Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Using Video on Typhoon H without the motors running?

Reaction score
I have a project I’m working on and need to know if the video on Typhoon H will record and take pictures without the motors running? Will the landing gear go up without the motors running? If video will work, how long do you estimate the video will run (time wise) without the motors running? Any input would be appreciated!

Here's my best suggestion: Five it a try, yourself, and you'll have the most accurate info.

I didn't say that to be a "wiseass", but, because what I said is the truth. You can all the same question of 10 people, and get 10 different answers. All 10 answers might even be correct, but work each answer only being applicable to the person who have it. For example, people at different base altitudes will experience different amounts of runtime. As for the video, landing gear, etc, that you can easily figure out yourself.

Reactions: K9 aerial solutions
Yes, you can record any type of images without the motors armed.

And Yes, you can retract the landing gear on an H480 by powering it up and binding to the ST16, then invert it and toggle the switch to the retract position. Extending the gear is the same procedure, just flip it over and toggle the switch to extend them again.

Obviously if it isn't flying, you will need to suspend it from something to have the camera on it to record. You will have full control over the gimbal and camera, just as if it were flying.

Another benefit of retracting the gear manually is the aircraft can be powered off with gear retracted so can be easily strapped to a daypack/rucksack for convenient bike/hike transport with the gear retracted and camera removed. Much less cumbersome than the refrigerator with straps -AKA Backpack- that Yuneec gives us for transport! :rolleyes:

I cannot answer the duration question, but needless to say it would be much longer without the motors ruining. I might guess 45 minutes maybe more, and maybe less if you have Real Sense installed. Let us know if you try it.

Last edited:
I used a stationary H sitting on a table linked to a monitor for a car club presentation. The camera was left running for 45 minutes, the entire span of the presentation. No problems shooting straight ahead but panning has the LG in the view when the aircraft is parked.

The battery holds up for a loooong time with the camera running but without the motors running. The flight battery will outlast the transmitter battery.

I have a project I’m working on and need to know if the video on Typhoon H will record and take pictures without the motors running? Will the landing gear go up without the motors running? If video will work, how long do you estimate the video will run (time wise) without the motors running? Any input would be appreciated!
Here's my tuppence worth.
Stationary with motors off you can take pictures and video, and control the gimbal just the same as if you were in the air. As @PatR says above, in this scenario the flight battery will last longer than the flight controller battery so you'll have to watch out for running the controller battery too low. Also, as another has pointed out, the SD card may become full before the flight battery gets depleted.

Landing gear. Not clear from your text as to whether you want to be assured the landing gear will stay down whilst you are recording or whether it is your intention to raise the landing gear while you are (presumably) taking video and pictures while carrying the aircraft around in your hands (By the way, a good method to use to get some ground shots of an area to incorporate into an aerial video.). Post #3 by @DCH above is your answer there.

Please let us know how you get on.

The duration of recording will depend on the size of the sd card in the camera. Also note the recording will start a new mp4 file every 5 min. They will stitch together seamlessly in the video editor.

Steve brought up a real good point. Those using low storage area cards for a long recording session could find the card over writing after reaching capacity, losing the early portion of their work if the recording time exceeded the card’s storage capacity. Recording in 4k consumes a little under 1gig/minute of video time so size the card accordingly. A 64g card should be the minimum capacity used. The CGO3 will also accept and function with 128g cards.

Those using a drone as a static camera rig should consider removing the propellers beforehand. Doing so guarantees there cannot be an accidental arming of the aircraft that would start the props spinning and cause an accidental take off or bystander injury. If the drone is in a location where people are present there will be people that will want to look at the drone. As many “look” with their hands as well as their eyes you want to be proactive and eliminate the potential for someone to handle the ST-16 and start pushing on buttons, arming the motors.

During battery testing it was established the system places a little less than a 1 amp demand on the flight battery with the motors off but the camera running. Using that as a guide the flight battery could safely provide a couple hours of recording time before reaching 14.4v. The ST-16 will not run as long on its battery, so the -16 is the limiting factor for recording time. During my presentation the -16 dropped to a bit over 60% during the 45 minute presentation.

Last edited:
Yes, you can record any type of images without the motors armed.

And Yes, you can retract the landing gear on an H480 by powering it up and binding to the ST16, then invert it and toggle the switch to the retract position. Extending the gear is the same procedure, just flip it over and toggle the switch to extend them again.

Obviously if it isn't flying, you will need to suspend it from something to have the camera on it to record. You will have full control over the gimbal and camera, just as if it were flying.

Another benefit of retracting the gear manually is the aircraft can be powered off with gear retracted so can be easily strapped to a daypack/rucksack for convenient bike/hike transport with the gear retracted and camera removed. Much less cumbersome than the refrigerator with straps -AKA Backpack- that Yuneec gives us for transport! :rolleyes:

I cannot answer the duration question, but needless to say it would be much longer without the motors ruining. I might guess 45 minutes maybe more, and maybe less if you have Real Sense installed. Let us know if you try it.
Thanks! I appreciate the info!

Giving consideration to the battery run time on the flight controller, you could plug in a battery power bank and extend the run time considerably. Just a thought.

For someone doing static camera work all the time it would be a great idea to obtain a much larger capacity battery for the TX. Since the TX would spend most of its time sitting on a table a larger battery could sit right next to it.

Reactions: Steve Carr
For someone doing static camera work all the time it would be a great idea to obtain a much larger capacity battery for the TX. Since the TX would spend most of its time sitting on a table a larger battery could sit right next to it.
They are easy to make using 18650 Li-ion batteries.

Maybe you should buy an Actioncam (Lipo Version of the Stadygrip) Model Number: YUNCGOST102 it has approximately 90 minutes run time & works with the CGO3+. I have the Actioncam for my CGO3+ & the Stadygrip GB203 for my GoPro and they work Great.

Attachments

• b_0.jpg
    b_0.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 6

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval