Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

PixAero Lens Upgrade

Reaction score
Has anyone done the lens upgrade on the newer style of CGO3+ lens.
Mine has the fixed lens that is glued to the sensor board. I understand that i will need to remove this and use the screw adapter that the Pixaero comes with, but unsure as to how to remove the stock lens.

Any help or photos of the swap would be great.

@ctimblin
On the top right of each page is a magnifying glass or search function. Do a search on lens, and you should come up with many hits including videos on how to do it.
Some have done it them selves, others have opted to send the camera out and have it done.

Getting this upgrade done now, but because of what is involved, in my case I opted to have the install done for me.

@ctimblin
On the top right of each page is a magnifying glass or search function. Do a search on lens, and you should come up with many hits including videos on how to do it.
Some have done it them selves, others have opted to send the camera out and have it done.
Thanks BobW55, i did search, but most of the videos i have found have the screw adapter lens change. My question was specific to the newer type of lens on the Pro version.

If the lens mount has to be changed you might consider sending it out to have it done. As one that learned the hard way how fragile some of the components are on the board I found it's a lot cheaper to pay for the work than to buy another camera, something I had to do.

Reactions: yuneec53
If the lens mount has to be changed you might consider sending it out to have it done. As one that learned the hard way how fragile some of the components are on the board I found it's a lot cheaper to pay for the work than to buy another camera, something I had to do.
Apparently the early cameras had lens mounts that were not glued to the base. The current lens mounts seem to be glued in fairly well. From what I've seen the biggest problem in removing the lens mount is damaging the ribbon cable or ripping out the 4 black wires from the circuit board. A friend is sending me his to see if I can resolder the 4 wires back on the board. He did manage to get the mount replaced, so I will get a few pictures when I try to repair it. May also try to focus it before I send it back.

Good on you for trying. From experience I know the flex joint in the ribbon cable is not tolerant of twisting.

Does the PixAero Lens make a big difference. I watched the comparison video and I didn't get a wow factor.

I found this example to be pretty compelling, and went ahead to get it...
Download the 1080, and watch it on a 55"...

The differences are subtle on a small screen, but present just the same. I just received my H with the PixAero lens from CarolinaDronz and can see definite differences between it and the stock lens without yet getting outside of the living room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would hold off... there will be 3 choices available in 3 months, and by then, some comparative video...

As one that ended up buying a second camera after attempting a lens adjustment using that maximum invasive method I'll strongly suggest people don't try it. You have a choice; do it yourself, send yours out to be professionally done for a couple hundred $$ that includes buying the lens, or buy a camera to use while the one you broke is being repaired (if repair is possible, mine wasn't) for between $470.00 and $600.00.

Your call.

Despite it being cold and white outside I decided to see the differences between the stock and PixAero 3.77 lens today. Not terribly scientific but used the same settings and stationary H for each, using a stack of fruit transport bins about 50 yards away as the image subject in jpg format.

Seems the PixAero lens provides about 10%-20% magnification of the image subject over the stock lens. In very flat light and a snow covered landscape, using the Natural setting, Sunrise/Sunset and at ISO 100 and 1/400 the PixAero shifts color quite heavily towards blue. Using Auto WB brings things more back to true. A minor difference in image sharpness was present because the stock camera was set to a sharpness level of 8 while the PixAero camera is still set to the factory established level of 6. I'll upgrade that shortly. Playing with shutter speed and ISO provides some great results with the PixAero lens, but that occurs with the stock lens too. It appears the PixAero lens provides more accurate color rendition of the subject than possible with the stock lens when adjusting ISO and shutter speed.

Something those that have multiple cameras need to remember, you will need to re-bind the camera, and possibly the -16 as well, every time you change cameras. Do not even think about flying without doing that after changing cameras.

Photos posted here: CGO3+ camera quality

Something that REALLY ticks me off is this sites rejection of Yuneec JPG formatted files. Yuneec has a few things to get straightened out but for a forum that is there to discuss Yuneec products one would think it would accept Yuneec format photos. This is a deplorable failure on the part of site management.

Last edited:
Despite it being cold and white outside I decided to see the differences between the stock and PixAero 3.77 lens today. Not terribly scientific but used the same settings and stationary H for each, using a stack of fruit transport bins about 50 yards away as the image subject in jpg format.

Seems the PixAero lens provides about 10%-20% magnification of the image subject over the stock lens. In very flat light and a snow covered landscape, using the Natural setting, Sunrise/Sunset and at ISO 100 and 1/400 the PixAero shifts color quite heavily towards blue. Using Auto WB brings things more back to true. A minor difference in image sharpness was present because the stock camera was set to a sharpness level of 8 while the PixAero camera is still set to the factory established level of 6. I'll upgrade that shortly. Playing with shutter speed and ISO provides some great results with the PixAero lens, but that occurs with the stock lens too. It appears the PixAero lens provides more accurate color rendition of the subject than possible with the stock lens when adjusting ISO and shutter speed.

Something those that have multiple cameras need to remember, you will need to re-bind the camera, and possibly the -16 as well, every time you change cameras. Do not even think about flying without doing that after changing cameras.

Something that REALLY ticks me off is this sites rejection of Yuneec JPG formatted files. Yuneec has a few things to get straightened out but for a forum that is there to discuss Yuneec products one would think it would accept Yuneec format photos. This is a deplorable failure on the part of site management.
I must have missed something. What sites reject the JPG format???

File Upload Failure.jpg Just this one. Try uploading a Yuneec JPG picture to a post. The site will accept JPG format files created on a computer but not a Yuneec image file. This has been a consistent problem since the first time I visited this site, and one experienced by many others.

Reactions: NickOcean

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval