Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H refusing to throttle down and land

Reaction score
hey guys, new to the forum. Wanted to see if anyone else had a similar issue;

flew the H for the first time three times this evening. First flight was fine.

The last two it didn't want to land. Not sure what's up.

In angle mode, collision avoidance off, turtle speed and when I was bringing it in it started to act squirrelly, hovering in tight circles with no input on the controls. Got it stable and lowered it to the ground but it never decelerated and would bounce/skip off. The first ended up costing a couple of props to a wooden fence and the second ended up upside down on grass with no damage thankfully. Any idea what's up with that? Why is it not decelerating to idle with ground contact? Is it a calibration issue I'm missing? Thanks in advance!

In angle mode, collision avoidance off, turtle speed and when I was bringing it in it started to act squirrelly, hovering in tight circles with no input on the controls. Got it stable and lowered it to the ground but it never decelerated and would bounce/skip off. The first ended up costing a couple of props to a wooden fence and the second ended up upside down on grass with no damage thankfully. Any idea what's up with that? Why is it not decelerating to idle with ground contact? Is it a calibration issue I'm missing? Thanks in advance!

Your experience is not unique it seems. There are several (I won't say many) who have experienced very similar flight characteristics. I may be going out on a limb here, but I am honestly starting to think the problem is with the ST16 controller and not the Typhoon H. Evidence now seems to be pointing in that direction from the posts I've been reading.

Reactions: Dr Delta

Compass calibration and Accelerometer Calibration if you have not done already !

Reactions: David Wilson
Check the Altitude estimate when landing. Yuneec told me poor compass performance will cause altitude errors and to recalibrate, however compass calibration was done twice successfully. I asked that they checked it out while my H was there. Now that I have it back the barometer needs to acclimate not only to the environment, but the temperature inside the body it seems.

I would try taking it out of turtle mode. Rabbit might give you more control. Sounds like you are doing everything correctly. Make sure the H is level before and during boot. That is critical to stability and hover.

Reactions: Brian Mackey
Your experience is not unique it seems. There are several (I won't say many) who have experienced very similar flight characteristics. I may be going out on a limb here, but I am honestly starting to think the problem is with the ST16 controller and not the Typhoon H. Evidence now seems to be pointing in that direction from the posts I've been reading.

I recalibrated but my altitude readings are all over the place when it's sitting on the ground. I recalibrated a little while ago and went from .5 feet while landed to resting at 14.2 and its swinging all the way to 17+ with the drone at rest. Open sky above too. Now no wifi to camera. Something's wrong. Thanks for the responses everyone.

I have had this happen to me just tonight. I have about 50 flights on mine with no problems except what you are describing has happened to me on one other occasion as well. I always fly in angle
mode and I was in rabbit mode and tried changing it back and forth and had no affect. The time it happened tonight I just for the heck of it turned on obstacle avoidance which I never use just to see what it would do going towards a change link fence. Once I turned it off and tried to land is when I had this problem, dont know if there was any relation to that at all. For me I dont ever fly with obstacle ovoidance on , was just in the mood to see what it would do.

When in Angle mode the altitude reference is irrelevant to landing. It does what it's directed to regardless of the reported altitude. Command descend and it's supposed to descend. Try stopping the descent about a foot off the ground and then land to see what happens.

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
When in Angle mode the altitude reference is irrelevant to landing. It does what it's directed to regardless of the reported altitude. Command descend and it's supposed to descend. Try stopping the descent about a foot off the ground and then land to see what happens.

The problem is stick input stops working completely, it just hovers there and does nothing. On the 2 occasions it happened to me it took about 30-50 seconds before it finally very very slowly descended and was able to land. Both times was about 15-20 feet up when it would not descend. And in Angle mode both times. Dont use smart (dumb) mode. Dont use smart (dumb) mode.

Sure you weren't in smart mode or have object avoidance on? Those are the only times I have issues.

So what are we thinking here, sensitive compass detecthing metals in the ground as the compass controls direction not altitude?

Was this the same location as your first flight?

I have had this happen to me just tonight. I have about 50 flights on mine with no problems except what you are describing has happened to me on one other occasion as well. I always fly in angle
mode and I was in rabbit mode and tried changing it back and forth and had no affect. The time it happened tonight I just for the heck of it turned on obstacle avoidance which I never use just to see what it would do going towards a change link fence. Once I turned it off and tried to land is when I had this problem, dont know if there was any relation to that at all. For me I dont ever fly with obstacle ovoidance on , was just in the mood to see what it would do.

As noted above, all the problems of the Typhoon H are pointing to the ST16. Without going into detail, I'll provide the simple explanation. The Typhoon H will only respond to commands from the ST16 controller. There has to be a system in place whereby the ST16 controller sends a command and receives a response that it has been actioned by the Typhoon H. I'm thinking that the Typhoon H is not receiving the command yet the ST16 thinks it has and carries on, which then results in a conflict... the Typhoon H is doing one thing and the ST16 thinks it's doing something else.

The problem is stick input stops working completely, it just hovers there and does nothing. On the 2 occasions it happened to me it took about 30-50 seconds before it finally very very slowly descended and was able to land. Both times was about 15-20 feet up when it would not descend. And in Angle mode both times. Dont use smart (dumb) mode. Dont use smart (dumb) mode.
That was the resulting cause of my crash. Eventually, others at some point in time "may" experience the same thing (if there is a disconnect between the ST16 and the Typhoon H). If this happens and you're in a large field and have plenty of battery power you can get the drone down safely. If not a large field and low battery power, your options are limited.

Last edited:
That was the resulting cause of my crash. Eventually, others at some point in time on this forum will experience the same thing (there is a disconnect between the ST16 and the Typhoon H). If this happens and you're in a large field and have plenty of battery power you can get the drone down safely. If not a large field and low battery power, your options are limited.
If there is a disconnect between the 16 and the H, as long as it has GPS it should RTH, mine has!

I'm afraid I don't quite understand your explanation Captaindrone, there is not that level of communication between the two when in a normal flight mode its just throttle down, yaw etc rather than in a flight mode like watch me or orbit, or cable cam whereas either the ST-16 or H is checking location against a predefined plan.

It doesn't for example say

ST-16 to H - throttle down
ST-16 to H - did you get lower?
H to ST-16 - no still at 10 feet
ST-16 to H - well throttle down I asked you to throttle down
H to ST-16 - ok ok keep your shirt on, I am now at 8 feet

Now if the compass is off it'll spirl looking for north.

If the barometer is off it may think, "wait I am descending and not receiving stick input so I am getting blown down by an external force, I best throttle up".

or the accelerometer may be saying, "hang on it feels like I am descending but I am not receiving stick input I best thottle up".

I guess the throttle may be stuck up but then it would take off and climb when in normal flight.

Its an odd one, what does the telemetry logs say?

sd, Have you done "all" the calibrations, imu/acc/comp ? to rule out any of them, at this point if you haven't it can't hurt to do them and maybe saving you a trip back to Yuneec

If there is a disconnect between the 16 and the H, as long as it has GPS it should RTH, mine has!
I certainly agree with that as long as there is sufficient battery power. When the problems occur, as we've seen in posts, it's as if the Typhoon H thinks the ground is at a much higher height, so descents are massively slow and it tends to just hover and not respond.

Just a guess, but I think many of these issues will disappear with the introduction of the Realsense/IPS. The reason I say this is because if there is a disconnect in readings between the ST16 and the Typhoon H, the Typhoon H will now be able to rely on many of it's own readings. Perhaps when the Typhoon H was designed, it was always designed with the Realsense/IPS as part of the entire system. When they went to a modular system, the firmware had to be rewritten to operate with less sensors & rely more on the ST16 (just thinking out loud).

Reactions: AllJoy Drone Guy
I certainly agree with that as long as there is sufficient battery power. When the problems occur, as we've seen in posts, it's as if the Typhoon H thinks the ground is at a much higher height, so descents are massively slow and it tends to just hover and not respond.

Just a guess, but I think many of these issues will disappear with the introduction of the Realsense/IPS. The reason I say this is because if there is a disconnect in readings between the ST16 and the Typhoon H, the Typhoon H will now be able to rely on many of it's own readings. Perhaps when the Typhoon H was designed, it was always designed with the Realsense/IPS as part of the entire system. When they went to a modular system, the firmware had to be rewritten to operate with less sensors & rely more on the ST16 (just thinking out loud).
Very possible!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval