Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New Drone, new camera? ION L1 Pro For Yuneec H3

This new sub-forum is just getting started... ?

The only thread for now, but that will change soon enough. I think many (myself included) are in a holding pattern... historically there has been an average 5-6 month timeframe from the announcement of a new Yuneec model to actually being available for purchase.

This thread started 10 days ago and the corporate interview quotes an availability target of the end of October. So that would be an amazingly short wait period, if it happens. Certainly even with delays, they will make sure to have retail stock in place, for the start of the holiday shopping season.

As several have already mentioned, the true test will be availability of all standard wear and tear items such as batteries, in addition to basic accessories... a short list would be:

Basic repair parts

ND filters

Third-party charging cables... or better yet, for this high end airframe... how about admitting the shortcomings of your "standard" charger and stepping it up?

Compatibility issues checked and documented, for example based on the H Plus history...
specific microSD cards to use (or stay away from).

Reactions: Fred Garvin
3rd party support.....like AirData logging....as easy as it is for DJI equipment......

This new sub-forum is just getting started... ?

The only thread for now, but that will change soon enough. I think many (myself included) are in a holding pattern... historically there has been an average 5-6 month timeframe from the announcement of a new Yuneec model to actually being available for purchase.

This thread started 10 days ago and the corporate interview quotes an availability target of the end of October. So that would be an amazingly short wait period, if it happens. Certainly even with delays, they will make sure to have retail stock in place, for the start of the holiday shopping season.

As several have already mentioned, the true test will be availability of all standard wear and tear items such as batteries, in addition to basic accessories... a short list would be:

Basic repair parts

ND filters

Third-party charging cables... or better yet, for this high end airframe... how about admitting the shortcomings of your "standard" charger and stepping it up?

Compatibility issues checked and documented, for example based on the H Plus history...
specific microSD cards to use (or stay away from).
First set of issues will be sorted in first firmware update. Then the Camera issues in next etc etc. But let's hope not!

So you when you lose video it's only for a short period of time a few seconds not like up-to 2 minutes before you get a picture back on the screen?

Sorry I missed this......yes, I tend to keep it close, within 1500’.....so the drops are momentary as I quickly reposition myself or I give it a quick jam on the left stick to gain enough altitude to regain connection. Normally. The signal loss can happen very suddenly, even when the bird is well within the distance you’d expect to have a solid connection. It just doesn’t “feel” like it has a very strong, reliable connection.

A few times I’ve had a rather strange, and disturbing disconnect......once I was in the backyard of a property, the bird was out front, across the street, and I was making a 30 second clip, drifting south to north, of the front of the house. At the very end of the clip, I went to stop it, and the bird just kept going. I had video, but no stick control. The 2.4 signal was red. It continued on out of my sight. I ran to the front yard and regained sight and 2.4 signal control, but during that disconnect the bird traveled 2 houses on down the street. Thankfully there were no trees or anything.

Same thing happened filming a storage property. I was at the NE corner of the property, the bird at 150’ doing a 30 second slide clip of the property, from NE to NW corner. I lost both video and stick. It was barely 900’ away and I watched it just keep going. I ran around through the front gate and down the line between units until I could see it and regain signal. It had traveled at least 100 yards uncontrolled.

Both times I would have expected it to execute an RTH.....that’s what it’s set to do. It just kept on going on the last commanded course. There has also been a few times when I take off, that it just keeps on ascending. Not quickly, like when I jump off the ground to 10‘ and hover....but instead of hovering it slowly keeps climbing no matter what left stick input I give. I have to quickly do the mode switch and that takes care of it. And yes, I’ve done the stick stir, contact cleaner, hardware monitor check.....and the first flight of the day I power up the kit, set a 15 min timer and let the bird sit on the ground. (I have 8 batteries and field recharge capability) During fist hover I also check each control input response, camera operation, etc....before I fly.

So....it’s occasional and random....what it’s going to do or not do.

Sorry I missed this......yes, I tend to keep it close, within 1500’.....so the drops are momentary as I quickly reposition myself or I give it a quick jam on the left stick to gain enough altitude to regain connection. Normally. The signal loss can happen very suddenly, even when the bird is well within the distance you’d expect to have a solid connection. It just doesn’t “feel” like it has a very strong, reliable connection.

A few times I’ve had a rather strange, and disturbing disconnect......once I was in the backyard of a property, the bird was out front, across the street, and I was making a 30 second clip, drifting south to north, of the front of the house. At the very end of the clip, I went to stop it, and the bird just kept going. I had video, but no stick control. The 2.4 signal was red. It continued on out of my sight. I ran to the front yard and regained sight and 2.4 signal control, but during that disconnect the bird traveled 2 houses on down the street. Thankfully there were no trees or anything.

Same thing happened filming a storage property. I was at the NE corner of the property, the bird at 150’ doing a 30 second slide clip of the property, from NE to NW corner. I lost both video and stick. It was barely 900’ away and I watched it just keep going. I ran around through the front gate and down the line between units until I could see it and regain signal. It had traveled at least 100 yards uncontrolled.

Both times I would have expected it to execute an RTH.....that’s what it’s set to do. It just kept on going on the last commanded course. There has also been a few times when I take off, that it just keeps on ascending. Not quickly, like when I jump off the ground to 10‘ and hover....but instead of hovering it slowly keeps climbing no matter what left stick input I give. I have to quickly do the mode switch and that takes care of it. And yes, I’ve done the stick stir, contact cleaner, hardware monitor check.....and the first flight of the day I power up the kit, set a 15 min timer and let the bird sit on the ground. (I have 8 batteries and field recharge capability) During fist hover I also check each control input response, camera operation, etc....before I fly.

I was curious how the US firmware performed when signal was lost, clearly it reconnects much quicker than EU. Don't know why it has to scan to prevent interference to weather radar etc, unless they use a different frequency in other countries than EU.

Fred, you've described some serious problems! It sounds like you were still able to see the bird when you lost control functions (no obstructions). Usually, video goes before telemetry and control. I'm no radio expert, but it sounds like a WiFi receiver/transmitter board intermittent failure or flaky contact somewhere. Could it be related to heat? I would not continue flying that bird until the problem was solved. BTW, which model were you flying?

Reactions: Euphered
Fred, you've described some serious problems! It sounds like you were still able to see the bird when you lost control functions (no obstructions). Usually, video goes before telemetry and control. I'm no radio expert, but it sounds like a WiFi receiver/transmitter board intermittent failure or flaky contact somewhere. Could it be related to heat? I would not continue flying that bird until the problem was solved. BTW, which model were you flying?

Very tough to solve a problem, or know it is solved, when the problem is very intermittent, especially if the aircraft needs to be flying in order for the problem to occur.

Wonder if one could somehow simulate flight conditions without actually flying? The trick is finding a way for the controller inputs to be received by the aircraft and acknowledged, without the inputs actually doing anything. That is, how do we know if throttle change is received if the props are not spinning, for example?

Sounds like we would need an analyzer attached, and a helping hand, to communicate back as to whether function and control is being maintained, or not, while this “helper” carries the craft away from the controller.

Anyone have a test bed for this?

Just thinking out loud.

Jeff

You have to also consider where I’m flying....the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex is a heavily wi-fi congested area. This connection issue doesn’t always present itself, but when it does occur I’m in a populated urban area, frequently among commercial structures and offices. There’s a lot of “radio noise” around here.

I mention this issue with the H+ because there is none of this flying my Mavic 2 Pro. I said before that it’s so much better it’s laughable. If DJI can accomplish this rock solid communication, why can’t Yuneec?

Also they should have grammar-checked the Yuneec co-founder (Wenyan Jiang's) quote: “The Typhoon H3 with ION L1 Pro camera merges art and technology, craft and modernity in a unique manner and, in doing so, takes our aerial photography to dizzy new heights..." Dizzy new heights? Shame on the PR firm for allowing that error, if they used a PR firm.
It may be a cross-border thing but, for me, "dizzy new heights" is fine grammatically and qualifies as the Queen's English. Whether it was a good choice of metaphor by the PR boys is another matter. Maybe it's a typo and should have read "dizzy new hypes"…

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
Two good findings:
A) the h+ gets the h3 (2019) software after the h3 release (the Yuneec guy im the video confirmed that)
B) the Leica L1 cam can be used with the h+, too - as confirmed in the interview

The only thing that is a little bit contrary to that is that someone mentioned a FB post by Yuneec fb Europe that claims that the camera can NOT be used by the h+ ... well

Two good findings:
A) the h+ gets the h3 (2019) software after the h3 release (the Yuneec guy im the video confirmed that)
B) the Leica L1 cam can be used with the h+, too - as confirmed in the interview

The only thing that is a little bit contrary to that is that someone mentioned a FB post by Yuneec fb Europe that claims that the camera can NOT be used by the h+ ... well

That’s great for the H+ guys, hopefully all of those claims in the interview will be true.

Some here will remember prior to the Plus's release a Yuneec representative in an interview said the same of the C23 being compatible with the Typhoon H. We all know how that turned out. My guess is they won't make the L1 compatible with the Plus or if they do it will be wildly overpriced.

Some here will remember prior to the Plus's release a Yuneec representative in an interview said the same of the C23 being compatible with the Typhoon H. We all know how that turned out. My guess is they won't make the L1 compatible with the Plus or if they do it will be wildly overpriced.

Hi Ty!

That “wildly overpriced” expectation is likely another candidate for a friendly “it’s all in one’s perspective” retort.

I remember when I started with a Canon Digital Rebel SLR (the very first model; first sub $1000 US at the time). Back then, spending almost $1600 for the 70-200mm f2.8L seemed way out of line, as far as my personal budget and experience level was concerned.

Then, after picking up a 5DmkII and then a Mark III, that same lens seems like a bargain.

Hopefully we get to the point, in the Yuneec UAS world, when we can finally say “invest in the glass; the transport keeps improving.”

More random thoughts on a Sunday!

Jeff

Last edited:
Reactions: Adamg1180
Went further here, it was listed on dealers websites and you could pay a deposit! And still is..

Last edited:
Went further here, it was listed on dealers websites and you could pay a deposit! And still is..

"Available in two versions: C23 for Typhoon H (YUNTYHC23EU) or Typhoon H Plus (YUNC23EU) "
So, are we to understand that a C23 camera will work on the Typhoon H? Has anyone done this?

"Available in two versions: C23 for Typhoon H (YUNTYHC23EU) or Typhoon H Plus (YUNC23EU) "
So, are we to understand that a C23 camera will work on the Typhoon H? Has anyone done this?
No it's not available as far as I know, but Yuneec must of informed the dealers of their intentions, they just never materialised. That's not to say a whizz kid could adapt one, if they can break into NASA or the Pentagon computers, then the Yuneec software would pose little obstacle I would think!

There is no technical issue here, hence the problem is how to get a L1 camera. If buy a H3, why mount L1 with H+? otherwise pay $1400 to upgrade from c23 to L1 seem too expensive.
A reasonable direction is yuneec keep improving current H+ but maintain H3 as a platform to compatiable with H and H520 cameras, just as talked in the interview.

For some, buying the new H3 with the L1 will be a logical step perhaps, if (for instance) they are still flying a three year old Typhoon H. But on the other hand if you've just purchased a Plus, say in the last couple months, then the thought of laying out another 2,300.00 may be out of reach. But here again, until we actually see what the differences are, what the ups and downs (if any) are; we really can only speculate.

And here is the thing that Yuneec (as a Manufacturer) may not see when they design a new platform. For many of us, what we are buying is a camera attached to a flying tripod, but it is the camera that we are most interested in, the tripod needs to function well of course but it is a secondary consideration in terms of bells and whistles. As long as it flies and is reliable - if it carries a great camera we'll figure the rest out.

For me personally I have a Plus that flies great, is very reliable, and is paid for - I already have a great dependable tripod and it's camera is still very good.

So, the H3 will need to have a camera that is an order of magnitude better than the C23 for some to want to buy right away and I suspect for many to consider the rest, the H3 itself will need to come out of the gates without a hitch and be reliable from day one. As I said before I am anxious to see what it can do.

There is no technical issue here, hence the problem is how to get a L1 camera. If buy a H3, why mount L1 with H+? otherwise pay $1400 to upgrade from c23 to L1 seem too expensive.
A reasonable direction is yuneec keep improving current H+ but maintain H3 as a platform to compatiable with H and H520 cameras, just as talked in the interview.

Hi @LinsonW,

I will give you one very good reason to mount the L1 on an H Plus:

I am on a job site and have both my H3 and my H Plus with me. I need the L1 for this particular shoot.

Something is not quite right with my H3, at the time, so I save face by resorting to my trusty backup aircraft. Moving the L1 to the H Plus is accomplished with little time and effort. My client is not standing there waiting. I accomplish the task at hand.

The above scenario gives me incentive not only to invest in an H3, ADDING it to my fleet; it also gives me justification to stay with Yuneec!

I’m sure there are many more examples, but I think the above hit the mark. Not only with the H3, but the H family as a whole. Let me keep the cameras while I upgrade the @Ty Pilot tripods. When better cameras are released, I will upgrade those and continue to use ALL my tripods!

Respectfully,

Jeff

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval