Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Unstable in 15 mph winds

Reaction score
I'm a newby to unmanned flight and plunged right into the Q500 4K, I'm of course also new to this forum, so, hello everyone.
I'm finding my Q to be very unstable in somewhat windy conditions, I've seen videos of flight in what seems to be sumiller conditions where the aircraft was hovering steady as a rock, what would cause such instability? I'll try to upload a video now to demonstrate, not hard to see it struggling.unfortunatelly it's not accepting the video. But can someone chime in and give me an opinion?

hi
i find when it's windy i stay in turtle mode it keeps the camera steady . if you in-counter gusty winds it will toss the Q around . any wind over 15 to 20 MPH is just a little too much for the Q don't get cough in heavy winds it may just fly away .

Reactions: Cranky Trapper
Boy, that's pretty disturbing, is this a Q500 issue or does it affect all drones?

hi
i find when it's windy i stay in turtle mode it keeps the camera steady . if you in-counter gusty winds it will toss the Q around . any wind over 15 to 20 MPH is just a little too much for the Q don't get cough in heavy winds it may just fly away .

Boy, that's pretty disturbing, is this a Q500 issue or does it affect all drones?
most likely all small quads are the same they just don't have the power to fight in real heavy wind's . i have had this discussion with a number of different quad owners and all have the same answers when it's real windy don't fly . i will not fly when the wind get's up around 15 MPH , but that's me .

I'm a Q5004K pilot too. The manual doesn't recommend flying in winds over 15mph.

I would think it would also depend on structures around that would possibly also cause wind swirls that would make it unstable too.

Personally, I've flown in some pretty strong winds. And while the quad gets bounced around a bit, the video is always rock solid. In fact, I went down to visit my dad a few months ago. He lives near Corpus Christi, Texas, and owns a P3S. Decided to put them up together. Wind was blowing at 14 mph, gusting to 18. I also wanted to see how well I could see into the water of the bay. I was a little disappointed in my GoPro, but turns out it was an operator error. ;)

Long story short, here's a video of a Typhoon G and a DJI P3S flying in some decent wind....

Side note. The opening sequence shows a P3S flying. We are both at 35 feet or so. You just cant tell because the G is so stable. ;)

Reactions: notrude
Personally, I've flown in some pretty strong winds. And while the quad gets bounced around a bit, the video is always rock solid. In fact, I went down to visit my dad a few months ago. He lives near Corpus Christi, Texas, and owns a P3S. Decided to put them up together. Wind was blowing at 14 mph, gusting to 18. I also wanted to see how well I could see into the water of the bay. I was a little disappointed in my GoPro, but turns out it was an operator error. ;)

Long story short, here's a video of a Typhoon G and a DJI P3S flying in some decent wind....

Side note. The opening sequence shows a P3S flying. We are both at 35 feet or so. You just cant tell because the G is so stable. ;)

I should also mention that on the flight by the bay, when the winds were strongest, I did lose momentary loss of control in the yaw axis. She did a little spin on me. About 90° or so. I kind of expected it, but it's still damned unnerving. lol

Thanks Agustine! This quad is pretty amazing. I was involved in a UAV start up years ago. It didn't go very well, due to mismanagement, but I am in AWE at what these things are capable of nowadays. Incredible, really.

I usually watch the wind before I ever decide to fly. I read 12 -15 mph is max for the Q500. I have a UAV forecast app on my phone I rely pretty closely on. It gives wind and other information.
Also it's been my experience that if you encounter some wind turbulence, a very slight altitude change can make a big difference.

ok, let's see if my video sticks this time
Hey notrude, how much of that was 'stick driven', and how much was the system just holding position? The changes in elevation seem to be stick driven, not sure about the rest. Also, when I shot the video that I linked to above, she was bouncing around similar to that. :/

Typhoon Q500 4K Instruction Manual, page 23:

WARNING: Do not attempt to operate the TYPHOON in winds that exceed 8–12 miles per hour (13–19 kilometers per hour).

Oh, I've read that before, and while I'll never tell someone to go against the operators manual, personally, I don't ever really look at windspeed numbers before I fly. I've been flying long enough to know when too much is too much. That being said, I always thought it interesting why they put THOSE numbers in there. Especially when you consider how fast the little quad is capable of flying. Granted, if the wind is blowing at 12 mph, and you are attempting to have it follow a target moving at 22 mph directly into the wind, you MIGHT run into an issue with the drone not being able to keep up, due to power limitations. Hence the need for the warning. You can imagine "You said it would follow at 22 mph, but I could only get it to 19 mph!!!" Lol Still, if need a shot of something, I'm not going to worry about it blowing at 15 mph. I'm just not going to expect the smoothest flight from it.

Just my .02.

Happy flyin'!

Hey notrude, how much of that was 'stick driven', and how much was the system just holding position? The changes in elevation seem to be stick driven, not sure about the rest. Also, when I shot the video that I linked to above, she was bouncing around similar to that. :/
when hovering there was no stick input, I only elevated and descended with the stick, the landing was rth

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval