Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H920 replacement battery

It appears Zippy makes three different batteries that can fit in a 920 in 4000ma, 4500ma, and 5000ma. All are 25c or greater. Only two can be fit at a time. The battery plug must be changed out or adapters made to use them.

On battery options, I found the following... do any of these help?
All found on eBay, I'll hold off the links unless useful.
The one I based on was the Tattu 4000mAh 22.2v 15C 6S1P with a size of 50x43x138mm that is listed as a H920 battery but most likely not available in USA.
(Although I did find shop in FL that carries many Tattu batteries and I've sent him a note)

Not visually seeing or measuring the H920's battery chamber, I don't know the tolerances.

1) 4000mAh 22.2v 25C 6S 42x45x136mm $64
2) 4000mAh 22.2v 30C 6S 55.9x43x135mm $129
3) 4000mAh 22.2v 35C/70C 6S1P 49x39x153mm $82
4) 4000mAh 22.2v 65C/90C 6S 48x47x138mm $84
5) 4000mAh 22.2v 60C/120C 6S1P 10AWG Wire 50x48x145mm $85

On UK orders, what are the current regs to ship LiPo batteries? Or would weight make it not practical either way?

Last edited:
It’s not the weight, but the watt hours that can bite ya. The 920 requires 8000mA and two batteries to fly, so battery dimensions are real important. C rating should be at least 15. Anything over 30C is wasted and extra weight. The low 8C rating of the Yuneec batteries is what’s causing problems now. A little help for your dimensions. The floor and ceiling of the battery bay are quite flexible, with the only "hard" dimensions critical being the entrance, corners, and end. The 1 mm top and bottom battery separator can be deflected up and down a considerable amount.

Battery Bay.gif
H920 Battery Bay_2.JPG
H920 Battery Array_1.JPG

Last edited:
I agree with the waste if over 30C, but waste of not fully reaching max load of current rating isn’t a negative if weight isn’t excessive and cost is less than OEM. I’ll need to look at the weights but their weight didn’t jump out as a concern when comparing to the Tattu battery that’s listed as a direct H920 battery replacement. Seeing the battery tray dimension’s is confusing for the Tattu battery since it’s 50x43x138... it would appear it’s 1mm too high unless published specs are a bit loose.

I was primarily looking at the #3 Battery for price & dimensions (H / W) being less than Tattu. The 35C looked acceptable; the burst of 70C didn’t have much worth. Just checked the weight for #3, listed at 630g including wires & connectors.

Pat, rereading your dimensions as soft, I had miss-read as hard dimensions. I can see how the Tattu can now fit.

Question, if the #3 was applied, enables mounting 2 or 3 similar to the OEM batteries. Isn’t that hitting the goal, 2x4000 or 3x4000 with 35C ?

The #3 is an eBay listed unit... I have no knowledge of the quality. Mainly searching dimensions with 30C and nice price.
TURNIGY NANO-TECH 4000mAh 6S 22.2V 35C 70C LIPO BATTERY HXT 4MM HELI PLANE TRUCK | eBay

Added - lower cost site
Turnigy nano-tech 4000mAh 6S 35~70C Lipo Pack w/XT-60

Last edited:
You are correct, if you can obtain the Tattu batteries inside the U.S. You have my interest piqued with the Turnigy revelation, especially as the stock Yuneec battery dimensions at 170x45x39mm. If three Turnigy's won't fit the next closest alternative is a pair of 5000mA Zippy batteries.

I have a Turnigy 8000mA graphene en route. What I have read is the flight time from this single battery is exceeding the flight time of a pair of Yuneec batteries. If 18 to 22 minutes can be had from a single $65.00 battery it's an attractive option. It's real easy to receive an early voltage warning when flying aggressively using a pair of Yuneec batteries. I have not read of this happening with the graphene.

All this battery talk is exciting in a way. Just a few months ago many in various forums were lamenting the poor quality of the Yuneec batteries while others were bemoaning the Tattu's weren't available in the U.S. That was actually holding back my purchase of the 920 but more research, which continues even now, indicated the battery situation was not nearly as dire as many made it appear. A little investigation and perhaps some creativity was required but battery supply is not a good reason to avoid a 920. BTW, the reason for my not buying an original 920 was availability. I don't know that any new ones still are through dealers. Most sent what they had back to Yuneec for conversion. However, I have no regrets with the 920+, with the exception of Vertigo cutting $700.00 from their price a week after I bought mine, and Yuneec following suit with their other dealers (where I bought mine) a week after that....

This may be the graphene 8000mA you’re looking at? Has good measurements too, height is good to where you wouldn’t have to trim the separation rails in chamber. Not familure with Graphene, doing little reading on it tonight. Sounds like a great solution and less than two 4K.
TURNIGY GRAPHENE PRO 8000mAh 6S 22.2V 15C 30C LIPO BATTERY XT90 DJI QUAD MULTI | eBay
If the 8k was on pigtail using 2 bays ports, can a 4K be added on 3rd port... and would it need to match as a graphene?
Question on clarification of chamber... indicate 3 sections of 43, and width 95.. is one off? I was attempting to see if the graphene 4K would fit along side the 8k.

On H920... here’s a new (920, not Plus) one with all the extras in case except for camera... that you already have. $1700. Although, the picture is off, that’s doesn’t look like a 920.

Yuneec H920 Professional Drone with ST 24 Controller and shipping Hard Case | eBay

Since I have a 920+ and a bunch of other multirotors I certainly don't need another 920 at the moment, even if it is the original version with the ST-24. To really make full use of the original system I'd need either another ST-24 or an ST-12 to use Team Mode. For me it's not worth $1700.00 for a few more camera controls and I can't fly but one at a time;)

If you are looking at this one as a possible buy I can only say that personally, I avoid eBay like the plague. Note the seller states "Full warranty" and does not accept returns. If you buy from this seller there is absolutely no warranty at all as Yuneec only lists one seller on eBay where they provide a warranty and this seller is not the one. If it's not perfect you will be on your own for correction with what would be for you a brand new bird. I don't understand why it's being sold without the camera and gimbal as the most common packages had them. Might be the seller decided they liked using the Proaction and CGO-4 with their cell phone and elected to keep it. It does work quite well, btw. There are some great deals on used 920's at the Facebook 920 Owners Group (CarolinaDronz is an Admin there) that are worth looking at, some of them loaded up with extra batteries and additional cameras and gimbals. If they weren't crashed and are functioning correctly that would be where I would buy if I elected not to go through a dealer. I like dealers because they are the people that manage to always get through to the manufacturer, and the manufacturers seem to make their dealers happy before they make individual customers happy. I haven't done business with Vertigo Drones but I have with CarolinaDronz and Terrestrial Imaging and both have been very, very good in taking care of their customers. So that's where I buy Yuneec drones.

22.2v 15C 8k Graphene, closer to price you indicated.
That is a great price if run time & performance outperform a pair of 4K.
Turnigy Graphene Professional 8000mAh 6S 15C LiPo Pack w/XT90

That's the one, I "ball parked" the price in my previous post.

"If the 8k was on pigtail using 2 bays ports, can a 4K be added on 3rd port... and would it need to match as a graphene?"

Always match battery types when using batteries in parallel. It's virtually certain a 4k battery could not be fit along side the 8k graphene anyway.

"Question on clarification of chamber... indicate 3 sections of 43, and width 95.. is one off? I was attempting to see if the graphene 4K would fit along side the 8k."

I had to use a snap gauge to obtain inside dimensions. it's quite possible the snap gauge had enough spring pressure to deflect the top and bottom plates a little bit. The divider rails extend about 1mm above and below the top and bottom plates so the inside dimension allowing for divider rail height reduction is prolly closer to 45mm instead of 43mm.

In any event, the battery bay is akin to a hard frame with very flexible top and bottom plates. If a battery will pass through the entry opening it will fit as the top and bottom plates will deflect up and down a little as a battery is inserted, but a battery cannot be of larger dimension that the entry opening frame. There is an "unless" as the lower portion of the entry frame could be sanded down about 1mm. I'm not desperate enough for a couple more minutes of flight time to do that yet. Somewhere down the line I might create a new battery bay that would seriously modify the existing opening. There's room to open up the bottom and not interfere with the structural rigidity or disturb the gimbal mounts.

Anyone that has built heavy lift multirotors will see this frame offers a lot of options for modifications if such was desired. It's not a single use design and has many opportunities for someone inclined to tinker. It's already very weather resistant and a strip of rubberized tape would shield all the critical electronics from the weather. One thing it is not is a "consumer drone". It's for people that already know what they are doing, that take things seriously. As it stands it appears to be set up having somewhere in the area of a 30lb lift capability with the motors it has. The only things that would prevent that in current configuration are ESC ratings, power supply wire and connector sizing, battery C rating, and board input voltage limitations. We know the stock batteries don't have the necessary C rating and that power connectors are limited to ~30A or so each. Since it's a 22v system the board input is just fine.

Last edited:
Re the H920 eBay link. Not the one I'm fixated on, just a quick search for new non-upgrd 920 incase you wanted to add another to the stable. I fully concure that warranty is null & useless from this Seller. I'm focused on a new but pre-owned unit with zero warranty; with an agreed period to examine & return if not accurate description. But on that subject, I think with the "purchased" Yuneec extended care offering, you can submit a request to purchase and Yuneec may accept based on various conditions (proof of date purchased, photos of bird, etc). That indirectly provides warranty and accidental damage.

BTW... on that eBay link. Did that even look like a H920? GPS tower too tall, and it appeared round not oval. May have been angle of photo.

Pat, on the battery connections if you utilize the 8K Graphene. You planning to convert battery down down to the EC5 or change the H920 to XT90? Even the 4K's use the XT60.

Look in the Thinking of Buying a 920 thread. You’ll see I’ve already made, and used, split adaptors for EC5 and XT60 to EC3. They work fine. I’ve ordered some XT90 plugs to make a split adapter to EC3. I’ve already got charge plugs for almost everything.

Battery Update

The Turnigy 6S, 15C, 8000mA battery arrived from HobbyKing today and since some like "unboxing" (ugh!) stuff I shot some cell phone pics covering the high points. It comes double boxed and well protected, even down to being sheathed in a nice little drawstring pouch inside the fitted foam in the box. At least they treat it like royalty for the shipping and handling process. That's as good as T-Motor does for their propellers, and just a little better than Tattu does with their batteries.

It does fit the 920 battery well, but it's a very tight fit. Actual battery dimensions are: 167 x 49.32 x 68.26mm, weight: 1162.5g. Scale accuracy +/- 0.1 gram. The power lead is 131mm long. The weight is more than the average weight of a pair of Yuneec 4000mA batteries, which comes in at 979.88g when averaged across 7 batteries, and less than a Yuneec 4000mA three battery installation that comes in at 1473.9g when averaged across 7 Yuneec batteries. The addition of a multi plug pig tail will add a little bit of weight but still be well under the weight of three Yuneec batteries.

The outer wrapper on this battery is really thick at 0.87mm. I'm not making a suggestion but anyone that desired an extra 1.7mm of clearance could remove the outer wrapper and use some clear packing tape to wrap the battery with. Noting the orange plastic wrap at each end I made a short slice in the center of the outer wrapper using an Exacto blade and noted the battery wrap underneath the thick outer wrapper was white, not orange as is seen at the ends. This might suggest the orange end wrapper is a false "partial" cover and only present for appearance. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to remove the thick outer cover or not.

I did plug the battery bay with a shop towel to keep it free of debris when using a Dremel tool to remove a small amount of the lower frame opening at the 920's battery bay. Perhaps 1mm or so. I used a flat sanding block to even it out after the Dremel work. This allowed the battery to slide in and out of the bay easier. It's still pretty snug, uses up most of the battery bay width, and allows the outer door to close.

I have not charged or flown it yet, with weather calling for rain over the next couple of days, so allow me time for a couple of flights to see how it does. Day time temperatures here are still pretty reasonable, running from 50*F to 65*F (10C-18C) so low ambient temps will not negatively impact battery performance.

Attachments

• Graphene_1.JPG
    Graphene_1.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 44
  • Graphene_2.JPG
    Graphene_2.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 51
  • Graphene_3.JPG
    Graphene_3.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 54
  • Graphene_4.JPG
    Graphene_4.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 46
  • Graphene_5.JPG
    Graphene_5.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Reactions: thoneter
Found another 4K that’s a better fit (narrower & lighter) than previous 4K to run 2-3 batteries and still a good current discharge rated at 25C. Size 163x49x39 compared to Yuneec OEM 170x45x39. Maintaining the 39mm width insures 3 batteries if desired. Need to add terminal converters or make your own. At $40 per, you could get 3 for price of 1 OEM.

4K 25c 6s Battery @ $40
Turnigy nano-tech 4000mah 6S 25~50C Lipo Pack
Terminal converters @ $4.15
HXT4mm to EC3 Battery Adapter (2pcs/bag)
Not sure if above convertor can fit vertically in bay, not as flexible as a pigtail lead.
Might need an extension @ $3.40
EC3 Extension Wire 16AWG 10cm

Better yet... a pigtail convertor @ Amazon $15 for 5 pal
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DXF14J...t=&hvlocphy=9017769&hvtargid=pla-368672256670

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aimal khan