Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!
Reaction score
Good Afternoon Everyone,

New member here just wanting to ask a few questions around drone repairs.

I am looking to set up a drone repair business in Sheffield UK, I will be going online though so that people will be able to send their drones from all over the UK.

What is the current situation regarding drone repairs? ie. Would you say there are enough at present.

What is the most common repairs you have needed?

Please feel free to get involved in this thread and I will answer any questions that you may have.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Member participation is encouraged in this thread. Please let iDroneRepair know what services you expect from a repair facility. Once he gets set up he plans to become an Approved Vendor.

Good Afternoon Everyone,

New member here just wanting to ask a few questions around drone repairs.

I am looking to set up a drone repair business in Sheffield UK, I will be going online though so that people will be able to send their drones from all over the UK.

What is the current situation regarding drone repairs? ie. Would you say there are enough at present.

What is the most common repairs you have needed?

Please feel free to get involved in this thread and I will answer any questions that you may have.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

My opinion only:

For the H..

Landing gear
Shrapnel clips
Camera/gimble
Props

Those seems to be the biggest amount of repairs just based on reading 100’s of “I crashed” threads, and personal experience. Mostly camera damage, familiarize yourself with all things camera related, and start snatching up camera parts.

For the Q500..

Air frame damaged/cracked
Props
Landing gear damaged

I don’t feel as though there are enough repair facilities to be honest. If you send your drone off to a bigger facility they’re going to charge you a lot more based on their business model. They aren’t only charging us for repairs but in a sense we’re paying them for their overhead, employees, lease, water, heat, tools, insurance...basically everything associated with their business. A one man shop I think could, and should, be very competitively price.

I think most important thing (in any business) is communication with the customer, updates especially. It may be a pain in the *** but if we send our drones in we want to know exactly when we can get in the air again. Under promising or lack of communication will be the fastest way to lose confidence and customers. Imagine sending your drone in for repair and receiving an email indicating exact date you’ll have it back, then receiving another email a day or two later with an update..I’ve rarely seen that in any business, but I’d pay a little more the next time around if I could have type of service, at least for me. Saving $50 dollars and not knowing when I’m getting my drone back isn’t worth it to me in the scheme of things.

Again, all just my opinion.

Wish you luck.

Reactions: iDroneRepair
My opinion only:

For the H..

Landing gear
Shrapnel clips
Camera/gimble
Props

Those seems to be the biggest amount of repairs just based on reading 100’s of “I crashed” threads, and personal experience. Mostly camera damage, familiarize yourself with all things camera related, and start snatching up camera parts.

For the Q500..

Air frame damaged/cracked
Props
Landing gear damaged

I don’t feel as though there are enough repair facilities to be honest. If you send your drone off to a bigger facility they’re going to charge you a lot more based on their business model. They aren’t only charging us for repairs but in a sense we’re paying them for their overhead, employees, lease, water, heat, tools, insurance...basically everything associated with their business. A one man shop I think could, and should, be very competitively price.

I think most important thing (in any business) is communication with the customer, updates especially. It may be a pain in the *** but if we send our drones in we want to know exactly when we can get in the air again. Under promising or lack of communication will be the fastest way to lose confidence and customers. Imagine sending your drone in for repair and receiving an email indicating exact date you’ll have it back, then receiving another email a day or two later with an update..I’ve rarely seen that in any business, but I’d pay a little more the next time around if I could have type of service, at least for me. Saving $50 dollars and not knowing when I’m getting my drone back isn’t worth it to me in the scheme of things.

Again, all just my opinion.

Wish you luck.

Also, reaching out to your potential customers and asking what they want is the first indication that you’ll probably be successful, that should be on the first page of any business-101 manual and you started off correctly. IMO

Thankyou @Done-guy for your input, it's much appreciated.

The repairs you have mentioned do tie in with what other members have said.

It seems to be the case for many drone owner's that when they need a repair they have to send it to the manufacturer due to a lack of repair services which in turn (like you said) comes at a greater cost to the customer.

You have made a very valid point in regards to customer relations and communication. This is definitely something we will take on board!

Thankyou for your last post, we hope to gain a clear picture of what drone owners are looking for in a repair service.

I am mostly curious so don't take any offense to this. I have seen some pretty awesome diagnostics occur on this sight. I try to read and learn who is doing what. From time to time a member will give away some of his secrets,as to where he learned all that he knows about drones flight aerodynamics electronics gps batteries interference,basically what makes our systems run,and how to keep them in the air and to help us less fortunate,in the charecteristics of flight in general. I am amazed at the knowledge on this forum. My H pro and Q500+ both fly to my liking,despite my initial ignorance. I had 1 Major crash with the Q500+ totally my fault due to lack of knowledge,but I was able to replace the airframe and with meashakin like a leaf it still flies to this day. Had a minor crash with the H and straightened camera,replaced some props,and voila,back in the air. I would have sold my H but am up to the challenges,ha,don't want to drive the mini-van when the vet sits in the garage.I would think it would be hard to start a drone repair person with so many things out there that one needs to knowwith these wonderful Yuneec products that have left us pretty much on our own. So with all that said and done yes we do need more support in the parts and repair end of this hobby and I understand Yuneec is stronger in the U.K. at least from what I have read. Also here in U.S. Yuneec skins seems to be going in the right direction.It may help us all,and I know this is asking a lot but I will step out on this limb first. Could you give us all a little background,as all members should be encouraged by this. I see already ,encouragement.Please tell us a little about yourself. Thank you and I do support you and wish you well. Keith C.

Hi @7cyclops

Thanks for your reply and your honesty.

It sounds like you've learnt a lot from the members in this forum which is great, they certainly know what they are talking about.

We will be looking to gain as much knowledge about each individual drone in order to repair them professionally.

Here's a little bit of background about myself.
Once I left school I studied mechanical engineering for 5 years at college and I currently work for a large aerospace company where I am an engineer. All throughout my life I have always been a bit of a tinkerer, I love knowing how and why things work whether that be RC car's, TV's, games consoles, mobiles, computers, laptop's, tablets I just love fixing things.

I now want to start a new challenge in repairing drones.

Please feel free to get involved and ask as many questions as you like, we want our drone repair business to be about you the consumer and what you would like from a repair shop so that we can give you the best repair service possible and be a company that you can all rely on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval