Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Important FIRMWARE version B23 - List Known Issues Here

After updating your H did you have any problems?

• Flies great. No problems

Votes: 67 60.9%
  • Compass errors

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • GPS errors

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Loss of control. H won't respond to controller

Votes: 16 14.5%
  • H flew away and crashed

Votes: 13 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.
I was out yesterday just to have a fly around and i have only just looked at the video and I have all lines going through the video where I was filming into the sun. I have never seen this before this update. I was not really doing any filming so I don't now if it was just the camera settings. i have filmed into the sun before this update and was fine . As anyone had the same.
Thanks
Miss H

Hi all.
I was out yesterday just to have a fly around and i have only just looked at the video and I have all lines going through the video where I was filming into the sun. I have never seen this before this update. I was not really doing any filming so I don't now if it was just the camera settings. i have filmed into the sun before this update and was fine . As anyone had the same.
Thanks
Miss H
I have had similar issues on a "few" flights while filming in"Auto" while facing the sun and having camera tilted to far up into the horizon, hopefully in a planned filming away from direct sunlight, your issue will disappear Miss H ! I surely will be hoping so !

Reactions: Abby Harts
I have had similar issues on a "few" flights while filming in"Auto" while facing the sun and having camera tilted to far up into the horizon, hopefully in a planned filming away from direct sunlight, your issue will disappear Miss H ! I surely will be hoping so !
Thank you Clone. I will edit the video over the weekend to post so you can see it and I will have it to post to yuneec if I have the same again next time I get out to try it. I was in Auto so hopefully it is just that. I will keep you posted. I am waiting to see what everyone is saying about the new update before I do it.
Thank you for your reply clone
Miss h

I have heard this described before as sunlight passing through the props and hitting the camera lens which causes the lines to show up on video. Easily corrected by changing the camera angle.

I have heard this described before as sunlight passing through the props and hitting the camera lens which causes the lines to show up on video. Easily corrected by changing the camera angle.
Thank you Steve I will try that next time I can get out with it and let you know.
Miss H

Thank you Steve I will try that next time I can get out with it and let you know.
Miss H
I seem to recall that it can also be eliminated by using a filter and a slower shutter speed. It's probably similar to taking a movie of a TV screen where you see the lines on the TV in your video.

I seem to recall that it can also be eliminated by using a filter and a slower shutter speed. It's probably similar to taking a movie of a TV screen where you see the lines on the TV in your video.
Thank you Steve here is a vid I did before the last update filming into the sun and it was fine. Like you say it's similar to taking a movie of a TV screen where you see the lines on the TV in your video. But this time the sun was higher in the sky so i will edit the video over the weekend to post so you can see it.
I do need to get ND filters so I will look into it and get back to you
Thanks steve
Miss H

Thank you Steve here is a vid I did before the last update filming into the sun and it was fine.

That's a pretty satisfying film. The colours in the middle seem to vary a little, but that opening sequence is great.

That's a pretty satisfying film. The colours in the middle seem to vary a little, but that opening sequence is great.
Thanks Tuna I was just trying the camera out as i am new to video work and colour grading in premier pro so that may be why the colours are a bit out. I still have a lot to learn with video But thank you it all helps
Miss H

I don't mean to start an argument here but this seems to be the problem with selling such an advanced product to people who have no or little experience with RC Aircraft.

If everyone went through the calibrations after each firmware update, i think Yuneec C/S would be less busy with people telling them there drone is faulty.

I have read that people are seeing "Compass Calibration" errors or drifting which funnily disappears once a calibration is done.

It would probably help if Yuneec had a more thorough checklist for post firmware installation to assist the masses.

You're right, definitely lack of experience with these machines is a factor. This being my first multirotor I try to be careful but sometimes things slip by; the last time I updated my H (sept 1st update) I forgot to run a compass calibration.

The next morning I went out test it and after taking off I let the H hover for a while at eye-level height and immediately noticed that though it was holding position just fine, it was crooked a few degrees sideways. Had I been flying without GPS signal it would have definitely flown away in that direction.

Anyway I landed and remembered I didn't calibrate compass after the upgrade, after calibrating compass, accelerometer and gimbal (just to make sure everything was tuned) it flew perfectly.

You're right, definitely lack of experience with these machines is a factor. This being my first multirotor I try to be careful but sometimes things slip by; the last time I updated my H (sept 1st update) I forgot to run a compass calibration.

The next morning I went out test it and after taking off I let the H hover for a while at eye-level height and immediately noticed that though it was holding position just fine, it was crooked a few degrees sideways. Had I been flying without GPS signal it would have definitely flown away in that direction.

Anyway I landed and remembered I didn't calibrate compass after the upgrade, after calibrating compass, accelerometer and gimbal (just to make sure everything was tuned) it flew perfectly.

->I landed and remembered I didn't calibrate compass after the upgrade<-

I hear you, and I think this is a huge issue. And some folks have posted i didn't re calibrate anything and Oh ****, it flew into a tree! I would love to see us all come together as a grup to help each other an stop bashing Yuneec, maybe then we could learn and fix things. and we could all get along ? :)

Reactions: JulesTEO
->I landed and remembered I didn't calibrate compass after the upgrade<-

I hear you, and I think this is a huge issue. And some folks have posted i didn't re calibrate anything and Oh ****, it flew into a tree! I would love to see us all come together as a grup to help each other an stop bashing Yuneec, maybe then we could learn and fix things. and we could all get along ? :)
Thanks for chiming in Brian. I don't want to bash anyone but this has been my suspicion too, although I know there are definite hardware issues I don't suspect they are as wide spread as the reads here would seem to indicate. Every issue needs to be treated as a one off. People have chimed in on what they've done but it only takes one missed step or one flipped switch for everything to go south. Some of us have no experience at all while other have a tremendous amount of experience. I've seen it time and time again with other drones and diy drones. Personally I'm amazed that the H does what it does. It would be great if there was an easy button. Both Yuneec and DJI have come a long way but considering a drone isn't at all aerodynamic and won't glide like a plane or auto rotate like a heli things can still get bad in a hurry. There is a huge amount of technology, engineering and software which all have to work perfectly to keep these things in the air. When it works perfectly, nearly anyone can fly it and seem like a pro but when it doesn't a pilot needs to take over and hope they can use their experience to regain control and land safely. For those who are just starting out, buy a Syma X5C to hone your piloting skills. The X5C is cheap, as in $30-40 USD? Has some level of sophistication, is very easy to fly, is very forgiving, and can take a pretty good beating while at the same time can be repaired. Don't risk a 1k to 2k drone to learn to fly, do it with the beater.

I just checked all my logs and out of 84 flight, only 1 has shown err32 (Compass Calibration) and that's the one after I updated to this b23 version.

I just checked all my logs and out of 84 flight, only 1 has shown err32 (Compass Calibration) and that's the one after I updated to this b23 version.

Maybe a "one-of". Is the error repeating?

Maybe a "one-of". Is the error repeating?

2 flights on B23 have errors. One 12 in a row and one 20 in a row. Each of those events lasted for about a second or less.
I don't believe in a one off scenario as 80 some flights have clearly proven that there were no GPS errors before. And I have always flown in the same location....and I have NEVER calibrated my Compass !!!!

2 flights on B23 have errors. One 12 in a row and one 20 in a row. Each of those events lasted for about a second or less.
I don't believe in a one off scenario as 80 some flights have clearly proven that there were no GPS errors before. And I have always flown in the same location....and I have NEVER calibrated my Compass !!!!
Do you recall when those errors occurred if you had switched the landing gear up or down? One of the logs from someone else showed a brief 1 sec string of compass calibration errors but only when the landing gear was switched down. If I recall correctly the H was into RTH Landing and the landing gear activated at the moment of the errors.

I get the same message error,

COMPASS ERROR MESSAGE: When the Typhoon and ST16 are powered up, and the Typhoon is sitting on the ground with no motors engaged, I have received the "land in angle mode and calibrate compass" message. If I walked a few feet with the ST16 to another spot, the message went away.

I get this it seems everytime I go to take off from either landing and changing a battery or just landing for a sec to look things over. I've even tried to calibrate it ahead of time, when arriving on site, but this seems to be still happening, I've even had update my firmware to the latest one, that they say was suppose to have fixed bugs issues that were in their latestes version.

Do you recall when those errors occurred if you had switched the landing gear up or down? One of the logs from someone else showed a brief 1 sec string of compass calibration errors but only when the landing gear was switched down. If I recall correctly the H was into RTH Landing and the landing gear activated at the moment of the errors.

Looks like after it started decending upon RTH.
upload_2016-9-18_15-48-24.png

and once after it landed
upload_2016-9-18_15-51-31.png

Ok...so I can report that after updating to B24 there are no compass errors in the log File. With that I would conclude that B23 was buggy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval