Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!
Reaction score
Hello,
I have to change ST16's channels 1-3 to higher, because I have custom setup with thermal camera and the thermal camera uses same frequence (2,4GHz, channel 1) than Typhoon H (2,4GHz).
So, I have to change ST16's 1-3 channels to another ones, because if the thermal camera uses channel 1, it means that the thermal camera covers channels 1-3.

It looks like that ST16 uses these functions in channels 1-3:
channel 1 - throttle
channel 2 - aileron
channel 3 - elevator

How can I change these functions to higher channels with ST16 ?
In ST16's channel settings there is channels 13-24 marked as grey and I can not activate those, will those channels be unused ?
If those channels are unused, is it possible to change throttle, aileron and elevator to those channels ?

Is there some what I must be taken into account when changing channels ?

Thanks for answers !

Channel settings have nothing to do with frequency. All channel data will be transferred by data messages via ZigBee radio transmission. If you change channel assignment, only the place of the payload data inside the message will be changed, nothing else. Frequency remains the same.
It is long time ago that channels we distributed to different frequencies. Now we have digital methods to transfer data. I think the both connections, 2.4GHz WiFi and 2.4Ghz ZigBee can coexist. Maybe range could be lower due to higher noise level but the data connection itself based on coding that was agreed during binding process between sender and receiver.

Channel 13-24 cannot be used because firmware will ignore it. It decodes only messages type 0 and 3 which contains only 12 channels each 12 bit length (3 channels in 4 bytes).

If you will do experiments with channel settings, please create a new model for it and test channels in output monitor before flight. A lot of strange things may happen if channel settings are used.
However, the above request will not be solved by channel settings for todays digital radio connections.

br HE

Thanks for your answer !
Ok, so I thought that RC connection channels would be same than 2,4GHz channels (for example like in Wifi).
If I understood right, the controller sends signal (in this situation with 2,4GHz frequency) to drone with one channel and then the ZigBee receiver uses 12 channels inside drone, right ?

Do you know what is this one channel, what the controller uses to send commands to drone's ZigBee receiver ?
So, you think that 2,4GHz Wifi in channel 1 could work with Typhoon H480 and ST16 ?

I have understood that even if wifi would cause some interference to ZigBee 2,4GHz transmission, outside troublemaker can not give any commands to drone, right ?

For digital connections the data transmission is more complex but has the advantage that the frequency band can be used more efficient. Even WiFi can have different independent connections on the same frequency channel because the data is controlled by the firmware/software. The physical layer, in this case the RF connection, is separated from this. To understand it better smart people have invented the OSI layer model for that.
Physical layer can be RF connection, cable, optical connection or whatever (even drums).
The next level is an agreement about the data format. I our case here the message format used by the ST16 firmware.
The messages are embedded in ZigBee protocol that contains all functionality/definitions to create a network and control all needed functions to make sure the data will reach the right receiver, what coding is used and so on. Our ZigBee is a 1:1 connection (the drone bound with ST16) but ZigBee is also often used for home automation and in this case it uses a network with more subscribers. Normally WiFi uses IP protocol. This is different and makes sure that one cannot disturb the data connectivity of the other. With other words, they do not have the same language.
ZigBee also defines what to do to be sure that data packages reach the correct partner of the transmission. So, not only WiFi cannot disturb ZigBee transmission but other ZigBee also cannot disturb us. That means you can fly with friends and all have ST16s for their own drones.

So, yes, outside troublemaker cannot give any commands to drone.

But with special equipment and hacker knowledge you can penetrate a network or a connection and do strange things. Another possibility is to disturb the physical layer. With enough power you can blow away all radio connections. Drone guns are doing this.
Hacking ZigBee is also possible but I'm pretty sure nobody will spent this effort for those some Yuneec drones.

Which exact frequency will be used depends on argeemets between transmitter and receiver during binding process and during actual connection. According the FCC test report SR24 uses the following frequencies:

Bildschirmfoto vom 2022-05-24 19-31-56.png

What camera/gimbal do you have?
What are you using to control it?
What control problems are you seeing?
My main idea is to attach thermal camera to 3d printed gimbal top plate. So I will put off the CGO3+ camera and replace it with a thermal camera.
The thermal camera uses 2,4GHz Wifi connection (in channel 1) and I control it with Windows software.
I just checking that if some people have had problems with 2,4GHz Wifi and Typhoon H when the Wifi device is attached to Typhoon's body.
Do you have any experiences about Wifi and Typhoon H together ?
For digital connections the data transmission is more complex but has the advantage that the frequency band can be used more efficient. Even WiFi can have different independent connections on the same frequency channel because the data is controlled by the firmware/software. The physical layer, in this case the RF connection, is separated from this. To understand it better smart people have invented the OSI layer model for that.
Physical layer can be RF connection, cable, optical connection or whatever (even drums).
The next level is an agreement about the data format. I our case here the message format used by the ST16 firmware.
The messages are embedded in ZigBee protocol that contains all functionality/definitions to create a network and control all needed functions to make sure the data will reach the right receiver, what coding is used and so on. Our ZigBee is a 1:1 connection (the drone bound with ST16) but ZigBee is also often used for home automation and in this case it uses a network with more subscribers. Normally WiFi uses IP protocol. This is different and makes sure that one cannot disturb the data connectivity of the other. With other words, they do not have the same language.
ZigBee also defines what to do to be sure that data packages reach the correct partner of the transmission. So, not only WiFi cannot disturb ZigBee transmission but other ZigBee also cannot disturb us. That means you can fly with friends and all have ST16s for their own drones.

So, yes, outside troublemaker cannot give any commands to drone.

But with special equipment and hacker knowledge you can penetrate a network or a connection and do strange things. Another possibility is to disturb the physical layer. With enough power you can blow away all radio connections. Drone guns are doing this.
Hacking ZigBee is also possible but I'm pretty sure nobody will spent this effort for those some Yuneec drones.

Which exact frequency will be used depends on argeemets between transmitter and receiver during binding process and during actual connection. According the FCC test report SR24 uses the following frequencies:

View attachment 28153
Thanks for your comprehensive response ! Next I will test if Typhoon H and 2,4GHz channel 1 Wifi can work together.

My main idea is to attach thermal camera to 3d printed gimbal top plate. So I will put off the CGO3+ camera and replace it with a thermal camera.
The thermal camera uses 2,4GHz Wifi connection (in channel 1) and I control it with Windows software.
I just checking that if some people have had problems with 2,4GHz Wifi and Typhoon H when the Wifi device is attached to Typhoon's body.
Do you have any experiences about Wifi and Typhoon H together ?

Thanks for your comprehensive response ! Next I will test if Typhoon H and 2,4GHz channel 1 Wifi can work together.
I believe @h-elsner advised creating a new model and binding to it to experiment with this setup and I agree wholeheartedly. When you get to the binding part after creating a new model be sure to have the thermal cam and its WiFi link active and the SR24 may select a channel away from that signal. Just to enlighten you both the aircraft and the ST16 employ an SR24 Zigbee transceiver to establish the RC communication link.

Here is a video on creating and binding to a new model.

Reactions: WTFDproject
I believe @h-elsner advised creating a new model and binding to it to experiment with this setup and I agree wholeheartedly. When you get to the binding part after creating a new model be sure to have the thermal cam and its WiFi link active and the SR24 may select a channel away from that signal. Just to enlighten you both the aircraft and the ST16 employ an SR24 Zigbee transceiver to establish the RC communication link.

Here is a video on creating and binding to a new model.
Ok, it can be good idea to give the SR24 select working channel in that way. I will check that if I have two models (for example for normal and thermal camera use) and those models are paired to SR24 with different channels, will they use different channels that way that there is no any shared or same channel between those two models after I have used one of these models ?
In other words: two models in ST16 are totally independent of each other, right ?
It can be that I will use only the thermal camera model also when CGO3+ is attached, because it does not matter if it use other channel than normally. The CGO3+ uses 5,8GHz connection, so it can not be problem, right ?

....I will check that if I have two models (for example for normal and thermal camera use) and those models are paired to SR24 with different channels, will they use different channels that way that there is no any shared or same channel between those two models after I have used one of these models ?
In other words: two models in ST16 are totally independent of each other, right ?......
No. The different camera selections for the ST16 are more about the video related selections available for the different Yuneec cameras. They may allow use of the ST16 for viewing the aftermarket Thermal video, but it seems very doubtful. Especially if the new camera is broadcasting video on 2.4Ghz. The ST16 is looking for a 5.8Ghz video signal.
All of the Yuneec cameras for a given model drone use the same 5.8 and 2.4 signals for all the cameras associated with that drone model. The differences in the camera models are just in which display and settings options are available for the different Yuneec cameras. The options provided are specific to Yuneec cameras.
It does seem fairly unlikely the thermal camera will interfere with the factory Yuneec equipment. But that will not be known for sure until you try it.

The channel assignment on ZigBee physical layer is done when connection will be established, not only in binding procedure but all the time we switch on the ST16+drone. ZigBee is also able to use frequency hopping. I'm not sure if SR24 uses it, but I think it will do. The used microchip CC2530 is a System-on-chip solution for ZigBee and should fullfill all the features of ZigBee.

What I meant above with using a new model was regarding the question about Channel Settings - Just as warning / reminder.

br HE

Reactions: DoomMeister
Thanks for all answers !
I will next try that will the 2,4GHz Wifi thermal camera work with Typhoon H.

I will create a new model to ST16 and bind the Typhoon H and ST16 when the thermal camera is on before flying with the thermal camera.
I can inform, did I succeed after testing.

I have not had time yet to test the thermal camera modification, but now I have got most of needed parts attached to Typhoon's frame.

I have still one question about thermal camera battery attachment:
what is your opinion is it safe to attach the thermal camera battery (about 85 grams) to one of the Typhoon's motor arm ?

I think if I attach the battery to rear motor arm that it will also level the attachments weights, because the camera is attached to front of the Typhoon.
I must attach the battery under the motor arm to avoid propellers hitting the battery.

The biggest challenge is keeping the CG (center of gravity) balanced front/back and left/right. The other issue is twist the battery wiring to cut down on magnetic interference. You may even need to do a compass calibration with this system turned on so the compass can compensate for it.

The biggest challenge is keeping the CG (center of gravity) balanced front/back and left/right. The other issue is twist the battery wiring to cut down on magnetic interference. You may even need to do a compass calibration with this system turned on so the compass can compensate for it.
Yes, I thought same the battery can interference with compass, because the battery and compass will be then on the same side.
I will test if the drone work when I make a compass calibration before I attach the thermal camera and its battery to Typhoon's frame.

I thought also the weight balance and I ended up with that the camera and battery will level up weight differences between rear and front of the Typhoon.

Can the compass detect that there is interference near it and then compensate the situation that way that all works as it should be ?
If the compass can detect interferences and compensates situation then I worth to calibrate the compass when the battery is attached to Typhoon's frame.

The compass calibration is what will allow for interference, but must be done with the thermal cam and battery mounted and turned on.

The compass calibration is what will allow for interference, but must be done with the thermal cam and battery mounted and turned on.
Ok, so I will calibrate the compass when the thermal camera and battery is turned on and mounted to Typhoon's frame.

I have now tested Typhoon H and Wifi thermal camera combination, I can confirm that it worked great !
There was no any interferences or problems with Typhoon H or Wifi thermal camera.

So, now I have a custom thermal camera with Typhoon H.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval