Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Passed

Pman,

Between Phaedrus, TyPilot, and myself we’ve already posted the links to the FAA documents and test subjects that would be studied to pass the test. They’ve been referenced and posted many times before, initiating just as the 107 classification was implemented.

As Ty mentioned, you don’t need to have an aviation background to be successful. The books were published with the sole purpose of providing people with no aviation background with a means to study and become pilots. Everything the tests are based on is in those PDF’s.

The most difficult part of the process is having the desire and dedication to sit down and study the material. That can be frustrating for those that have not attended courses to advance their careers or obtain college credits in a long time but people that can take the time and expend the effort to learn image processing programs certainly have the ability to read books to pass a pilot’s written test.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaedrus
Yeah I get it. I need to go back and look at all the links and probably print it all out and go from there unless its thousands of pages. I'm the kind of person who prints out a complete manual for practically everything i own and yes I also read through them. I like having a hard copy and not just stored on an electronic device.
We are traveling back from visiting my grandsons up in the adirondacks and are finally getting on the thruway so I've got internet again. My wife likes to drive so I get to use my phone which makes the 4 hour trip fly by.
I think I'll start by taking a short look at the links to see what I'm in for. This would be a lot easier if I didnt usually feel cruddy from my kidney issues and the meds. I'm the kind of student who studies for 100% on a test. I get there by doing the work and not any kind of special memorization ability. The 24/7 pain meds I'm on are not doing me any favors. Not clear headed anymore but not bad either.

Three things I'd like to add that people might view as an investment in their future.

Learn how to make use of GPS-Lat-Long coordinates. Considerable test emphasis is given to reading aeronautical charts and you must understand how to use GPS grid coordinates. Aeronautical Sectional charts are overlaid with a GPS grid and the FAA uses GPS coordinates to establish airport and navigational aid locations. There are many YouTube videos that explain and demonstrate how to use GPS coordinates. Watch a few of them.

Go to a local airport flight school or visit a pilot supply business online and obtain a VFR Sectional chart for your area. Use it to assist as study guide (all the chart legends are on the left side of the chart) and as a tool to let you see what type of airspace is over you and to locate all the airports in your area.

Buy a chart plotter. It's the only tool I take with me to a written test as everything else is provided. You will have to find grid line marks and measure distances and a clear plotter makes the job easy. The better ones (see picture) provide mileage in several scales, statute and nautical for Sectional, WAC, and Terminal Area charts. Place the center of the plotter over an airport or other location, rotate the plotter in the direction needed, and distances are easy to obtain as the scales extend outwards from the small hole in the center of the plotter. You can find them at airport flight schools, pilot supply shops, and Amazon. Don't buy a clear ruler, they don't provide the mileage scales you will need and marking them yourself is just silly.

Link to a lesson explaining how to use a plotter, and a little more as a bonus: http://www.siue.edu/~lmillio/portfolio/Files/IT510_Instructions.pdf

Edit: Added Lat-Long to first GPS coordinate reference

Attachments

• Plotter_.jpg
    Plotter_.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Chart reading along with with METAR's, TAF's and weather basics were the two areas that I found to be the biggest challenges, but certainly not in surmountable if you apply yourself.

One thing Pat, and I have read elsewhere that another 107 tester was allowed to take a calculator into their test. In my test, I was only allowed the test materials they supplied and a couple sheets of paper and a pencil. I was told to empty my pockets of everything even cash, wallet and keys and certainly the cell phone before being allowed into testing. It seems some places allow different items, perhaps a check at ones test site prior to testing to see just what is allowed.

I'm the kind of student who studies for 100% on a test. I get there by doing the work and not any kind of special memorization ability.

That is something all should strive to achieve.

Just an FYI thing, FAA tests provide a pass percentage for the applicant to see at the end of the test, along with the test questions missed. On the test results sheet the applicant is provided there are reference areas applicable to any missed questions for the applicant to review should they desire to do so. And they most certainly should as incorrect answers are indicative of areas of knowledge the applicant needs to improve their comprehension. One thing about the FAA score sheet, it only has two grading standards, Pass or Fail. No scores are provided on the document provided at the end of a test. There are no awards or honors for high test scores on the result sheet, that's a personal satisfaction thing. Regardless of the score one obtains after taking a written test, we don't walk out of the testing center knowing all there is to know. Passing the test is not cause to cease further study as there is much still to be learned and periodic review is a mandate for everyone that lacks a photographic memory.

I have read elsewhere that another 107 tester was allowed to take a calculator into their test. In my test, I was only allowed the test materials they supplied and a couple sheets of paper and a pencil.

I was also told that I could bring a standard calculator. I didn't bring one, but they actually supplied me with one. I ain't gonna lie, I used it to figure out how much wings need to handle in a 45° bank.

Learn how to make use of GPS coordinates.

When you say "GPS coordinates" are you referring to latitude and longitude ?
Lat/Long predated GPS by a couple of years, at least ?

I know what you are saying, but for the uninitiated it is worth knowing the GPS is a means of locating yourself/aircraft based on the latitude and longitude grid.

Chart reading along with with METAR's, TAF's and weather basics were the two areas that I found to be the biggest challenges, but certainly not in surmountable if you apply yourself.

One thing Pat, and I have read elsewhere that another 107 tester was allowed to take a calculator into their test. In my test, I was only allowed the test materials they supplied and a couple sheets of paper and a pencil. I was told to empty my pockets of everything even cash, wallet and keys and certainly the cell phone before being allowed into testing. It seems some places allow different items, perhaps a check at ones test site prior to testing to see just what is allowed.

I was supplied a calculator. They stripped me of everything electronic. If I had a pacemaker I think they would have taken that too!!

Reactions: Ty Pilot

Perhaps that depends on the Proctor administering the test. I don't take a calculator as the test centers I've been to either provide one or the computers themselves have one accessible in the programming. Anything electronic is prohibited, especially cell phones, PDA's, and watches that can store test answers or access the web. Leave them in your car. I believe the FAA makes speficic reference to prohibiting them due to past issues when the FAA still published test questions and answers. People would load Q's and A's into electronic flight calculators and PDA's to cheat a test. A plotter is a standard tool used by all pilots and is generally allowed as it's basically a ruler and does not identify a specific answer to a specific question. You can still make mistakes with one. My old one (30 years) had finally broken so I didn't have one to take for my last test. I borrowed the Proctor's since his facility did not carry pilot supplies. Checking before taking one into the room certainly won't cause any harm. Attached is a link to an FAA advisory circular that covers the subject.

I totally agree with you about METAR's and TAF's. They can be a PITA even for long standing pilots but being able to read them is certainly helpful for anyone that makes use of more complex and extended weather reports. Most sUAS operators won't encounter them much as they will obtain their weather from a local TV or radio station but those that have to visit numerous locations a significant distance apart or having large elevation differences will find them useful for a day's flight planning. Someone performing inspection and survey work may not be able to access a local weather channels out in the boonies so having the ability to download METAR's and take them with them can be helpful.

Attachments

• AC 60-11c_Test Aids.pdf
    42.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Reactions: Ty Pilot
A wise old CFI once told me that passing a FAA test was really a ticket to start learning.

It was my dad that told me that one must never stop learning and I find that so very true. I am, this weekend; back into the FAA material prepping for my recurrent test next month. ;)For some reason this> KMCO 231753Z 18012G18KT 10SM SCT035 30/19 A3012 RMK AO2 SLP196 T03000194 10300 20228 58025

just doesn't seem natural:p:cool: but fortunately that won't be part of the recurrent test.

When you say "GPS coordinates" are you referring to latitude and longitude ?
Lat/Long predated GPS by a couple of years, at least ?

I know what you are saying, but for the uninitiated it is worth knowing the GPS is a means of locating yourself/aircraft based on the latitude and longitude grid.

You are absolutely right and I stand corrected.

It was my dad that told me that one must never stop learning and I find that so very true. I am, this weekend; back into the FAA material prepping for my recurrent test next month. ;)For some reason this> KMCO 231753Z 18012G18KT 10SM SCT035 30/19 A3012 RMK AO2 SLP196 T03000194 10300 20228 58025

just doesn't seem natural:p:cool: but fortunately that won't be part of the recurrent test.

They seem to be more focused on airspace identification, altitudes, chart usage, VFR reporting points, weather minimums, general sUAS regs, airport markings, crew coordination, and risk management. There will only be 40 questions so an incorrect answer has more weight than it did with the aeronautical knowledge test.

The plotter was quite helpful for questions related to distance to/from an airport and identification of and allowable heights for and above objects. Makes it a lot easier to locate the stuff on a chart. For those like me getting along in years, so does some type of magnifying device. The test supplement charts are not as well printed as they could be.

Last edited:
You are absolutely right and I stand corrected.

Was not trying to correct you. I think most of us understood your post. Like I mentioned, I was clarifying for those who may think Lat/Long and GPS are different things. GPS is really a Lat/Long reader. It uses satellites to find you and tell you what your location is using the lat/long grid system. It's pretty freaking amazing if you ask me!! Our consumer grade stuff is pretty sloppy, but I've worked with surveyors who use GPS with centimeter accuracy using multi-frequency GPS receivers.

Even more amazing is the level of accuracy surveyors achieved before the advent of satellite GPS technology and pocket calculators. Those folks with a transit set the standards everyone still has to run by.

I'm not too concerned with being corrected or clarified. It's good you found good cause to do as you did.

Reactions: Phaedrus
I was allowed to bring in a magnifying glass.....Proctor said it was not a problem and understood the need for sectionals.....and yes, I did use it many times during the exam.

I know it's not a big deal to many on here, but I just passed my 107 with a 93% score. I've already got a decent amount of money in starting my side business up, so this was very important to me. Big thanks to King Schools and their online ground school. Was definitely worth the $100.

Actually what it means is that you're a professional remote pilot, congratulations, I hope to have mine next month, I chose the AMA ground school, I needed the insurance for the areas I fly for practice, and the fee for jining was taken off the fee for the course. I grew up with a father who held CFI and A/P certificates so some I knew, some is making me crosseyed

Reactions: TurboDad81

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ludwig