Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Trees and antenna interference

Reaction score
When trees are in full bloom and your flying at 125 ft to 200 feet high and your at ground level, at a distance of 800 feet out and the screen on your controller starts breaking up with stock antennas.
Does anyone know of other antennas that can alleviate this problem ?

Reactions: nickwalter14
Objects bloc signal, not the antenna. The antenna radiates regardless if what’s in front of it. 5.8 is short wave length snd easily blocked. The power level used is not conducive to long range use. Maintain a clear signal path between the aircraft and controller.

Reactions: rdonson
Hi I have the H with 3 antennas and Real sense... Can anyone give a reliable answer to maximum distance before signal loss.. assuming LOS of course, and good weather conditions.

using the stock antennas .. square one works much better if you get flat side to face drone. round one i get you can use too but i have found at least %25 -%35 less than Square stock antenna.

using the stock antennas .. square one works much better if you get flat side to face drone. round one i get you can use too but i have found at least %25 -%35 less than Square stock antenna.
Would it help to use a directional antenna like a DBS/Itelite pointed to the H if there is trees obstructing the H?

Would it help to use a directional antenna like a DBS/Itelite pointed to the H if there is trees obstructing the H?

As far as I know, Itelite increases unobstructed range, not increased signal through an obstruction. I believe this is a function of the frequency of the wireless signals we use, both in control and video. Other wavelengths such as gamma rays, pass through obstructions quite effortlessly.

I have a few drones and my Mavic Pro is my best long distance one is still hit hard by trees . In the open without trees I can get over 4 miles and have a good live feed on my screen . Out in the bush with tree cover the range has been as low as 1800 feet . So I don’t think much will help if there is heavy tree cover .

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
And what about the best batteries for long distance use you on the typhoon batteries new origins it is 17 minutes of flight

Hi
Interesting I'm going to try the square one because I do also have that one.
Okay I just got done mounting the square one on my other st16 controller.
Thanks for the info I will give that a shot this evening to see how it does. If it helps I will be sure to let you know thank you.
Keith Kuhn

And what about the best batteries for long distance use you on the typhoon batteries new origins it is 17 minutes of flight

The problem here is what is the largest battery that will fit the frame case for a Typhoon H. “Best” is not a good term when using proprietary design batteries as we don’t have any way to establish cell quality of what we are being provided. What we usually get are the cells a manufacturer can obtain the most profit from at the price they are sold at, which are never “best” quality.

Ultimately, batteries with the highest mA rating will provide the most flight time but even that has caveats. If the “C” rating of the battery is too low for the demand placed on it a higher mA rating can end up providing less flight time than a lower mA, higher C rated battery. Confusing that a little more is Yuneec classifies their H battery at a lower mA count than it actually is, which is in reality 6300mA. For general purposes just about all the 6300mA batteries from different sellers of standard LiPo cell chemistry intended to fit a Typhoon H are very close to each other in flight time performance. The only real difference is their selling price, although some manufacturers may use really cheap cells that have short useful lives. They work fine for awhile but start to degrade after a relatively few use cycles. The quest for a “stock” type battery that will fit the H while providing substantially more flight time economically is sort of like chasing rainbows; you’ll spend a lot of money trying different brands but never find a pot of a lot more flight time.

There is only so much energy efficiency available for batteries at our level and the chemical physics involved at the price point dictates they will all be fairly close to equal. If we want substantially more flight time we have to use a larger, heavier battery, one that will not fit in the framed case used for the Typhoon H. A personal decision would have to be made to dispose of the case and retention method and employ a battery that did not use the case. Alternative battery connections would be necessary that would require modification of the aircraft body, along with a different means of securing the battery in the airframe. Bear in mind that as battery weight increases the system requires more power to carry the extra weight, which in turn reduces the amount of additional flight time a larger battery would provide. So larger batteries and extra flight time is never a linear equation. There can also be issues with flight stability if heavy batteries are used. Experimenting with batteries can be a delicate balance between size, weight, flight time, and power consumption, especially when working with flight systems having marginal thrust level “overhead”. Should you choose to experiment, use batteries with a C rating of between 15 and 25 for the Typhoon H.

The problem here is what is the largest battery that will fit the frame case for a Typhoon H. “Best” is not a good term when using proprietary design batteries as we don’t have any way to establish cell quality of what we are being provided. What we usually get are the cells a manufacturer can obtain the most profit from at the price they are sold at, which are never “best” quality.

Ultimately, batteries with the highest mA rating will provide the most flight time but even that has caveats. If the “C” rating of the battery is too low for the demand placed on it a higher mA rating can end up providing less flight time than a lower mA, higher C rated battery. Confusing that a little more is Yuneec classifies their H battery at a lower mA count than it actually is, which is in reality 6300mA. For general purposes just about all the 6300mA batteries from different sellers of standard LiPo cell chemistry intended to fit a Typhoon H are very close to each other in flight time performance. The only real difference is their selling price, although some manufacturers may use really cheap cells that have short useful lives. They work fine for awhile but start to degrade after a relatively few use cycles. The quest for a “stock” type battery that will fit the H while providing substantially more flight time economically is sort of like chasing rainbows; you’ll spend a lot of money trying different brands but never find a pot of a lot more flight time.

There is only so much energy efficiency available for batteries at our level and the chemical physics involved at the price point dictates they will all be fairly close to equal. If we want substantially more flight time we have to use a larger, heavier battery, one that will not fit in the framed case used for the Typhoon H. A personal decision would have to be made to dispose of the case and retention method and employ a battery that did not use the case. Alternative battery connections would be necessary that would require modification of the aircraft body, along with a different means of securing the battery in the airframe. Bear in mind that as battery weight increases the system requires more power to carry the extra weight, which in turn reduces the amount of additional flight time a larger battery would provide. So larger batteries and extra flight time is never a linear equation. There can also be issues with flight stability if heavy batteries are used. Experimenting with batteries can be a delicate balance between size, weight, flight time, and power consumption, especially when working with flight systems having marginal thrust level “overhead”. Should you choose to experiment, use batteries with a C rating of between 15 and 25 for the Typhoon H.

Since somebody mentioned batteries. I have a question I wonder if somebody can answer this please.
Yuneec is sending me another typhoon H camera battery and props,
Because I had a fly away and it was under warranty.
how will I be able to tell if the battery is brand new or slightly used or whatever ?
also how would I tell if the Drone was refurbished or brand new or done over with used parts ?
Thanks Keith Kuhn

Yuneec does not take used batteries back and only ships new batteries. There’s a massive liability issue for people that ship used batteries. If something happens with a battery in transit the shipper owns all the damages. In short you’ll receive a new battery.

The new ir refurbished aircraft thing is a little different. If a used aircraft was properly refurbished it would in all probability be a better choice than a new one as it was fully checked out by a factory trained technician. A brand new H likely comes out of the assembly process, gets a few quick table checks, and goes into a box for shipment. Since the warranty is the same I don’t see an issue with a refurb. Chit can happen new or refurb. Not saying luck of the draw is involved but I tend to like things that have been well checked out.

As for telling the difference, if Yuneec purges all the tel files and photos from a used ST-16 and the camera SD card there’s really no way to tell unless some of the components show wear and tear. Check the files after receiving it. If they are clear except for a few files generated at the Yuneec factory location it’s likely brand new. If there’s a bunch of files and photos in there it’s a used unit.

Last edited:
Yuneec does not take used batteries back and only ships new batteries. There’s a massive liability issue for people that ship used batteries. If something happens with a battery in transit the shipper owns all the damages. In short you’ll receive a new battery.

The new ir refurbished aircraft thing is a little different. If a used aircraft was properly refurbished it would in all probability be a better choice than a new one as it was fully checked out by a factory trained technician. A brand new H likely comes out of the assembly process, gets a few quick table checks, and foes into a box for shipment. Since the warranty is the same I don’t see an issue with a refurb. Chit can happen new or refurb. Bot saying luck of the draw is involved but I tend to like things that have been well checked out.

As for telling the difference, if Yuneec purges all the tel files and photos from a used ST-16 and the camera SD card there’s really no way to tell unless some of the components show wear and tear. Check the files after receiving it. If they are clear except for a few files generated at the Yuneec factory location it’s likely brand new. If there’s a bunch of files and photos in there it’s a used unit.

Let me explain further Pat.
I had a fly away which ended up in the bottom of the river 20 feet down.
I still have the st16, so what you're sending me as a drone props battery and Camera.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SsHunter1401sS