Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Freewell ND Filters for H Plus

That’s the advantage to knowing dimensions. You can shop any brand filter made in the appropriate size and you’re not limited to just a couple of high priced, average quality outfits. If you want glass, buy glass. Like plastic? They’re out there for those that search.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
New email about this from Freewell this morning...

Pls check this video link
I have obtained from a European dealer of Yuneec who has several units of E90 as well as C23 & this will put end to all the speculation of size issue , So yuneec has certainly change the thread size from one shipment to another.

According to them even E90 thread length in new shipment has been reduce earlier they can put it more inside, Pls feel free to share this if you need.

So they have basically kept the adaptor filter size as 40.5 mm I guess so this is the reason they are responding to you it is same size.

Reactions: oliver
Not having a C23 or E-90, are the threads inside the lens ring or outside? If they are inside whomever used the calipers in the video measured the wrong part of the lens.

The threads are outside on the housing. Their measurement on the C23 is the same as mine. The threads are inside in the adapter so it can fit filters with the usual outside threads. Unfortunately the adapter they supplied doesn't fit on my C23. I submitted a support request but haven't heard anything yet.

New email about this from Freewell this morning...

Pls check this video link
I have obtained from a European dealer of Yuneec who has several units of E90 as well as C23 & this will put end to all the speculation of size issue , So yuneec has certainly change the thread size from one shipment to another.

According to them even E90 thread length in new shipment has been reduce earlier they can put it more inside, Pls feel free to share this if you need.

So they have basically kept the adaptor filter size as 40.5 mm I guess so this is the reason they are responding to you it is same size.

Umm, I already see a couple of suspicious things in that video.

1] the difference in measurements according to the numbers shown on the micrometer reading of 39.24 mm (C23) and 39.09 mm (E90) is 0.15 mm! or .005" - 5/1000ths on an inch! To any one used to using one of these tools - what do ya think? ;)

2] Regardless of who the culprit is in the mis-fittings (Yuneec, Freewell or other) the image shown in that video shows a different filter design from the one I have which does fit my C23 and I bet it would also fit any E90.

Screen Shot From The Video - Notice the size of the filter in relation to the lens body. It is larger. Also notice the knurling at the base and the general design of the Filter

Freewell.jpg

This is my Freewell E90/C23 Filter it is a completely different design

C23Filter.jpg

Last edited:
Yes it does. I think Freeewell is trying to put out a small fire with gasoline. It is looking (to me) like Freewell is not a lens maker but rather they buy and resale their product and the people at Freewell have very little QC if any at all. In that video, why not keep the filter in the shot and bring the two different camera bodies into frame and lets see that again. They clearly have different filters they are packaging as E90 filters.

From a design standpoint, for Yuneec to change the lens body would necessitate too many other changes. In fact why would they do it at all - they are the manufacturer and designer, everything is under one roof. It is more likely that the parts that are changing are on the Filter side and there is a breakdown between point of manufacture and point of re-sell. That video and existing known-to-work filters (like mine) prove that fact.

Yes it does. I think Freeewell is trying to put out a small fire with gasoline. It is looking (to me) like Freewell is not a lens maker but rather they buy and resale their product and the people at Freewell have very little QC if any at all. In that video, why not keep the filter in the shot and bring the two different camera bodies into frame and lets see that again. They clearly have different filters they are packaging as E90 filters.

From a design standpoint, for Yuneec to change the lens body would necessitate too many other changes. In fact why would they do it at all - they are the manufacturer and designer, everything is under one roof. It is more likely that the parts that are changing are on the Filter side and there is a breakdown between point of manufacture and point of re-sell. That video and existing known-to-work filters (like mine) prove that fact.

Would you be able to measure across the threads of your C23 and the inside diameter of your Freewell filters? I'm curious how they would compare to the measurements I took of my own. There should be a clear difference.

Umm, I already see a couple of suspicious things in that video.

1] the difference in measurements according to the numbers shown on the micrometer reading of 39.24 mm (C23) and 39.09 mm (E90) is 0.15 mm! or .005" - 5/1000ths on an inch! To any one used to using one of these tools - what do ya think? [emoji6]

2] Regardless of who the culprit is in the mis-fittings (Yuneec, Freewell or other) the image shown in that video shows a different lens design from the one I have which does fit my C23 and I bet it would also fit any E90.

Screen Shot From The Video - Notice the size of the filter in relation to the lens body. It is larger. Also notice the knurling at the base and the general design of the Filter

View attachment 11359

This is my Freewell E90/C23 Filter it is a completely different design

View attachment 11360

To one accustomed to using mics and calipers that .15mm delta falls well within both what could be user error and/or manufacturing tolerance levels. We don’t know if the calipers were “zeroed” between measurements, nor do we know if the tool was ever calibrated for accuracy. A variance of .005” is actually pretty good for a cheaply made, mass produced item. To obtain a consistent tolerance of less costs a lot of money in tool and mold control.

When we watch the video we do not see the user rotate the caliper around the lens to assure he is obtaining the largest value while checking concentricity for either the lens or the filter. One measurement for each object is nowhere close to definitive.

When people see numerical values displayed in the third position after the decimal they often become alarmed if the third decimal position differs much. They need to remember that measurement denotes changes of only 1/1,000 of an inch for each single point change in value. Pretty much the same applies when they check battery cell voltages. Some start to panic when they see a voltage delta of a few 1/100’s (.01) or 1/1000 (.001) of a volt when they need only be concerned with 1/10 (.1) volt.

As we don’t know the design tolerance for either the lens or the filter the dimensions provided are pretty much meaningless. That’s pretty much how all the multirotor manufacturers work as they don’t publish critical design tolerance ranges, or drawings, which assures customers have no manufacturing or performance specs to compare with. Lacking those quality control is whatever they want it to be and can change from one day to the next.

I’m still wondering why he measured the lens housing instead of the threaded area...[emoji848]

Last edited:
Reactions: Ty Pilot
Well said Pat, my thoughts exactly.

The threads on the C23 lens base measure 1.542" or 39.16 mm which; is smack dab in the middle of the two readings in the video by Freewell. Pretty consistent.
I measured the inside diameter of not only the Freewell Filters but also of the Stock Yuneec UV filter - they are the same both at 1.530". Keep in mind we are reading the tips of the threads in one instance and the base in the other so the overlap in size is in the threads.

There has to be a minor difference in thread diameters else we would not be able to fit them together. Screw threads don’t retain things because of a perfect fit. They retain things, or remain tight, because of thread stretch (deformity) when they are tightened. In a perfect design threaded items are never allowed to “bottom out”.

With the Freewell conundrum there could be an issue with thread pitch. As noted by someone earlier, Freewell is not a maker of high quality optical products and could have been provided filters with the wrong thread pitch. The corporate world does not admit to errors on their part unless a government agency holds their feet to a fire.

OTOH, I don’t think Yuneec manufactures or controls manufacturing for all their components. I strongly suspect, in fact I know they use vendors to supply components that get assembled under Yuneec’s roof. If Yuneec found a component where they could reduce their costs a small fraction I’ll wager they would go with the new component in a New York second. Would they perform their due diligence to assure form, fit, and function before making a change? That’s a good question.

Last edited:
EastsideDronehead55 has both filters and probably a caliper. I'm sure we can end the debate with a measurement of the filters side by side.

Hey,

Thanks for all your input suggestion on our filters.

Regarding your comment on " Freeewell is trying to put out a small fire with gasoline" , We have to say it is no fun for us as well as our clients to ship the product to them which are defective in nature & then we hear back from our client for return & refunds no company will gain anything by doing this.

As for "why not keep the filter in the shot and bring the two different camera bodies into frame" as you can read above my email to David we got this from Yuneec dealer I can only request them but I cannot demand , I will be addressing this issue in my next message.

Regarding our QC & rest your other points I will be making one message which will address everyone.

Thanks again.
Harry

Hey Everyone.

Sorry for all the trouble everyone had with this filter , We would like to address your concern.

In majority of cases such as DJI drone it is available for us to easily purchase in our location , So we make the purchase of these drone measure all the threading , gimbal tolerance etc & design the filter.

But for Yuneec drone it is not easily available we request our dealers who can provide us with the filter which comes with the drone in this case the adaptor which goes onto your E90 camera. So instead of installing the filter onto adaptor we decide to make the filter which can directly install in your camera.

We got the adapter from one of Yuneec Dealer in USA we sold several units to all the location Europe as well as USA everything was fine no complaint then suddenly for few sets we start hearing complaint from European only.

This complaint become even more once some of you got C23. When we start hearing this issue we stop the sales & some of you may notice for almost 30-45day's Yuneec filters were BACKORDER on our website.

This is because one of the Yuneec dealer in Europe was sending us a front frame of E90 to reconfirm if we are making the correct thread & as per the information which this dealer had E90 & C23 both will use the same filter so even he placed more then average order. So we start fresh design of filter based on this new frame.

After shipping these new set of filters we started getting complaints that they are not installing on C23 immediately whatever orders we had not shipped in our website we sent message to those if they were purchasing for C23 & cancelled them not only that at present we have completely stop sales of this product on our website.

We have checked every single filter set in our stock installing on the frame we got from European dealer we are more then happy to provide the video of all the filter kits in our stock , Whichever buyer we have asked to ship back the product we are going to install in this same frame & provide you with a video if it doesn't install we are going to cover even your shipping cost.

Infact this is the first every time we are asking anyone to ship back the product , If our product have defect our solution are usually replacement till today working with Freewell for almost 4 years now I have never ask anyone to ship back the product the reason we are asking some of them to send back as we want to try with frame we have in our hand.

Also one of the member here mention about USD 35 which many has taken as restocking fee it was a misunderstanding from his side , Freewell never has charged any restocking fee because we never ask anyone to ship back till today & we will not charge any restocking fee even on this whoever is shipping back the unit to us will get 100% refund even if you have lost package no problem just make sure filter is not damage.

We accept we have learnt our lesson & in future we are not going to make any filter if we do not own a drone or unless the information is coming from manufacture directly.

Regarding why will drone manufacture change the thread size we do not like to comment on that however I am located in China I can tell you one thing in China if something is PUBLIC MOLD it can be available with different raw material supplier with some tolerance in design as the European dealer who actually sent us the frame has no fun in lieing that he is able to install in E90 & not C23 & one of the member is confirming here he is not able to install the adaptor ring which he got inside his drone.

So for now we will not supply this filter even for E90 we are calling them END OF LIFE.

Thanks for everyone input I have read above which filters they would like to see in kit & we are definitely going to take this into consideration.

If you have any more concern pls write me directly on [email protected] .

Thanks
Harry From Freewell

Last edited:
Nice to see Freewell speaking for themselves here. Apparently they haven’t been able to figure out what’s happening either, but rather than experience more problems has stopped the product for now.

What be even nicer would be for Yuneec to step out of their cave and address this publicly. There’s got to be at least one CS tech that can measure a few cameras and speak up, even if they did so anonymously.

Reactions: thoneter
@Freewell good to see you step up and make an announcement as to how this happened and are taking steps to correct it. Your experience with Yuneec is well understood by those of us who own their product. I hope you can get a solution and bring back a filter set for the C23. I have one of your 'Bright Day' sets and the filters fit perfectly on my C23 and work as they should. I suspect going forward that the Typhoon H Plus will be a fairly popular platform and I am sure there will be a need for a good filter set.

As PatR said it looks like Yuneec as usual are the dicks on this one and it's the customers and Freewell that are suffering from their lack of communication.

As I've said before and will reiterate; Yuneec would be so much improved by getting together with a few learned fliers and getting their input instead of just pushing a product and then using us a beta testers after buying a product that was not well thought out!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
surmount13