Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Video speed self adjusting?

Reaction score
Just got my new to me TH in the air, all seems well, although it's not quite as stable or locked in as I expected. Not too concerned yet, I need to update the firmware, and possibly re-run some calibrations. If that doesn't fix it, I'll be back :).

But the reason for this is video recording. As this was mostly flight familiarization, I didn't mess with the video settings, left everything in auto and resolution where it was at, 1080 @ 30 FPS. But after a couple minutes recording, it changed to 120 FPS, then a couple minutes before landing, went back to 30 FPS. I know I didn't change it intentionally, is this some kind of preset left by the previous owner, or just a stock video mode I wasn't aware of? Or is it something in my video playback, I was using QuickTime, BTW. Thanks.

Dave

I have not heard of the camera changing the fps on it's own so I suspect it is something in the playback.
I've never liked the auto setting on this camera. It does much better when I set it up while still on the ground.

Regarding stability, the H is particular about having good GPS information. I always wait until I have at least 15 satellites on the display. That can take 5-12 minutes on the first flight of the day. Subsequent flights are much faster.

That's what I was forgetting, I didn't give it enough time to get its GPS fix. It was noticeably better on the second flight, but the 2 together were only about 10 minutes. Battery still has more juice than it needs, maybe I'll just have to park it outside for 10-15 minutes like everyone says you should, especially as this bird is about as far as it can be from its starting point, and still be in the contiguous United States.

Will look into the playback thing, I noticed the playback on the ST16 wasn't in slo-mo. Later, and thanks for the response.

Dave

maybe I'll just have to park it outside for 10-15
The GPS almanac data is valid for about 24 hrs. The first time you use the H on a given day it takes up to 12 min to download the almanac data. That information is used by all GPS units in locating the position of the satellites. Since they are constantly orbiting the Earth their location moves in the sky. Once the H has a good positional fix it reacquires the sats very quickly on the rest of the flights you make on that day.

Thanks again, Steve. I know there's a post on this subject, I've seen it but not read it yet, and of course, now that I want to, I can't remember where I saw it :rolleyes:. I charged everything up last night so I could do firmware updates, something is getting better, even sitting on my living room floor, it was giving me GPS ready even before the camera was ready. Will fly again today, but it's going to be awhile, it's currently 6 degrees, and is supposed to top out in the mid-20's. Later.

Dave

Reactions: Steve Carr
Set video at 3840 x 2160 30fps.
Download GOM Player app, Free.

H does not have 120fps option.
Set video at 3840 x 2160 30fps.
Download GOM Player app, Free.

Yes, it does, it'll do 1080 at 120 FPS. Maybe check the specs on your equipment before telling someone they're wrong? Still not sure exactly what happened, but I have verified it's not QuickTime, the videos are the same in iMovie, i.e. normal, then slo-mo, then back to normal. Will fly it again today, with a little more attention paid to the camera this time, and see what happens. Later.

Dave

Yes, it does, it'll do 1080 at 120 FPS. Maybe check the specs on your equipment before telling someone they're wrong? Still not sure exactly what happened, but I have verified it's not QuickTime, the videos are the same in iMovie, i.e. normal, then slo-mo, then back to normal. Will fly it again today, with a little more attention paid to the camera this time, and see what happens. Later.

Dave
I stand corrected,:oops: I just looked! It's been 2 years since I looked /gone into that feature.

Last edited:
Dave, I am curious, you say that the video went from 30 FPS to 120, then back to 30 again. I take it you mean that there was a clip or two shot at 30, then another at 120 then yet more later on at 30 again, correct? Obviously the video recording cannot change speeds while recording or if it did, the video would not render in the Player. If you right click on the file in question and select 'Properties' then tap 'Details' you can see what the actual frame rate is. I would be curious to see what the details of the clip in question look like.

Details.jpg

I just checked, Patrick, it's showing 120 FPS, but on playback, the first and last minute or so are at normal speed. It's the same whether I'm using QuickTime, Photo's Preview, or iMovie. Obviously, I'm using a Mac, maybe I should copy the files to my PC and see what it does. Will report back when/if I get more info. Later.

Dave

Hmm, very strange indeed. I am wondering if it is either a corrupted file or if it is the equipment used to playback or even a problem with the SD card itself. Let us know if it works on a PC.

I saw that too, not sure. I have seen corrupted video files that do strange things but this one is new to me. I think we can narrow it down by process of elimination if we start with the playback equipment/software then the SD card and so on.

Reactions: AH-1G
Bit of an update, guys. No, it's not app related, @DoomMeister set my mind at ease there. Flew again yesterday, I'd changed camera settings to 4K, and that's what I got, no speed changes on playback, but then, it really can't at that setting. Will try again today with the camera set for 1080 at both 30 and 120 FPS and see what happens. That's assuming I've fixed the issues I had yesterday, if not, I'll be too busy trying not to crash to worry about video :eek:. Later.

Dave

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Bit of an update, guys. No, it's not app related, @DoomMeister set my mind at ease there. Flew again yesterday, I'd changed camera settings to 4K, and that's what I got, no speed changes on playback, but then, it really can't at that setting. Will try again today with the camera set for 1080 at both 30 and 120 FPS and see what happens. That's assuming I've fixed the issues I had yesterday, if not, I'll be too busy trying not to crash to worry about video :eek:. Later.

Dave

One question: are these speed changes contained in one video file, or are there three separate files?

I don’t recall seeing anything mentioned, hence the question. Apologies if it has been answered previously.

Jeff

Hey, Jeff. No, I don't think I did specify. It's actually 2 different clips from 2 different flights, one right after the other. Each clip is one file, starts off at normal speed, not sure if it's 30 or 60 FPS, then goes to 120 for the bulk of the clip, then back to normal. As I understand it, that should be impossible, I should have to stop recording, change camera settings, then start another recording. Still looking into it, will report back if I get anything. Later.

Dave

Do a recording in your house, you don't need to be outside, or flying.

Last edited:
Okay, more info, and I'm just as confused as ever. Followed @AH-1G's idea of just shooting video on the ground, or in this case, on a table in my living room. Tried a small variety of the available video modes/resolutions, 1080 @ 30 and 120 FPS, as well as one of the 4K resolutions. There definitely seems to be a glitch in the 120 FPS setting, and it seems to be getting worse. With the video mode set at 120 FPS, it definitely ramps up (down?) after the video starts, how long the ramp is seems to be dependent on how long the clip is. A 5 minute clip shot this evening only had 15 second ramps at each end, the 11 minute one shot on Sunday was a little over 30 seconds. As I said, it seems to be getting worse, the clips I shot this evening are frozen on one frame, but the playback indicator runs normally and follows the same pattern. Everything was normal at 1080/30 and at 4K. One other thing I noticed with the 1080/120 setting, the subject is much larger, as if you had a zoom lens zoomed in. And regarding the playback indicator, in addition to the typical progress bar, there's another bar below that made up of dashed lines spaced closer together in the normal speed sections, then spaced farther apart in the slow motion segment, and is the same in the original video I shot, as well as the stuff I shot tonight.

Finally, one clarification. At first, I thought it was actually changing the setting from 30 to 120 FPS, but I've since figured out that the ST16 was showing 1080/30 BEFORE the camera was initialized, at which point it showed 1080/120. So this is definitely a glitch in the 1080/120 mode on my camera, guess it's a good thing I don't anticipate much need for slow motion video. That said, if anyone has any ideas as to what's going on and how to fix it, if it needs fixing, I'm all ears. Later, guys, and thanks!

Dave

EDIT: Dumb question time, but it just occurred to me: has anyone else actually used the 1080/120 video mode? Maybe this is normal behavior for this particular mode, that would make sense in a way, get the bird off the ground and framed up on subject at "normal" speed, then switch to slo-mo, then back to normal for landing. Anyone?

Last edited:
120 fps is not very conducive for the H camera, it's to many pixels for the camera's firmware to handle.
I even had at one point used setting at 4096x2160 and it came out lousy.
Set camera single shots at Gorgeous, Photo Format dng+jpg and video at 3840x2160 30fps.
Once you have it set, and lets see if this works, turn H off first and then St16 off.
Reboot, ST 16 on first and then wait until it's totally booted up then turn on the H.
Take single shots and some video.
BTW what card are you using?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy