Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What to do when your TYPHOON H suddenly FLYS AWAY!!!

I think the H may confuse where it is vs where it wants to be. With the old firmware switching back into GPS could cause a sudden flyaway but once it got where it wanted to be it was solid. Look at 6:25 in this video.

Capt,
Did you happen to notice if the tail light changed color when you changed flight modes?
A stupid theory:
When switched off, most GPS receivers will remember the last known position when switched OFF.
Is it possible, that when the H looses a GPS FIX (may still be receiving signal) that it tries to fly to the point of the last known FIX?
Glad you got her back without incident, would have scared the crap out of me. Still don't trust mine to go over water again.

Did not move it. I have the same routine with the "H". I always set it facing away from me. Turn on the ST16, then the "H". For some reason I remember looking at the ST16, adjusting the camera settings & checking the Sats and seeing 15 or so and the green READY. There should have been no issue as this is just your basic drone, like many others on the market. We are the year 2016... drones are no longer "Buck Rogers Sci-Fi", everything should work if it was designed properly with proper failsafes.

I recall somewhere around on the forum someone telling they always wait for at least 20 sats, I've also waited for at least 18-20 before taking off

Just curious Capt. if you suspect turning
To me theoretically it should have no effect based on my experience with drones. Let me explain.... I've flown a Phantom that had a major toilet bowl problem which is the result of a GPS/compass conflict (I have a YouTube vid showing this). When in GPS mode with the Phantom flying in a circle with no stick input, one could still control it with stick input by countering the toiletbowl effect. If it was taken out of GPS mode it would drift and twitch, but just like in GPS mode it could still be controlled.

What occured with the Typhoon H was a Flyaway where right stick input has either no effect or sparodic opposite effect. Left stick only worked for ascend/descend at slow speed.

If it does this again I'll take it out of GPS and report back as to what the result is.
I would definitely like to know someones feedback on this. At the moment, I'm speculating of course, but I think the biggest issue Yuneec has at the moment regarding fly aways is GPS (autonomous flight) taking precedence over Mode 2 right stick input. This should NEVER be the case. GPS and autonomous flight are there to augment the pilot not the other way around. The pilot should always have precedence and the ability to override autonomous flight and regain control even if its fully manual. It seems like the the ST16 has a good link to control the H yet the autonomous functions are overriding right stick control inputs. If those could be truly disable the pilot should be able to regain full control. After all, the pilot is the Captain eh?

Greg

Reactions: CAPTAINDRONE
When this happens you should turn off as much of the copters automation as possible. GPS glitches are very common for causing this as has arguably been determined with various gps based flight controllers, where going full manual is the best solution.
In gps mode, it is not really the pilot in charge, it is the gps.

Just curious Capt. if you suspect turning

I would definitely like to know someones feedback on this. At the moment, I'm speculating of course, but I think the biggest issue Yuneec has at the moment regarding fly aways is GPS (autonomous flight) taking precedence over Mode 2 right stick input. This should NEVER be the case. GPS and autonomous flight are there to augment the pilot not the other way around. The pilot should always have precedence and the ability to override autonomous flight and regain control even if its fully manual. It seems like the the ST16 has a good link to control the H yet the autonomous functions are overriding right stick control inputs. If those could be truly disable the pilot should be able to regain full control. After all, the pilot is the Captain eh?

Greg

Yes I agree. Yuneec should have gps on/off to a switch. And even better, a switch for true full manual. But hey.....you know that will cause a huge problem because most people would crash in full manual:)

I think plain and simple the early H's have some odd issues with the Compass Board. I got my H(s) when they were first available at my LHS, which was only a couple weeks after they started shipping. So they were the first "production run". My first H had the toilet-bowling, J-hooking, drifting, loss of altitude. The thing was it didn't do it till had flown for several minutes. The first few minutes were just fine (was not a heat issue as I was flying during the morning when temps were in the 50s). These issues would start after the first minutes and just continue to get worse the longer you flew.

I took it back to my LHS that swapped it for another on their shelf. That one seemed to work great even with the first "disappearing" firmware upgrade with the exception of the flashing orange light when deploying/retracting the LG. The 2.21 firmware upgrade introduced odd behavior, mild drifting in both X and Y axis, titled camera, "re-take-off". 2.24 fixed everything. It flew perfect. 2.25 once again degraded my H. Everything that 2.21 did was back. I got tired of this and called Yuneec. They only asked me a couple questions. Guessing my write-up had the information they needed. One question that leads me to believe they now know there is an issue with the first release of Hs was; "Did yours come with the Wizard?" After that question they told me to send it in. I sent it in only a week and half ago.

Its on its way back from Yuneec with "Compass Circuit Board" listed on the repair "bill". I started a thread asking if anyone has experienced any further problems with their H after the Compass board was replaced and no one has responded. I'm taking that as "no further problems".

Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to keep that in the back of my mind should it act funny upon its return...

I thought the same. Mine is from May and it has worked flawlessly since. It can happen to anyone as I strongly believe it is a glitch in the pre-flight start up. If something goes wrong in the pre-flight initialization it wrongly lets you still take off.

First let me say to YUNEEC... You have a "flyaway" problem with the Typhoon H.

My Typhoon H did what many others on this forum have been saying... It literally flew away out of control!!!! I'm running the latest Firmware.

I have the flight data and when you replay it, you can clearly see that the Typhoon H does not have a clue where it is. Each time I switched it into RTH it was like it went through a time portal and appeared elsewhere.

Here is what happened, and here is what I did to save it:

1. Travelled to 4 separate areas about 10 km apart from each other. Flew a battery at each location and everything was as it should be.

2. Arrived at fourth location. 4th battery inserted. Camera connected, plenty of satellites with screen showing READY. Took off in ANGLE mode (I never fly in SMART MODE). As the Typhoon H raised up between trees it was drifting to the left so I gave it full power to rise above the trees before it crashed into one. At about 30 meters it immediately QUICKLY started drifting to the left. All yaw & directional stick input had ZERO effect.

3. I could tell that the Left stick to ASSEND or DESEND was working, but with slow results. The Right stick input DID NOT produce desired results. It was as if the right joystick was not working.

4. I switched it into Return To Home (RTH) mode and it shot off at a 90 degree angle AWAY from me. It did not perform any of the RTH movements (i.e., rise and turn around, etc). I noticed that by hitting RTH it would cause the FLY AWAY to go in a different direction, so I kept flicking in and out of Angle mode and RTH mode.

5. Since there were people, cars, trees, swamp, water all around I kept the Typhoon H above the trees so that it would not crash. If you panic and bring it lower to the ground while it's out of control, it will crash.

6. Finally after a few minutes of flicking in and out of the modes it began to fly less erratic at HIGH SPEED until finally it just flew erractic at a SLOWER SPEED and began to drift. I finally was able to get it to begin a true RTH process where it rose up and came to my location (slower than normal). I put it back in Angle mode and landed it safely. As it was coming down it was flying perfectly as if nothing was ever wrong.

If any Typhoon H pilot encounters their Typhoon H doing the FLY AWAY thing, then I suggest to do the following:

1. Don't Panic
2. Raise it above all objects surrounding you (the left joystick hopefully will work to raise it)
3. Keep trying to regain control by switching between RTH and ANGLE & SMART mode (but don't leave it in SMART mode)
4. Try the RIGHT joystick and expect it to not produce the desired results, but keep trying as you don't want it to keep flying in the same direction or you may never see it again.
5. It may take two minutes for the Typhoon H and ST16 to begin to work as per normal.
6. Once you regain control and all is well, crack open a cool one.... You deserve it!

Yes I'll be in touch with Yuneec this week to advise them that they have a problem.

I also plan to post a video showing how screwed up the Typhoon H is during a flyaway.
I have been in the air with my H (bought in April and updated 2 weeks ago) in about 8hrs and never have had a problem whatsoever. I have done the calibr. ofcourse. I ALWAYS check to have at least 15-20 sats and ALWAYS wait about 3-4minutes on the ground (motors off) with sats to stabilize before take off. Then I hoover to about 3meters and do two 360's to check for drifting. I NEVER fly in KP index 5 or higher. So far my H behave like a dream. Ofcourse I fly in Angel and keep my phone off! I use an ITELIT antenna. I live in Stockholm Sweden.

Last edited:
Reactions: GRH
I think the H may confuse where it is vs where it wants to be. With the old firmware switching back into GPS could cause a sudden flyaway but once it got where it wanted to be it was solid. Look at 6:25 in this video.
Agree, solid machine, and also very good looking bit of kit, totally love mine, enjoyed your vid as well nice flying [emoji106]

To me theoretically it should have no effect based on my experience with drones. Let me explain.... I've flown a Phantom that had a major toilet bowl problem which is the result of a GPS/compass conflict (I have a YouTube vid showing this). When in GPS mode with the Phantom flying in a circle with no stick input, one could still control it with stick input by countering the toiletbowl effect. If it was taken out of GPS mode it would drift and twitch, but just like in GPS mode it could still be controlled.

What occured with the Typhoon H was a Flyaway where right stick input has either no effect or sparodic opposite effect. Left stick only worked for ascend/descend at slow speed.

If it does this again I'll take it out of GPS and report back as to what the result is.

Of course it will drift somewhat (look up gyroscopic precession), it is no different from flying a model heli in that state. If it is twitching then the flight controller is a problem too with whatever happened. Normally though if you switch on while on a level surface and do not touch anything during boot then the flight controller will calibrate that position as level. If you turn it on not level then the controller will assume that angle is the level point.

Keep in mind you have GPS and a flight controller, if the problem is with the flight controller then turning off the GPS will do nothing, which doesn't surprise me with a Phantom as the naza is a shocking bit of kit which I have had many problems with (gain twitching, random crashes etc).

For me, if it starts to flyaway then first thing I would do is turn GPS off if you know how to fly these.

Capt,
Did you happen to notice if the tail light changed color when you changed flight modes?
A stupid theory:
When switched off, most GPS receivers will remember the last known position when switched OFF.
Is it possible, that when the H looses a GPS FIX (may still be receiving signal) that it tries to fly to the point of the last known FIX?
Glad you got her back without incident, would have scared the crap out of me. Still don't trust mine to go over water again.

I was about to film away from the horizon sun but the H decided to fly directly towards the sun so through my squinting eyes I could only make out the shape of the H & no colors.

Your theory could have merit as the place I flew before this was the direction the H flew in when I hit the RTH.

I recall somewhere around on the forum someone telling they always wait for at least 20 sats, I've also waited for at least 18-20 before taking off

I've flown many, many flights since May and never worried about the number of sats and never had an issue. This is why this event is confusing as it was no different from any other flight. Pre-flight was reprted as fine on the ST16 but apparently something in the pre-flight was not fine as it went into demented Dr. Jekyll mode within seconds of the take-off.

Reactions: QuadBart
Now that is interesting and should NOT occur! When you switch in and out of GPS mode, the H should remain in the same spot and not fly to some other location. What I believe happened there appears to be that there was an internal correction going on between the GPS and Compass (this is what the IMU in a Phantom does and I think it's no different in the H). When switching back into GPS mode, the H flew back to the location the internal calibration was telling it was the true location between offsets in Compass and GPS.

When this happens you should turn off as much of the copters automation as possible. GPS glitches are very common for causing this as has arguably been determined with various gps based flight controllers, where going full manual is the best solution.
In gps mode, it is not really the pilot in charge, it is the gps.
I will certainly switch off the GPS (if it allows me to do so) should this occur again. Anything is worth a try.

Cap, the only solution NOT suggested so far is an Alien Possession. Seriously, most answers show a dedicated level of expertise, and a willingness to help.

Kindly keep us informed as to ultimate disposition/solution. (I agree with one answer about flying with angels)

Reactions: Markinter
Since mine has been back from repair. I updated to the newer firmware (they forgot that step) I have flown 3 flights. The first flight I noticed slight drifting to the left. I always take off facing away from me.
I took a good minute at a 20 foot hover before it settled down and would hold position, this with very little or no wind. Flight #2 & 3 I did not notice the drifting. Makes one wonder just how much time do you need to let the H acclimate to a new location.

Of course it will drift somewhat (look up gyroscopic precession), it is no different from flying a model heli in that state. If it is twitching then the flight controller is a problem too with whatever happened. Normally though if you switch on while on a level surface and do not touch anything during boot then the flight controller will calibrate that position as level. If you turn it on not level then the controller will assume that angle is the level point.

Keep in mind you have GPS and a flight controller, if the problem is with the flight controller then turning off the GPS will do nothing, which doesn't surprise me with a Phantom as the naza is a shocking bit of kit which I have had many problems with (gain twitching, random crashes etc).

For me, if it starts to flyaway then first thing I would do is turn GPS off if you know how to fly these.

Hi,
You do not have to set the H on a level surface at startup for flying as the imu is only calibrated to level when you perform an imu calibration. IOW the startup alone does not calibrate the imu to whatever position the H is in, it is a warmup and integrity check only.

Cap, the only solution NOT suggested so far is an Alien Possession. Seriously, most answers show a dedicated level of expertise, and a willingness to help.

Kindly keep us informed as to ultimate disposition/solution. (I agree with one answer about flying with angels)
Ha ha, I know. Sometimes even the strangest suggestion may not be so strange after all because I'm certainly somewhat stumped. I really do appreciate all the input.

The "H" is just a basic flight model drone that should fly with no issues. Out of all the drones I've flown over my years flying drones, this one is the first to do this. Drones will all have their compass and calibration issues which can be easily tweaked as long as there are no internal problems. But drones that flyaway right after take-off should have become extinct in 2014... We are 2016 and this should not be happening today.

Hi,
You do not have to set the H on a level surface at startup for flying as the imu is only calibrated to level when you perform an imu calibration. IOW the startup alone does not calibrate the imu to whatever position the H is in, it is a warmup and integrity check only.

Right. I've taken off many times with the H on the side of a hill at around a 15 degree slope. No problems with takeoff, it levels itself out immediately upon liftoff. I just hand catch upon landing.

Ha ha, I know. Sometimes even the strangest suggestion may not be so strange after all because I'm certainly somewhat stumped. I really do appreciate all the input.

The "H" is just a basic flight model drone that should fly with no issues. Out of all the drones I've flown over my years flying drones, this one is the first to do this. Drones will all have their compass and calibration issues which can be easily tweaked as long as there are no internal problems. But drones that flyaway right after take-off should have become extinct in 2014... We are 2016 and this should not be happening today.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss