Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Reached 1 mile with Build 822

Hahaha... Now that’s literally SWEET! (Job)
Wife: Where are you going
Husband: Going to the candy store.
Wife: are you messing with your drone again?

[emoji16][emoji23][emoji12]

That's the one I was looking at! I'm not having any issues flying within the normal ranges I need to fly (up to about 2,400 feet). But always good to know what can be done to improve performance.

I'm not having any issues flying within the normal ranges

That’s a very interesting statement, and we’ve all read all the pepper scare of BLOS. Flying a drone beyond the line of sight reveals the system’s full potential. A high percentage that’s working in the field will tell you that they have lost visual of the drone at some point, including myself.

Test flying at a certain distance, or behind buildings as structural inspectors often do, we are always collecting health information, and constantly rating the performance of our drone(s) and if the vitals are questionable, we prepare to build a contingency plan, address critical problems if any, we buy upgrades to enhance our tool(s) so they can be safe and reliable.

Sharing valuable data and field report from beyond the hover and comfort zone is a selfless act versus “if it’s not happening to me, tough luck” specially in our Yuneec community, where sharing is caring.

You missed my point. I get why you push out as far as you can, and I could not care less if you are BVLOS. That is your decision to make. I simply cannot see mine well enough beyond around 2,500 feet well enough to be confident flying it. I have yet to have any connection issues, does not mean others have not or that there are not things that can be done to improve connectivity. I probably fly more conservatively than you do. We each do what suits us the best.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Today is go time for Build 822 and RS reshielding, after a long testing period over the weekend. Build 222 is holding up, without any hiccups, even with low 7 to 8 satellite connectivity.

IMG_1220.jpg

This build is good, I’ve mentioned in the past, but it still needs to be looked at and re-eval. for overall performance, now that we are finding out about the RS noise one of the biggest interference contributor.

Happy Monday everyone, and have a safe flight.

@RPR it is rock solid after the shield mod.
Was out this morning to film yet another bridge and didn't experience any lag or signal loss even at a 1000 meter. I can only recommend any with an RS module to do this mod even if you only have a piece of chocolate paper to make it with ;)

@RPR it is rock solid after the shield mod.
Was out this morning to film yet another bridge and didn't experience any lag or signal loss even at a 1000 meter. I can only recommend any with an RS module to do this mod even if you only have a piece of chocolate paper to make it with ;)
sweet!

Without getting deep into the distance side of VLOS, in the commercial inspection field it’s quite common for the PIC to lose sight of the aircraft, which can occur for various reasons for considerable portions of a flight. It is a necessity to have a good VO that understands the operation and more importantly have established effective and instantly recognizable communications between the PIC and VO.

There can be, and will be, times when the situation requires relatively long distance flight in order to overcome obstacles that prevent the flight crew from close access to the subject. Public safety can and does actually benefit from properly executed operations of this type. In such cases the preflight planning is critical to safety of flight. Filing a NOTAM, obtaining a LAANC authorization, clearing the airspace with authorities, coordinating with other agencies that often have control over others that could impact the flight are things to consider. A CoA filing might be necessary.

So although maintaining VLOS might appear on the surface as a “cut and dried” condition that is never abridged, it does happen, and often does so with the aircraft well within a normal vision distance. But it does require an attitude of professionalism and safety, with lots of “outs” established prior to a flight should anything not go right.

Does this copper shielding mod affect the functionality of the RS or just block internal interference?

All the RS communication protocols travel through hard wires. There’s nothing done via wifi or other broadcast methods between the sensors and the module.

EMI shield. A “noisy” assembly of components perhaps. Being that would follow the way all that has gone before. The entire main board and GPS/compass assemblies were not for the most part set up with any real thought for heat, EMI/RMI protection. There was a little thought given to serviceability though. Maybe they knew what was coming?

Reactions: Phaedrus
@PatR I want to edit the .exec manifesto, and I think, I am almost there.
Question: With your broad knowledge, and indepth understanding, with drones, specially as a builder yourself, I know you have programmed Pixie Hawk, and I know you have probably experienced editing and cloning parameters in the past, due to you vast background. My question is this. How can I edit the Yuneec "apk" manifesto ".exec" file? Yuneec is using PX4 Pixhawk 4 FMUv5 Autopilot with NEO-M8N GNSS and Power Management Board. I cannot find the com bridge. (I cannot get pass this...... #define ST24_TARGET_MIN 1000.0f)

EMI shield. A “noisy” assembly of components perhaps. Being that would follow the way all that has gone before. The entire main board and GPS/compass assemblies were not for the most part set up with any real thought for heat, EMI/RMI protection. There was a little thought given to serviceability though. Maybe they knew what was coming?

Seems right. 5 pounds of electronics in a 2 pound bag!!

Does this copper shielding mod affect the functionality of the RS or just block internal interference?
It just blocks the interference signal

I am very happy, with the performance of my H Plus. I have gone behind structures, with ease. As for build 822, it has also been solid. No more ascending symptoms, no more unexpected glitches as I was having before.

The mod really took care of it.

Which amazing because 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz RF is not known for penetrating very well through buildings.

It has been day and night for me, I can quickly deploy my H Plus, and able to fly it, with as little satellite to RC, with utmost confidence.

RPR,

I don't have any answers for you as I have not worked directly with PX4 at all. Even with APM and Pixhawk I simply made minor alterations to system settings or imported features designed and already proven by others. I never did any code work. If my life depended on writing code I'd be a dead man. Not having worked with Yuneec's version of PX4 I'm not at all surprised you haven't been able to find a comm bridge as it was blocked in their Pixhawk based FC's, turning them into "closed" systems.

The ST-24 line baffles me as well, especially since anything related to the ST-24 was dropped in late 2017.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval