Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Update 1.3 - 1 March 2018

A couple of things...

1) I regularly get 20-24 minute flights bringing the batteries down to 25%.
2) Don't most wide-angle lenses typically have edge distortion?
3) this distortion shouldn't have a very large effect on orthorectifying and stitching the photos
4) to the point above, I'm producing some pretty good results when mapping

I'm a little baffled by all the negativity; I bought what seems like a rock solid hexacopter and a decent camera for $3300. Does it fit every use case? No, but then no drone does.

Getting 24 minutes means you haven't moved for a long time. Time counts for flight, doesn't it? Not since you started the drone. It seems to me a lot, effective flight, without being an aggressive flight I think 24 minutes is a lot. But I'd love for it to be like that ;)

The distortion of the E90 is very pronounced. I don't think you buy any camera from any manufacturer with that distortion and consider it acceptable. Apart from the fact that a product had been advertised without that problem :confused:

With the E90 images I have done 3D surveys and the results are acceptable, not without problems. In fact, for the time being, I have a project that I have had to discard because I have not managed to achieve good results. Something that wouldn't have happened to me with another camera. The time invested to get it done has been a lot of time, which is a big loss of money, so in the end not to get ahead :mad:

I think it's up to Yuneec to fix it. We are not the ones who have to deal with problems caused by a product without proper and announced quality.

Finally got the chance to fly my H520 with the new 1.3 firmware yesterday, due to the weather being terrible.
Noticed in GPS the take off is now a little more aggressive, gives the impression that it wants to jump into the air. My H520 has never wanted to fly in a straight line for the first few minutes of any flight since I have had it and the level horizon calibration that should have fixed the problem in the advanced ST16s menu did not work. After the update this calibration now does work and now my H520 flies straight as an arrow, very pleased with this. My gimbal doesn't appear to have the vibration issue some other owner have had, but I did follow Martin Mass's suggestion of downgrading the firmware and then upgrading again. The GPS flight mode now seems to be smoother and not as jerky as it was before the firmware update. I don't like the new vivid colour setting on the E90 camera, makes colour too unrealistic, still prefer unprocessed and adjust colours etc in post. The lens distortion has been improved a bit but in my opinion still needs lots of work for my liking. Battery level on the H520 now works much better and appears much more accurate. For some reason the St16s battery according to the level shown in Datapilot is discharging at a quicker rate than before.
Hopefully we will see more improvement over the next few updates and maybe a few more features, POI or ROI would be very useful.

We might want to remember the 520 was not released as a camera drone, but as a mapping, inspection, and LEA applications rig. As such it works fine. Unfortunately the vast majority of Yuneec’s customers don’t participate in those fields. To me the 520 falls in the same category as cutting off your nose to spite your face.

It would have been a good addition to an existing product line up but as the centerpiece that supplants all previous products it’s a total failure.

It’s all about the camera/payload. There’s no reason to have an aerial platform otherwise. Yuneec best be praying the H+ works as advertised comingbout the door and the cameras deliver the image quality at least equal to all the 1” sensor, 20Mpxl cameras in the class currently deliver. If they don’t, they are done.

We might want to remember the 520 was not released as a camera drone, but as a mapping, inspection, and LEA applications rig. As such it works fine. Unfortunately the vast majority of Yuneec’s customers don’t participate in those fields. To me the 520 falls in the same category as cutting off your nose to spite your face.

It would have been a good addition to an existing product line up but as the centerpiece that supplants all previous products it’s a total failure.

It’s all about the camera/payload. There’s no reason to have an aerial platform otherwise.

PatR,

(Disclaimer: my memories are mine; doesn’t mean they are fully accurate!)

I don’t recall reading anything hinting the H520 was to supplant anything. Instead, it was to be the flagship or at least the reason to create a Yuneec commercial segment.

The H Plus supplants the H480. To that I agree.

I never expected the H520 to replace the H480 (feature sets).

As you state, the H520 does what it was meant to do, though with some refinements still pending. The H Plus, if it lives up to its press clippings, compliments the line-up of the H480 lineage.

I am looking forward to having both in my fleet, for each to do what each does best. Just hope the revenue comes in to pay for both so I don’t have to take up residence in the garage!

Jeff

Reactions: 10-8
Here is the brochure I DL'd last summer, a few months before release. I don't remember anything prior to this, but there may have been.

Attachments

• Yuneec H520 Cut Sheet.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
There
Here is the brochure I DL'd last summer, a few months before release. I don't remember anything prior to this, but there may have been.
there was a whole section on the european and american websites about using it for broadcast media and cinematography, but was removed very quickly after the complaints started

Reactions: Graham
If you want the text, here it is.
Because Yuneec's principle swells me too.
I do not like liars and usurpers either.
Yuneec Ciméma.jpg

The H520 will confidently fly a series of complex movements....
I would like to know how he gets there, not even being able to make a road in a circle

Last edited:
PatR,

(Disclaimer: my memories are mine; doesn’t mean they are fully accurate!)

I don’t recall reading anything hinting the H520 was to supplant anything. Instead, it was to be the flagship or at least the reason to create a Yuneec commercial segment.

The H Plus supplants the H480. To that I agree.

I never expected the H520 to replace the H480 (feature sets).

As you state, the H520 does what it was meant to do, though with some refinements still pending. The H Plus, if it lives up to its press clippings, compliments the line-up of the H480 lineage.

I am looking forward to having both in my fleet, for each to do what each does best. Just hope the revenue comes in to pay for both so I don’t have to take up residence in the garage!

Jeff

Fair enough. I only hope they live up to the expectations they've promoted at CES. The H Plus has tremendous opportunity to be a platform that allows them to at least catch up to the competition's video performance levels. Being a completely customer owned system it has the opportunity to surpass the competition if but a little advance planning and effort is expended in assuring everything works as advertised. Toss a little work into SDK apps and they could have a killer machine. But if they remove any of the H-480's functionality they will have taken a step back for every one forward.

Make no mistake, my hopes are that Yuneec does things right. They're due.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
Please check this page - Application Areas - Yuneec

When you buy a cabriolet car and roof does not go down do you then hope and wait for a year for the car manufacturer to fix your car?

People are getting payed for beta-testing, we've purchased H520 and are doing testing for Yuneec free of charge.

This product was released as not ready, simple as that. Now if someone is only doing mapping and is happy with H520 that's fine, but please don't tell the rest of us to wait or be happy with what we've got. This is not fit for purpose product.

Even the latest update mentions that horizon got fixed "E90: Distortion free horizon" while it's still bad so another lie. So, they're aware of the issue but failed to fix it.

Why? Because developers are now working on H+. Yes, they might share some components, but all work is now on H+ to release it and SELL it.

Can we not get together and storm Yuneec in some way?

In UK the product can be returned within 6 months. - Return faulty goods

"Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, goods should be of a satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described. My rights have been breached because the item you sold me is faulty. I would like a refund/repair/replacement."

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-01-03 23.22.42.png
    Screenshot 2018-01-03 23.22.42.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
I've just requested a full refund and want to return H520, E90 and CGO-ET. Will let you know what Yuneec UK comes back with.

I don’t believe people are beta testing at all. That had been done with the 520 by independent users but they marketed a different platform from what they had allowed to be advertised by the beta testers. They know precisely what they are doing. I call it deception.

In any case, Yuneec missed his copy with this H520 and promised things that are not. If I was a future buyer of H +, just by reading this part of the forum, I would see the case immediately and go elsewhere for a purchase.
It may turn against them. How to believe that the H + will be able to do all that they announced on it. No news, no demonstration videos nothing that leaves present the hypothetical potential of this device.
Knowing more that it's the same platform PX4, how to put on an H + what an H520 can not have. And how to believe them and still have confidence?

Read also on sales sites:
The Yuneec H520 will come integrated with Intel RealSense Technology. This technology is akin to giving a drone eyes. It can create a virtual 3D model of the environment around it, allowing it to recognize potential obstacles and draw the most efficient flight path.

The best part about RealSense is that it learns from ‘experience.’ The more you fly the drone, the better it gets at obstacle avoidance. It cannot run into the same obstacle twice, and it continually enhances its flight path and maneuvers.

RealSense technology is a big deal for commercial drone operators. You’ll most likely be flying in areas with plenty of obstacles. Without any sort of obstacle detection system, you’d find yourself focusing more on the flying than the imagery you are supposed to be taking.

RealSense allows a hands-off approach. Combined with smart flight features, these technology pilots the drone safely without requiring your constant attention.

Last edited:
No Matter what it can or cannot do. The E90 camera is probably the worst 1inch sensor sized camera on the market for UAV use. I could care less if you are a Optical genius and know cameras inside Out. I am not. And I can see problems. So. It has to be wrong. If I can see the distortion plain as Day. Then the distortion is there. Anyone can tell me I am wrong, but I have pictures to prove it. A DJI Mavic can take a better picture. And for anyone who says it works good forto mapping. Show me you work to prove it. And tell me how easy a job it was. Anyone I know trying to stitch images for mapping and 3d rendering is having nothing but headaches. I have yet to see one really good example of it. ****. I done my own, and that the best I have seen from it.

FB_IMG_1521118575417.jpg https://sketchfab.com/models/e595c4a8a7c64a878c46b0b67a3831feFB_IMG_1521118575417.jpg

Claudius,

It’s quite probable a properly designed RealSense could possess the AI necessary to generate “situational awareness”. It already exists at various levels if sophistication in a couple of flight controllers. Pixhawk can self tune for stability and one I can’t name has the ability to self adapt to any type of platform it’s installed in after basic plan forms have been input. It improves flight performance every time it flies.

The technology is available it’s just a matter of properly employing it.

No Matter what it can or cannot do. The E90 camera is probably the worst 1inch sensor sized camera on the market for UAV use. I could care less if you are a Optical genius and know cameras inside Out. I am not. And I can see problems. So. It has to be wrong. If I can see the distortion plain as Day. Then the distortion is there. Anyone can tell me I am wrong, but I have pictures to prove it. A DJI Mavic can take a better picture. And for anyone who says it works good forto mapping. Show me you work to prove it. And tell me how easy a job it was. Anyone I know trying to stitch images for mapping and 3d rendering is having nothing but headaches. I have yet to see one really good example of it. ****. I done my own, and that the best I have seen from it.

View attachment 8906 https://sketchfab.com/models/e595c4a8a7c64a878c46b0b67a3831feView attachment 8906
Only because you asked. I have done several maps with no issues in stitching.and using the images untouched. Pix4D Pricing Structures
Would certainly like to see distortion problems fixed and better color. Hopefully that is coming sooner rather than later.

Claudius,

It’s quite probable a properly designed RealSense could possess the AI necessary to generate “situational awareness”. It already exists at various levels if sophistication in a couple of flight controllers. Pixhawk can self tune for stability and one I can’t name has the ability to self adapt to any type of platform it’s installed in after basic plan forms have been input. It improves flight performance every time it flies.

The technology is available it’s just a matter of properly employing it.

... and paying for it!

Looking forward to each advancement and enjoying current capabilities as much as possible, rather than focusing on shortcomings.

... and paying for it!

Looking forward to each advancement and enjoying current capabilities as much as possible, rather than focusing on shortcomings.
Looking forward. Ha. We have been looking forward for 6 months now with NO real improvement. The H520/E90 machine and Camera is a joke. It is not even funny now. Complete waste of time. I feel sick to my teeth with this piece of scrap. That's all this machine is good for right now. Unless it sees a massive improvement very soon, I will be done with Yuneec for good. It's a heap of Junk.

There seems to be a pattern on this forum... namely people come here with questions and to share insights and then a small number of people repeatedly say the same things about the E90 and PX4.

It's slightly painful to wade through the same comments from the same people EVERY DAY in order to find useful information. Just my two cents but I think it's kinda driving people to not post here.

View attachment 8906 https://sketchfab.com/models/e595c4a8a7c64a878c46b0b67a3831feView attachment 8906
Did this a couple weeks ago to simulate a Crime Scene for a department. 65 mages stitched from a survey at just 65' altitude.
uc

And this is a close up of the rocks in the top left of the above image..
uc

Reactions: AK Vet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430