Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Passed

She showed them to me after printing my results. I told her I knew those would be it. They were tossups for me. Never went over any of them with her.

At the very least Night Operations. I’m wondering how they’ll handle it for existing pilots.....additional exam? One time training update? Recurrent testing looks like it’s going away in lieu of a training update.

I believe recurrent testing will remain as it has been a requirement in full scale for a very long time. Pilot certificates do not have an expiration date but the ability to function as pilot in command does. Similar currency requirements were established long ago for flight in instrument conditions and carrying passengers at night. Medical certificates also have term limits and require re-examination. Drone operations are being integrated with long standing aviation rules and regs, they are not being introduced as “stand alone” regulations.

Last edited:
if only it was that price over here i would be doing it tomorrow
It's only going to be an online awareness course, so probably a few questions, it's not going to be indepth, remember in UK it's just starting to be regulated. I already do lots of online exams etc to do with work already, probably more indepth than a drone course.

If you don't mind me asking did you raise the money on your own or was it a lone, I'm an old school vet tail end of Vietnam beginning of cold war, have been having a BEAR O A TIME TRYING TO GET VA SMALL BUSINESS LOAN. Worse yet living in CT.

Oh and congrats I made the mistake of doing it ALL SELF STUDY, BIG MISTAKE. I passed mine but probably would have done better if I used a ground school, it would have also helped with testing confidence sien I'm a LOUSEY TEST TAKER TO BEGIN WIT.

I have been setting money aside specifically for this whole venture. Not just for taking the exam, but for the H Plus, filing my business with the state corporation commission, getting an LLC, city licensing, website domain and hosting, etc. I'm 37 and work a full-time job, and so does my wife. We're not quite on a fixed income yet.

Oh and congrats I made the mistake of doing it ALL SELF STUDY, BIG MISTAKE. I passed mine but probably would have done better if I used a ground school, it would have also helped with testing confidence sien I'm a LOUSEY TEST TAKER TO BEGIN WIT.
Well technically, the ground school that I did was a self-study course. It was online, not in person. It relied heavily on you to want to learn the material.

Reactions: PatR
I’ll take the plunge and be the one to say it. Unless there’s a reading “disability” there’s not much room to be classed as a “good” or “bad” test taker. How well one understands the material being tested is what determines the outcome, especially when multiple choice answers are provided.

If people only study a question and answer sheet to prepare for a test the best they can do is correctly answer test questions that are presented exactly the same as the questions studied. They don’t and won’t understand the basis a question was predicated on. Unless the practice test questions are exactly the same as the actual test you will be guessing at the answers and have only a 1 in 3 chance of getting each answer right. Worse, if they pass the test they won’t have the understanding of air space and other regulations necessary to safely and effectively participate in commercial activities. They end up subjecting themselves to serious legal consequences and endanger everyone around them in the process.

The time allotment for the test is more than adequate for those that have learned the material to take the test 2 times or more. Fast readers could easily do it thrice. Even a slow reader has plenty of time to complete the test, or have correctly answered enough questions to pass if they did not complete the test.

So don’t look for “short cuts” to cheat your way through a test. There’s no hurry to obtain a 107 certification. Nobody is going to start beating on your door to perform work as soon as you obtain certification and unless you have performed a considerable amount of demographic research you won’t have any customers for quite some time after becoming certified. There’s no glory or instant recognition in having one. In fact, by obtaining a 107 certification you made everything involved with drone operations more complicated. You are held to a higher standard and penalties, both civil and criminal, for your transgressions will be greater than what would be applied to a recreational flyer. In obtaining certification you declared you KNOW the rules and regulations and how to use widely available information to obtain clarification for the things you were unsure of.

The 107 cert will not make you a professional, it only permits you to fly for hire. What you do and how you do it is what will make you a professional. Take the time and put the effort into doing it right.

Last edited:
sorry should have said congratulations as well

uk it would cost me around £1300
Thetrecker,
Here in Australia and equivalent to the 107 is approx $3,500 to $5,000 and hoping that you pass , but you can go back for a retest if you don't pass at no cost. Big hearted of them, now they ( CASA Australian autority) want to have every one register over 250 grams and non commercial will be $ 20 and us with a license and need a license will be between $100 and $ 150 per year. I have written to them claiming 'DISCRIMINATION' we are not the problem but are very easy to put the costs on to as they have all of our particulars and contacts if we want our BUSINESS to go forward. Yuo need a lot of work to keep this going as well as your COMPANY structure to operate under and insure, that is a REOC here and is also $ 1,500 every two years with blind testing when they come out to visit you when they like. So I think that I would like the USA then England but hate the cold weather. Johnno Hennessy. Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

Thetrecker,
Here in Australia and equivalent to the 107 is approx $3,500 to $5,000 and hoping that you pass , but you can go back for a retest if you don't pass at no cost. Big hearted of them, now they ( CASA Australian autority) want to have every one register over 250 grams and non commercial will be $ 20 and us with a license and need a license will be between $100 and $ 150 per year. I have written to them claiming 'DISCRIMINATION' we are not the problem but are very easy to put the costs on to as they have all of our particulars and contacts if we want our BUSINESS to go forward. Yuo need a lot of work to keep this going as well as your COMPANY structure to operate under and insure, that is a REOC here and is also $ 1,500 every two years with blind testing when they come out to visit you when they like. So I think that I would like the USA then England but hate the cold weather. Johnno Hennessy. Keep flying on the green side of the grass.
wow at that price i hope it sort of works in your favour and you have less competition for work

Thetrecker,
Thought it's pretty hot in the Arizona desert?

I've thought about doing the 107 because it sounds interesting but on the other hand am wondering about the whole "held to a higher standard" issue if something were to go wrong. I'm not one for breaking rules so let's get that out of the way. I have to wonder if I have no interest in making $ off it if I would be making a big mistake doing it.
Yeah, I could pay for a course and never take the test but for me I just couldnt do it. If I pay for the course there is no way I wouldnt pay to take the test too. I'm assuming you want to pay for a course because the actual information you need to know is spread through a vast array of documents.
I'm rather confused as to what the actual US cost is. I looked online and I saw a course for about $250 and then theres the $150 for the test unless I'm looking at this wrong as it was sounding like it's way more than that from the comments. Of course $400 to me is a lot of $ that i would rather use on a drone as we are basically on a fixed income and I've decided I'm only allowed to use $ I've personally saved from gifts and the like plus any "free" I've built up on my Amazon Visa.

I just looked it up some more and it appears that there is quite a lot of information that you can either get for free or pay very little for to gain enough knowledge to pass the test without the paid classes. I have no doubt that the classes are worth the $ but if you have lots of time on your hand and dont "need" a 107 certificate right away most people could pass IF they take study/prep seriously.

Last edited:
The test fee is mandated by the FAA at $150.00. The test is administered by FAA recognized testing centers. If you happen to be a licensed and current full scale pilot there is a different process that allows you to take a different test online for free to demonstrate drone applicable knowledge.

Prep courses are presented by numerous private vendors, none of which are sponsored or recommended by federal authorities. Being private companies they price their courses on whatever they think the market will bear. Because of that test prep course prices are all over the map and it’s up to the buyer to decide what they are willing to spend. Many courses don’t care if you understand the law, airspace, airport ops, or flight operations, their only goal is to show you how to pass the test.

If someone has plenty of time and is willing to put some effort in navigating the FAA website they would learn that all the knowledge topics covered on the test have been published and the FAA provides all the study materials needed to pass the course for free in the form of books and other reference material downloads. Such a person only needs to set aside some time and perform self study.

In the long run that person is much better prepared because they learned the actual material instead of just the answer to a question, they retain all the FAA reference material for review in the future, and they learned how to effectively navigate the FAA website. Plus they saved the money that would have been spent on a test prep course.

Happily, as of yesterday I’m 107 current again.

Reactions: Phaedrus
I just figured that out and edited my post.
I think I'm missing the part about you have your 107 again though. Assuming that means it has to be renewed every couple of years then....
I like the idea of learning more. I see that the FAA has some kind of 107 study guide itself but is it complete/comprehensive or is it just a guide?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alvaro