Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H officially discontinued

No, I have been comprehensively deceived there by the looks of it ! :) Despite being assured by the guy on the phone that they came in 'towards the end of last year' I get the delivery unwrapped to find the manufacture date on the box has been obscured with a sharpie, presumably in an attempt to make sure I don't see it ! But he forgot to do the labels inside the packs themselves and so I see these 2 were manufactured Sept 2016.

Other than that they look perfect, and I haven't charged them yet, so don't know how they behave. What would we expect to see from packs that old, and do any of you consider them unsafe to fly ?
Just follow the LiPo care regime widely talked about on here. Should be fine.as long as there not puffy. But get them into storage charge ASAP.

What is considered to puffy to use?
Probably about 10mm when you push the sleeving with a finger, or difficultly removing battery, but you use them for on the ground calibration etc. I don't think there's a set level,everyone has to be there own judge, since it's there copter.

My 2 packs with 200+ flights on them have got about 2-3 mm puff - still well inside the frame. I did make the mistake of using the factory charger for the first month, but care of them has been better since, and that minor puffing I have got doesn't seem to be getting worse fast. On the other hand, the morpilot pack I have, which has only ever been charged via a proper balance charger remains as flat as the day I bought it 40 flights later.

My 2 packs with 200+ flights on them have got about 2-3 mm puff - still well inside the frame. I did make the mistake of using the factory charger for the first month, but care of them has been better since, and that minor puffing I have got doesn't seem to be getting worse fast. On the other hand, the morpilot pack I have, which has only ever been charged via a proper balance charger remains as flat as the day I bought it 40 flights later.
There you go the results speak for themselves, I know some people don't like originals, but it's still a pretty good battery.

Aside from being priced much too high for what they are the factory batteries do well.

If we did a little research we would find that most all the after market batteries for the H in 6300mA class have provided functional flight times within just a couple of minutes of the factory H battery. The flight time differences when reviewed over 25 or so flights on each battery fall within the standard deviation we could expect from differences in flight loads and weather. Only the 8000mA GiFi exceeded that time and even then has only provided a couple extra minutes over the highest time 6300mA batteries.

From that research we might conclude that all of the batteries that have been made available for the Typhoon H have been similar in performance while they all may well have shared a common cell manufacturer. The only real difference between most of them has been in how they have been priced.

There has been a couple of exceptions that initially performed about the same as the factory battery but have demonstrated a much shorter useful life based upon user comments but we can’t make a useful determination about a shorter useful life due to the many influences users introduce via use style and maintenance practices. Toss in inconsistent test and documentation practices that influence overall test results and the only conclusion we can arrive at is they are all about the same.

The one factor we can be absolutely certain of is that all the proprietary shell batteries are produced as cheaply as possible to provide the highest possible profit after manufacturing and distribution costs have been recovered. That would imply that battery cells have not been of the highest quality as they cost more.

Aside from being priced much too high for what they are the factory batteries do well.

If we did a little research we would find that most all the after market batteries for the H in 6300mA class have provided functional flight times within just a couple of minutes of the factory H battery. The flight time differences when reviewed over 25 or so flights on each battery fall within the standard deviation we could expect from differences in flight loads and weather. Only the 8000mA GiFi exceeded that time and even then has only provided a couple extra minutes over the highest time 6300mA batteries.

From that research we might conclude that all of the batteries that have been made available for the Typhoon H have been similar in performance while they all may well have shared a common cell manufacturer. The only real difference between most of them has been in how they have been priced.

There has been a couple of exceptions that initially performed about the same as the factory battery but have demonstrated a much shorter useful life based upon user comments but we can’t make a useful determination about a shorter useful life due to the many influences users introduce via use style and maintenance practices. Toss in inconsistent test and documentation practices that influence overall test results and the only conclusion we can arrive at is they are all about the same.

The one factor we can be absolutely certain of is that all the proprietary shell batteries are produced as cheaply as possible to provide the highest possible profit after manufacturing and distribution costs have been recovered. That would imply that battery cells have not been of the highest quality as they cost more.
Can't comment on US batteries but there too close here to take a risk for me, and Ultrax aren't available. Where you live in the world makes difference.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190614-213908.png
    Screenshot_20190614-213908.png
    381.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20190614-213850.png
    Screenshot_20190614-213850.png
    489.8 KB · Views: 13
This whole thing sucks! There is no reason why they should leave us in the cold. To stop making the H is one thing but there is no reason why they can't keep making batteries for all us who own them. Bad business

This whole thing sucks! There is no reason why they should leave us in the cold. To stop making the H is one thing but there is no reason why they can't keep making batteries for all us who own them. Bad business
Do you have a link where it says batteries are discontinued officially or is it speculation?

Stands to reason they would be ended.

Looks like I finally have to get busy in developing a battery adaptation tutorial. There’s absolutely no shortage of batteries for a long time to come. Just a shortage of desire by some to do things differently.

There’s nothing proprietary about the battery design, only the stupidly expensive plastic box it sits in and the factory charger circuitry. Both of which can be dispensed with.

How do you know there are no shortage of batteries? I just bought all that I could find for the q and the h. From a place I know but if you can tell us a place and whatever it takes please let us know.

Agreed. One of the single most annoying things about most consumer drones is how they tie you into using ONLY their batteries. I can get a super high quality 4S 6,000 mAh pack for $100. You can get decent packs of that size for $70.

How do you know there are no shortage of batteries? I just bought all that I could find for the q and the h. From a place I know but if you can tell us a place and whatever it takes please let us know.

There is no shortage of 4S 5000Mah (and up) LiPo batteries. . . . . . . that can be adapted from the plethora of hobby batteries available all around the world. What @PatR is saying is that; one only needs to be able to make the connection possible as opposed to using the batteries that are nestled into the plastic mating case as designed by Yuneec and copied by all aftermarket suppliers of Yuneec Typhoon H batteries.

There is no shortage of 4S 5000Mah (and up) LiPo batteries. . . . . . . that can be adapted from the plethora of hobby batteries available all around the world. What @PatR is saying is that; one only needs to be able to make the connection possible as opposed to using the batteries that are nestled into the plastic mating case as designed by Yuneec and copied by all aftermarket suppliers of Yuneec Typhoon H batteries.

^^^^Exactly!!!^^^

For those that haven’t figured it out, Chroma, Q, H, H+, and 520 have only two battery connection points; a positive and a negative. All those other little connectors for cell balancing do not connect to or used for anything in the aircraft. Once people understand this their battery dilemmas become a non issue.

So, how many batteries have a positive and a negative terminal? All of them, right? So all a correct voltage battery needs to do is fit the dimensions of the hole and fall within an acceptable weight range. Once secured in place the aircraft can’t tell the difference.

I know that but the point is there is no reason to not continue making batteries for a drone that is so popular. I don't care if it's made in Newark or Portland me. The folks like me who don't know or don't care about scientific jiberish should be able to just get something reasonable without taking a course at MIT.

From a planned obsolescence standpoint their is ample reason for discontinuing a battery supply. People don’t buy nee models when they can be satisfied flying what they already have. Discontinue the power supply and they are easily enticed to buy new equipment, which is precisely the way the drone market has functioned this far. A constant release of new models only marginally better than the last, yet people line up to buy the next model before fully utilizing the capabilities of the previous version.

We should not need a course from MIT to figure this out, just a basic understanding of a herd mentality and basic advertising/sales methodology. Make the customer aware they have a problem, provide them a solution for the problem at a price they can afford.

So here we have two “problems”; the model is discontinued and batteries do not seem to be available. How to resolve those problems? Buy a newer model, of course, despite the fact the current model functions well. Once the warranty expires the maker owes us nothing. It’s not personal, just business.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytingarden1