Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H jerky video

Reaction score
Hiya,

This is the 2nd flight since I've uploaded the latest firmware.
The aircraft flies great, did my best ever landing but I unfortunately didn't film it, however the video I did take was really jerky.
The photos I took on the flight previous looks fine.

I've played back on several machines but the result is the same.

The camera settings I used were 1920x1080p @ 30fps raw.

Any suggestions on how to resolve the issue would be appreciated.

Keep it in the big blue

R

Reactions: Dooogie
That is the FPV video from the ST-16 - basically the view you see on the controller whilst you're flying. It breaks up if you don't have a good signal. Make sure your aerial is connected properly and pointing the right way.

The video you recorded should be on the SD-Card you have in the camera itself, and should be absolutely fine. Note that the video you uploaded is not 1920x1080 - it should fill most screens.

That is the FPV video from the ST-16 - basically the view you see on the controller whilst you're flying. It breaks up if you don't have a good signal. Make sure your aerial is connected properly and pointing the right way.

The video you recorded should be on the SD-Card you have in the camera itself, and should be absolutely fine. Note that the video you uploaded is not 1920x1080 - it should fill most screens.

The video on the SD card is exactly the same but you have jogged my memory however with regards to the signal.
Just after my post take off checks a message appeared on the ST16 screen basically saying that there's been a loss of signal "RC connected WiFi connecting". I kept the aircraft in the hover to see if it resolved itself and I got the camera view back about a minute after and all seemed fine so I proceeded with the flight.

As part of my preflight I conduct a spectral analysis and nothing untoward appeared on the 2.4 Ghz band but I didn't check the 5.8 Ghz frequency. Something to consider.

I'll run some ground checks to see if the message repeats itself and check any footage that I take.

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.

R

WOW , you are in the ULTIMATE drone country !!

I don't know about that but I'll take compliments in all forms, cash, cheque, credit card. ;)

This is in the SE of England. Not far from Canterbury in Kent. Very picturesque, especially during the summer.

The video on the SD card is exactly the same
R

It's very hard to diagnose a problem with a video if you share a completely different video :)

The green flashes on the video you shared are fairly typical of decoding errors due to corrupt data. That happens with wirelessly transmitted video, but very rarely with video stored to card unless the card is very low spec. If you have a good quality SD-Card and you're still seeing those flashes and misaligned blocks, then there is something physically wrong with your camera (or just possibly with your PC).

The most common causes of problems when playing back on your PC are slow card readers or old graphics cards. Both of those can cause jerky video, but the effect tends to be that you see stuttering rather than corruption - that's why it's important to see what the 'jerky video' looks like to understand which sort of effect you're describing. You can eliminate that as a source of problem by uploading to YouTube - it will convert the video and play back on just about any device, so if it plays well on YouTube, then it's your PC that's the issue.

It's very hard to diagnose a problem with a video if you share a completely different video :)

The green flashes on the video you shared are fairly typical of decoding errors due to corrupt data. That happens with wirelessly transmitted video, but very rarely with video stored to card unless the card is very low spec. If you have a good quality SD-Card and you're still seeing those flashes and misaligned blocks, then there is something physically wrong with your camera (or just possibly with your PC).

The most common causes of problems when playing back on your PC are slow card readers or old graphics cards. Both of those can cause jerky video, but the effect tends to be that you see stuttering rather than corruption - that's why it's important to see what the 'jerky video' looks like to understand which sort of effect you're describing. You can eliminate that as a source of problem by uploading to YouTube - it will convert the video and play back on just about any device, so if it plays well on YouTube, then it's your PC that's the issue.

I've sent Yuneec UK an email requesting their assistance and they came back with the the opinion that it could be a corrupted firmware update so they've offered to update the camera themselves, once I send it back, give it a clean bill of health and then return it.

The SD card is a class 10 card and I've played the video back on at least 4 machines (3 PCs and a 4K TV) all with the same result. I might just get another card anyway in case this one is faulty and even if it isn't it won't hurt to have a spare.

Any more advice would be very welcome.

I've sent Yuneec UK an email requesting their assistance and they came back with the the opinion that it could be a corrupted firmware update so they've offered to update the camera themselves, once I send it back, give it a clean bill of health and then return it.

The SD card is a class 10 card and I've played the video back on at least 4 machines (3 PCs and a 4K TV) all with the same result. I might just get another card anyway in case this one is faulty and even if it isn't it won't hurt to have a spare.

Any more advice would be very welcome.
Ive had the same issue, sent it in twice and both times they have said my camera is fine. Its definately not. Has a jerky motion at certain points. I think it may be a firmware issue as well. Yuneec wants me to send it in again at my cost but getting tired of the run around and saying nothing is wrong with it after spending shipping fees etc and it still doing what it does. Yuneec is frustrating me at this point because if it is a software issue who reimburses me the shipping costs?

