Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Balancing props on the Typhoon H

Reaction score
As we while away the, er, weeks, has anyone thought about how we go about balancing the props on the latest model.
It clearly has "clip on" props, so they're different from regular ones that we're used to. Maybe they'll have a special rod that fits in, the same way as the prop mount... Any thoughts?

Will have to create an adaptor. Need the prop so I can design and print one one the 3D printer.

As we while away the, er, weeks, has anyone thought about how we go about balancing the props on the latest model.
It clearly has "clip on" props, so they're different from regular ones that we're used to. Maybe they'll have a special rod that fits in, the same way as the prop mount... Any thoughts?
Yes I have a du-bro balancer,but as mentioned you will need an adapter because the H prop has Yuneec design.

dont even bother, they are unlikely to be that bad to need it and you can even induce more vibrations mid blade by attempting to balance them, the 6 rotors and a very good gimbal will more than compensate for anything

Reactions: Chris McMillan
dont even bother, they are unlikely to be that bad to need it and you can even induce more vibrations mid blade by attempting to balance them, the 6 rotors and a very good gimbal will more than compensate for anything
Past experience has never posed a problem,but I will take your advice to mind.

But I must add don't buy a balancer as a must have item for drone flying,it is a tool that can do more damage than good if not used correctly,think before you buy,do your research.They can also be used to balance your wheels on your R/c vehicles and other prop based machines.

But I must add don't buy a balancer as a must have item for drone flying,it is a tool that can do more damage than good if not used correctly,think before you buy,do your research.They can also be used to balance your wheels on your R/c vehicles and other prop based machines.
Never had one, never will, just my feel, I "Have the Force" and can see and hear the vibes sent out by a out of balance prop. AirPauly has a point. But if it makes you feel more comfortable I am with you. The one my friend has the tip just has a small ball on the end that can fit up and self center inside all if not most props.

Mine has cones which are supposed to fit most,like I said not neede for aerial photography,for those into single prop use machine it can be a must at times,of course multi -rotor aircraft can compensate for any fluctuations in the props electronically.i got tired of annoying high pitched ringing noise coming from my machine and decided to apply some left over knowledge from the old days of planes.my first aircraft was a string attached cox pt 19 trainer in 1973.

Single prop definitely, it can't hurt to do quads, but the H blades are hollow in the middle to allow release button to pass thru, would be difficult to do

Thinking out loud here.... But wouldn't a HEX produce much less vibration than a QUAD? I'm just thinking that with six props, each spinning in a counter direction to the opposing prop that vibrations would be reduced/cancelled and possibly never a need for prop balancing as you would on a QUAD.

I've never owned a HEX so I may have my thinking backwards here.

Thinking out loud here.... But wouldn't a HEX produce much less vibration than a QUAD? I'm just thinking that with six props, each spinning in a counter direction to the opposing prop that vibrations would be reduced/cancelled and possibly never a need for prop balancing as you would on a QUAD.

You are correct, the more blades the better stability and smoother flight, thats why all movie set drones are even octo copters-stability, but any blade one or eight will give some vibration, but with imu and electronic stabilization, your going to get compensation to a good point to make corrections. I personally have never balanced a single prop, and have never noticed and significant difference in new or old props, I just change them out every 50-100 flights for peace of mind, especially with the thread on type. Everytime you bump the blades putting them in and out of your case, or in and out of your car trunk you are going to risk throwing them off alittle. Even repeated flying, heat/cold can in my mind warp them slightly. But not to any major concern. I am not against balancing props, I just personally choose not to.

How often would the blades need to be balanced?
When needed,I check mine when new most of them are fine,a prop has to really swing out of balance both vertically and horizontally before I mess with them by adding small peice of gorilla tape,my preference.horizontal I apply to inner backside,vertical balance apply to hub.some I've seen use a dermal or sandpaper,especially on wood props.(remember sanding requires perfection)I prefer tape it's a little unsightly to some but it's very forgiving and quicker.

I believe your right and I would like to say you seem to be one of the most knowledgable flyers on this forum,and that includes you also D.C., and H.C.,.Im really have picked up a lot and look forward to exchange info for many H flights to come, with my fellow pilots!

Like wise Humboldt, I am far from expert pilot, but keep getting closer with information and tips I get from you, and all the GREAT fellas on this forum, Old and Young ! LOL ! I am living proof that you CAN-"Teach an old dog, new tricks " ! Oh ! sorry Lee, I forgot and Yuneec women too !( yuneek)

I use a blade balancer not to balance per sey but more of a checker of blade life/quality. Can't tell you after how many flights I put a blade on a balancer to find it way off after contact with a bug..... yes a "BUG" or grass/plant matter.... that has passed thru the wash and get's hit so the leading edge is damaged or bug crap get's laminated on the surface and throws the blade off. Some bug juice does not come off no matter what I've tried... Another thing to do is to mount the blade on the drone, clamp it down to a flight table and check tracking when spooled up. Being a heli pilot also you would be amazed how many brand new blades are wonky from the factory (wonky - technical term..... :rolleyes:) and don't track. I don't fly my drones with wonky blades and just replace them. Earlier drones (late 1990's) had very flexible blades and was more of an issue than today's more rigid blades..... I've used tape also to balance but with smaller blades it does not take much to make a change.

I use a blade balancer not to balance per sey but more of a checker of blade life/quality. Can't tell you after how many flights I put a blade on a balancer to find it way off after contact with a bug..... yes a "BUG" or grass/plant matter.... that has passed thru the wash and get's hit so the leading edge is damaged or bug crap get's laminated on the surface and throws the blade off. Some bug juice does not come off no matter what I've tried... Another thing to do is to mount the blade on the drone, clamp it down to a flight table and check tracking when spooled up. Being a heli pilot also you would be amazed how many brand new blades are wonky from the factory (wonky - technical term..... :rolleyes:) and don't track. I don't fly my drones with wonky blades and just replace them. Earlier drones (late 1990's) had very flexible blades and was more of an issue than today's more rigid blades..... I've used tape also to balance but with smaller blades it does not take much to make a change.
Exactly thanks for going into such easily explained detail,I didn't want to mention those uses,because I don't want rookies running out and getting one and screwing up their blades.I know just a bug,dirt,I use tape to balance up and it's light stuff.I just bought my first set of carbon fiber blades for my Chroma,Aero-naut 10.5" haven't checked them but I bet their good.tracking didn't compute,interesting,have worked with any of the wood props?Very labor intrusive those guys,my first exposure was this old friend of family had a shop and was into the large scale planes.when I was young back in 70-71 I would spend hours hanging out watching hoping he fly.

balancing blades for heli's is a must and tracking/alignment is a must.... Otherwise you get the shaky dance when trying to fly and it's really hard to hold it steady when it's doing a hoola dance in the air.... I learned from the old guys also when I started off in fixed wing.... got bold in the late 80's and tried rotary when pitch was fixed (what a pain) and no such thing as gyro's so holding the tail was an even bigger challenge. Now day's anyone can learn to fly much easier with the controllers.....

Like wise Humboldt, I am far from expert pilot, but keep getting closer with information and tips I get from you, and all the GREAT fellas on this forum, Old and Young ! LOL ! I am living proof that you CAN-"Teach an old dog, new tricks " ! Oh ! sorry Lee, I forgot and Yuneec women too !( yuneek)
balancing blades for heli's is a must and tracking/alignment is a must.... Otherwise you get the shaky dance when trying to fly and it's really hard to hold it steady when it's doing a hoola dance in the air.... I learned from the old guys also when I started off in fixed wing.... got bold in the late 80's and tried rotary when pitch was fixed (what a pain) and no such thing as gyro's so holding the tail was an even bigger challenge. Now day's anyone can learn to fly much easier with the controllers.....
i could certainly learn a lot from you,I can follow easily what you say.

Reactions: DroneClone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval