Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

TOILET BOWLING !

the only thing i would say is when you are landing don't come straight down , the prop wash of your drone creates a turbulence that has been posted before on many drone sites .

Yikes!
In my opinion that is very wrong. Coming straight down creates equal pressure all around from the props.

Regardless of wind, I have always descended to within 3 to 5 meters above the landing spot, in Angle Mode, OA off, and landed straight down. Three different THs, built at different times, all kept updated, and never a landing problem.

Yikes!
In my opinion that is very wrong. Coming straight down creates equal pressure all around from the props.

Regardless of wind, I have always descended to within 3 to 5 meters above the landing spot, in Angle Mode, OA off, and landed straight down. Three different THs, built at different times, all kept updated, and never a landing problem.
no offence but many drone pilots have had this problem and found if you yaw left or right you will come out of the TB spiral .

the only thing i would say is when you are landing don't come straight down , the prop wash of your drone creates a turbulence that has been posted before on many drone sites .

I have heard that tale far too many times. The only times I've experienced an unstable multirotor in a vertical descent is when the thrust level was so low the copter descended faster than the prop wash could. Meaning almost zero power, nearly in free fall, using systems where full down stick was zero prop speed. That H cannot descend that fast.

Oh, toilet bowling is not caused by GPS. Ever. Compass or incorrectly set PID's do this.

Oh, toilet bowling is not caused by GPS. Ever. Compass or incorrectly set PID's do this.
I agree that GPS does not cause toilet bowling. It is usually caused by compass error, which creates confusion for the flight controller as the heading does not match that which is computed from the change in position from the GPS. For most flight controllers, when you turn off GPS (switch to attitude mode) the compass is also ignored which stops the toilet bowling.

Yikes!

I agree completely, Ray!

When I encountered my flip issue, it was trying to land when I did not yet have the counter measure procedure down pat. My H was in its low level "oval pattern" and I tried to get it down. Wrong!

If she starts drifting back and forth, eventually into an oval or circle pattern, two options:

1) Gain altitude and try again, coming straight down and without hesitation, or...
2) Gain altitude, turn off GPS, and land as soon as feasible.

Trying to land with horizontal velocity, a little or a lot, is a recipe for an "eventful" landing.

Jeff

In the past several people had found if the H starts the TB thing, they gained altitude and it seems to stop and would start again when getting lower to the ground. They climbed again and turned off GPS and then could land normally. Of course if the wind is strong that makes it more difficult to fly.
Also, when you do your next compass calibration try facing North. While there is no mention of that in the manual, it was a requirement with the Q500.
More often than not, the H is attempting to lock into the GPS location, it is literally circling around the spot, I will just jack it up a foot or two, now it has a new GPS spot and will stay there.

I just experienced my first TB and eventual Crash. I took off after 10 minutes of allowing the H to acquire a lock on Satellites. H was locked on 14 ans ST was locked on to 12. I started the motors and took it up 100 feet so I could record the view around my backyard. I hovered for around five minutes. The the H began to circle in I guess is called TB mode. I was flying in angle mode all the time. I lowered the landing gear and began my approach to land. The H response was jerky at best and when I held the left joy stick all the way down, it would not descend. I then toggled to Home and the H took off like a bat out of ****. I quickly toggled back to angle and again tried to land. The H began to TB again and this time got too close to the trees in the back yard.
Fortunately, I was able to get a ladder up the tree and rescue the poor bugger. The gimbal mount was damaged and broke two propellers. I have not done and further investigation on any other damage. I recovered the telemetry and plan to send it to Yuneec on Monday. Does anyone have any comments that will help me plead my case with Yuneec?

I just experienced my first TB and eventual Crash. I took off after 10 minutes of allowing the H to acquire a lock on Satellites. H was locked on 14 ans ST was locked on to 12. I started the motors and took it up 100 feet so I could record the view around my backyard. I hovered for around five minutes. The the H began to circle in I guess is called TB mode. I was flying in angle mode all the time. I lowered the landing gear and began my approach to land. The H response was jerky at best and when I held the left joy stick all the way down, it would not descend. I then toggled to Home and the H took off like a bat out of ****. I quickly toggled back to angle and again tried to land. The H began to TB again and this time got too close to the trees in the back yard.
Fortunately, I was able to get a ladder up the tree and rescue the poor bugger. The gimbal mount was damaged and broke two propellers. I have not done and further investigation on any other damage. I recovered the telemetry and plan to send it to Yuneec on Monday. Does anyone have any comments that will help me plead my case with Yuneec?

Dick,

Sorry to hear of your ordeal. Any chance you can describe what the flight or attitude of your H looked like when it was failing to fly correctly? Reason I ask is to continue my own research. I am suspecting we are seeing two different scenarios being termed "Toilet Bowl" and am trying to get some differentiation and your help is most appreciated.

Did it seem like your H was in a gentle circle around a point, or was it a more violent rotation, even pitching your H round and round (your camera, instead of at vertical, could have been angled 10, 20, 30 degrees or more).

Or, was the flight path more like a side to side, back and forth motion that eventually turns itself into an oval rather than a circle?

The latter is what I have been experiencing, intermittently, at about 4 feet. Lifting higher than 4 feet, or turning off GPS stopped this side to side to oval flight path. Also, i have been looking for TB videos. So far, all I have seen is more of the side to side path that eventually becomes an oval, rather than the violent circling some have described.

As for Yuneec, here are some recommendations as to being prepared:

1. Write down as much as you can remember, including: temperature, wind speed, cloud cover, time of day.
  2. While telemetry can show voltages, switch settings, stick inputs, et al, if you can record what you remember, the better prepared you will be when you talk to customer support as well as having your email ready to send.
  3. While you state you took off with 14 satellites on the H, do you recall how many had been acquired by the time you reached 100 feet>
  4. Tell it like it happened. We all need to know what is causing these abnormal flights so... facts help. Saving face does not.
By the way, I expect others to chime in with respect to your satellite count. 14 is a bit low for me. I usually wait for 17, even 18 or more. Could be more of a personal preference, but 14 for me is just too low.

----

Now for some additional personal research questions:

Before you took off to 100 feet, did you do any pre-checks such as:

- hover between 4 and 10 feet, ensuring GPS and compass are able to hold consistent position.
- ensure battery voltage is sufficient for the expected duration of your flight.
- check response with some simple left to right, right to left, forward/backward maneuvers to ensure controls are responsive AND letting the sticks go to neutral stops your H and resumes stationary hover.

(By the way, before lift off, I make sure I remember how to quickly turn off GPS in case the need arises!)

Since my first low level oval flight incident, I have incorporated those simple pre and post lift-off checks to make sure everything is working and low-level hover is possible. If I sense something not right, I am able to either gain altitude and regain stable flight, or turn off GPS to do the same. I only had to resort to "procedures" a couple times. Being prepared for them has definitely saved the day.

Looking forward to reading your kind replies, and also looking forward to the resolution you receive from Yuneec.

Good luck!

Jeff

Last edited:
Sorry for delay in posting the video link , The new software I got is pretty awesome .

Dooogie,

Thanks for posting!

This is exactly what I believe most are experiencing, those who report "toilet bowling".

Except for a brief sequence around the pickup truck, I didn't notice any attempts to gain significant altitude (at least 10 - 20 feet, at minimum). Did I miss it or was my observation correct?

Experiences are showing, if altitude is regained, a 'recovery' landing is very possible. Once the H starts oscillating, there are only two, wait three things that can stop it or at least reduce it enough to land successfully:

1. Gain altitude (10 - 20 feet at minimum, stabilize flight - steady hover should be regained - attempt landing again.
  2. Gain altitude, turn off GPS, carefully bring back to landing zone and land.
  3. Extreme emergency - get as low and safe as possible - be ready to kill motors (red button)! - successful landing, in this last context, is subject to interpretation. (Remember: Good landing - pilot walks away. Great landing - the craft is reusable!)
After repeating this a few times in different threads, I may create a new one altogether... thinking about it anyway.

Interested in reading whether you actually tried gaining altitude once this low level oscillation started.

Jeff

Turn ST on , remove gimble lock , set H down on lvl ground , turn H on , get back 30 feet , turn props on in safe/turtle , take off . I am going to try to edit the vid and post it , I got really lucky !

Fly only in Angle Mode for a couple weeks. Also, at the first sign of a craft problem, raise it up above nearby objects, trees.
For awhile, fly out in open areas.

turn props on in safe/turtle , take off .

You should always take off with full power. Angle/rabbit, this way you have power to overcome wind and other forces. Be acertive when taking off, get up 5 to 10 feet to minimize ground effect.

Reactions: FlushVision

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frida Gold