Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Upgrading.

The OTHER commercial aspects, better motors, longer flight time, etcetra ANYONE would want or need. They being what would equate into more production for a business. And more fun for a consumer. That seems pretty clear.

Well that brings us right back to my first suggestion - Typhoon H Plus. Mechanically it is a 520 without a screaming orange paint job and the mapping. And on that subject, the bigger motors and props were implemented on the 520 and the Plus to quieten the sound signature and improve efficiency, not as a means to ensure longer motor life - we have not seen a point at which (mechanically) the 480 starts failing with any regularity from a motor standpoint. In addition the Plus has a camera that is magnificent and the flight software is in a league outside of the standard Typhoon H. Though when one starts talking longer flight times, that needs to be qualified. In general I get longer flight times with my Plus than the 480, but only by a minute or two depending on whether you want to push one or the other into a low battery warning and it also depends on the status of the battery. A 480 battery with a hundred flights against a brand new 520 or Plus battery - now that will look like a significant difference but; its apples to oranges.

Last edited:
Well that brings us right back to my first suggestion - Typhoon H Plus. Mechanically it is a 520 without a screaming orange paint job and the mapping. And on that subject, the bigger motors and props were implemented on the 520 and the Plus to quieten the sound signature and improve efficiency, not as a means to ensure longer motor life - we have not seen a point at which (mechanically) the 480 starts failing with any regularity from a motor standpoint. In addition the Plus has a camera that is magnificent and the flight software is in a league outside of the standard Typhoon H. Though when one starts talking longer flight times, that needs to be qualified. In general I get longer flight times with my Plus than the 480, but only by a minute or two depending on whether you want to push one or the other into a low battery warning and it also depends on the status of the battery. A 480 battery with a hundred flights against a brand new 520 or Plus battery - now that will look like a significant difference but; its apples to oranges.

You must have a bum plus. I get 5/6 minutes more. And I run the batteries down every flight. Literally until I get the low battery warning. Too be fair my batteries are roughly the same age. Matter of weeks in difference.

And bigger motors strain less correct? Do not have to work as hard for the same effect. Less strain means they should last longer. Like say using a V8 in your truck instead of a V6. Larger props move more air at lower rpm?

And I like the flashy orange paint. Probably why I have bright red trucks.

Though Pat has answered the one question. I can expect five more minutes flight with the 920 tops. The 520 minus the realsense would garner me a minute or two.

How long are you getting with your Plus? And when did you get it - I thought you said you had 480's? When you say 5 to 6 minutes more, more than what? My Plus when I got it would do a maximum flight about 4 minutes longer than my 480 but like I said it was an unfair comparison - new batteries to old. My Plus is not bum and the batteries are in perfect condition. the only other factors are ambient temperature and density altitude. I am at sea level and operate generally in a tropical type climate. YMMV.

The bigger motors would work less if they were turning the same props at the same speed but they're not. The 520 and Plus have not only larger diameter props, they have a wider chord and a higher pitch. That said the design of the motors are matched to the props for maximum efficiency - to a point. One of the biggest threats to an electrical motor is heat and a big determining factor of a possible failure. The temperatures between a 480 motor and a Plus motor in flight are negligible. Like I said, the 480's aren't failing.

How long are you getting with your Plus? And when did you get it - I thought you said you had 480's? When you say 5 to 6 minutes more, more than what? My Plus when I got it would do a maximum flight about 4 minutes longer than my 480 but like I said it was an unfair comparison - new batteries to old. My Plus is not bum and the batteries are in perfect condition. the only other factors are ambient temperature and density altitude. I am at sea level and operate generally in a tropical type climate. YMMV.

The bigger motors would work less if they were turning the same props at the same speed but they're not. The 520 and Plus have not only larger diameter props, they have a wider chord and a higher pitch. That said the design of the motors are matched to the props for maximum efficiency - to a point. One of the biggest threats to an electrical motor is heat and a big determining factor of a possible failure. The temperatures between a 480 motor and a Plus motor in flight are negligible. Like I said, the 480's aren't failing.

I do have 480's. I also bought a plus. I have 5 inspire 1's and I2. The inspire pilots forum has netted me 2 of those. I have kids, just watching me would be sucky for them. And I am a social hobbyist. And the point of this thread is literally the title, Upgrading. I spent time looking over an M600 on Friday. Really sweet set up. But the commercial units from yuneec are again in short supply.

And I never said any were failing. Save that mini FX micro drone. My question is the parameters that universally would qualify for fun. Are the commercial units worth it. 2700 for 920. And get 5 more minutes. The 520 maybe 2 more minutes. 250 bucks more. I can get it hydro dipped orange for 20 bucks.

Thus far you’re desires have been pretty **** ambiguous. You don’t need commercial capability but want to have fun flying, yet you don’t seem to want to fly units designed around greater maneuverability. You ask about durability and longevity for a 920 without need of what it was designed to do. You ask if they are “fun”, a highly subjective question until you finally defined “ fun” as just flying. With that definition a 920 is indeed fun, but for me falls a little short. An H, H Plus, or 520 would be more fun as they are more maneuverable but no gimbal equipped multirotor has enough maneuverability to be of any significant challenge. If I want to have lots of fun I’ll fly a giant scale RC aerobat.

Perhaps RC fixed wing or helis is something you might try as they offer a lot more in the way of “fun” flying and creative expression than multirotors do, unless you’re flying an FPV racer. Being blunt, there’s little to challenge us in flying automated, gyro stabilized, angle limited multirotors. They are essentially aerial toads with VTOL capability and quickly become boring in flight.

The video shows my concept of flying for fun. Not me, just a video from awhile back I like.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorWiscPilot
Thus far you’re desires have been pretty **** ambiguous. You don’t need commercial capability but want to have fun flying, yet you don’t seem to want to fly units designed around greater maneuverability. You ask about durability and longevity for a 920 without need of what it was designed to do. You ask if they are “fun”, a highly subjective question until you finally defined “ fun” as just flying. With that definition a 920 is indeed fun, but for me falls a little short. An H, H Plus, or 520 would be more fun as they are more maneuverable but no gimbal equipped multirotor has enough maneuverability to be of any significant challenge. If I want to have lots of fun I’ll fly a giant scale RC aerobat.

Perhaps RC fixed wing or helis is something you might try as they offer a lot more in the way of “fun” flying and creative expression than multirotors do, unless you’re flying an FPV racer. Being blunt, there’s little to challenge us in flying automated, gyro stabilized, angle limited multirotors. They are essentially aerial toads with VTOL capability and quickly become boring in flight.

Did fixed wing. Flew out of a small field in Porter, IN. Had friends that were into it. As well as a teacher at a school locally there I am acquainted with.

And the inspires are fast. Not as quick as the fpv racers I saw Friday. I stopped by Carolina Dronz in Anderson, SC Friday. They told me of a local event that was happening. At a place called Whitehall Park. They also recommended Creekside BBQ. Sadly closed on Friday. So I ate at another local place. Which I will decline to mention as it was sadly just okay. Not worth a trip to try the food.

And flight time is more important than speed
40 to almost 70 mph is plenty quick. I have that covered. The guys racing all home built rigs. Not quite that into it. I prefer turnkey myself. And the truth, a few months from now I might be bored. And they all go into the closet. But for now. Having fun, really enjoying them. The kids and my friends like flying them too. And because I can afford the hobby. I am willing to spend money to enjoy it. I am even willing to upgrade. But as I noted in another post. Not so sure at this point upgrading yuneec's are worth it. Maybe older stuff. Zerotech Highone on Ebay for 500 bucks. Like buying a classic car.

Less talk, no gimmick. Get a drone that can carry a Mini Arri Alexa and check back, cuddy.

If I do not need a 2 or 3 thousand dollar camera why would I need a 50 to 100k one? How would that equate to fun? I get the B&N catalog too. Will it make a rig fly longer? What makes a drone fun is it flying. Unlike most I am aware of how fast a blink is. I know that I have equipment that produces more colors than i can see. Produces more pixels than the human eye can see. I have a 4k TV and there is how much 4K programming? I have a 3D TV and how much 3D programming is there? Just because I can afford a hobby. And even am likely wasteful. But does not mean I do not want value. I bought an inspire because it is acknowledged as a great rig. I bought good. I could have bought 300 dollar parrot. An Autel, instead I bought the yuneec's I like the design. And like dji I could hold them in my hand before buying. The positive reviews outweighed any bad by large margins. So here asking about applications with a company that has a good product. A good market share. It is called due dilligence.

Fun is what you make of what you have.
This could be fun, but look at the results:rolleyes:
06.jpg

Reactions: PatR
I can’t resist this round and round any longer...

I guess I must not be a drone owner as my perspective does not comply.

More flying time is good, but... if the craft does not allow me to do the job I need it to do, any “extra” flying time means nothing.

Have a job to do or business segment to work in? Hopefully one can find the right tools to get the job(s) done as efficiently as possible.

If the job is merely to entertain, then I personally can take a lot of bells and whistles out of my “must have” list and thus concentrate on what I want in terms of challenge and enjoyment.

It all comes down to personal preference; needs vs wants. No amount of back and forth is going to matter if all one wants to do is keep stirring the pot.

Just one pilot’s opinion, speaking solely on my own behalf. No one person is targeted within this opinion.

Jeff

I can’t resist this round and round any longer...

I guess I must not be a drone owner as my perspective does not comply.

More flying time is good, but... if the craft does not allow me to do the job I need it to do, any “extra” flying time means nothing.

Have a job to do, hopefully one can find the right tools to get it done as efficiently as possible.

If the job is merely to entertain, then I personally can take a lot of bells and whistles of my “must have” list and thus concentrate on what I want in terms of challenge and enjoyment.

It all comes down to personal preference; needs vs wants. No amount of back and forth is going to matter if all one wants to do is keep stirring the pot.

Just one pilot’s opinion, speaking solely on my own behalf. No one person is targeted within this opinion.

Jeff

"More flying time is good."

So you do share the same perspective. Your motivation may be different. I can do it for enjoyment.

I covered losing bells and whistles. Which apparently many owners share. OA and realsense don't need em. I would rather be up in the air longer.

Stirring the pot? An obvious slight. But I reply to responses you see. I asked for them. It would be rude not too reply. Was I snarky in a post? Sure in a fitting response. I come from an upbringing that taught one replies to missives.

Condemning gifts received... I think I'll write this thread off as a troll.

the mini FX? Was from a 15 dollar limit secret santa. Read the post. I appreciated the thought. Sadly it is not a functional drone. The AR Drone I received? Was a gift, would not connect to my phone or tablet. The person who gave it too me. Returned it because I could not use it. They were there when I opened it. Saw it did not work and so returned it. Sorry being honest does not work for you. I am supposed to say how great they were? No, the thought was. It is why I have the FX on a shelf with 3 propellers behind my desk. If the person had not been there to see. I would still own the parrot. Stuffed in a closet to be sure. But I would have kept it.

"More flying time is good."

So you do share the same perspective. Your motivation may be different. I can do it for enjoyment.

I covered losing bells and whistles. Which apparently many owners share. OA and realsense don't need em. I would rather be up in the air longer.

Stirring the pot? An obvious slight. But I reply to responses you see. I asked for them. It would be rude not too reply. Was I snarky in a post? Sure in a fitting response. I come from an upbringing that taught one replies to missives.

If you are going to quote, please quote properly. What I stated was:

“More flying time is good, but... “

Meaning, I share a “portion” of the same perspective, but with qualifications, and thus not your entire perspective.

Also, we did see your FX was received as a gift. You did not state until now it was a [paraphrasing] “...$15 Secret Santa” gift until your most recent post (previous to this reply). Most definitely quantifies things a little more clearly, regarding the FX and your perspective about it.

Good luck in your search, and happy holidays!

Jeff

If you are going to quote, please quote properly. What I stated was:

“More flying time is good, but... “

Meaning, I share a “portion” of the same perspective, but with qualifications, and thus not your entire perspective.

Also, we did see your FX was received as a gift. You did not state until now it was a [paraphrasing] “...$15 Secret Santa” gift until your most recent post (previous to this reply). Most definitely quantifies things a little more clearly, regarding the FX and your perspective about it.

Good luck in your search, and happy holidays!

Jeff

Did the but make a distinction? No, it does not. So your motivation for wanting the exact same thing is different only. You still would want more, not less air time.

The reason for the comment about the mini. Was nothing to do with price. Nor even why I recieved it. That it is not a functional craft was my point. Same as the Parrot AR Drone. And because I am eclectic enough. That they found something to pique my interest did matter. So much in the ensuing months. I have bought several drones. And I am enjoying the heck out of it.

And you have a happy holiday as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy