Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Automated Grid flight UAV toolbox

I am surprised no one has tried it yet. I have has it set up and ready to test for some time now.

Thanks for the flattering talk guys. I'm hesitant to go the crowd funding route as there are a lot of ways that can go sour. I'm really pleased with the new functions this coming release adds, and hope that it will generate enough excitement (and, let's face it, sales) to justify the next phase of development. That will be all about mapping and planning flights - and I hope to throw in a few cool new features along the way.

Above all, I'd like you to buy UAV Toolbox for the features it currently has, so that you have a useful, satisfying tool that helps you make the most out of your machine. Whilst I'll talk about what I hope to do next, I'm wary of making promises that I cannot guarantee.

As for the firmware updates - my understanding is that it is possible to fly the H480 on a H920 profile, so you get maps as you fly. However, the waypoints and grid planning functions will not work - the H480 flight controller does not support the missions that the H920 profile creates. My plans are that UAV Toolbox will support both types of mission (Curved Cable Cam on the H480 and whatever it's called on the H920/H520 (Waypoint Missions??)).

Once I've got this release out of the way (nearly there!!), I'll be looking into all of this in more detail and let you know what I figure out.

I've recently looked at and tried some apps that can automate flight and have found nothing that suits me through ease of use better than UAV Toolbox.
My vote goes to Tuna for his efforts and, moreover, his customer service.
I won't go into all the boring details but due to an issue with a firmware update and the re-installation of UAV Toolbx I contacted Tuna and that same day was given a resolution. That doesn't happen too often.
I have been given access to the latest beta with some very useful additions and am currently playing with it. If only the weather would cooperate!!
I have made a small contribution to continue to use the app. because I think it is worth it and fulfills my needs.
The only addition, at this time, that would assist me with my fledgling, no pun intended, business is the ability to create automated grids for mapping, crop inspections and even, for instance, searching for missing people.
I'll make the commitment here and now that I am prepared to stay with UAV Toolbox and contribute more for an app that COMPLETELY fulfills my needs. NOT too much of course!
I guess we could, if we put our minds to it, create our own Crowd Funding so that Tuna can give us what we need and want. Anyone want to take on this onerous task?
Well done Tuna - keep up the brilliant work.

I second that!
I'm with Tuna all the way. He's addressed my picky little issues in the beta version of the upcoming release (altitude display won't show negative numbers? No problem! ;~), and always responds promptly to questions/feedback. Besides, he seems a likeable bloke as well.

Thanks for the flattering talk guys. I'm hesitant to go the crowd funding route as there are a lot of ways that can go sour. I'm really pleased with the new functions this coming release adds, and hope that it will generate enough excitement (and, let's face it, sales) to justify the next phase of development. That will be all about mapping and planning flights - and I hope to throw in a few cool new features along the way.

Above all, I'd like you to buy UAV Toolbox for the features it currently has, so that you have a useful, satisfying tool that helps you make the most out of your machine. Whilst I'll talk about what I hope to do next, I'm wary of making promises that I cannot guarantee.

As for the firmware updates - my understanding is that it is possible to fly the H480 on a H920 profile, so you get maps as you fly. However, the waypoints and grid planning functions will not work - the H480 flight controller does not support the missions that the H920 profile creates. My plans are that UAV Toolbox will support both types of mission (Curved Cable Cam on the H480 and whatever it's called on the H920/H520 (Waypoint Missions??)).

Once I've got this release out of the way (nearly there!!), I'll be looking into all of this in more detail and let you know what I figure out.
Just unlocked uavtoolbox and it looks great. Wife was really impressed. I told her there's more to come, that you're not done yet. Thanks.

Last edited:
I've been away from the forum for some time but am encouraged by the positive feedback.
I have to say at the outset that I am NOT associated with TUNA or UAV Toolbox in any way but just simply like the application.
We all know that time is money. Tuna's time in developing this application is valuable - it does have a price.
We all know that a mapping grid would be extremly useful but, of course we don't have one dedicated to the the H.
There are, I'm lead to believe 6500 users of the H on this forum. Don't ask me where I got that figure from - I don't know.
If we were able to get 100 of those users seriously interested in an app.that included a mapping grid - because there must be that many users interested - then we could finance the work by TUNA.
I don't have many contacts in the industry but there will be those with many contacts. If we can achieve that 100 users who were able to pledge 20 of their local currency, be it $ or £ then I'm sure we would achive excactly what we're looking for. A mapping grid app. to rival anything that DJI can produce.
I can only ask you to contact fliers in your personal network to pledge, call it £20, not a lot. then we have £2000 with which to py for TUNA's time.
See what you can come up with. Have a go.

Hi All , I have been on this forum for only a short time, but am in need of a system that generates a gird that Flys straight lines and is simply, e to use. We have looked at the H 920 grid planner hack by Brent D and it is looking good but need to get it to work on the PC also with the ST 16 but we will get there . I would gladly pay $100 aud for UAV Tool box with those features and I know approx 10 other H owners that would pay that to have a app that works on all the formats of autonomous flight. Don't forget that a lot of us are using these fabulous machines to make us money. That is cheap for anything in the building industry that I am in. With roof inspections you need to be confident in the ability of your machine and hardware to do the job properly and do it above all safely. An accounting package for every little business ( MYOB OR QUICKEN BOOKS ETC. ) are a lot more than $ 100 bucks and they want a top up every year. After saying that I think that our business would be happy to pay $ 1000 for a good app that does the job. So I would be confident that all the people that I know would be the same. How much do you pay for the DJI Leichi app ( haven't got a clue of cost ) but I will bet my house that it is more than the $ 25 au that TUNA charges. So TUNA you have a lot of work to do and get it to Australia. You can contact me on email [email protected] as to what I am looking for in the app but I think that you have it nailed with your questionnaire and just the need for this way points app like on the H920 only on the H480 and that works on any pc for ease of working in the office when weather is bad and you have some time to plan all the next jobs. Johnno Hennessy. Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

Well put Johnno. I would like to think that Tuna has been waiting for such a financial incentive as you have just offered. The last time I spoke with Tuna he was going to be waiting to see what Yuneec was going to do.
I think we have to bear in mind that Yuneec are in the business of selling drones. The sales of H's is now falling off hence the releaseof the newer models - the 520 and the 920. This is all very well for those who are prepared to abandon their H and spend a whole lot more money on the "upgrade". I, for one, am not prepared to do that forr 2 reasons. One is that the H is a great value drone which will do almost anything you ask of it (except fly a grid) and two, quite frankly I cannot afford to "move up".
Yuneec must, by now, be well aware that they have neglected the thousands of H owners as regards griding and have done nothing to resolve the situation. That has left a nasty taste in my mouth.
I must say that I am not in a position to offer Tuna a 1000 Aussie dollars to develop a gridding program for the H but am prepared to make a contribution, as I did for UAV Toolbox.
So Tuna in view of Johnno's post how about taking another look at the project? Looks like you may have found your crowd funding (above).
All the best All.

Reactions: williamalban
Thanks for that comment Aussiejay, but we do need this app to work other wise Yuneec will make the H 480 obsolete and it is too good for that to happen to. This all because we need an app that will do grid work, it is already history that the H48p is a fantastic and affordable camera platform and is capable of doing this other work and in higher winds than DJI has in the same price bracket. Maybe we can only plead with TUNA to keep going on the app and contact me about what is required funding wise to make it a success. We need this to become reality, even if he works in with the other people on the H flight planner apps with the grid in there but has problems, but no doubt can have a solution found. I have a terrific area for this to work in and it is only early days for this business which will no doubt grow bigger. Maybe that is Yuneec's idea wthat the H 520 every body upgrade to them at a bigger cost, but I don't think that will work as there are too many owners that are satisfied with this platform the way it is now. So hopefully Tuna will read this and get in contact, [email protected] or mobile in Australia 0412 735 913, that is my only ph and it is on 24/7 so Tuna contact me and have a chat about the future for all the owners of a Yuneec H 480 or quad Q500 . Johnno Hennessy. Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

Thanks for the flattering words guys. I'm looking at what the SDK will make possible, where the H520 is going and Yuneec's plans for this and future models. There are a few things I'd like to do, so it's a question of what will add the most value. Keep talking, and hopefully things will crystallise over the next few weeks.

Thanks for reply Tuna, Sadly I have just read some where that the new mapping application on the H 520 is rounding the corners. It seems like if you get a grid system up and running for the H 480 and it is a success you will be well ahead of Yuneec and those that have the 480 can do the mapping work that the 520 is unable to do until they have a fix for it. I still think that if you have an app it has to also work on the pc interface when connected to the 480 with the micro SD and USB cable. This makes doing missions on the computer more accurate with a mouse pointer that by someone like me with big fingers that cover the better part of the way point position. I know it can be done now with down loading to Micro SD card then uploading to the st16. I did some playing with the st16 with a computer programmer and he said that if the android loaded on the st16 was an AUTHORIZED COPY everything could be load like a normal tablet instead of having to do it with as quoted ( a side upload ). He uploaded 'Vysor' to my pc to enable this to happen easily in the future. So as of now I can do my mission planning on my pc using an accurate mouse and save it to my St 16 as if we are using the st16 tablet. So yesTuna I do think that there is a great need for this app to the H 480 and to be pc interface compatible. Maybe if they used an authorized copy of the Android operating system first they might not be have ing all these problems. I am No expert but we must go forward or we will have no alternatives ,the H 480 is such a great stable platform to use , I think that it is worthwhile pushing forward with this,as the 520 looks like it will have teething problems ,which is a damp pity, and now is the time to push with this . I don't know how many H owners there are but I bet that everyone of them would love an app that worked well as they flew past P4P to do some work. As I said before I am only too happy to help any way that I can to get this done and am willing to put money where my mouth is, so in the not too distant future we can have this app and move forward. Jo

Tuna ,
The info on the H520 problems are on the Jeff Sibelius Texas Drones face book page by Gary Mayo. It maybe worth looking into or asking questions as you are better connected than most of us on this forum. Again Tuna I for one would like to thank you for what you have done with uavtool box and into the future. Johnno Hennessy Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

I doubt the 'rounded corner' thing is a real issue - the DataPilot app is based on some industry standard software and Pixhawk controller, so it's a lot more sophisticated than the H480. I'll take a look at Jeff's page and see what's being said.

Reactions: Ralphy
Can't find any mention of rounding corners in Data Pilot? Anyone have a link?

Cool I just learned about this Data Pilot. It would be nice to see those kind of features evolve into the UAV toolbox or even have a UAV toolbox pro as seperate program for more advanced users.

I think it's about time that we H owners threw up our hands in despair. We have been waiting for some long time now for either Yuneec or other 3rd party developer, to come up with a mapping app., similar to that which comes with the 520. IT IS JUST NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!!
As I understand it mapping has not been included with the H+ so why would they make it available to H480 owners.
Great shame.........................

Yes, It has been a long time. I asked Tuna in another thread how he was going with the extras for UAVTOOL BOX. At one stage of the conversation he took a survey of what us owners and pilots of the H 480 would like to see on his TOOLBOX and it was over wheleming the response for a grid mapping system not necessarily survey work. But for our company doing roofing and building inspections it would take a lot of hard work out of the equation for time and ease of planning ,it can be done in the office. Maybe he has been waiting g for this new stuff to come out from Yuneec. Still no grid system for the H 480 and there is a huge need for it ,as most of us will do what we should always do with any new model wait to get the bugs ironed out of it , the H Plus doesn't have it so it is needed for the 480 . I personally don't find anything wrong with the r80 except it could be made easier to use with a grid mapping system . I have been using the hack from the 920 and put the file in to a new 480 profile and bind it and have not had any problems to date . I think a lot of others use it also with out any problems so far, but would be good to have one made for the 480 for peace of mind. I am sure that Tuna will come up with it now that he knows which way Yuneec have decided to go into the future. The 480 is still a fantastic machine and does the jobs to date but it can do with some improvements . I have successfully relocated the GPS unit and am doing some tests with our other H's for a comparison and so far is looking very good and I am trying to get a hold of Dario to see about his GPS module with a .025 cm accuracy in a 3D sphere.
Johnno Hennessy.
Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

Reactions: Ralphy and Dr Delta
Yes, It has been a long time. I asked Tuna in another thread how he was going with the extras for UAVTOOL BOX. At one stage of the conversation he took a survey of what us owners and pilots of the H 480 would like to see on his TOOLBOX and it was over wheleming the response for a grid mapping system not necessarily survey work. But for our company doing roofing and building inspections it would take a lot of hard work out of the equation for time and ease of planning ,it can be done in the office. Maybe he has been waiting g for this new stuff to come out from Yuneec. Still no grid system for the H 480 and there is a huge need for it ,as most of us will do what we should always do with any new model wait to get the bugs ironed out of it , the H Plus doesn't have it so it is needed for the 480 . I personally don't find anything wrong with the r80 except it could be made easier to use with a grid mapping system . I have been using the hack from the 920 and put the file in to a new 480 profile and bind it and have not had any problems to date . I think a lot of others use it also with out any problems so far, but would be good to have one made for the 480 for peace of mind. I am sure that Tuna will come up with it now that he knows which way Yuneec have decided to go into the future. The 480 is still a fantastic machine and does the jobs to date but it can do with some improvements . I have successfully relocated the GPS unit and am doing some tests with our other H's for a comparison and so far is looking very good and I am trying to get a hold of Dario to see about his GPS module with a .025 cm accuracy in a 3D sphere.
Johnno Hennessy.
That's good info thanks for sharing. I haven't seen a video yet of the H flying a mission with the Data pilot hack. Can you share at least one with us?

Hi Ralph,
It is a rather long thread but if you put in, way points on the h 480, it is very good and easy to follow. I also use toe other two apps but the auto grid on H planner sometime freezes. There is one person on there that has done a video with links. It is worth reading the whole thing from start to finish. I spoke with Dr Delta and he has been using it with no problems at all, that is in another thread which I dont have on me now. I am not very good with computers and putting up videos but I am in the state of just learning, I don't even know how to private message somebody in this forum, let alone post videos or pictures just yet. So please forgive me and hopefully in the not to distant I will be able to do that and will be able to share a heap of new things with all the meMyers on this forum. I have also started a thread for a better GPS module , it is , Dario's more accurate G PS Module. I think that is it but DARIO is the key word. Also I have just finished relocating the stock GPS UNIT in the H 480 to being away from all the interference, to provide more stable flights. So far very good still doing comparative test and should be ready to put something on the forum in about 3 weeks. My business partner is the computer man and with his help we will get something to post . Computers and I are not on each other's Christmas card lists, so as to say. I like your property adaptors also , and hoping that Tuna can now get something up and running after knowing where YUNEEC are heading. Especially no straight grid flying for the 480. Shame as it is perfect around suburbia for my line of work ( roof and building inspections ) .small and transportable and super stable in windy conditions and camera not bad with PixAero 8mm lens. I hope that this gives you some information to get you thinking. Johnno Hennessy.

John,

To PM someone just click on their name in in a post they made and select “start a conversation”. That’s the easiest way.

For a lot of roof work, if you can aim the H in the direction you want it to go and get the altitude where you want it to be, Cruise Control can be helpful. Aim it in the direction you want to go, and use the cruise control buttons to get it going at a speed you like. Start video and use the turret controls to aim the camera. Since you won’t be guiding the H as cruise control is dealing with flight direction and speed you’ll have a hand free to work the camera. It’s not waypoints but it works well to reduce workload and simplify flight ops.

Once you try it a few times you’ll find cruise control quite useful. Easiest is to start out using forward or back and aim the camera off to the sides or where needed. When done “stir” the right stick quickly and it comes out of cruise control and hovers. You can still make small directional adjustments with the right stick while in cruise control but big stick moves will cancel cruise control. Throttle stick is still functional for altitude adjustment. Each press of a cruise control button increases or decreases the speed. With mine it usually takes three quick presses to get it started going real slow. More presses, more speed. The opposing button decreases speed. Give a shout if you want more about using Cruise Control.

Reactions: Ralphy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Siyaco