Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Can you Trust your Typhoon H

Reaction score
I just had a nice flight
with my Typhoon H 480
upon landing,4 foot off
the ground it would drift
hard to the left. I fought with it to stabalize.
I jockyied the sticks so
i could land it. After landing on level it still toppled over with the props digging in the grass.Thank God I was in a wide open space upon
landing. The drift was bad. No low battery warning either. Hmmmm
What do you think could
cause this ?
Keith Kuhn

The immediate thoughts would be to check the performance of J4 in hardware monitor, and maybe do an accelerometer calibration.
Anything unusual about the landing area? As in, is it a familiar place you have used before without issues?
Any recent history that may play into it? Bumps, hard landings, firmware updates, calibrations, etc.?

And, as always, posting a copy of the FlightLog directory might reveal something of interest.

Did you make sure the motors were at idle before releasing the throttle stick after landing?

Reactions: John Hennessy
The immediate thoughts would be to check the performance of J4 in hardware monitor, and maybe do an accelerometer calibration.
Anything unusual about the landing area? As in, is it a familiar place you have used before without issues?
Any recent history that may play into it? Bumps, hard landings, firmware updates, calibrations, etc.?

And, as always, posting a copy of the FlightLog directory might reveal something of interest.

Thanks for replying.
This was at a park where I do not normally go.#1

#2 I will do an accelerometer calibration
before I take it out again.

#3 No more warranty, can't afford any malfunctions.

#4 even though I did not get a low Battery indicator.
I am leaning toward that as a possibility.
No toilet bowl, just big time drift to left.
Ok. I am going to do some checking on it.
I will let all know what I discover.
K Kuhn

I used to trust my H480.....but one evening my plans changed and I came home early, unexpectedly....to find....

Busted H480sm.jpg

Never again will I trust the 480......

I used to trust my H480.....but one evening my plans changed and I came home early, unexpectedly....to find....

View attachment 18404

Never again will I trust the 480......

Ahhh... the oll' Praying to the Carbon Fiber Gods position... yeah, good times... ?

Reminds me of the party my 16 year old daughter threw at the house when her Mom and ai went away for a weekend. Neighbors said it was quite a shindig.

The H+ and the Mavic Air were in the guest room. I didn't ask.

Reactions: PatR
The H+ and the Mavic Air were in the guest room. I didn't ask.

[emoji443]Train kept a-rollin’, all night long[emoji443]

As for trusting my H’s, I do but I’ve learned I have to do my part for them to do their part.

Over time I’ve learned that we need to periodically clean the potentiometers and pin contacts on Yuneec products. If we fail to do that we can be assured of experiencing control anomalies from time to time.

Typical after a long period of non use is a lateral drift to one side or the other, but usually to the left. If performing a full “secret menu” calibration does not cure that, cleaning the sticks and a system cal afterwards will.

I’ve learned that if you let them sit unused for long periods of time they will lose calibrations. It’s absolutely certain they will not know where they are after sitting for 6 months so a long GPS soak is mandatory. Also needed will be a compass and accelerometer cal, and a gimbal cal won’t hurt.

I’ve learned that performing a “secret menu” system cal requires we start and end the calibration process with the controls centered. If we start with any control off center the system will be limited to one side after the cal is complete.

I’ve learned that any time we hear a constant beeping there’s something wrong and we should not fly until we determine and correct the cause. It might be as simple as finding a stick is being deflected at power up or it could mean the system has lost bind.

I’ve learned to always check the telemetry data at the left side of the ST-16 screen to determine the system is updating info. If nothing is there or only partially reporting there’s a problem with system communications or binding.

I’ve learned that if I use several different cameras on an aircraft each camera’s firmware must be a match for the aircraft and ST-16 firmware. If they don’t all match something will not work right.

Perhaps one of the most important lessons learned is that if I crash and damage the gimbal I should send it to an authorized repair station to get it fixed as most people that try to fix it themselves end up with a messed up gimbal.

I’ve learned that if I come across a page in the system menu I don’t understand, pushing buttons will always make things worse. If we don’t understand something, don’t try to change it to “make it better”. There’s a high probability it will be worse.

So all in all, if I pay a little attention to basic maintenance the H’s always do what they are supposed to do. If I get lazy or don’t pay attention they will demonstrate some displeasure for being ignored.

Last edited:
I just had a nice flight
with my Typhoon H 480
upon landing,4 foot off
the ground it would drift
hard to the left. I fought with it to stabalize.
I jockyied the sticks so
i could land it. After landing on level it still toppled over with the props digging in the grass.Thank God I was in a wide open space upon
landing. The drift was bad. No low battery warning either. Hmmmm
What do you think could
cause this ?
Keith Kuhn

Keith,

Did you think to abort the landing, gain some altitude, and try again?

Sometimes that helps to get things back in order. Has worked for me many times. The times it hasn’t, it’s been me being either too slow to react in time to get airborne again and save it, or... too stubborn and letting it do it’s tip-over.

Always be ready to abort at the first sign “this isn’t a normal approach.”

Not saying it is a fail safe. Just saying it has saved many a prop.

Jeff

Perhaps if it's misbehaving abort the landing and go back up and have another go, even try another spot or hand catch, in an emergency!
See someone's already suggested, I've only just woken up here!

......I’ve learned that if I come across a page in the system menu I don’t understand, pushing buttons will always make things worse. If we don’t understand something, don’t try to change it to “make it better”. There’s a high probability it will be worse........

In Model Rocketry I learned to use the NASA Approach: If you don’t know what to do don’t do anything at all.

Reactions: DCH and PatR

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval