Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

This is Sweet! Intel Realsense & IPS Modules for Typhoon H

Reaction score
This came as a surprise to me. It would seem from the photos below that the Intel Realsense module is physically connected to the IPS module (one unit). But, on the Yuneec parts list, it shows the Intel Realsense and IPS modules as two separate units?????

The first few pictures are of the Intel Realsense module and how it connects to your Typhoon H... notice that the IPS module appears to be part of it. This tells me that since you get both, the price will be $300 and up (just a guess).

REALSENSE1.jpg

REALSENSE2.jpg

IPS1.jpg

REALSENSE_IPS.jpg

This came as a surprise to me. It would seem from the photos below that the Intel Realsense module is physically connected to the IPS module (one unit). But, on the Yuneec parts list, it shows the Intel Realsense and IPS modules as two separate units?????

The first few pictures are of the Intel Realsense module and how it connects to your Typhoon H... notice that the IPS module appears to be part of it. This tells me that since you get both, the price will be $300 and up (just a guess).

View attachment 1010

View attachment 1011

View attachment 1012

View attachment 1013
Nice. I heard it will be $250 and that's coming from their PR team but we all know how PR can spin.

Looking forward to it!

Captain drone, it makes sense that realsense has ips because it needs it. The realsense cameras can see objects but to move around objects the drone has to make sure that it is high enough off the ground. Yuneec may be also selling the ips by itself for people that needs ips but don't need realsense. This is probably the reason for 2 part numbers.

I have yet to see any real description of the realsense modules capabilities, and/or why it would be an improvement over the stock obstacle avoidance system. Anyone have any real information on it?

Hi Captaindrone, from where you see this? cause i cannot find in yuneec website, so meaning this is not official launch yet.

Captain drone, it makes sense that realsense has ips because it needs it. The realsense cameras can see objects but to move around objects the drone has to make sure that it is high enough off the ground. Yuneec may be also selling the ips by itself for people that needs ips but don't need realsense. This is probably the reason for 2 part numbers.
True, good point.

I have yet to see any real description of the realsense modules capabilities, and/or why it would be an improvement over the stock obstacle avoidance system. Anyone have any real information on it?
If you watch the pre-production videos of the Typhoon using realsense it becomes apparent that it's a very nice option to have when needed. Right now the sonar avoidance is very basic and you end up with a slow moving Typhoon that just stops when sensing something large. With realsense you can move a bit faster and your Typhoon will have the ability to see smaller objects as well as go around, over or under them. Finally, imagine you have lost connection with your Typhoon and the RTH is engaged. With realsense it will go over and around objects on the way home (it can't do this currently). It's certainly not a necessary option for everyone, but for some, depending on how they are using their Typhoon H, it could certainly be a necessary option.

Reactions: Skypicswa
Hi Captaindrone, from where you see this? cause i cannot find in yuneec website, so meaning this is not official launch yet.
The realsense/IPS module has not launched yet. These are photos from recent drone shows where the product has been shown off.

If you watch the pre-production videos of the Typhoon using realsense it becomes apparent that it's a very nice option to have when needed. Right now the sonar avoidance is very basic and you end up with a slow moving Typhoon that just stops when sensing something large. With realsense you can move a bit faster and your Typhoon will have the ability to see smaller objects as well as go around, over or under them. Finally, imagine you have lost connection with your Typhoon and the RTH is engaged. With realsense it will go over and around objects on the way home (it can't do this currently). It's certainly not a necessary option for everyone, but for some, depending on how they are using their Typhoon H, it could certainly be a necessary option.
Or you could just say about a 60 degree viewing angle with technology developed by Yuneec or 360 degrees of protection developed by Intel.

he SINGLE Real Sense module demonstrated at CES on the H, and seen elsewhere, has a limited field of view that is just 59 degrees (per intel spec sheets).
To ACTUALLY get 360 degree 'protection" will require 6 real sense modules on the H as was demonstrated by Intel and Ascending Technologies at the 2015 CES show, NOT the dog and pony show put on at CES 2016.

As far as pricing for real sense..........From "Yuneec APV".......$399

Attachments

• 12920509_10156651641365537_6339936902735326217_n.jpg
    12920509_10156651641365537_6339936902735326217_n.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 90
Hmm, I wonder how Real Sense operates around birds. Had my H at the beach and birds started circling it like they were gonna attack or maybe curious. Needless to say I bring it closer to me and they left.

he SINGLE Real Sense module demonstrated at CES on the H, and seen elsewhere, has a limited field of view that is just 59 degrees (per intel spec sheets).
To ACTUALLY get 360 degree 'protection" will require 6 real sense modules on the H as was demonstrated by Intel and Ascending Technologies at the 2015 CES show, NOT the dog and pony show put on at CES 2016.

As far as pricing for real sense..........From "Yuneec APV".......$399
$399? YIKES! That is more than 1/4 the price of the Typhoon H package. $199 to $249 sounds more palatable for most consumers.

Reactions: Jussaguy
$399? YIKES! That is more than 1/4 the price of the Typhoon H package. $199 to $249 sounds more palatable for most consumers.

Stay tuned....the $399 price mentioned in the facebook post was for the H and JUST ONE module..........a single forward facing only, 60degree Horizontal FOV sensor with 10 meter or less detection capability at SLOW flying rates......in subdued light rather than the more typical harsh light/shadow environments typically flown in.

To make it all work as most people assume it will (based on the smoke and Mirror nonsense shown at the 2016CES) will require 6 modules/lens for 360 degree capability.......or in the end it will possibly be released with functionality limited to just STOP forward movement..just as the sensors currently on the H do.

For a glimpse of what 360 degree worth of Real sense "protection" will HAVE to look like, take a peak at this video and that dinner plate sized pile of 6 RS sensors on top of the drone

Yep your right about it just has forward facing. But really all you need is one if its on auto mode. It will slow down the drone with just one, but it can still do it. If it flies forward and stops because it senses something. If just needs to turn Drone sensor right so the sensor can point right before is moves to the right. There is really no front or back or sides on a Hex. It would be slow going flying that way.

Does anything know the max height the IPS system will work at?

I just want the IPS system as I know the Realsense will not help much in sun light. As you have begun to see that they have never show the Realsense in 100% sun light. Always in a building or under the protect of from the full sun under trees

Last edited:

View attachment 1010

View attachment 1011

View attachment 1012

View attachment 1013
How it is connected with the drone?

I seem to remember seeing a Video of 'Trent Siggard' explaining how the Realsense module will work on the 'H'. Can't find the Video Now but it seems that when Realsense is fitted (and activated), the 'H' will only move in a forward direction, so that side and rear sensors are not needed. This is somehow linked with the Camera, as the Camera can rotate 360 degrees, there is no need for the 'H' to fly sideways or backwards. Below the 'H' is covered by the IPS module and there is NO 'Above' the 'H' sensors. I guess (?) if you move the RH Stick to the Left -or- Right - or- Down, the 'H' will rotate to that direction and only move forwards, leaving the Camera facing what was the old forward position (or locked to front position, depending on camera settings [PAN Switch]).

Last edited:
Andy......All trent is saying there is the drones camera will stay locked on to an object in follow me mode, while the drone moves ONLY in its forward direction.

If it encounters an object........IT STOPS from hitting the object. The drone will now have to take the time to "LOOK" right and or left before continuing movement, process what the sensor 'sees" THAN move a few feet left or right around that branch it saw..... while the object it was supposed to follow(say the wizard controller) continues on its way now 50-100 feet or more further away and likely out of sight of the spinning cgo camera, whos view of the object it was supposed to follow, blocked by the next branch of leaves.

I suppose it can be made to work as Trent suggests and as you interpret his explanation, but flight would HAVE to be EXCRUCIATINGLY SLOW as the hex stops for objects in its way, than spins around, first looking right, to make sure nothing is in it way before it will move...... move a foot or 5.........than stop AGAIN and wait while it looks in the direction it was supposed to travel (following the wizard) before it will move again.

Reactions: Tecneek

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis