Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New Drone, new camera? ION L1 Pro For Yuneec H3

And CGO-4.

Opps, my error, the CGO-4 is a 16mpx Sony 1” m4/3 optical zoom, adjustable aperture in a Lumix environment.

........If DJI was to provide a similar controller for the Mavic (or Inspire) it would be more attractive........

I’ve got the M2P with Smart Controller. It’s pretty sweet.

Reactions: rdonson
Mavic 2 Pro actually if we want to do a 20mpx comparison. Kit prices run from $1,705 to $2,100 via Amazon. All the kits provide a lot more for the money than the H3 kit.

I haven’t commented on this new bird yet.....I’m still trying to figure out just who this new offering is for. I’m guessing it’s aimed at the Mavic 2 Pro buyer.....as they’ve also positioned the Mantis G to appeal to the Mavic Air buyer. I’m sure this new camera has as much “Leica” in it as the L1D-20C has “Hasselblad” in it too.

I’ll go on to say I have yet to be impressed with the Hasselblad though.

I am. I really like it. I’ve been using mine for a month now and I’ve learned how to get the best out of it with stills. The sweet spot is f/4 to f/5.6 and it has a great hyperfocal distance. I use the high quality setting which slightly crops the outer edges of the sensor, and post process the dings it generates. The HCNS system provides a great baseline to start with. I can lock down ISO at 100 and also lock the autofocus system as well. Polar Pro has some absolutely stellar filter sets (for a steep price) and they’re bang on. I’ve been creating some really great images.

Video wise I’m still experimenting. I’m shooting in Dlog-M and trying different LUT’s.....video is still not my strong suit, but so far I’m getting brilliant results.

Reactions: PatR and Dougcjohn
As for your reply about cell phone support, Apple just recently discontinued support for the iPhone 6 (everything newer still receives support), and Samsung just recently announced no further sorry for the Galaxy S6 & Galaxy Note 5 (again, everything newer still receives support). Typical "length of support" in the tech industry is a minimum of 3 years, with most providing 4-5 years, and some providing as much as 7 years (Microsoft & Apple, for example, both tend to fall into this last category).
For iPhone, the iphone 6 & 6Plus were "discontinued" officially Sep 7, 2017 as hardware sales, and no longer "supported" for new release of iOS beginnig with iOS13. But even still, it continues to be supported with repair service, screen & battery. Same with Samsung, they loose OS support eventually but continue to receive service or repair support by Manufacture til inventory dry then 3rd party Service & parts.

The iPhone 6 (and older) continues to function fine, still cellular operational and can obtain apps from the App store but is limited to iOS12. I have an iTouch that is capped at iOS 8 or something, and it continues to receive updated Apps. Have an iMac27, i7, 32MB, 3K screen, 4TB internal SSD (2 drives)... capped at High Sierra, continues to get updates and runs great... even better than the newer iMac limited to the i5 CPU (iMac Pro i7 & i9). Same with a field Macbook Pro15 & 17. All discontinued, all still serviceable, and all still able to obtain updates except newest OS. Don't require 4 / 5K screens to "edit" 4K footage.

The age of 5-7 yrs used to be business norm to cycle PC core wk-staions and servers, that later become a ridiculous 3 yrs on many hardware: $100k Switches, $200k SSD NAS, downward to including Wk-Staions. Dropping their OS or Technical support doesn't mean product is unreliable, just means no longer profitable.

They'll continue to operate, able to update some programs and serve well beyound offical support. The Y2K scare was based on OS & DB designs being replaced long before 2000, but companies at that time didn't cycle hardware just because an arbitrary number of years. Many mainframes & mini's continue to operate that were expected to be replaced years ago... several 3rd party companies have a healthy income providing components for discontinued hardware.

The WinXP died what... 3-4 yrs ago? Most anti-virus, malware tools will continue to install and update on WinXP. They still run the Non-cloud based "pay once" OS, and perpetual licensing programs... they don't support the yearly renewal products with a never ending cost. Wanna guess what drove the EOL factor the most on the above hardware, it wasn't 8 to 32 to 64 bit OS... it's called profit!

How many still run Photoshop CS6 or the "Real" Lightroom classic 6.xx? Zero cost, still runs great, and the Raw programs are still upgradable. I do... zero cost and every new Photography SW program: Lumina, OnOne, Topaz, etc continue to prompt and install plugins.

So it's not simply a Manufactured End of life, discontinued issue... more of the ability to continue to repair, operate, update and obtain new components or apps.

That's been a problem with Yuneec on some products barely out the gate and several just a few years old. Development stops internally and not shared or encouraged externally. Someone above mentioned Inspire or Phantom... you can still get components, even 3rd Party sensors, software, etc for these easily... the Inspire 1 is the oldest Professional "Consumer sold" craft and can mount the newest Ag Multispectral camera, 3rd Party Specialty sensors and run the latest Autonomous programs, and still mount MFT 4K camera with newly released 3rd party lenses... dispite being Officially discontinued a few years ago.

That's the difference: continuation and availability of service life reciprocate into endurance and support by consumers... and professionals. Again, something Yuneec needs to adapt and prove to consumers.

Lastly, the new Lica Camera... what's the major selling point? Not adjustable Aperture, high EVO, Interchagable Lens, Mechanical Zoom Lens, larger MFT sensor... so a mild improvement "maybe" to existing on H Plus?

Agree with @Fred Garvin the H3 is probably targeted to complete with the M2P. It may be in same ballpark for Photography... but the other trends are compact size and sensors, not within the H3 scope.

Fred, how do you like the Smart controller? Are you using the 1 controller on just 1 Mavic2 or intend to add crafts? Mainly the screen is my question... size and brightness?

Lastly, the new Lica Camera... what's the major selling point? Not adjustable Aperture, high EVO, Interchagable Lens, Mechanical Zoom Lens, larger MFT sensor... so a mild improvement "maybe" to existing on H Plus?

Of all the things Yuneec is claiming about the new camera. . . . .

• 1” CMOS sensor, 20 MP, up to 4K @ 60 FPS, up to 100Mbit
  • Integrated 3-axis gimbal with unrestricted 360° view
  • Leica optimized and calibrated image modes (AWB, color reproduction, sharpening, de-noising, etc.)
  • Leica calibrated DNG with corresponding ADOBE profile
  • Lossless digital zoom
  • 10-bit YLog video mode based on Leica specifications
  • Semi-automatic ISO/shutter & 1/3 step setting of EV/ISO/shutter
  • Wide Dynamic Range (WDR)
  • Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB)
  • Short JPEG intervals for hyperlapse videos
  • User-defined picture mode & sharpness settings
  • Professional histogram
  • Panorama shots
. . . . The ones that stand out to me, (but remain to seen if there is truly a noticeable improvement) would be the 10 bit Ylog, Wide Dynamic Range (not HDR?), Auto Exposure Bracketing and possibly user defined picture mode and sharpness settings.

I may be the only one thinking this but I think because the Mavic and Typhoon platforms are sooo different, they're not really in competition with each other. One is a compact, carry along minimal type of platform while the other is a much larger hexacopter with retractable gear and a 360 gimbal/camera. Certainly the cameras are vying for the top spot but I think most consumers see the layout, or type of platform as much as, if not more of a deciding factor. No?

And in that respect I think the real competition for the H3 is it's older brothers from a different mother, the H Plus and 520. One thing is for sure if a perspective buyer who does not own a drone and is in the market goes for an H3, that is for sure taking a sale from either a Plus, 520 or possibly a 480. Those who own mutiple types of drone are more likely to have a diverse lineup. My self I have considered the MP2 for some time and still may get one but I would not get a 520 or second Plus or even an H3 without selling my current aircraft.

I may be the only one thinking this but I think because the Mavic and Typhoon platforms are sooo different, they're not really in competition with each other. One is a compact, carry along minimal type of platform while the other is a much larger hexacopter with retractable gear and a 360 gimbal/camera. Certainly the cameras are vying for the top spot but I think most consumers see the layout, or type of platform as much as, if not more of a deciding factor. No?

And in that respect I think the real competition for the H3 is it's older brothers from a different mother, the H Plus and 520. One thing is for sure if a perspective buyer who does not own a drone and is in the market goes for an H3, that is for sure taking a sale from either a Plus, 520 or possibly a 480. Those who own mutiple types of drone are more likely to have a diverse lineup. My self I have considered the MP2 for some time and still may get one but I would not get a 520 or second Plus or even an H3 without selling my current aircraft.
I would agree, it's competing primarily within it's own product line.... and that's a little sad, feeding on itself.

I'm the same, purchased a H520 with the attitude... and hopeful, that it would continue to be developed both internally and externally. The addition of the H520 to a few Mapping and Ag products, and the possibility to use Thermal encouraged me to support the Yuneec line one more time.

I'll add product over time, but no intention to add another Yuneec platform without selling an existing unit.

Externally, it'd be the M2P or M2Z.... or even the Autel EVO, Anafi or Anafi-T. The Anafi has a nice camera for the bang. But the compactness to the consumer or 1st time buyer will win.

In my travels to various cities, I'll pop into a BestBuy, Hobby or electronics store for self... hopeful to find a treasure at a price I can steal. Over the last 2 years, in comparison to previous stocked product, the Yuneeec product is not displayed to Sale... either not displayed, tucked displayed, almost needing to look with intention. Actually, the Drone inventory in stores appears to be taking a hit... it's not as prominent as last year... news media may have an effect.

To me, a better strategy would to offer the Lica camera to the H-Plus platform, and even a few more... a rolling shutter camera, a interchangeable lens camera, etc.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
You hit the nail. They already had the base platform with the Plus, just improve the firmware and add payloads. Instead they came out with an H3, using the same gimbal mount as they’ve been using since the H-480. In the world of “added value” I just can’t find any consumer logic for the H3. Plenty there for customer fleecing, but little for customer purchase justification.

If having to buy a new drone every time a new widget or firmware change is required, better logic would be to buy a higher end base platform that allows payload versatility. Cheaper, and safer, in the long run.

......Fred, how do you like the Smart controller? Are you using the 1 controller on just 1 Mavic2 or intend to add crafts? Mainly the screen is my question... size and brightness?

Its about an inch less than my iPhone XS Max in landscape mode width, same height. I can certainly see it in bright sun, but it doesn’t compete with a 7.85 UB CrystalSky. It’s WAY brighter than an iPhone/iPad and even the ST16’s. I like it. DJI hit the mark with this one. Just 1 bird for now.

.....My self I have considered the MP2 for some time and still may get one but I would not get a 520 or second Plus or even an H3 without selling my current aircraft.......

Get one. It’s a brilliant aircraft. The OcuSync communication system absolutely blows Yuneec out of the water in maintaining a signal connection. It’s quiet, solid, responsive.....I’m really enjoying flying it. I would only get an H3 if I sold my 480 & H+ kits as well to fund it.

YUNEEC - IF YOU'RE READING: I’ll trade my 480 kit and H+ kit for an H3. I’ll fly it both recreationally and professionally, and provide an honest, detailed feedback review of the new system in use, in both roles. I can compare/contrast with the Mavic 2 Pro and the Inspire 2 X5S system......if you’re up for the challenge.

. . . . The ones that stand out to me, (but remain to seen if there is truly a noticeable improvement) would be the 10 bit Ylog........

I see this as more of a “join the club” addition. Everyone is rolling out h.265 now and calling it (whatever)log. Other manufacturers are way ahead with massive LUT support and 3rd party support.

Its interesting all the negativity from the existing user base on on this but not surprising as Yuneec are not really catering for you guys sadly , tbh I think it’s looking really interesting craft my self.

Okay the birds is seeing minimal changes however the camera is very interesting, ground breaking no and as mentioned would have been good to have seen MFT size sensor but 1” does a really strong job tbh and the differences are only noticeable for pixel peeping and those who want interchangeable lenses.

I would have liked to see a mechanical shutter in there but very few are producing that whole lens package anyways and its probably out of their reach somewhat. I think the tie in with Leica is good move as the reality is all of the drones can take amazing images in the right hands but baking in pre tuned colour profiles that normal users will be able to just point and shoot means they will get great results and feel satisfied with their purchase with out having to do that computer thing.

A Raw image gives so much more latitude in post but show it to a new user and he will think his camera is broke, there is a reason the iPhone and some of the Android phone camera images look better than a a DSLR at times as the image is massively processed to give a pleasing result and I think that’s what Yuneec are trying to do here, get a recognised brand name in the marketing and hopefully deliver some great output for normal users with out them having to learn grading or LR.

The battery thing really is non issue on all of them. I see posts daily on all the brands that people say their battery has fallen out even on craft where it’s on the top, it can only be poor to non existent pre flight checks in most cases. The H battery locks in solid as long as you do lock it in.

Overall I think it’s a solid release for new Yuneec customers, I don’t think they are trying to cater to existing users at all these days. They don’t have the same accessory and ecosystem that DJI have for instance so they are more reliant on new users than them existing user base driving sales.

I’m looking forward to trying this camera and seeing what it can do as the rest of the craft should be as solid as the H Plus is and with the great camera controls on the ST16 it gives tons on options.

Only real downside is it’s a tad pricey but then tbh it’s to be expected.

I’m hoping it’s at the London Commercial Drone Show this year and will have a chat with Dan and the UK guys and try and have a proper play.

Only speculation based on past releases. Yuneec does not set a date, rather a new product just shows up somewhere and no one can actually tell you what the actual release date was. Typically we will see it in Europe first, then if everything goes as normal we will see it hit the first stores here in the states about a month later.

Reactions: Adamg1180
Only speculation based on past releases. Yuneec does not set a date, rather a new product just shows up somewhere and no one can actually tell you what the actual release date was. Typically we will see it in Europe first, then if everything goes as normal we will see it hit the first stores here in the states about a month later.
Thanks, thats kinda what I figured.
Would make an awesome Christmas present.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
All this speculation seems to be a good marketing tool, especially, if it is stirring conversation like it is on this forum, elsewhere. Yuneec has always lacked in the marketing area. It would be awesome if the eventual release brings out a platform that exceeds expectations. What a shot in the arm that would be!

Last edited:
If history serves as a guide, plan for a very delayed Christmas.

When Yuneec debuted the H they set a late February through March 2016 release period. Without knowing exactly why the actual release ended up mid May 2016.

The H Plus did a little better, with Yuneec making a statement at CES it would be released end of first or during second quarter that year. The actual release occurred a little after the second quarter. We’re still awaiting the corresponding release of the E-50 camera for the Plus and E-90 for the H-480 that were mentioned during the H Plus CES revelations. As Yuneec always drops the ball I would not anticipate the H3 to hit the streets before March, 2020. Surprises can happen though.

The camera thing could be worse though. It could be as bad as Autel’s mention of a 1” sensor camera for the Evo almost 3 years ago. Might figure that one is dead.

As for the H-480, it’s been over three years since that release and it’s time to move on. Battery availability is a pretty fair indication a product is on the wane with companies that mandate proprietary batteries. When they start getting hard to find we should start thinking about obtaining replacement parts that are commonly broken if we want to keep flying older products.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adamg1180
Yuneec's existing cameras still provide images acceptable for use in most applications. I don't believe real estate customers are clamoring for higher megapixels they just are not needed at this point. Unless an image is going to be blown up for a billboard anything over 14 megapixels just are not needed at all. My brother has a Sony 35 megapixel camera for his commercial work just because he is rolling in cash. Is that needed ...No. However, as he shoots for rock bands that are savvy on tech it placates them. I guess a few may drone for rock bands, but not so much. New buyers are going to want the latest no matter if it is needed.

An issue may be in attracting new buyers. Obtaining them requires an elevated level of advertising containing something that excites and entices them to buy. As mentioned by others, Yuneec tends to feed upon it’s current or former customer base and does little to attract new blood.

Having just a Facebook page as an advertising medium won’t get that job done.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
netnetweb