Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What to do when your TYPHOON H suddenly FLYS AWAY!!!

On this forum and a couple of others, some pilots have reported the left stick still works while the right does not during a flyaway of this type. In those cases the pilot was able to go max right stick with yaw to gain altitude and try to keep the H moving in a circle. Then turning off the GPS restored full control. If there is a warning on the screen you have to clear it by pressing the return button under the screen to get to the GPS menu. Many of these returned to Yuneec have had the compass module, GPS module or both replaced.

Ha ha, I know. Sometimes even the strangest suggestion may not be so strange after all because I'm certainly somewhat stumped. I really do appreciate all the input.

The "H" is just a basic flight model drone that should fly with no issues. Out of all the drones I've flown over my years flying drones, this one is the first to do this. Drones will all have their compass and calibration issues which can be easily tweaked as long as there are no internal problems. But drones that flyaway right after take-off should have become extinct in 2014... We are 2016 and this should not be happening today.

Understand your frustration. With single imu and gps stuff like this will happen unfortunately.
I work with imu's and flight controllers on manned aircraft which have four identical and redundant FC/imu combinations, and even at their enormous cost, one component will fail at times.
So, be thankful for each and every safe flight. There "should" be a manual mode on the H, but at least we now have the ability to turn gps off. Of course, if the issue is software related, that is another thing and shouldn't happen.

Even more reason to move the GPS on/off to the AUX button. Easier to get to in a panic situation.
If I could, I would go back to the 2nd firmware release. Although all the added features are really nice, the new firmware is not trustworthy.

Reactions: JohnL
Even more reason to move the GPS on/off to the AUX button. Easier to get to in a panic situation.
If I could, I would go back to the 2nd firmware release. Although all the added features are really nice, the new firmware is not trustworthy.

Agree. Another thing I really don't like is that slow decent rate. When I want to bring it down, I want it at my choice of speed.
Ran into a problem with a bunch of curious turkey vultures, and couldn't bring it down fast enough. So here is a little tip, climb fast and get the **** outa there

would it make any sense to turn of the GPS off every now and then while on the ground then turn it back so it can reset?

I don't think it turns off the gps. It just "disconnects" from the horizontal flight control. If it is a software thing, then maybe that would reset from a glitch.......or introduce one lol.

I agree, it does not turn the GPS off, just tells the flight controller not to use the data from it.
Turning it off/on while in flight is almost instantaneous. Turn it off and you can watch it start to drift in the wind. Soon as you turn it back on it stops in a second or two.

Sheesh Capt.
Almost even more scarey when you display the flight log like that. Almost make one wonder if it is not an ST-16 fault and not the H.

The logs should show what happened, right? maybe someone here knows how to read the telemetry error codes.
I posted the logs (I think my second post on the subj). Here is the link

YUNEECFLYAWAY.csv

If anyone can figure out why my Typhoon H suddenly thought it was in a different orientation and location at motor start up when it didn't do it the 3 flights prior, I'm open to mystery theories.

Pretty weird,

The ST16 records 3 separate log files and the parser app merges some data from at least 2 of them (stick input, H sensors and GPS info) to represent the map.

The separate files are:

Remote GPS - records the controller's GPS data (long, lat, alt, accuracy, speed, angle)
Remote - which records the controller's input
Telemetry - which records all data from the H, including GPS data, RSSI, sensor information, flight mode, etc..

So, If there's no input recorded for the right stick then it could mean a failure on the ST16, but the flight map also shows a GPS problem.

Perhaps there were more than just a single issue happening at the moment.

Sheesh Capt.
Almost even more scarey when you display the flight log like that. Almost make one wonder if it is not an ST-16 fault and not the H.
Just seems like the H ignores stick input from the right joystick and only accepts input from the left joystick for gaining or losing height (you can't yaw the drone)... This all seems to go on as the H is trying to figure out where the **** it is. And to make it more strange, you can see that eventually the H settles down and everything works like there was never a problem. This is probably why when people send their Typhoon's back to Yuneec for such repairs, everything looks fine to the tech.

Pretty weird,

The ST16 records 3 separate log files and the parser app merges some data from at least 2 of them (stick input, H sensors and GPS info) to represent the map.

The separate files are:

Remote GPS - records the controller's GPS data (long, lat, alt, accuracy, speed, angle)
Remote - which records the controller's input
Telemetry - which records all data from the H, including GPS data, RSSI, sensor information, flight mode, etc..

So, If there's no input recorded for the right stick then it could mean a failure on the ST16, but the flight map also shows a GPS problem.

Perhaps there were more than just a single issue happening at the moment.

It pretty much did everything it shouldn't have done, other than flying upside down. I hope it's not saving that surprise for a future flight. :)

Not sure if you noticed in exmaps file that you had several compass errors that the file listed and this:
A sudden divergence in the desired roll/pitch/yaw Vs the vehicles actual roll/pitch/yaw indicates a common mechanical failures, include a motor or ESC failure (including ESC sync failures), the propeller slipping or coming off, etc.

Not sure if you noticed in exmaps file that you had several compass errors that the file listed and this:
A sudden divergence in the desired roll/pitch/yaw Vs the vehicles actual roll/pitch/yaw indicates a common mechanical failures, include a motor or ESC failure (including ESC sync failures), the propeller slipping or coming off, etc.
Saw the 5 compass errors which I fully expected to see during a fly away, but did not see that last part. Thanks!

@CAPTAINDRONE Wow man, I totally feel for you here. Some years back when I was experiencing problems with some of my homebuilds using the DJI Naza-M v.1 FC, flyaways were almost a given. A lot of my buds here in Spain either lost their vehicles outright or they were severely damaged. We struggled for a long time trying to figure out what event or combination of events was causing this, and the message boards at various forums (RC Groups especially) were literally on fire with frustrated RC pilots. We never really figured out the ultimate cause, and our begs and pleas for assistance from the a-holes at DJI were met with complete silence. When Naza-M v.2 came out things seemed to really improve, but the flyaways were still occurring frequently enough for a lot of us hobbyists to start looking elsewhere for "reliable" FC's. I for one went the ArduCopter (Pixhawk) route.

I spent a lot of time with a lot of people (including brick and mortar hobby suppliers here) developing protocols to recover and regain control when experiencing DJI FC malfunctions and flyaways. What we came up with was that first and foremost, the RC pilot had to learn to master his vehicle in total Manual mode, meaning no GPS nor gyro stabilization. With the Naza-M and a good Tx (my Taranis comes to mind ;-) ) you could program a 3-position switch to go from GPS, Atti, Manual modes and then you were all set. In almost all instances flipping your switch to Manual while the vehicle was having a "FC moment" almost always saved the aircraft IF one had the proper altitude to do so.

What really pisses me off about the TH is there literally is no way to do this. Taking the vehicle out of GPS mode while in flight does NOT infer manual mode. It's essentially the DJI equivalent of ATTI mode (I think), but does not relinquish 6-axis control to the pilot. So in a sense we're f**ked because since there is no true Manual Mode available for this aircraft, it therefore becomes a relative crapshoot if one can regain control or not. Having said that, Manual mode requires rather advanced flying skills and experience that I would assume most RTF buyers do NOT have, as they just want to launch their drone and take video, which I totally understand.

Thanks so much for keeping us posted on this issue. I for one do not trust my TH at all, and have been experiencing all sorts of crappy and bizarre behavior from it (even with latest firmwares) that leads me to the conclusion that probably sooner than later, I will lose this thing once and for all (and then I'm finally done with this POS).

Reactions: Miguel Angelo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop