Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

2.4 GHz walkie talkies safe to have around?

Reaction score
My question is if normal WT can affect Typhoons functions?. Any with experience. Should I turn off comms when operating.

Thank you in advance

It's possible. Especially if you are using it near the ST-16. If you are transmitting on the WT the signal could be strong enough to block some or all of the signal coming from the H to the ST-16. You can download a wifi analyzer app for your smart phone and see if they are on the same channel. Even if it isn't on the same channel, a strong enough signal from the WT could still cause disruption.

So I really don't know how this works but thinking since you can fly side by side with as many Typhoon H owners do and not one will effect the others signal coming or going I find it hard to believe WT will effect a proprietary signal that only Yuneec knows what it is.
Just guessing on my part.
Perhaps the Ham radio guys can chirp in on this one

Last edited:
I thought that it was the case Agustine. But A signal can be deformated by another if it is in the same range of the receiver.

Thank you.

Reactions: viscount
So what kind of WT are we talking about here? Are they not very low powered freq. talking devices. Reason you don't have to have a license to use them.

I am one of the Ham Radio guys. My point is that a strong enough signal close to the ST 16 can overwhelm the receiver thereby interfering with the incoming signal from the H. I don't know what power level the WT has on transmit but, if you're close enough, it can potentially interfere. I personally wouldn't take the chance. It could be that the WT isn't strong enough to cause a problem but why take the chance? The old saying "When it doubt, leave it out" applies here, in my view.

Hi,

I use Motorola TLKR T80 Extrem Walkie Talkies with no problem, in Europe.
The name is different for US market:
Motorola Talkabout™ T400 radios
Talkabout T400 - Motorola Solutions
  • Motorola t80extreme_quad_specsheet PDF (Europe): http://www.motorolasolutions.com/co...icfiles/en_tlkr_t80extreme_quad_specsheet.pdf
  • Motorola Talkabout™ T400 data sheet PDF (US): http://www.motorolasolutions.com/co...s/consumer/t400/Talkabout-T400-data-sheet.pdf
http://www.motorolasolutions.com/content/***/msi/images/products/two-way-radios/consumer/talkabout-radios/t-series/product-T400-w-screen-front-0493.jpg#1

Last edited:
Those would work because they are a different frequency - GMRS 462 - 467 MHz for the radios vs. 2.4Ghz Typhoon H/St16. The OP was talking about using 2.4Ghz radios near the Typhoon H/ST16.

Any transmitter sharing the same band as the H should be avoided. Harmonics can interfere as well, so any multiples of 2.4 GHz should be kept away. I think the H uses more of a spread spectrum technology.... So, it does co-exists with regular WiFi signals--- But those WiFi signals are limited to power as well.

To me, keep stray RF away from my drone so I can fly with confidence and not have it perform it's own "stunts" and perhaps crash.

I would avoid using any transmitter near the bird or the controller. A few days ago while rebinding the H, I had to answer a call on 151MHz. The camera immediately turned max sideways. I had to shut down the H to get it back to normal. Why add any element of risk if you can avoid it?

Are there any walkie talkies that would be protected from this influence? Maybe some kind of military? I'm looking for a walkie-talkie, but I do not want it to conflict with frequencies. As said above - I want to avoid risks.

I can't say yea or nay with this but can relate something that happened at a large RC fly in event after a manufacturer started making spread spectrum RC systems on 2.4. At the Triple Tree Aerodrome a very large group had gotten together and were under the impression that since 2.4 spread spectrum radios were being used they would not interfere with other radios when a bunch of them were turned on. Turned out the manufacturer utilized a very small portion of the 2.4 band for their systems to "hop" within and after a certain number of radios were turned on the usable frequency range would become saturated and they would interfere with each other. A lot of real expensive planes were crashed because of frequency conflicts when everyone thought there would be no conflict.

I think SoCalDroner gave some pretty good advice.

Modern 2.4GHz RC systems are very good at channel hopping so should hopefully avoid a lot of interference. A lot of us fly in our back gardens with WiFi around. As long as the WT aerials aren't basically touching it should be ok. Don't forget as well that Yuneec have now provided 5.8GHz as a redundancy on one of the later software updates.Worst comes to worse the ST16 control will drop and it should go into failsafe and RTH until control is regained. Here's proof of how great modern RC systems are, long video but you get the idea within the first 30 seconds:

I have been flying for 3 years at a certain spot. I have always questioned this spot because of odd things happening. For instance I flew my parkzone archer at this site and I'm sure my plane did a I'm not listening to you for a few seconds. I ended up crashing it bad, not because of the signal interference because that **** hawk decided I was a threat and chased my plane, then next I had my racing quad, freestyle quad and another quad all cloth in the same area, about 150-200 yards out. So I took the h to this park to film the new hyvee going up. I was at least 600 yards from that glitch spot. The h kept alerting me to interference above, below and to the left. So yes there is a lot that will affect the bird. So I always need my phone in the car and keep away from any metals. My H picks it up very well.

I can't say yea or nay with this but can relate something that happened at a large RC fly in event after a manufacturer started making spread spectrum RC systems on 2.4. At the Triple Tree Aerodrome a very large group had gotten together and were under the impression that since 2.4 spread spectrum radios were being used they would not interfere with other radios when a bunch of them were turned on. Turned out the manufacturer utilized a very small portion of the 2.4 band for their systems to "hop" within and after a certain number of radios were turned on the usable frequency range would become saturated and they would interfere with each other. A lot of real expensive planes were crashed because of frequency conflicts when everyone thought there would be no conflict.

I think SoCalDroner gave some pretty good advice.
As usual - they wanted to do it better, but it turned out as always. It would be funny if it was not so sad)

Modern 2.4GHz RC systems are very good at channel hopping so should hopefully avoid a lot of interference. A lot of us fly in our back gardens with WiFi around. As long as the WT aerials aren't basically touching it should be ok. Don't forget as well that Yuneec have now provided 5.8GHz as a redundancy on one of the later software updates.Worst comes to worse the ST16 control will drop and it should go into failsafe and RTH until control is regained. Here's proof of how great modern RC systems are, long video but you get the idea within the first 30 seconds:
I see - there are really huge amount of drones. But my friends and I usually do not have more than five birds in flight.

Being what I assume is a license-free radio, chances of it putting out enough RF to cause issues are practically zero. Try it out. They're easy enough to eliminate if it causes a problem (release the release-to-listen key ;) ).

Reactions: Alakey

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hodgepodge