Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H would not land; had to cut off the motors; crashed broke arm, propellers, camera housing...

I always stop at 10 feet or so, just in case there might be issues. I test all my normal flight controls to make sure they are functioning properly.
Try this, go and stop at 10 feet, then try to land from there, then try 15 feet and do the same, then in 5 foot intervals up to 25 feet.
Lets find out where it may be causing it to not descend at a certain height.
Remember if you can't descend then try this, Tap red button do not hold it down.
Each time you tap it, it descends.

Last edited:
What I normally do is start the engine and go high, say 50+ feet, so I do not stop at 5 feet or about there. I fly high and away.

Icarus,

You have stated:

1) you can hover at any altitude.
2) you shoot up to 50 feet or so upon take-off.

I don’t recall if you have stated you have actually tried just lifting off to about 6 feet or so, stayed there, and tried to land from that same low altitude, as has been suggested as a test.

Have you tried? If so, what was the outcome?

If not yet tried, can you, before you send it back (again)?

That is what AH-1G was trying to have you try. I am also curious as to the results of this test.

Jeff

[Ed. Looks like AH-1G were composing at the same time, hence stating basically the same thing. I was referring to post #37 with my questions.]

Last edited:
Reactions: AH-1G
@HOBBYMAN45324
When you first start and lift off the ground, how high off the ground do you start? Can you first hover at 6 feet or so?
When descending, have you tried using the red on/off button to descend slowly? Tap red button do not hold it down.

Moderator note:
Bump the red button. Do not hold it in which will shut off the motors.
Thank you. So what you are really saying is do not send the drone back to the shop to be checked but play with it until I am comfortable with the options to bring it down if it does not land again, right?

I always stop at 10 feet or so, just in case there might be issues. I test all my normal flight controls to make sure they are functioning properly.
Try this, go and stop at 10 feet, then try to land from there, then try 15 feet and do the same, then in 5 foot intervals up to 25 feet.
Remember if you can't descend then try this, Tap red button do not hold it down.
OK. I will test heights next time I go out. Right now it is raining here in Maryland, so will have to wait till tomorrow: 10ft, 15ft, 20ft, etc increments to land. Thank you.

This is definitely a good practice. I remember reading when they did the Apollo 11 moon landing, the first thing they did after landing on the moon was test their systems for the liftoff sequence so they would know immediately if things were not ok giving them maximum time to respond.

I have had the h do the "I'm not going to land" thing. I may be missing the jist of this discussion but I wanted to throw this out. When my I'm not going to land happened it was some time between flights that it occurred. I attributed it to not locking the satellite down. I changed batteries and it landed as it should the next time, which gave credence to me that it was probably the satellite/gps that caused the issue.

Is the consensus that it's the barometer alone or the barometer and the satellite or some other combo?

Reactions: Steve Carr
Is the consensus that it's the barometer alone or the barometer and the satellite or some other combo?
I'm not convinced the cause is the barometer. It is a rough instrument. All barometric altimeters are subject to inaccuracies in part due to changes in temp. I've seen all kinds of altitude readings when landing the H. I have also noted it is entirely possible to make a hard landing if the throttle is held down fully. That would suggest the altimeter is not being used for ground detection.

I suggest checking the Rabbit/Turtle slider and the throttle in Hardware Monitor to make certain it goes full scale. Then try the landing again making sure you are in Rabbit and Angle mode. If it still doesn't want to land, turn off the GPS and see if it will land.

Reactions: Ty Pilot and AH-1G
From what I recall on this thread someone had said that this was all figured out. I would assume that there could be numerous issues causing the no landing thing to occur. Maybe it's those pesky wood magnets!

Reactions: Steve Carr
I'm not convinced the cause is the barometer. It is a rough instrument. All barometric altimeters are subject to inaccuracies in part due to changes in temp. I've seen all kinds of altitude readings when landing the H. I have also noted it is entirely possible to make a hard landing if the throttle is held down fully. That would suggest the altimeter is not being used for ground detection.

I suggest checking the Rabbit/Turtle slider and the throttle in Hardware Monitor to make certain it goes full scale. Then try the landing again making sure you are in Rabbit and Angle mode. If it still doesn't want to land, turn off the GPS and see if it will land.
Thank you Steve and everyone else. It helps to hear of the experience of others and how they deal with issues.

Having not read the entire thread, just the last 10 or so posts, does this problem H have Real Sense? If so, assure it it turned off for landing.

Neither the barometer nor GPS has any affect on landing except with finding home position. Lacking Real Sense the standard H has nothing that references a ground position altitude. It neither senses the ground or stores ground height in memory for landing purposes. In short, the H does not at any time care where the ground is.

In short, failure to descend has to be a control issue, not a sensor issue. If battery level is sufficient, try switching to RTH if it won’t descend. It would of course rise up to RTH height but initiate an auto descent afterwards. If it successfully descends to the ground you would have a good indication of a sticking control function.

Reactions: Icarus-50
Having not read the entire thread, just the last 10 or so posts, does this problem H have Real Sense? If so, assure it it turned off for landing.

Neither the barometer nor GPS has any affect on landing except with finding home position. Lacking Real Sense the standard H has nothing that references a ground position altitude. It neither senses the ground or stores ground height in memory for landing purposes. In short, the H does not at any time care where the ground is.

In short, failure to descend has to be a control issue, not a sensor issue. If battery level is sufficient, try switching to RTH if it won’t descend. It would of course rise up to RTH height but initiate an auto descent afterwards. If it successfully descends to the ground you would have a good indication of a sticking control function.
What you say makes sense partially except for the fact that when I had the issue the pump the kill button sort of worked and made it so I could descend with a hard landing. I took it up after a battery change and had no issues.

This appears to be the issue that no one knows what causes the problem for sure. I've only had it happen once and it was after it sat for some time. I suppose that was coincidence. When it does happen it is concerning. Having the controls mess up one time also seems improbable.

Bumping the arming button causes a temporary power interruption, reducing RPM. That’s why it descends. It’s why that method can be extremely detrimental to the life of the aircraft. We simply don’t know the timeframe involved for the power interrupt to go from temporary to permanent. Hold it just a little too long and...

If we question things for a moment, if the H had a ground position memory that established how far it needed to descend in order to land, would we still be able to fly at altitudes lower than launch height without first over riding a launch height limit? We know a standard H does not possess a ground proximity sensor.

The timing for the red button is 2 sec for motor start and 3 sec for shutdown.

You are spot-on regarding altitude vs ground determination. The H knows when it lands because the accelerometers sense movement has stopped. Those same sensors determine smaller changes in altitude that the barometer is incapable of detecting. They play the major roll in altitude hold. The altimeter readout is a calculation based on both the altimeter and the accelerometer.

Reactions: PatR and thoneter
It seems to me that the no land thingy has numerous factors that may be in play. The kill button saved my h from a uncontroled landing to a somewhat controlled landing.

The pumping button is another tool to have in the arsenal.

The timing for the red button is 2 sec for motor start and 3 sec for shutdown.

You are spot-on regarding altitude vs ground determination. The H knows when it lands because the accelerometers sense movement has stopped. Those same sensors determine smaller changes in altitude that the barometer is incapable of detecting. They play the major roll in altitude hold. The altimeter readout is a calculation based on both the altimeter and the accelerometer.
I own 2 original 920's, 2 480's and I've flown the 520-.

The 920 has the most ground affect issues, the 480 comes in 2nd and the 520- is significantly better at landing.

My guess is that the bigger the drone the more thrust to hover with the 520- having more efficient motors and props. I know the wording isn't spot on but I hope you get my drift.

So with that in mind the 3drones have no sense of ground level that affect the landing?

One more thing is that I'm convinced the 920- handles landings better than the original. If that's correct what accounts for that?

Different flight controller.

As for differences in landing sensitivity, my experiences have the 920+ being quite easy to land, on par with a 1000mm Cinestar. I’ve never flown a original 920. The H-480 is more sensitive due to a faster control response around center stick. Both handle minor grade and rough surface landings pretty well if the approach is planned and made slowly. With one exception the only difficult to land multirotors I’ve flown have all been indoor or toy types.

That exception was a 1300mm quad running 28” props with an FC/ESC combination lacking the speed necessary to maintain stabilization of the aircraft. Turned out battery voltage was the problem. The FC/ESC’s perked up when battery voltage was increased from 6S to 12S.

Last edited:

Thank you PatR. I will try the RTH maneuver. My RS was off anyway.

Thank you for your input. I am sending the drone for repairs first thing on Monday. Let's hope I get it back soon to enjoy it again.
Icarus-50, update me on your H landing problem? I haven't been able to resolve mine yet.

Icarus-50, update me on your H landing problem? I haven't been able to resolve mine yet.
Checker125, I plan to take it out Sunday morning (working full days till then): Forecast is sunny. I will post my findings and experience. I hope I do not crash or encounter insurmountable issues. Backup steps if can't land are: RTH, disable GPS, bumping the motors stop button. I will also test with 10ft, 15ft, and 20ft altitude landings immediately after take off. Fingers crossed.

Checker125, I plan to take it out Sunday morning (working full days till then): Forecast is sunny. I will post my findings and experience. I hope I do not crash or encounter insurmountable issues. Backup steps if can't land are: RTH, disable GPS, bumping the motors stop button. I will also test with 10ft, 15ft, and 20ft altitude landings immediately after take off. Fingers crossed.
One more thing: I will check/review ST16 to ensure I am on the right settings (battery, Follow Me, etc).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop