Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Altitude test flights....

Without going into detail when you go vertical vice horizontal communication distance is not the same for many reasons and this is before adding physics to the equation.

I am not sure what you are implying with your statements? With properly aligned and aimed antennas additional height of the sUAV usually improves communication, less interference and scatter. Beside physics what else enters the equation?

I am not sure what you are implying with your statements? With properly aligned and aimed antennas additional height of the sUAV usually improves communication, less interference and scatter. Beside physics what else enters the equation?
I guess you'll just have to try it for yourself and observe the results.

If you watched early videos of P1 you'd see people flying them ridiculous heights above take off. One guy flew one at base camp of Everest I think in super thin air. Later versions of phantoms p3 etc had software limits on elevation. Some people hacked theirs to remove those limits. The H has a published speed limit of 28mph or so and yet people are posting nearly 60mph with GPS disabled. Even if you get specs from manufacturer they may not be accurate in all modes. The GUI allows you to change some limits but I haven't tested those limits and until someone does we won't really know.

So are you saying the H is fundamentally different that all other sUAVs, or can't you explain whatever phenomenon you are alluding to?
No need to explain as people seem **** bent on assumptions (horizontal and vertical are the same). I can honestly say when using DJI Lightbridge I'll get on average 2 km (2000 meters) range horizontal. But if at the same location I go vertical, the signal drops out at 450 meters). Thought this odd, but it is reality and the amount of battery power required up and down does again not equal the same as flying horizontally (it's more). This is why for some people it's better they try it themselves and review there results.

You need a powerfull antenna and a battery with more charge to achieve height. Stock items are not going to achieve it

No need to explain as people seem **** bent on assumptions (horizontal and vertical are the same). I can honestly say when using DJI Lightbridge I'll get on average 2 km (2000 meters) range horizontal. But if at the same location I go vertical, the signal drops out at 450 meters). Thought this odd, but it is reality and the amount of battery power required up and down does again not equal the same as flying horizontally (it's more). This is why for some people it's better they try it themselves and review there results.

You need a powerfull antenna and a battery with more charge to achieve height. Stock items are not going to achieve it
It's allot do do with the orientation of the antennas on the drone (not the controler). The higher you go, the more vertical the drone is in relation to the controller. If the antennas on the aircraft point down and you are flying overhead (or near to overhead) then you will lose gain. That is why you are likely to get better range horizontally than vertically. (as far as I understand the physics...please correct me if I'm wrong)

First off there is no way I would fly to 450 meter AGL unless it was along a mountain side. Battery power is not the same issue as communication you mentioned in the earlier post.

And it doesn't take a "powerfull antenna and a battery with more charge" to fly to heights that sUAV go. As has been pointed out the antenna alignments are the real issue.

I have see many many UAVs fly to legal heights overhead (including $50 toys) and not a one needed a "powerfull antenna and a battery with more charge'.

First off there is no way I would fly to 450 meter AGL unless it was along a mountain side. Battery power is not the same issue as communication you mentioned in the earlier post.

And it doesn't take a "powerfull antenna and a battery with more charge" to fly to heights that sUAV go. As has been pointed out the antenna alignments are the real issue.

I have see many many UAVs fly to legal heights overhead (including $50 toys) and not a one needed a "powerfull antenna and a battery with more charge'.
I've been flying drones for over 18 months now and never once had a problem flying up to the legal maximum (in my early days allot higher before I was clear about the law). I gotta say that in none of those flights I used anything other than stock antennas. As I said in my post above, it's all down to antenna orientation. Obviously with a better antenna on the controller you are gonna get better connectivity overall but by simply moving the antenna on the controller to the horizontal when flying the drone directly overhead will give a better connection, given that you can't adjust the antenna's orientation on the drone while in flight.

Yes you can go over 400 feet. I never have, why bother. With a P3s I heard of people up past 2000 feet and higher. But to your question. Yes the Typhoon H can do any height the P3 can. Its your Typhoon H do what you want with it. Just follow the rules, well most of the time anyway. 2 ways of doing it, Fly is total manual flight, meaning you my disable some things on your Typhoon and no I wont tell you what. Or find the Modded firmware that is floating around. and no I don't have it. It you what to do this just google till you find this information.

Also Just rent a boat go 12 miles from U.S. and there you should be able to fly as high and as far as you want. But I maybe wrong, as I don't know if the U.S. has taken control of the world the day you try it

Last edited:
Interesting all the fuss surrounding drones. I have been flying RC aircraft and helis for years and no FAA or CAA software was installed to limit altitude. People often see how high they can go, limited by your eyesight generally but well over 400ft.
I watched a DJI go to 4950ft on you tube, which all said and done despite being irresponsible is apretty impressive testament to the drones quality.
Additionally if your flying miles from any airport in an area you know well and rarely if ever see air traffic. Just how 'irresponsible' is that?
Its probably far more irresponsible flying close to kids, crowds, roads etc. The blades on a typhoon H pro are razor blades when spinning.
I reckon it would do far more damage to a person than an aircraft.
Still rules are rules so stick to em, i am paranoid when I fly any RC craft its the only way to be.
I also suggest you get insured, we have the BMFA in UK, if your in UK join it and get insured.

The altitude paranoia relative to drones is a bit over the top. The concern should not be about max altitude in general but about maintaining safe separation from manned aircraft. That separation needs to be paramount regardless of altitude because manned aircraft might be encountered at any altitude in some location, and that's before helicopters are entered into the equation.

Hobby use does not have an altitude limit, nor is there one for model aviation in general. Commercial use does have a 400'-500' altitude limit depending on how the operator is licensed, but those limits can be exceeded if possessing a waiver or when shooting a structure that exceeds the standard published altitude cap. For example, a commercial operator can fly at 1,000+ if the structure is at that height and they remain within 400' of the structure.

So don't get all hung up on a 400' number that has no basis in fact or law for hobby level activities. Be extremely concerned about flight safety and safe separation from manned aircraft. Each of us is always 100% responsible for that. Be cognizant of typical flight patterns of manned aircraft in the area you are going to fly before flying there and avoid higher altitudes within 5 miles or so of an airport. Learn how to read an aviation VFR sectional chart in order to easily determined where conflicts could be anticipated before attempting flight in a given area. Don't use the internet to establish that something is fact unless that information is provided by an official source. Too many read something posted by a relative nobody and immediately believe what was related is true. More often than not the information is not true or fails to provide a considerable amount of otherwise qualifying information that would significantly change what was related had it been included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting all the fuss surrounding drones. I have been flying RC aircraft and helis for years and no FAA or CAA software was installed to limit altitude. People often see how high they can go, limited by your eyesight generally but well over 400ft.
I watched a DJI go to 4950ft on you tube, which all said and done despite being irresponsible is apretty impressive testament to the drones quality.
Additionally if your flying miles from any airport in an area you know well and rarely if ever see air traffic. Just how 'irresponsible' is that?
Its probably far more irresponsible flying close to kids, crowds, roads etc. The blades on a typhoon H pro are razor blades when spinning.
Still rules are rules so stick to em, i am paranoid when I fly any RC craft its the only way to be.
I also suggest you get insured, we have the BMFA in UK, if your in UK join it and get insured.
Contrary to popular belief there is no absolute height limitation for the hobby flyer in the U.K. other than the need to keep the aircraft in VLOS: the 400 ft limitation is for the commercial operator. Having said that, though, the CAA does take the view that anything much above 400 ft will render the aircraft not in VLOS. So, while a hobby flier has his aircraft at, say, 600 ft will not necessarily be in contravention of a height limitation, the CAA will take the view that he does not adequately have VLOS and so will be flying illegally.

I'm now a commercial operator but when I first started flying multi-rotors and before I was clear about the 'rules', I used to regularly fly 600 ft and above (highest was about 1000 ft with a Phantom 2 Vision) and never had a problem with air traffic because I flew well away from airports, etc. These days if I were having a recreational flight, as apposed to a commercial flight, I am still limited to 400 ft because of the firmware...I'd still be using the same aircraft I would use for commercial operations where the 400 ft rule applies.

I agree, though, that it is probably more important to keep clear of people. Those blades are like razors! But even if my aircraft wasn't limited to 400 ft I don't think I'd be inclined to fly much above 400ft (recreational) since experience has shown me that my best videos and photos are from flights at a much lower altitudes...lower than 250 ft actually.

Nobody flies above 400 feet where you started from.
We never break the rules.
I did fly up to 2,451 feet but I started at 2051. It seemed fine.. I'm sure some folks living in Colorado fly above 6000 ASL.
I did read somewhere that above 5000 ASL you can only fly in turtle mode. Have not been high enough yet to test that.

Hey "g2em3" when you say ASL are you referring to (Above Sea Level)? Because when you say that you may have read somewhere that the H is only capable of flying in turtle mode when at or above 5000' ASL, either you read wrong or they are giving out incorrect information. I live in Utah & the altitude of my home is approx. 4,350' ASL & I live down in the Salt Lake City Valley so ie we have a city that famous for skying called Park City that has a 7000' Elevation & above that we have Deere Valley that has an average elevation of 8,100' ASL & it has sky lifts that surpass the 10,000' Elevation mark. I personally have only flown from my home elevation so I've gotten close but only up to about 4,850' but you've now got me curious to try above 5000' just for the heck of it, but currently I'm out of town spending Thanksgiving with family down in Arizona & won't be back home until the 3rd of December so won't be able to report back on my results, but like I said you've gotten me curious enough that I will be testing out that theory although I really doubt it to be true at all considering that if it were limited to only fly in Turtle mode at those higher elevations would turn into a problem for the pilot/owner of the H because as you go higher in elevation the air get thinner which means that you need to either increase engine RPM or propeller surface area to compensate for the thinner air.

But as we all head into winter with the temperatures getting much lower. As air becomes cooler & cooler it also becomes thicker so when you fly your H during the summer in 95 degree weather & then fly it again at the same location but while it is only 35 degrees outside, without taking into account any of the effects the cold weather may have on the H or any of it's many items then technically your H would run much more efficiently with such things happening like at 50% throttle if your H normally would fly at Example: 20MPH then when in the cold weather that same H would be able to travel at Example: 25mph because it's pushing thicker air although it would require increased power consumption, so really this is again basically like having the same talk of how much a bigger battery will gain you in speed or performance but if you go to big of a battery that weighs to much then all your gains become losses. Thanks Tom C.

Seems like most of the high altitude flights on Youtube are DJI pilots and most have very limited experience flying anything. A significant number of those were "recovered" after landing (crashing).
Many new pilots are not aware of the differences in climbing and descending. Generally a quad or hex will climb about 50% faster than it will descend. You use a lot of battery to get up that high and then you have to descend with a nearly depleted battery and you simply run out of time before it plummets to the ground. From a safety standpoint, it's not just getting into aircraft airspace it's also the uncontrolled crash. You have no control what it's going to hit.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe any Yuneec product references sea level altitude, they possess just a simple differential barometer which calculates the delta between the take off point, which should be zero altitude regardless of location, and pressure at the flight altitude using a general lapse rate to compute the flight altitude. I seriously doubt the pressure altimeter references 29.92 in.hg, zero humidity, and 59*F as a basis for anything.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe any Yuneec product references sea level altitude, they possess just a simple differential barometer which calculates the delta between the take off point, which should be zero altitude regardless of location, and pressure at the flight altitude using a general lapse rate to compute the flight altitude. I seriously doubt the pressure altimeter references 29.92 in.hg, zero humidity, and 59*F as a basis for anything.

The only SL reference of which I am aware is the 8000' ceiling on motor start. According to many posts that limit seems to be fairly accurate within +(-) 100'. It is likely derived from the GPS altitude although I have no way to verify that.

hi
i tried to change the altitude setting in the GUI to 150 meters (500 feet), i could change it in the GUI but during the flight the drone doesn't want to go higher than 118 meters (400 feet)

Buy using the GUI download you can adjust the height limit to 1000 meters AGL. Not legal to do and I personally don't see any need to go that high. The speedo on my car goes to 160mph and I don't go that fast either, but you asked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss