Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

NOTAMs question

Reaction score
In my area I can see two UAS related NOTAMs are active for the better part of the next year. Someone has applied for waivers and gained auths to fly there. Does this mean that I can document those NOTAMs and fly there too? Is the auth only for the PIC that applied for it? Can you have two different auths from the same tower from two different guys? Why bother? The manned pilots still know about the activity, right? Does the FAA care? I'm sure I could fool a cop or some other power mad guy but is it really legal?

Last edited:
Good questions!

You'll have to determine the purpose of the NOTAM's; are they advisories to make people aware of a special activity so they will be more vigilant when flying in or near the area or are do they contain temporary flight restrictions to prevent anyone aside from those involved in the special activity from operating there? An sUAS NOTAM does not mean that someone has obtained special use authorization for the area, unless that NOTAM defines a sUAS CoA. Even having a CoA for sUAS activities does not prevent others from passing through that airspace, unless a flight restriction has been issued for the CoA.

A NOTAM can simply mean that sUAS or other activities or features are present that might be a hazard to aerial navigation. For example, an RC club might file a NOTAM covering their flying field to help full scale aircraft avoid the area if they have had issues with them in the past. I've got a guy that practices fairly low level aerobatics near my home that has me thinking I should file a NOTAM advising of sUAS activity in my general area. He can still fly there but I would have made him aware he wasn't always going to be the only thing in the sky. A NOTAM can be used to cover multiple activities as long as those activities and entities use the same airspace for the same period of time. NOTAM's are generated to let all pilots know about an activity that might cause a higher level of risk for them or to let them know they need to be more vigilant. Typically, NOTAM's are generated more to let full scale know about something, not so much for sUAS operators, although a NOTAM is equally important to every aviator.

Drill down the NOTAM information further to establish what they are actually defining. You can also call the local FAA FSDO office to obtain more information about the purpose and scope of the NOTAM. Are they advisory only or are they TFR's?

Hi!

You have to contact the other guys who gained auths to fly there. Let them know that someone wants to fly same place, maybe same time?
In our country, if I have auths to fly, I have to still call to tower and let them know I am beginning and I call again when I am finished my flights...

Best regards.

Here is the info that I have, I'll drill further like you suggested in a little while.

NOTAM UAS Operating Area FTW_06/660
DEFINED AS 9.5NM RADIUS OF TTT188018.5 (6NM SSW GKY)
SFC-400FT AGL 1706291538-1709012359.

Hi!

You have to contact the other guys who gained auths to fly there. Let them know that someone wants to fly same place, maybe same time?
In our country, if I have auths to fly, I have to still call to tower and let them know I am beginning and I call again when I am finished my flights...

Best regards.
Thanks,
In the US, we only notify the tower if specified in our auth.

The NOTAM you posted advises that sUAS ops are being conducted in the defined area. It contains nothing restricting the airspace.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
puputus