Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H - Controls backward?

Reaction score
Ok. So maiden didn't go well (or at all really). No crash, but almost. The controls appear to be backwards (at least on pitch and roll) and on takeoff, there was an aggressive drift backward with no input.

As for the reversed controls, having built many multi-rotors, I am not a stranger to controls that need to be reversed, and I would immediately look to doing so, but I figured I would check here before rooting around for that solution. I am new to Yuneec, but kinda surprised that it was that wonky right out of the box.

I didn't calibrate the compass because it didn't make me, so, perhaps, that might help?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Not sure, but it might have been a false alarm or user error.

The first attempt was in smart mode which might have accounted for the reversed controls but, I assume, not for aggressively moving backward on takeoff. Perhaps it is not appropriate to take off in that mode? I figured smart mode sounded good, so why not try that first. :) I have not repeated that test because I don't want to destroy it yet.

However, I just tried another test with "angle" mode and it worked fine and the aircraft flew well and seemed stable enough. It is a familiar feel for a "stability or angle" mode on other flight controllers, though this one seems to really want to level out, even while in forward flight it kinda seems to hesitate a tiny bit. That did not seem to translate into the footage.

Anyway, I only flew around the yard (1 acre) a little bit but everything seemed to function. (gear, camera movement, gimbal stability, record start/stop etc.)

Was obstacle avoidance on in take-off? If so, look at the black sheet (opposite side of LED lite codes), turn it off before landing but I think also before take-off. If it saw something right in front of it, it may have been trying to back up and get away.

Thanks. I believe that it was off, but I will have to double check when I get up the nerve to I do another smart mode test.

I did test the OA when I was in angle mode (I had to switch it on which is why I think it was off before but I can't be 100% certain.). It seemed to work as expected. It detected my house and a full tree quite well. The light post it did see if pointed directly at it, but it would have clipped it if not pointed directly at it. This is consistent with the results of a test I did with the Phantom 4.

In the limited test flights I've had, taking off in Smart Mode is not such a good idea when powering up with the GCS and H too close together; it confuses the FC causing erratic movements from stick commands. I see this with Arducopter too, so keep them a good distance apart before booting up, take off in Angle (stabilize in AC) then switch to Smart Mode.

Reactions: HarveyC
Watch for a flashing purple light (or alternating between purple and white I think) when in Angle mode to tell you GPS lock is okay. At the present time, I do not trust Smart mode but will use it when follow me, etc.

Not sure, but it might have been a false alarm or user error.

The first attempt was in smart mode which might have accounted for the reversed controls but, I assume, not for aggressively moving backward on takeoff. Perhaps it is not appropriate to take off in that mode? I figured smart mode sounded good, so why not try that first. :) I have not repeated that test because I don't want to destroy it yet.

However, I just tried another test with "angle" mode and it worked fine and the aircraft flew well and seemed stable enough. It is a familiar feel for a "stability or angle" mode on other flight controllers, though this one seems to really want to level out, even while in forward flight it kinda seems to hesitate a tiny bit. That did not seem to translate into the footage.

Anyway, I only flew around the yard (1 acre) a little bit but everything seemed to function. (gear, camera movement, gimbal stability, record start/stop etc.)
You be careful with smart,I'm a Yuneec owner and many new guys crash right off while in smart,the unit will scoot so fast out of control trying to get to its safe zone of 35 ft radius from the st controller,trust me if your experienced go angle.

Watch for a flashing purple light (or alternating between purple and white I think) when in Angle mode to tell you GPS lock is okay. At the present time, I do not trust Smart mode but will use it when follow me, etc.
Purple for angle,green for smart red for return home,flashing red lights Loss of gps,also when batteries get low Yuneecs will flash one red light 75 percent,two reds 50 percent battery,and so on.at least that's what my Yuneecs do,I'm hoping the H is the same.yuneecs also have their certain soundings also that are Easey to learn.

Reactions: HarveyC
Great! Thanks. Have flown a couple of more times with just angle mode and it really looks and flies nice. The footage looks crisp and stable. I'm impressed overall.

You be careful with smart,I'm a Yuneec owner and many new guys crash right off while in smart,the unit will scoot so fast out of control trying to get to its safe zone of 35 ft radius from the st controller,trust me if your experienced go angle.

Yeah. I watched a couple of videos with the Q4k and that problem. Thankfully I was able to keep it from crashing and set it down but it was not what I was initially hoping for.

In the limited test flights I've had, taking off in Smart Mode is not such a good idea when powering up with the GCS and H too close together; it confuses the FC causing erratic movements from stick commands. I see this with Arducopter too, so keep them a good distance apart before booting up, take off in Angle (stabilize in AC) then switch to Smart Mode.

Interesting, I have never tried to use smart orientation mode or geo fence with Arducopter, but it makes sense that it would try to immediately fly away from the controller if too close.

Cool that there are other 3DR folks out there. (non-solo). Sometimes I feel all alone with them. Definitely fun to tinker with and do missions and stuff but, as you know, it is way more of a hobby platform. (imho)

I can not find the thread on here, but SMART MODE has been called the CIRCLE OF DEATH.
If you attempt to take off in SMART MODE and are too close to the H, The H will attempt to jump away from you and reach a height of approx 25-30 feet. All the H knows is that you are too close and I need to get away. By get away I mean into a tree, house, or whatever obstacle is near by. Smart mode also puts the H into what most call a headless mode. Your controls will move the H as viewed from YOUR ground point. Move the stick forward and it will fly further away even though the nose is pointed right at you. Move the stick left and it will go left.
On the ST16 there is an arrow to tell you which way to fly home, I am not sure if that is in all modes or just angle.

DO NOT TAKE OFF IN SMART MODE

Last edited:
I can not find the thread on here, but SAFE MODE has been called the CIRCLE OF DEATH.
If you attempt to take off in SAFE MODE and are too close to the H, The H will attempt to jump away from you and reach a height of approx 25-30 feet. All the H knows is that you are too close and I need to get away. By get away I mean into a tree, house, or whatever obstacle is near by. Safe mode also puts the H into what most call a headless mode. Your controls will move the H as viewed from YOUR ground point. Move the stick forward and it will fly further away even though the nose is pointed right at you. Move the stick left and it will go left.
On the ST16 there is an arrow to tell you which way the nose is pointed, I am not sure if that is in all modes or just angle.

DO NOT TAKE OFF IN SAFE MODE
I've been saying that over and over casually for months on this forum,I'm surprised how word is slowly coming to light.I have my own early experience with the safe death,when I got my first Yuneec product,which was tha Chroma.

It's Smart mode, not Safe, but it is neither when used while taking off or landing. Obstacle avoidance should also be off, though Real Sense will supposedly work better and be fine for landing.

Actually, the arrow on the ST16 screen points to where the home is (take off point). If it's pointing down, you are flying away from home and pointing up means you are flying towards home.

Noted: Do not take off in smart mode! Luckily it was not a crash (plenty of room to wrestle it to the ground). However, if an inexperienced pilot was in that situation, I think it would have been catastrophic.

Perhaps a software interlock that enforces turning off smart mode and OD before liftoff would be in order.

Any Yuneec comments on this?

I am new to flying and I have not touched smart mode at all. I have found the H to be very easy to fly in angle mode as long as you take your time with it and pay attention to what your doing.

I've been saying that over and over casually for months on this forum,I'm surprised how word is slowly coming to light.I have my own early experience with the safe death,when I got my first Yuneec product,which was tha Chroma.

So taking off and landing be in angle mode for best results right?

I will be getting my H in few days so don't want to crash the darn thing right off the bat.

What is the purpose of this circle of death thing you call it, to protect the operator.

All my landings have been very smooth, this is what I do:

Make sure its in angle mode
Tortoise Speed
Landing gear down
Hover a little as I get closer and full throttle down
Once it touches and I hear to motors idle I let throttle go
Turn off

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members