Ive had the same issue, sent it in twice and both times they have said my camera is fine. Its definately not. Has a jerky motion at certain points. I think it may be a firmware issue as well. Yuneec wants me to send it in again at my cost but getting tired of the run around and saying nothing is wrong with it after spending shipping fees etc and it still doing what it does. Yuneec is frustrating me at this point because if it is a software issue who reimburses me the shipping costs?

I'll keep an eye on what they're doing but of course it'll be in their best interest to sort me out, especially when I'm going to need a 4th battery at some point. I appreciate the heads up though.

of course it'll be in their best interest to sort me out, especially when I'm going to need a 4th battery at some point.

Really now, a fourth battery is all it takes to be a big spender these days?.

Video that works most of the time but becomes jerky at others does not sound like a flight or camera system firm/software issue. That stuff works or it doesn't. Play back is where most video problems occur, be they from corrupted data, lack or codecs, screen resolution, graphics card deficiencies, etc. A fairly large number of people buy Super HD camera but try play back and editing on machines that lack the ability to deal with the large amount of data. Only so much can be crammed into a given size pipe in a given amount of time. Try to ram too much and things back up, becoming jerky. Same thing happens when people try to view HD video when they have slow internet speed. It buffers a lot. If you have a still camera that has a high FPS rate it will also back up by around the 18th or 20th frame to allow the data to transfer to the SD card.

Another thing that causes jerky video is the easiest to resolve. Assure the anti vibration dampeners at the gimbal are correctly seated in their mounting holes.

Last edited:
I had the same problem playing my video on a HP Pavilion G7-1150us laptop but I switched to a newer laptop and had no problem. Also had no problem when I played it on the ST-16. But it seems you are having the same problem on a few laptops. Hope you resolve your problem.

Sponge

PatR, ive got the newest HP core 7 with 16 gigs of ram and an SSD hard drive and mine is still not playing correctly. Ive tried several different sdcards (u3)as well same outcome. Tried 1080p and all still has it. What do you think? And its not the dampners. Been to the repair shop twice and they still dont know what it is.

My final thoughts are be careful if Yuneec tells you to send it to Drone Nerds in Florida. I wouldnt recommend them at all. KAV in Kansas might be a better place.

Last edited:
Hello all.
Thank you for your replies.
I've got the camera back from Yuneec UK and they informed that the SD card was not working correctly. They replaced it, a test flight followed and is working as it should be.
I tested the camera on a flight a couple of days ago, at the original site and all working at 3840 x 2160@24fps. Now got a happy client. I'll post a link to the vid once I've down res'ed it.

I'm still getting the warning message however with regards to "RC connected Wifi connecting.." but I'll leave that for another post.

Thank you all.
Keep it in the Big Blue.

I just sent my H off to Yuneec USA
the tech said that it sounds like the st16's on board processor is failing and they will change the motherboard for a new one

I'm new here. I am having trouble taking my video & burning it to a DVD. It seems as though if the video is around 5 min. it is jerky. The only way I can watch the longer clips is if I put it on a memory stick, any suggestions?

Reactions: SirJohn99
I'm new here. I am having trouble taking my video & burning it to a DVD. It seems as though if the video is around 5 min. it is jerky. The only way I can watch the longer clips is if I put it on a memory stick, any suggestions?
Three obvious questions spring to my mind...
1. What software are you using to burn the DVD and is it up to handling footage from the H?
2. If it is 4K footage you want to burn onto a DVD, do you get better results if in 1080P resolution?
3. Do you get any jerkyness in edited footage from your editor?

The reason why I ask this is that my own experience is that a lot can depend on the software and robustness of your computer hardware. For example, I tried to use Davinci Resolve 12.5 as my editor but while it rendered footage from my Phantom 2 Vision Plus quite smoothly without any jerkiness, the same couldn't be said of footage shot at the same resolution from the H no matter what rendering settings I tried. In the end I determined that my computer wasn't quite up to the task and Davinvi Resolve was demanding a bit more from my computer than my computer could provide.

I successfully resolved this issue by changing my video editor to one that would run better on my computer (a 6 year old lap-top with an i5 processor and 8gig memory).

Could it be, then, simply a case of trying different software to burn your DVD to get the results you are looking for?

Reactions: jgreaves
Thanks for the info.
I own a surface laptop what editing software would you recommend? All I want to do is video places & be able to put the video on a DVD.

Hiya,
Just to finalise the start of my thread this is the end result.

Thanks again for your replies.

R

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval