Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Landing Gear Problem on my 'H'..

Reaction score
I installed the latest firmware upgrade and all seemed to go well. However, this evening I was going to do a test flight and when I took off and up to about 10 feet AGL, I toggled the gear switch, but it did not retract the gear. One of the gear moved about a half inch and no movement on the opposite gear. I moved the switch to down position and the one gear moved back the half inch. I landed safe and sound and looked at everything. I saw no visible problems and made a second lift off and had the same results at even higher elevation. I landed again and shut it all down. I've not seen anyone else with this problem so far.

Any ideas???

Probably doesn't have anything to do with it, but try rebinding the ST16 controller with the Typhoon H.
If that doesn't help, try reloading the firmware again; maybe it didn't load properly.
(Just a thought.)

Allen

You can test the landing gear in the house as follows.
Remove the camera and props.
Turn on the H and the ST16 as normal.
After it's booted, turn the H up-side-down and then try the landing gear. It should retract and extend normally.

Probably doesn't have anything to do with it, but try rebinding the ST16 controller with the Typhoon H.
If that doesn't help, try reloading the firmware again; maybe it didn't load properly.
(Just a thought.)

Allen

Well, that was a good idea. I did do a rebinding, but with one alternative. I went into the Select Model and selected my copy of the TH, and then did a rebind. That was successful and I also did another test flight and the gear retracted when I pulled the lever back. And of course the gear deployed when I selected gear down again.

One side note: Others here had reported the obstacle avoidance wasn't working, but I brought my TH down to just above my head about six feet away from me, and then I raised my hand toward the TH and it backed off! So that's not a problem for me at least. I flew for just over five minutes and all appears to be normal. I even shot a video during the flight and I played it back in my ST16. This is a cool feature that we didn't have before!

I'm HAPPY!!!

You can test the landing gear in the house as follows.
Remove the camera and props.
Turn on the H and the ST16 as normal.
After it's booted, turn the H up-side-down and then try the landing gear. It should retract and extend normally.

As a matter of fact, I did that very thing except I didn't remove the camera. I laid the TH in my lap upside down and flipped the gear switch and it rotated to the up position just like it should and redeployed when I flipped the switch the opposite way.

Thanks to all for the good advice!

Well, that was a good idea. I did do a rebinding, but with one alternative. I went into the Select Model and selected my copy of the TH, and then did a rebind. That was successful and I also did another test flight and the gear retracted when I pulled the lever back. And of course the gear deployed when I selected gear down again.

One side note: Others here had reported the obstacle avoidance wasn't working, but I brought my TH down to just above my head about six feet away from me, and then I raised my hand toward the TH and it backed off! So that's not a problem for me at least. I flew for just over five minutes and all appears to be normal. I even shot a video during the flight and I played it back in my ST16. This is a cool feature that we didn't have before!

I'm HAPPY!!!

Glad it worked out for you !!!!

Allen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of the box my landing gear would not retract.. I read the thread about turning the drone upside down so I tried it. Only the left gear would retract, but it only partially retracted and then would not lock itself back into fully down. I played with flipping the gear switch off and on hoping it would eventually go back to full lock down, but the left gear retracted further and further but it would not return to full down. At that point I had one gear fully retracted and one fully down and locked. Absolutely no way to fly the drone, and it is only 2 days old. I called Yuneec customer service and after explaining what was going the rep said he would send me a new gear module. I hope he meant both as both are not working. They also wanted a copy on my purchase receipt, showing the price I paid and the date of purchase. So I called the dealer and they e-mailed me the receipt. I emailed it to Yuneec and got a reply that they needed it as an attachment as they had to put it into my case file. So I just sent the dealers email to them Have heard nothing back.......I was told if I did the installation I would also void my warranty. OH well. It is a simple removal of two screws slide old module out, slide new module in and replace 2 screws. How much damage could a person do to void the warranty? Hopefully I will get the two new modules soon so I can finally fly the drone.....BTW the video for installing the recent system up grade leaves out two key points. This omission cost me about 3 hours and I eventually had to call Yuneec and they walked me through a complete system reset and binding........it appears I only have the gear issues to deal with....Seems Yuneec's QC is a little less than adequate if this type issue gets past them......
In checking the net I found that Beach Camera has the Typhoon H in two different package deals for $998. One comes with an extra battery and a 64 gb chip and the other comes with the Wand Wizard controller and a 64 gb chip. Considering the battery is normally 135 and the controller is 199 either deal is better than what other companies are currently offering.

I have had an issue recently (even before the latest firmware) where I have to flip the landing gear control a few times to get it to retract or extend.
It makes it real difficult when you are flying FPV and forget to check if your landing gear is down upon landing.
So far, I just try to remember to lift the goggles and double check.

Out of the box my landing gear would not retract.. I read the thread about turning the drone upside down so I tried it. Only the left gear would retract, but it only partially retracted and then would not lock itself back into fully down. I played with flipping the gear switch off and on hoping it would eventually go back to full lock down, but the left gear retracted further and further but it would not return to full down. At that point I had one gear fully retracted and one fully down and locked. Absolutely no way to fly the drone, and it is only 2 days old. I called Yuneec customer service and after explaining what was going the rep said he would send me a new gear module. I hope he meant both as both are not working. They also wanted a copy on my purchase receipt, showing the price I paid and the date of purchase. So I called the dealer and they e-mailed me the receipt. I emailed it to Yuneec and got a reply that they needed it as an attachment as they had to put it into my case file. So I just sent the dealers email to them Have heard nothing back.......I was told if I did the installation I would also void my warranty. OH well. It is a simple removal of two screws slide old module out, slide new module in and replace 2 screws. How much damage could a person do to void the warranty? Hopefully I will get the two new modules soon so I can finally fly the drone.....BTW the video for installing the recent system up grade leaves out two key points. This omission cost me about 3 hours and I eventually had to call Yuneec and they walked me through a complete system reset and binding........it appears I only have the gear issues to deal with....Seems Yuneec's QC is a little less than adequate if this type issue gets past them......
In checking the net I found that Beach Camera has the Typhoon H in two different package deals for $998. One comes with an extra battery and a 64 gb chip and the other comes with the Wand Wizard controller and a 64 gb chip. Considering the battery is normally 135 and the controller is 199 either deal is better than what other companies are currently offering.
Why not exchange the H where you purchased it.

Have you looked at Amazon for prices? I found they sell the batteries for $99 and have several different package deals that sound pretty good. One is a Typhoon H Pro for $1500 and comes with a soft back pack, 2 H batteries, lens cleaning kit, extra props, etc. Here is their site:
https://www.amazon.com/YUNEEC-Typhoon-Hexacopter-RealSense-Backpack/dp/B01HHVLDQO

Good luck

Rebinding can solve retract issues, I've done it a few times...it can also solve a myriad of other issues. Glad you got the issue resolved...I've done it before for retract issues and when I updated the most recent firmware on one of my three H's I had retract issues and rebinding once again solved the issue...it also took care of some drifting on the same drone. When in doubt rebind.

What two essentials?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Look at Yuneec's video, the one with the lady doing the talking. It does not mention about removing all data from the transmitter nor rebinding.. Where as the one put out by the British guy on her does.

Too much hassle to return as it was mail order. Besides all instructions say not to return to place of purchase.
Where did you buy it? If it is defective right out of the box, they should pay for shipping and even cross ship a replacement. Yuneec will certainly fix it, but it will probably take longer than returning it to the dealer you bought from.

Rebinding can solve retract issues, I've done it a few times...it can also solve a myriad of other issues. Glad you got the issue resolved...I've done it before for retract issues and when I updated the most recent firmware on one of my three H's I had retract issues and rebinding once again solved the issue...it also took care of some drifting on the same drone. When in doubt rebind.

Re-binding did not solve my retract issue. Both retract modules appear to be defective/inoperative from the mfg. As they are going to send me a new module, last night, I removed the one module that was locked in the gear up position and disassembled it. When the module was made it appears they had put some red paint on the screw shaft, that drives the carrier, near the end of what appear to be the normal end of travel, on both ends of the screw shaft. This paint apparently blocked or stopped the movement of the of the carrier on the screw shaft only allowing the carrier to move a short distance each time the gear switch was thrown. I took a 1 cell battery (LIPO) and applied voltage to the plus and minus terminals of the module and the motor ran (probably a little more voltage than is normally used) The extra voltage probably added enough torque to drive the carrier past the paint on the one end of the screw shaft. As it is a dc motor I reversed the leads and ran the carrier past the paint on the other end. I re-assembled the module, re installed it, and now that gear works properly. At least I can fly until the new module arrives for the other gear. Caution - Don't try this unless you have a little experience with taking very small electro-mechanical things apart. As there are some parts that you could drop on the floor and never find....It takes only 5 screws to split the cases apart and expose the workings. Good luck.....

Where did you buy it? If it is defective right out of the box, they should pay for shipping and even cross ship a replacement. Yuneec will certainly fix it, but it will probably take longer than returning it to the dealer you bought from.
I purchased it through Beach Camera... I will not send it in for repairs (read my last post). Yuneec will send the parts as it only takes the removal of two screws to remove the old module. The module slides out.

At least I can fly until the new module arrives for the other gear. Caution - Don't try this unless you have a little experience with taking very small electro-mechanical things apart. As there are some parts that you could drop on the floor and never find....It takes only 5 screws to split the cases apart and expose the workings. Good luck.....

Interesting. In hindsight, you might have made the supplier send you a replacement, most will do DOA's without hassle.

I had a leg motor assembly that I had to replace because the leg had broken off right at the housing. Out of nosiness, I later took the old one apart, and successfully put it back together, but with difficulty. Ingenious design. Note that several USA suppliers sell replacement parts like that one.

Did you try taking the one you are going to replace apart?

Go back and read my first post. Yes Yuneec is going to send me a new gear module, hopefully, both as when I called them both were bad.. That is the only reason why I took the one apart. When I get the new module I will take the second one apart and try to repair it also, and keep it as a spare, just in case. I understand this issue has been a problem for many, yet the customer service agent at Yuneec said he had never received a call about landing gear problems before. Yes the design is quite interesting to say the least. And, is difficult to work on because of its small size and my big hands...LOL But not impossible as I have already found out.

I had a similar problem after I reinstalled my landing arms, but was able to correct it easily.
What caused the problem is that I taped the antenna wires solidly at the spot right before they go into the antenna tubes.
I simply removed the tape allowing the antenna wires to freely slide in the antenna tubes and this fixed the issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval