Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Out of Control

Something similar happened to me, drone went up to a elevation of approximately 100 feet then immediately took off in a northerly direction at full speed. Hit tree which caused major damage. To replace motor arms found out you have to unsolder power wires from main board then replace after installing motor into new arm. Bad design, would not recommend this unit to anyone, costly and unpredictable

To replace motor arms found out you have to unsolder power wires
Nope. If you look more closely you will see the connectors are covered with heat shrink, but they can be unplugged. The motor you purchased would have had those connectors. What did you do? Cut them off?

Reactions: AH-1G
To replace motor arms found out you have to unsolder power wires from main board then replace after installing motor into new arm. Bad design, would not recommend this unit to anyone, costly and unpredictable

Typhoon H models all have a quick connect ESC connections color coded connecting the arm to the board (red, blue and black). There is also a small white connector to control the motor arm LED underneath the motor. Arms are modular and can be replaced in less than 30 minutes without any tools other than two hex wrenches (one for the four gear servo screws and one arm bolt and the other for the ten body screws).

After no luck I had my craft examined at a local authorized dealer. The remote is defective specifically the right joy stick... second one with similar issues and this one had no more than an hour flying time...

Reactions: Steve Carr
The joy stick problem should have shown up in Hardware Monitor. Perhaps your initial check was just to quick for it to show up.
In any case, the sticks seem to get oxidation on the contacts especially while being stored for awhile. It's a simple matter to clean them and I recommend doing so before deciding to replace a stick. Even new sticks often have oxidation, again from just sitting in a warehouse.

Reactions: Wakeborder2
Sounds like it could have been an oxidized pot. If it is it will show up again (possibly randomly) in the hardware monitor until its cleaned or replaced.

Sounds like it could have been an oxidized pot. If it is it will show up again (possibly randomly) in the hardware monitor until its cleaned or replaced.
Craft was examined at an authorized repair facility. Stated the pot needed replaced and this still does not identify the 5 motor warning on my remote or the refusal of the craft to shut down either by remote or button on the craft itself.. I had to pull the battery as the motors ramped up to get it shut off.

Craft was examined at an authorized repair facility. Stated the pot needed replaced and this still does not identify the 5 motor warning on my remote or the refusal of the craft to shut down either by remote or button on the craft itself.. I had to pull the battery as the motors ramped up to get it shut off.

It's hard to make conclusions out of they way anyone remembers an incident (memories often trick us). If you are willing to share the Telemetry data logs we could take a look and see if anything unusual happened during your last flight.

There are 3 different files: Telemetry, Remote GPS and Remote. The 3 files might help to sort out what happened.

As steve mentioned before:

Jeff, there may be something in the telemetry that would help sort out the problem. You can upload the telemetry and remote file here by adding a ".txt" to the end of the file name.

Greetings!

It's hard to make conclusions out of they way anyone remembers an incident (memories often trick us). If you are willing to share the Telemetry data logs we could take a look and see if anything unusual happened during your last flight.

There are 3 different files: Telemetry, Remote GPS and Remote. The 3 files might help to sort out what happened.

As steve mentioned before:

Greetings!
As I just mentioned I had this craft serviced at an authorized repair facility and it is their opinion this is a bad pot switch. All of this information was examined by the technician who did what he could to identify and correct the problem then suggested the craft go back to Yuneec.
I have no issue with how I remember this incident and in fact enjoyed a 30 year career documenting incidents as I remembered them to later be used in legal proceedings....even in the most stressful situations. So, to avoid any misinformation I may inject I took my Typhoon to someone who could look at it inspite of my recollection.... just a bit insulting that you ignore what I’m trying to convey and infer I don’t remember reading a 5 motor fault on my remote, have a sluggish then unpredictable response to input, have my craft fly away on its own, crash into my fence and then refuse to accept input to shut down... circle back to the authorized tech.
Classic... I sent in a request to Yuneec over three weeks ago and got no response but you immediately get back here with these comments?

.... just a bit insulting that you ignore what I’m trying to convey and infer I don’t remember reading a 5 motor fault on my remote, have a sluggish then unpredictable response to input, have my craft fly away on its own, crash into my fence and then refuse to accept input to shut down...

First of all: I'm sorry you decided to take my reply personal and get offended; but data logs are data logs, and personal experience is always subjective.
Also the Telemetry data request is not to call you out on your recollection of events, it's because telemetry data records a lot of information that is invisible on the remote, like GPS accuracy, RSSI, yaw/pitch/roll values, remote input, etc..

Second, I meant that we could help give you more insight other than Yuneec's:
It is a known fact for some users that Yuneec techs usually go for the "text book solution". For example you could search around for the Aircrafts shutting down in mid air issues; @Steve Carr actually figured out what was happening to some users when, under certain specific conditions, a controller 'bug' caused the shutdown sequence to initiate and their aircrafts motors stopped mid-flight: He reached out to Yuneec, with the evidence of the fatal 'bug' which could even be replicated on their simulator, but their techs ignored all that and said (paraphrasing) "No, people are just pressing the shutdown button while flying"

Lastly, there are a few accounts around here that are apparently made only to claim false misshaps on the Typhoon H (some of us suspect a constant smearing campaing) and even though most members are always willing to help sometimes these accounts go silent after requesting the Telemetry data (or are reluctant to share), either because the logs simply don't exist or because the user knows what they did wrong and don't want others to see. I'm not saying this is your case, I'm just letting you know this happens.

Greetings

While I thank you for the clarification, you may want to consider how you are phrasing your comments as well. Without tone, influx, etc things can be misrepresented and misinterpreted, (e.g. “decided” to take something a certain way and referring to smear campaigns or disappearing when files are requested).
While I hope the comments having to do with not uploading files weren’t directed at me I can only reiterate.. I took my craft to be examined and repaired by an authorized repair facility in Portland OR. Called EZ Drone. I did this so someone could first-hand examine any data on the craft and see what took place. I felt this more effective than repairing by blog as I have a very busy schedule. Again, this is my replacement drone with only a couple test flights prior to a temperature controlled storage, in the original packaging. The first craft had nearly identical issues with the controller, causing a crash. Yuneec kindly sent me the replacement as well as reimbursed me for shipping and repairs that were ineffective.
Please let me know if you’re interested in a contact number for this location as I’ve tried for more than three weeks to get Yuneec to make that contact to verify my claims and take action.

repairs that were ineffective.
Craft was examined at an authorized repair facility. Stated the pot needed replaced and this still does not identify the 5 motor warning
Hi Jeff.
Just to be clear, this forum is for informational exchange and members are often able to help identify problems and fixes that you may not find anywhere else. We aren't into finger pointing and most of us prefer to deal with documentation together with a descriptive narrative from the pilot. The telemetry is the blackbox of the flight records and they help us in that effort. The narrative only is only half of the information. So the request for the telemetry is exactly what Yuneec also asks and for the same reason.

There is a significant difference in the approach used by Yuneec and the approach used here. Yuneec will never reveal or discuss any findings related to the aircraft or controller. They will tell you what parts are being replaced and they will tell you any pilot errors they find or suspect. They use proprietary software to analyze the telemetry and rely on those results EXCLUSIVELY. They are not trained to read telemetry and will not open those files even if the telemetry clearly shows their conclusion to be in error.

The approach we use here is interactive with the member and the telemetry. We share everything with you. We have no horse in the race except for the fact other members gain important information into cause and effect. The repair center identified a stick for replacement. That is child's play, honestly, and if you go back to post #5 you could easily have identified the stick in about 5 min. That was likely only part of the problem but certainly the easiest to find.

If you are interested in what may have caused the problems, post the telemetry. It's simply part of the process we use here. We may find nothing which is often the case. Incidentally, @JulesTEO is extremely knowledgeable about the H and the telemetry. He has been a huge help to a lot of members here.

Reactions: AH-1G
Thank you, that helps to clarify things. I will check with the repair facility, but I’m almost certain he wiped everything off the remote and reinstalled all software during his repair attempt, but if not I’ll research how to upload files to you and send them off.
I’ll approach the threads a little differently from this point forward as I’m sure I’ve let my frustrations get the better of me..

Thank you, that helps to clarify things. I will check with the repair facility, but I’m almost certain he wiped everything off the remote and reinstalled all software during his repair attempt, but if not I’ll research how to upload files to you and send them off.
I’ll approach the threads a little differently from this point forward as I’m sure I’ve let my frustrations get the better of me..
No worries Jeff. The telemetry files are stored in the internal memory of the ST16. There should be no reason for anyone to delete them so they should still be there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval