Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!
This is why I hand catch (carefully) every time I can. With my last round of Compass/GPS issues and the toilet bowling it caused, it was all pilot skill and time behind sticks that got it down safely. The thing that helped the most though was the power button. For some reason when close enough to the ground this stopped any tendency to skate along the ground. So while I am a huge proponent of the hand grab and always have been, it’s good to practice an actual landing every once in awhile just so you’re ready when you need to use it. The power button landing is an awesome feature and everyone should get familiar with it so when it’s needed for whatever reason, you know what to expect.

The power button should be a last resort in my opinion or even hand catching ;) You may slice up your body!
When flying the most fundamental is learning to fly using the st16 controls, that's why they built the controller like it is. Practice, practice, practice, and more practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take off and landing can be difficult with any aircraft. If a landing doesn't feel right, immediately take it back up to 20' of so and try again. You have to train your mind to be prepared to abort a landing so you don't get sucked into a bad one.
You can also practice the red button landing. Another Use for the Start/Stop button.

Attachments

• TYPHOON H USER MANUAL Vcho10-15.pdf
    5.5 MB · Views: 5
I recently added carbon fiber props and will not hand catch with those on. I use the red button as the quasi auto land feature it presents now with these props. I’ve found being about 2’ off the ground seems low enough for a smooth landing with quick motor stop and no bounces. The props are great and I’m ordering more but will use the OEM props on any flights where tight spaces or uneven terrain dictate a hand catch. I can tell you from experience that in IPS mode the red button is a kill switch that drops the 480 and nothing gentle there...

Reactions: Steve Carr
I can tell you from experience that in IPS mode the red button is a kill switch that drops the 480 and nothing gentle there...
Good information there. I did not know there was an adverse relation to IPS and the kill button.

If you can stop the descent 2’ above the ground there’s very few reasons a soft, slow, controlled descent to the ground using throttle won’t provide a great landing if the fingers are trained to execute it.

True enough. There are, however, people who have a great deal of difficulty landing without applying yaw. A flight or two dedicated to just landing practice helps immensely with said finger training. There are also times where a landing site has a slope and the H delays it's response to Big Red. Kill button landings are just another tool in the box when you need it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apalomba