Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Passed

Currency is part of what you get to learn in your studies. Pilot certificates never expire only the ability to make use of them does. Once licensed a pilot is licensed for life unless and until they surrender their license or it is revoked for administrative reasons. Your learning process will enable you to recognize when renewals are required and what actually expires.

Rather than try to spoon feed you answers to your questions every step of the way, you've already been to the FAA website, you're going to have to go back again to generate an IACRA account to initiate an application anyway, it might be a good idea to get started reading what the FAA has to say. Everything the FAA tests for is established using information developed and presented by the FAA. There is no portion of the study materials that is anything but comprehensive, if you desire to make use of it.

You are going to have to know the system in order to use the system and it might make sense to use the information pertinent to the system that was created by the people that own and manage the system. If you elect to use a commercial study course, use one developed by people that have a long history of operating within the system while teaching others to do the same.

Become a Drone Pilot

Aviation Handbooks & Manuals

Last edited:
Checked the IACRA site a few times today and it popped up. Got the application finished and sent. Screenshot_20190222-154704~2.jpeg

Thanks, Pat. I actually absorbed what I was reading and watching. King Schools is very in depth. I am happy with it. I only wish they did what most of the other ground schools do, and give you a lifetime access to their course. You only get 1 year access. But, I'm retaining the info, so I probably shouldn't need to access it after a year.

Mostly for you because you lamented about the inability to access the course after 1 year I posted a link to FAA study documentation.

The ones you will reference the most are Aviation Weather, Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, Airman’s Information Manual, FAR’s, and the book about reading and deciphering aeronautical charts. Should you desire you might also download the Chart Suppliment booklet appropriate for your area. It has all the airport info for your area. That used to be called the Airport Facility Directory, a name that makes a lot more sense than Chart Suppliment.

Something nice is those same books are used when working towards a full scale ticket.

I'm stuck on the trying to figure out if it makes sense for a person who just enjoys drones to get a 107 because of the aforementioned potential consequences if anything went wrong thing. It's not an easy thing to talk about but theres always the potential for the unthinkable to occur.

True but bear in mind the FAA’s ability to impose penalties for careless/reckless operation of an aircraft is just as applicable to recreational flyers, as are other civil and criminal penalties. Also recognize the FAA or NTSB has never published a definition of careless and reckless operation of an aircraft so it is whatever they want it to be but largely aligns with violating provisions in the FAR’s.

As the days march on it’s pretty clear modelers are going to be hit with some kind of knowledge testing requirements. 107 holders will be way ahead of the game. There’s also a prospect product liability will gain more of a focus in the legal world and better 107 holders will be far more cognizant of what is needed where “safe” equipment is concerned, helping to insulate them from the recreational masses who pay little attention to anything other than system widgets and price.

Not to mention that 107 gives you a leg up on things like airspace authorizations, etc. Recreational flyers are going to have to obtain permission to fly just as 107 does now any time they are outside Class G airspace (same as 107). No clue how that will work. But having your 107 ticket will definitely be a leg up.

In fact, moving forward about the only thing separating 107 and recreational sUAS flying is registration. 107 registers every aircraft, recreational registers the pilot and uses the same number on all models. Night flying may be easier for models, but that is not entirely clear either.

Not to mention that 107 gives you a leg up on things like airspace authorizations, etc.........

Hobby fliers are still hamstrung with the 5 NM notification requirement. Get your 107 and that goes away. You’re only required to get permission/notify when flying within controlled airspace. As long as you stay out of the controlled airspace, you can fly right up to the fence of airport property and not notify anyone. You just have to stay out of the way and not interfere with operations.

AC107-2 Sec 5.8.1; 5.8.1.1; 5.8.1.2

Hobby fliers are still hamstrung with the 5 NM notification requirement.

For now, until the new Section 349 is integrated into the FARs, it is correct that recreational flyers have to notify airports. The notification radius is 5 statute miles, not nautical miles. And that is measured from the airport center point.

My post was speaking more to what will be the situation after Section 349 is fully adopted.

Reactions: Fred Garvin
I think the local small airports will like this more than us.....the times I've called, I got the distinct impression they could not care less, and I was bothering them.....sensed a "sigh, not another one" on the other end of the line.

I think the local small airports will like this more than us.....the times I've called, I got the distinct impression they could not care less, and I was bothering them.....sensed a "sigh, not another one" on the other end of the line.

I've had similar responses from small, uncontrolled community airports.

Lol. No big deal. Thanks though. That's a lot of money. Just converted it to USD. It's almost $1,500, so 10 times the amount. That's crazy.

First of all, congrats TurboDad81!

I just passed my exams for class 1 RPAS pilot too (here in Belgium they work with classes, class 1 is for commercial flights in controlled airspace with drones with a MTOM of up to 150kg). I don't know what the requirements and knowledge are for other countries, but it's crazy to see how cheap the exams are in other countries. Here in Belgium it's way more expensive then that:
  • Mandatory theory + practical class: 2.600 EUR
  • Mandatory LAPL medical certification: 175 EUR
  • Theory exam for the NAA (Air law, Communication, Meteorology, Human factors): 100 EUR
  • Practical exam with a by the NAA assigned examiner (flying skills in both GPS and manual mode + another theory exam about Aviation technology, Aerodynamics, Navigation, Flight Instruments and Privacy law): 380 EUR
  • Remote Pilote License: 340 EUR

Then there are still all other costs for registering your drone, Ops Manual,...

First of all, congrats TurboDad81!

I just passed my exams for class 1 RPAS pilot too (here in Belgium they work with classes, class 1 is for commercial flights in controlled airspace with drones with a MTOM of up to 150kg). I don't know what the requirements and knowledge are for other countries, but it's crazy to see how cheap the exams are in other countries. Here in Belgium it's way more expensive then that:
  • Mandatory theory + practical class: 2.600 EUR
  • Mandatory LAPL medical certification: 175 EUR
  • Theory exam for the NAA (Air law, Communication, Meteorology, Human factors): 100 EUR
  • Practical exam with a by the NAA assigned examiner (flying skills in both GPS and manual mode + another theory exam about Aviation technology, Aerodynamics, Navigation, Flight Instruments and Privacy law): 380 EUR
  • Remote Pilote License: 340 EUR

Then there are still all other costs for registering your drone, Ops Manual,...
Thanks man

Congrats but man that's a lot of money! Not a chance I would do that just for fun. I absolutely would have to have a solid business plan.
I'm really curious how many people have gotten a 107 who have no intention of making any kind of $ from it. Wouldnt mind seeing a poll set up for this.
Would also like someone to list with links all together what needs to be studied (and if possible list them according to the different sections the test is based on) so that if you do have the time you could learn and then only have to pay the 150. My bet is there are quite a lot of older members here that might be retired that would benefit from this. I am NOT saying that everyone else wouldnt greatly benefit too.
I'm also very curious of the ages of our members in general. I belong to a laser forum that I was very active in before this building hundreds of handhelds in different wavelengths and outputs and it was interesting to see the demographics. I've yet to install any laser in a drone as I think it's a really bad idea. You could get yourself in serious trouble. Both have had an awful lot of media coverage and I'm sure they would love to obliterate someone for doing it. You could easily add a 7W+ laser to a drone for under $200. I keep all my lasers in cases and it's very rare that I would even bring one outside now. They are perfectly legal but just like drones there are angry people everywhere that make it their lifes mission to complain about everything regardless of the law. As with anything you need to know your rights and the proper use and laws.

I ignore most Unicom airports, a waist of time.

Pretty much.....if it’s magenta on the sectional (non towered) and no surface controlled airspace....or if towered but tower is closed with surface G.....unless I need to fly on the property, I won’t bother.

If I’m going to be within a couple miles or so, I’ll bring my Grundig Satellit 750 and monitor the local CTAF, Unicom or 121.5.

. . . . Would also like someone to list with links all together what needs to be studied (and if possible list them according to the different sections the test is based on) so that if you do have the time you could learn and then only have to pay the 150.

Here you go FAA (I linked the specific place to start)

I'm not trying to be a Smart A$$;) but it is seriously all there. Everything. I agree that there is so much talk and discussion in so many different places such as forums like ours, government websites, YouTube, the AMA's website and hundreds of others, and it can seem overwhelming. And; as some have pointed out, they don't even know if it would be worth it.

Simply put, if you have a business where taking a camera into the skies would benefit your business then 107 is for you. If not - your not likely going to need it yet.? However I would urge anyone who is even mildly interested in finding out more about the complicated airspace we fly in - to take the plunge - go to that link and start reading. You will find that there are many links to source material - put a folder on your desktop and start downloading. You will find lists of topics, download them. Continue this until you have it all. Nothing is stopping anyone from gaining the same knowledge as anyone who has a 107, you can choose whether you want to take the test at a later date - it's totally up to you.

Thats it, you have everything you need. Everything you need to learn, take and pass the 107 begins at that link. I did just this and studied for about two months, and having not come from a full-scale aviation background, I took a little longer to try and grasp all of the subjects until I got my head around it. But the object I think, is to go into it with a stead fast determination to learn the material.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval