Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Altitude test flights....

Reaction score
just wanted to know what altitude (height) you all have been to and if higher than 1000' is possible, if so what modifications or tweaking did you do? Thanks for your insights.....

Not sure what country you are in but here in the UK the legal limit is 400' above take off. Unless you are talking about altitude above mean sea level?

Yes altitude from your present location, not from sea level. I know the limit is 400' but curious if anyone has went past that height

That's a tricky question. The ceiling in the US is 400' Above Ground Level (AGL). When I fly from a valley I stay well below that, but follow the terrain up to over 1000' above the takeoff location. Again, at the location of the bird it's usually less than 200' AGL but over 1000' above me. What you need to remember is the climb and descent rate are completely different. You can climb fast but coming down is slow so it will take much longer to get it back home. If you wait too long you might hit low battery autoland. So it takes careful planning. Don't get fooled thinking the battery will last longer coming down. Ain't gonna happen.

Too new I guess. Give it a little time and someone will actually answer the question you asked.

Reactions: jarvis
Nobody flies above 400 feet where you started from.
We never break the rules.
I did fly up to 2,451 feet but I started at 2051. It seemed fine.. I'm sure some folks living in Colorado fly above 6000 ASL.
I did read somewhere that above 5000 ASL you can only fly in turtle mode. Have not been high enough yet to test that.

Nobody flies above 400 feet where you started from.
We never break the rules.
I did fly up to 2,451 feet but I started at 2051. It seemed fine.. I'm sure some folks living in Colorado fly above 6000 ASL.
I did read somewhere that above 5000 ASL you can only fly in turtle mode. Have not been high enough yet to test that.
A year or so back you regularly saw vids on YouTube of people pushing their Phantoms up to remarkable heights but none these days. A sign that people are being far more responsible (or maybe they are still doing it but aren't being daft enough to post onto Youtube?)

My T-H is set at 400 ft and I have no intention of changing it unless I move to a very hilly region and start flying it from the bottom of a valley (re Steve Carr's reply above.)

By now you would think no one would even ask a question like this. If one knows the limit is 400" why ask if others are being irresponsible and breaking the limit?

I hope anyone going to 1000 feet gets busted before causing a accident.

Reactions: Chris McMillan
It would seem logical if the range was 1 mile horizontally (OEM Equipment) then in theory it could go 1 mile vertical.

Reactions: jarvis
I've taken phantoms up ridge-lines where i was never higher than 50 feet off the ground but about 1800 feet higher than take-off position. I then flew back down along the ridge-line back to my take-off. I was never near anything or anyone to endanger. I was using fpv goggles and it was a trip to look back down at the tiny speck that was my truck. Like other post stated it take longer to get down than it does to go up. Haven't taken the H over 400ft.

It would seem logical if the range was 1 mile horizontally (OEM Equipment) then in theory it could go 1 mile vertical.
It's nothing to do with flying distance horizontal and equating that distance to height capability. It's to do with commonsense and the fact that we have rules/recommendations.
If irresponsible people start flying regularly to the height your asking about, the media then lawmakers are going to jump all over it.
Let's all stay within the guidelines and keep our fantastic hobby safe.
Think about it.
Sermon ends.

Reactions: OnTheRopes
1300 -1500 feet estimate above take off point. Hard to say because telemetry data on ST16 screen freezes to values at 656 feet. After thet height values are frozen until copter is back below 656 feet. It little risky because you dont know battery voltage when over 656 feet. In Finland there is few special cases when you can fly over normal 492 feet restriction and you don't brake the regulations. Also there is special named areas where you can fly over 492 feet.

It's nothing to do with flying distance horizontal and equating that distance to height capability. It's to do with commonsense and the fact that we have rules/recommendations.
If irresponsible people start flying regularly to the height your asking about, the media then lawmakers are going to jump all over it.
Let's all stay within the guidelines and keep our fantastic hobby safe.
Think about it.
Sermon ends.
Chris, I understand what your message is and agree with you, but I feel that when I buy something I want to know the technical specifications/limits of the device. Top Speed/ Range/ Flight Time etc...I don't buy a car based on the fact that the top speed is 160mph but never go past 55mph. I know that a lot of irresponsible people have made a dark cloud over the drone community and we do not need any more negativity in this community. That being said: knowing how high your drone/UAV could go is useful information. I'm not advocating break the law to find out. Pretty sure you could file a flight plan with the FAA to go higher if you had the proper certifications and knowing the limits of your device would be hepful.

Reactions: Chris McMillan

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval