Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!
Reaction score
So I recently took on the lens upgrade but my 3.97mm f/2.8 Lens did not come with the threaded mount and this is an issue in my case because our Typhoon H has a smooth barrel. After some TENSE work into removing the lens i found out it is a fixed glued lens. Do any of you have some "Hacks" i am also wondering if any of you know links to where i can buy the threaded mount . Thanks again i hope someone can help!

So I recently took on the lens upgrade but my 3.97mm f/2.8 Lens did not come with the threaded mount and this is an issue in my case because our Typhoon H has a smooth barrel. After some TENSE work into removing the lens i found out it is a fixed glued lens. Do any of you have some "Hacks" i am also wondering if any of you know links to where i can buy the threaded mount . Thanks again i hope someone can help!
While I have not tried changing a lens, I understood from many of the posts the glue could be carefully removed from where the lens fits into the barrel. I've also seen a significant number of posts where the camera got damaged in the process of changing the barrel. Everything is very delicate including the wiring. I found these precautions in another forum that seem worthy of a read.

1. SENSOR EXPOSURE TO DUST IN AMBIENT AIR CIRCULATION:

(a) The sensor maintains a static charge and WILL attract dust particles in ambient air circulation;
[NO if, but or maybe; it WLL happen!].

(b) Remove original lens & mount performing the procedure inside a new and unused Ziploc plastic bag;
[Isolation from dust particles in ambient air circulation is a PRIORITY!].

(c) Perform removal of original and refitting of the new lens & mount upside down;
[Glue from the original mount or dust particles will not fall onto sensor].

(d) Always use an OPTICAL dust blower on the sensor and at the rear of new lens & mount;
[NEVER use an electrical dust blower because they WILL "spit" rubber particles!].

(e) NEVER clean a fouled sensor with a wet sensor cleaning swab;
[ALWAYS attempt to use a dust blower first and a DRY sensor cleaning pen as a last resort].

2. LENS NOT PROPERLY CLEANED PRIOR TO INSTALLATION:

(a) Too much optical cleaning fluid WILL foul the lens internally;
[They are NOT waterproof and excess fluid WILL foul the lens internally and this is IMPOSSIBLE to remedy!].

(b) Marginal fouling in the form of internal "misting" from the use of excess lens cleaning fluid;
[Because this is only condensed water vapor and not the lens cleaning fluid itself; the problem is rectified by warming gently with a hair dryer until the condensed water vapor evaporates completely].

(c) Use only a SMALL amount of high quality lens cleaning fluid at the end of a pure cotton Q tip;
[DO NOT touch the cotton tips and repeat with both ends using each tip ONLY once].

(d) Remove remaining lens cleaning fluid residue with dry Q tips;
[Use as many as required NEVER touching the tips and NEVER using a single tip more than once].

(e) Inspect under magnification and at different angles in good lighting;
[Lens cleaning fluid or oil residue will show up as a "rainbow" over the rear of the lens].

(f) Dust particles or cotton fibers from the Q Tips can be blown off with a suitable dust blower;
[ALWAYS finish up with a dust blower].

1. EVEN THE BEST QUALITY LENS CLEANING FLUID WILL LEAVE BEHIND A FOULING RESIDUE ON THE BACK OF THE LENS AFTER IT HAS EVAPORATED.

2. ANYTHING YOU TOUCH WILL BE CONTAMINATED BY OIL FROM YOUR FINGERPRINTS AND WILL TRANSFER TO THE LENS SURFACE.

3. A PURE COTTON Q TIP HAS THE BETTER MECHANICAL ADVANTAGE FOR REACHING THE EDGES OF THE LENS THAN A LENS CLOTH.

4. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO DETECT FOULING FROM RESIDUAL OIL OR CLEANING FLUID WITHOUT MAGNIFICATION IN GOOD LIGHTING AND AT VIEWED AT DIFFERENT ANGLES.

5. PURIFIED [NOT DISTILLED] WATER FROM A PHARMACY IS THE BEST CLEANING SOLUTION AS IT WILL NOT LEAVE BEHIND ANY RESIDUE AFTER EVAPORATION.

6. TWO COMPLETE TURNS OF GAS TAPE OR 4 COMPLETE TURNS OF PLUMBER'S TAPE SHOULD BE SUFFICIENT TO SECURE THE LENS IN THE MOUNT.

TOO MUCH TAPE – TOO TIGHT & THE LENS MOUNT WILL SPLIT. TOO LITTLE TAPE – TOO LOOSE & THE LENS WILL VIBRATE OUT OF FOCUS OVER TIME IN THE LENS MOUNT.

7. I RECOMMEND RUNNING THE LENS ALL THE WAY INTO THE MOUNT AND BACKING IT OUT AS A TEST-FIT.

THIS WILL SEAT THE TAPE WITHIN THE THREADS AND ENSURE THAT IT IS NEITHER OVERTIGHT NOR TOO LOOSE.

THE LENS SHOULD ROTATE IN EITHER DIRECTION WITHIN THE MOUNT USING GENTLE EVEN PRESSURE.

8. APPLY TAPE IN AN ANTICLOCKWISE DIRECTION BECAUSE THE LENS IS THREADED INTO THE HOUSING IN A CLOCKWISE DIRECTION AND ENSURE TAPE DOES NOT EXTEND PAST THE LOWER THREAD OF THE LENS.

FAILURE TO TAKE THESE VERY NECESSARY PRECAUTIONS WILL VOID ANY WARRANTY!

Reactions: AngelxMartinez
Thanks for the advice! This will definitely help. I did get the glue off with a little wiggle in my exacto blade and my finger nail. Came right off with my fingernail running it along the edge since it was a smooth barrel.

Here you go. Step by step. Add this to the instructions posted upstream and you should be good.

Last edited:
Here you go. Step by step. Add this to the instructions posted upstream and you should be good.
It's been awhile since I watched that but as I recall it just covered the lens change. Later cameras came with a different barrel which is glued to the board which is easily damaged during the process.

Do not use that video to perform lens swaps on later lens mounts. Even with earlier mounts there was enough missing from that video I ended up wiping out a camera. It was not repairable. Expensive mistake...

Do not use that video to perform lens swaps on later lens mounts. Even with earlier mounts there was enough missing from that video I ended up wiping out a camera. It was not repairable. Expensive mistake...

Thanks for that heads up PatR. I have not played with the camera at all, so I was just trying to help.

No worries mate. Some people would have no problem if they habitually deal with small electronics assemblies but the average person would not be aware of how fragile the ribbon flex is and unaware of some tiny wiring that can't be seen on a part of the board. Break either and you're up a creek.

Although I bought another camera at full price from a dealer Yuneec was nice to me and deep discounted another new one after determining my original was beyond salvage. So in total I ended up spending ~$760.00 to save $150.00. Never again!

Reactions: Tree

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval