Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How to hand catch your Typhoon - learn the skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually take off from a location that is level and no tall grass or obstructions, therefore there is no reason I can't land from where I took off! In other words, we don't hand launch, so why hand catch?. I can land just fine on the hull of my small boat.
I believe in keeping the extremities the Good Lord provided for me as long as possible!;) But they are yours to do as you please with ! LOL !:eek:

Make sure your membership dues for the Darwin club are up to date.

I have always hand caught all of my craft at sometime for whatever reason, just please be mindful and extra cautious on blustery windy days, because the craft can become unstable in altitude and hold position in these conditions, I have in the past been forced to land on the ground in the lee shelter of a large bush because it was just to dangerous to hand catch where strong wind gust come up from nowhere, always put safety first.

Hand catching....unless absolutely necessary, which means almost never, is not a good practice to get into. Heard the stories...."ya I've been doing it forever" before from others. Much better to keep away where its much less likely to fly in your face or fingers. These thing can be extremely twitchy and quick if the flight controller decides to do whatever, way outside of the parameters that you can input with your controllers.
I also fly large hexas where you wouldn't even think of getting close, so mabey that influences me. Anyway, just my 2 cents

Reactions: abinder
I usually take off from a location that is level and no tall grass or obstructions, therefore there is no reason I can't land from where I took off! In other words, we don't hand launch, so why hand catch?. I can land just fine on the hull of my small boat.
I believe in keeping the extremities the Good Lord provided for me as long as possible!;) But they are yours to do as you please with ! LOL !:eek:
Haha... knock on wood, I've not had an issue. I've been flying for so long that I'm extremely comfortable around drones. I don't think I've landed a drone in the past two years (always catch). I was going to add the hand launch to the video but that could be an issue for nervous people.

Interesting. I saw a recent video shoot at a sheer but very scenic mountain location in South America. The "pilot" had to hand catch his filming drone at times, a P4, while hanging on the side of the cliff. No place to land it. Awesome video.

another catch the drone post , if you like to play catch the drone it's OK but please don't post a video and say " i have been doing it for years " . a newbie mite just try it out and just maybe loose a finger or two . now this is just my option and i don't want to offend anyone .
fly safe and use your fingers for other things .

Reactions: abinder
another catch the drone post , if you like to play catch the drone it's OK but please don't post a video and say " i have been doing it for years " . a newbie mite just try it out and just maybe loose a finger or two . now this is just my option and i don't want to offend anyone .
fly safe and use your fingers for other things .

I live in Canada and received my first drone (a Phantom 2) in the winter months. Went out flying in a field of soft snow. Take off, no problem with the drone sitting on a stick. Landing, no luck, so without knowing people catch drones, I just caught it and have been doing it ever since.

I guess, like anything, if you're not comfortable doing it then don't try it. I will say, as an experienced drone pilot, it is a nice skill to have. I've read too many posts on this forum of people crashing their Typhoon upon landing (wind, toilet bowl, trees, etc). If you have a look at some of the videos on my channel, there is no way I could take off and land in some of those locations for many reasons so it was all launch and catch by hand.

Just sharing in case there are others out there that were thinking of trying this. In the DJI world, it's so very common, but not so common in the Yuneec world.... yet! :)

Reactions: Rayray
Interesting. I saw a recent video shoot at a sheer but very scenic mountain location in South America. The "pilot" had to hand catch his filming drone at times, a P4, while hanging on the side of the cliff. No place to land it. Awesome video.
Love it! But I wonder if the pilots hands were shaking or it was just crazy windy because that drone is having trouble staying aimed at one spot.

I live in Canada and received my first drone (a Phantom 2) in the winter months. Went out flying in a field of soft snow. Take off, no problem with the drone sitting on a stick. Landing, no luck, so without knowing people catch drones, I just caught it and have been doing it ever since.

I guess, like anything, if you're not comfortable doing it then don't try it. I will say, as an experienced drone pilot, it is a nice skill to have. I've read too many posts on this forum of people crashing their Typhoon upon landing (wind, toilet bowl, trees, etc). If you have a look at some of the videos on my channel, there is no way I could take off and land in some of those locations for many reasons so it was all launch and catch by hand.

Just sharing in case there are others out there that were thinking of trying this. In the DJI world, it's so very common, but not so common in the Yuneec world.... yet! :)
Hey CD...I'm a fellow Canuck and was in the same boat as you...I received mine at the end of December and had my first flight Jan. 9th...I started catching it because at the time the Q's were bouncing a lot when landing...first 40 flights or so I caught it...once I updated the firmware a lot of the bounce came out...I will still catch it depending on the conditions

Have never caught a drone on landing. Even as badly balanced as the P4 is, I just refuse to do it, but would to prevent it from damage.

Hey CD...I'm a fellow Canuck and was in the same boat as you...I received mine at the end of December and had my first flight Jan. 9th...I started catching it because at the time the Q's were bouncing a lot when landing...first 40 flights or so I caught it...once I updated the firmware a lot of the bounce came out...I will still catch it depending on the conditions
Hey brother! I'm looking forward to see how the Typhoon handles in the crazy winter months.

Hand catching is a personal preference some just think it's crazy and other like me do it just about every time with P2 and P3 but only when landing near dirt, and sand with the H. I keep craft above me never eye level.

250 hand catches and counting. Not a single problem. When done properly it is no problem... It does require technique, strategy and an understanding of how your AC works.

I never put mine on the ground

I've caught them, but found landing them to be a lot safer. I've flown RC for close to 50 years and have hand caught my share of slope gliders but have a serious aversion to trying to catch things that use spinning blades for propulsion. With some of what I fly, it would only take the first mistake to cause severe injury, or worse. Safety is about risk prevention, not encouragement.

Back in the day we didn't have no fancy flying machines we threw sticks in the air and drew pictures of what we thought the sticks would've seen. Now hand catching those sticks was a very dangerous thing but not near as dangerous as when we first started out with bricks! Catching bricks was a whole different story. Please don't anybody go out and start catching bricks, it's not a responsible thing to do!

Reactions: robcooper2001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval