Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Update 1.3 - 1 March 2018

I haven't 'fixed' the clips, just trimmed to size. Stock filter, so very fast shutter speed which is apparent at times.:D

Reactions: arruntus
Curvature seems slightly better for me with the update, but there is still more than you could actually give to a client, so post work will be required to make anything usable. Vivid mode looks high impact at full res but even a slight amount of zoom will show how much sharpness is lost using this colour enhancement, so again not something you can really use for anything other than low res web images, best to shoot natural or unprocessed and enhance in post. Not really noticed any battery improvement, still not getting anywhere near the 25+ minutes with the E90 as advertised originally. The most annoying thing about the update for me (other than missing the promised ROI mode) is that it has now introduced gimbal shudder that I never had before. When panning with the camera at certain angles there is a recorded image shudder on playback. This is just ridiculous and I hope we don't have to wait another 6 months for this to be rectified but I am not overly confident on that.

Dave,

Are you able to observe the gimbal vibration on the table? That is, motors off, panning?

Curious at what angle your vibrations start.

Thanks!

Jeff

P.S. hopefully you have read my earlier posts regarding my current same issue, but with E50, and prior to the 1.3 related DataPilot update.

Curvature seems slightly better for me with the update, but there is still more than you could actually give to a client, so post work will be required to make anything usable. Vivid mode looks high impact at full res but even a slight amount of zoom will show how much sharpness is lost using this colour enhancement, so again not something you can really use for anything other than low res web images, best to shoot natural or unprocessed and enhance in post. Not really noticed any battery improvement, still not getting anywhere near the 25+ minutes with the E90 as advertised originally. The most annoying thing about the update for me (other than missing the promised ROI mode) is that it has now introduced gimbal shudder that I never had before. When panning with the camera at certain angles there is a recorded image shudder on playback. This is just ridiculous and I hope we don't have to wait another 6 months for this to be rectified but I am not overly confident on that.
Mostly good points, except the statement "there is still more than you could actually give to a client". That is certainly going to depend on the client. Certainly for high end or some commercial work, but not for a great deal of the consumer/business market. You would be surprised at how many people you have to point out the curvature to. There is still a great deal of work done with GoPro cameras which have an even more pronounced issue. Even many of the reality show aerials I notice it, but the average person watching will not. So, are there clients that will demand that 'curvature' not be there? Yes, of course. But many will not if the target of the video/photo is properly represented. But I also find that photographers & videographers are the tougher critic. There are also very few professionals that will deliver any photo/video without going through some post work unless the client demands only the raw work, in which case they will be doing there own post work.

Mostly good points, except the statement "there is still more than you could actually give to a client". That is certainly going to depend on the client. Certainly for high end or some commercial work, but not for a great deal of the consumer/business market. You would be surprised at how many people you have to point out the curvature to. There is still a great deal of work done with GoPro cameras which have an even more pronounced issue. Even many of the reality show aerials I notice it, but the average person watching will not. So, are there clients that will demand that 'curvature' not be there? Yes, of course. But many will not if the target of the video/photo is properly represented. But I also find that photographers & videographers are the tougher critic. There are also very few professionals that will deliver any photo/video without going through some post work unless the client demands only the raw work, in which case they will be doing there own post work.

That paragraph almost sounds like a paragraph of defence to justify let’s face it a crap camera. I’m sorry but you would have to be blind not to see the huge distortion in a camera that is overpriced by double what it should cost. Now if the C23 is based on this E90 which it is you will need to do a lot more defending. If and only if people buy the H+ after the shambles with this 520. 6 months and let’s face it there is no improvement. Not from my professional eye anyway but then I’m not just joe bloggs being wooooed by the centre 2/3 of the screen. I would be embarrassed to charge any client for the quality that comes out of that camera. Hence why all my commercial work is still done by the superb excellent phantom 4 pro which is reliable and takes outstanding video and photos. Something that the 520 was originally advertised as.

That paragraph almost sounds like a paragraph of defence to justify let’s face it a crap camera. I’m sorry but you would have to be blind not to see the huge distortion in a camera that is overpriced by double what it should cost. Now if the C23 is based on this E90 which it is you will need to do a lot more defending. If and only if people buy the H+ after the shambles with this 520. 6 months and let’s face it there is no improvement. Not from my professional eye anyway but then I’m not just joe bloggs being wooooed by the centre 2/3 of the screen. I would be embarrassed to charge any client for the quality that comes out of that camera. Hence why all my commercial work is still done by the superb excellent phantom 4 pro which is reliable and takes outstanding video and photos. Something that the 520 was originally advertised as.
OK. Thanks.. Me: "But I also find that photographers & videographers are the tougher critic." You: "Not from my professional eye anyway". I don't think I have ever called the e90 an exceptional or great camera. And who is 'Joe Bloggs'? My point, in case you missed it, was only that the camera needs to fit the demands of the client, not the photographer, since the client knows when they are happy with the product they are paying for. I have 4 different drones with 6 different cameras; from GP4BK to Sony a6300 with zoom lens, IR, NIR &RGB. And each has a place depending on the client's needs. And the e90, even with it's faults, can serve many clients needs. Even Michael Bay, in a recent major motion picture, used 4min of footage from a GoPro taken at night for the climax/ending of the film. (I wonder if he noticed the 'curvature'). I'm only saying that no camera is perfect and will work for every situation, including the P4 which would also need be allowed on many jobs by DPs who consider it a 'crap camera'.

OK. Thanks.. Me: "But I also find that photographers & videographers are the tougher critic." You: "Not from my professional eye anyway". I don't think I have ever called the e90 an exceptional or great camera. And who is 'Joe Bloggs'? My point, in case you missed it, was only that the camera needs to fit the demands of the client, not the photographer, since the client knows when they are happy with the product they are paying for. I have 4 different drones with 6 different cameras; from GP4BK to Sony a6300 with zoom lens, IR, NIR &RGB. And each has a place depending on the client's needs. And the e90, even with it's faults, can serve many clients needs. Even Michael Bay, in a recent major motion picture, used 4min of footage from a GoPro taken at night for the climax/ending of the film. (I wonder if he noticed the 'curvature'). I'm only saying that no camera is perfect and will work for every situation, including the P4 which would also need be allowed on many jobs by DPs who consider it a 'crap camera'.

Ok 10-8
Joe Bloggs is an English term for anybody. Much like your John Doe for a dead person unknown name.
Come on you have to admit the E90 falls way below expectations.
Ok so the Yuneec devs are working on it but it sure needs some huge improvements
Maybe with fingers crossed the next outing will be the one.
Someone back in China must be reading these posts and working on it.......surely?

Reactions: 10-8
Ok 10-8
Joe Bloggs is an English term for anybody. Much like your John Doe for a dead person unknown name.
Come on you have to admit the E90 falls way below expectations.
Ok so the Yuneec devs are working on it but it sure needs some huge improvements
Maybe with fingers crossed the next outing will be the one.
Someone back in China must be reading these posts and working on it.......surely?
yes, the e90 falls below the expectations of many. And yes, shortcomings are being addressed and hopefully the majors fixed sooner rather than later. But I do not expect that it will ever make everyone happy, much like any other product. But let's hopeit continues to improve with each FW release.
Take Care..

Reactions: Graham and Peggy
Interesting timing, given a recent conversation, but I received a message from a friend last night that does a lot of commercial film work. Hadn't heard from him for at least a week prior, but he wrote the following and gave me permission to share:

Just finished wrap on a film set, was busy since last Friday. Had the opportunity to fly and film with the H520 and the E90. Flew in high winds and some low light and am happy to report the H520/E90 performed well under tough circumstances. The main camera we used on set was a Black Magic Ursa Mini and I was able to match the footage from the E90 to the ProRes 422 2.6K video we shot on the Ursa Mini no problem. Here is a teaser I made of the film, the opening sunset scene and the scene looking down on the house were shot on the E90 and the aerial shot near the end looking down on the two girls in high winds was also the E90. The aerial shots of the two car scenes were shot on an Inspire 1 Pro X5 in extreme high winds. The only gripe I have on the H520 right now, is that it is taking more than twice as long to link between the RC and the H520/E90.

I asked what special post or corrections had to be done on the e90 footage?
No special post work. Graded in Black Magic Resolve and the E90 footage matched fine. Made me wish my DJI X5 recorded at 100mbs!

Below is his edit, posted just yesterday. I know that many are disappointed in the e90, but I feel it will continue to improve. But in the meantime, many are using it for a range of applications from surveying, mapping, real estate, film, etc..

Reactions: Panomapic
Dave,

Are you able to observe the gimbal vibration on the table? That is, motors off, panning?

Curious at what angle your vibrations start.

Thanks!

Jeff

P.S. hopefully you have read my earlier posts regarding my current same issue, but with E50, and prior to the 1.3 related DataPilot update.

I will have a test on bench soon and let you know what I find.

If it has my name attached to it then surely I want it to be the best that it can be. For high end jobs I shoot RAW anyway so I am not a stranger to a lot of post work, what is so annoying is that I had a minimum expectation of the E90 that I would be able to use it for the kind of jobs that you are talking about and be able to produce something acceptable without a lot of post work, as you can with the Phantom and others, but I could not give out the current output and be happy myself even if a client was happy with it.

Reactions: 10-8
If it has my name attached to it then surely I want it to be the best that it can be. For high end jobs I shoot RAW anyway so I am not a stranger to a lot of post work, what is so annoying is that I had a minimum expectation of the E90 that I would be able to use it for the kind of jobs that you are talking about and be able to produce something acceptable without a lot of post work, as you can with the Phantom and others, but I could not give out the current output and be happy myself even if a client was happy with it.
I agree Dave, and the camera is just a tool. And it many cases it is the post work that makes a difference. And the less you have to do , the better. But as the above example shows, good quality can be obtained. And until the shake in the current gimbal FW is removed, 1.31 gimbal with current e90 and FC fw can produce good results.

Interesting timing, given a recent conversation, but I received a message from a friend last night that does a lot of commercial film work. Hadn't heard from him for at least a week prior, but he wrote the following and gave me permission to share:

Just finished wrap on a film set, was busy since last Friday. Had the opportunity to fly and film with the H520 and the E90. Flew in high winds and some low light and am happy to report the H520/E90 performed well under tough circumstances. The main camera we used on set was a Black Magic Ursa Mini and I was able to match the footage from the E90 to the ProRes 422 2.6K video we shot on the Ursa Mini no problem. Here is a teaser I made of the film, the opening sunset scene and the scene looking down on the house were shot on the E90 and the aerial shot near the end looking down on the two girls in high winds was also the E90. The aerial shots of the two car scenes were shot on an Inspire 1 Pro X5 in extreme high winds. The only gripe I have on the H520 right now, is that it is taking more than twice as long to link between the RC and the H520/E90.

No special post work. Graded in Black Magic Resolve and the E90 footage matched fine. Made me wish my DJI X5 recorded at 100mbs!

Below is his edit, posted just yesterday. I know that many are disappointed in the e90, but I feel it will continue to improve. But in the meantime, many are using it for a range of applications from surveying, mapping, real estate, film, etc..

I'm Glad your friend was happy with the E90 for his film work. Actually glad to see it being used. I had E90 footage turned down by 2 separate TV production companies due to the distortion from the E90. I was losing work because of it. I also have a few friends who are surveyors. One a quantity surveyor. The e90 has give him nothing but trouble when stitching, he hoped this latest update would have helped it, he ran a job again the other day, with H520/E90 unsuccessfully. He had to re fly it with his Homebuild machine and camera. People are sick of it. No matter what Yuneec Do or say, this camera should have been A LOT better from the very beginning. It has done nothing but cost me money. And this new "VIVID MODE" is rubbish, and custom White balance doesn't even work, it keeps resetting to 3000 kelvin. The only good thing IMO with this update is the battery monitor is somewhat more accurate, but still we only get 65-70% of stated flight times.

Reactions: arruntus and 10-8
I'm Glad your friend was happy with the E90 for his film work. Actually glad to see it being used. I had E90 footage turned down by 2 separate TV production companies due to the distortion from the E90. I was losing work because of it. I also have a few friends who are surveyors. One a quantity surveyor. The e90 has give him nothing but trouble when stitching, he hoped this latest update would have helped it, he ran a job again the other day, with H520/E90 unsuccessfully. He had to re fly it with his Homebuild machine and camera. People are sick of it. No matter what Yuneec Do or say, this camera should have been A LOT better from the very beginning. It has done nothing but cost me money. And this new "VIVID MODE" is rubbish, and custom White balance doesn't even work, it keeps resetting to 3000 kelvin. The only good thing IMO with this update is the battery monitor is somewhat more accurate, but still we only get 65-70% of stated flight times.
Well said and all valid. Like I said, let's hope it continues to be improved on and not abandoned. But it looked pretty good in the above clip and my point is only that some are making it work in the meantime.

This is the third comment I've read about battery life since update 1.3 came out. Let me see if I can shed some light on the subject, it has already been commented on several times, but apparently it is not superfluous to do it again.

When the manufacturer publishes flight times, based on what factors? (Practically all manufacturers do this as follows)
  • In a beach area or nearby, at sea level. This is because the air is as dense as possible and therefore the lift produced is maximum.
  • In a windless environment, wind 0. The drone does not have to correct position or inclination and therefore saves battery power.
  • A stationary flight is made. At about 2 meters high, to avoid the effect floor, and without moving. As soon as a drone rotates and the more degrees the moment has, the consumption is much higher, it increases exponentially with the degrees of inclination. Therefore the drone still, it does not move at all.
If we go with our H520 and E90 and reproduce the previous conditions, 99.9% of the 25 minutes of autonomy indicated by the manufacturer will be fulfilled, in this case we are talking about Yuneec.

Now there are two problems. Almost no manufacturer specifies in which conditions the autonomy has been calculated, which is almost always as I have explained above. Are we fooled? So........ they hide data, to fool us, they don't fool us.... they fool us a little bit for not giving us the complete data.

Second problem, which you've all thought of for sure. What the **** do I want a drone that I can't do anything with if it's just gonna be flying in the air? The answer is simple, not at all. So we flew, moving, at more than 2 meters high, with wind and making sharp turns. The result is that those 25 minutes are transformed in 20 minutes or so (without aggressive flight).

Let no one expect that with an update the battery will last longer, in fact if it increases the autonomy and as we continue to use the same engines, ESC and batteries have for sure that something we will lose. Speed, power or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: PatR

Within my ignorance, I believe that the failure of the E90 is not the lens? The rest are unimportant things compared to the problem of distortion. We are speculating because the one who has to make it clear, which is Yuneec, does not. What is clear is that there is a problem.

So far everything's clear. No one is perfect, a product has been created, the E90 and it has come out with a fault, we still assume that it is the lens. Yuneec says, we can't let our clients, professionals, continue with a defective camera. Send your cameras to the distributors and we'll change all the lenses. Problem solved. Is it a nuisance for the owners? Yeah. Is that money no longer earned for Yuneec? Yeah. But those customers blindly trust Yuneec because they know that they will be answered in case of problems. That publicity is priceless. Many automobile companies call to check for severe problems in their cars and the world doesn't end.

For now Yuneec's answer, from one of the people in charge, has been that they are not going to change the lenses. That we, the buyers, can fix it in post-production. How far we are from an ideal world, right?

P.D.: We are even far from a normal world where people take responsibility for their mistakes.

A couple of things...

1) I regularly get 20-24 minute flights bringing the batteries down to 25%.
2) Don't most wide-angle lenses typically have edge distortion?
3) this distortion shouldn't have a very large effect on orthorectifying and stitching the photos
4) to the point above, I'm producing some pretty good results when mapping

I'm a little baffled by all the negativity; I bought what seems like a rock solid hexacopter and a decent camera for $3300. Does it fit every use case? No, but then no drone does.

A couple of things...

1) I regularly get 20-24 minute flights bringing the batteries down to 25%.
2) Don't most wide-angle lenses typically have edge distortion?
3) this distortion shouldn't have a very large effect on orthorectifying and stitching the photos
4) to the point above, I'm producing some pretty good results when mapping

I'm a little baffled by all the negativity; I bought what seems like a rock solid hexacopter and a decent camera for $3300. Does it fit every use case? No, but then no drone does.
I've done a few map projects as well and thought they turned out great. You can see how well it stitched in this image and close up of an 80ac project.. Pix4D Pricing Structures

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bancadoithuongads