Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Post your results of the 11-16-2016 firmware here.

Tell us about your experience with this update.

• I have installed the 11/16/2016 firmware.

Votes: 125 74.4%
  • I used the auto update using the ST16 menu.

Votes: 53 31.5%
  • I have flown following the update and everything seems to work as expected.

Votes: 82 48.8%
  • After updating I have a new problem.

Votes: 43 25.6%
  • The landing seems to have improved with this update.

Votes: 21 12.5%
  • I like the new accelerometer calibration.

Votes: 21 12.5%
  • I have tried the new muti ST16 connection to the camera.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I don't plan to install this update.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • It bricked my H

Votes: 18 10.7%

• Total voters
Well against my gut feeling, I went ahead and installed this firmware update. Now prior to this update, my Typhon H worked flawlessly and I've put 12 flights on it since purchasing it right before thanksgiving. It came with the system version B25 firmware. I had read several pages on what members on this forum were experiencing with this update. It seemed like the good out weighed the bad. So, I decided to install the latest firmware update. The controller updated just fine. Then it came time to install the firmware to the H and I decided to try the OTH (over the air) method. There were 3 parts of this firmware that installs to the H. The first part went fine, the 2nd part stalled and stalled then timed out. I had to try it again and again and again. It wouldn't complete the update to the H using the OTH method. I then noticed the H would not respond to the power button. The lights under the motors were illuminated but the H was dead with no response to anything. I pulled the battery to power it down.

After watching the video on Yuneec's YouTube channel how to revive a bricked H from this update, I was able to reinstall an old firmware version using the GUI windows software. Then I downloaded the latest firmware for the H and stored it on the SD card. After that I installed the memory card in to the H and the firmware installed perfectly.

I was so relieved I was able to get everything installed and now was ready to test fly the H to make sure everything was ok. I recalibrated the accelerometer and the camera gimbal on a perfectly level surface. I then went to the same field I've been flying the H and calibrated the compass facing N on my handheld compass. It took 3 tries to calibrate it which was very odd. Up until that point, calibrating was quick and easy and would always work on the first try. I went ahead and powered the H down and the ST16. I put the props on the H and powered up the ST16. It booted quickly and locked on to 11 satellites. Then I powered up the H and this is where it really got interesting. The H would find over 12 satellites and would stayed locked on to them for only a few seconds then the warnings started appearing on the ST16 stating land immediately in angle mode, compass calibration is required. This went on and on. After calibrating the compass again for the 4th time, the H powered up and there was no orange flash or warning on the ST16. I powered up the motors and lifted off in to a 3 foot hover. It held that hover perfectly and I wanted it to just sit there as I was expecting the unexpected. Sure enough, the compass lost the GPS lock and the errors started appearing on the ST16 screen. I landed immediately without incident and had enough.

I called Yuneec to discuss the issue. They had no fix for this over the phone and said I couldn't roll the firmware back to what it came with. They issued a return authorization and emailed a shipping label.

I'm happy Yuneec is offering to fix the problem and make things right. It's just really disappointing the firmware update has done more harm then good. She is all boxed up and will be shipped back to Yuneec on Monday. Hopefully I will get it back soon and be back up and running.

I'll make another post here when I get the H back and share whatever info Yuneec provides as to what the problem was and what they did to resolve it.

Jay

Well against my gut feeling, I went ahead and installed this firmware update. Now prior to this update, my Typhon H worked flawlessly and I've put 12 flights on it since purchasing it right before thanksgiving. It came with the system version B25 firmware. I had read several pages on what members on this forum were experiencing with this update. It seemed like the good out weighed the bad. So, I decided to install the latest firmware update. The controller updated just fine. Then it came time to install the firmware to the H and I decided to try the OTH (over the air) method. There were 3 parts of this firmware that installs to the H. The first part went fine, the 2nd part stalled and stalled then timed out. I had to try it again and again and again. It wouldn't complete the update to the H using the OTH method. I then noticed the H would not respond to the power button. The lights under the motors were illuminated but the H was dead with no response to anything. I pulled the battery to power it down.

After watching the video on Yuneec's YouTube channel how to revive a bricked H from this update, I was able to reinstall an old firmware version using the GUI windows software. Then I downloaded the latest firmware for the H and stored it on the SD card. After that I installed the memory card in to the H and the firmware installed perfectly.

I was so relieved I was able to get everything installed and now was ready to test fly the H to make sure everything was ok. I recalibrated the accelerometer and the camera gimbal on a perfectly level surface. I then went to the same field I've been flying the H and calibrated the compass facing N on my handheld compass. It took 3 tries to calibrate it which was very odd. Up until that point, calibrating was quick and easy and would always work on the first try. I went ahead and powered the H down and the ST16. I put the props on the H and powered up the ST16. It booted quickly and locked on to 11 satellites. Then I powered up the H and this is where it really got interesting. The H would find over 12 satellites and would stayed locked on to them for only a few seconds then the warnings started appearing on the ST16 stating land immediately in angle mode, compass calibration is required. This went on and on. After calibrating the compass again for the 4th time, the H powered up and there was no orange flash or warning on the ST16. I powered up the motors and lifted off in to a 3 foot hover. It held that hover perfectly and I wanted it to just sit there as I was expecting the unexpected. Sure enough, the compass lost the GPS lock and the errors started appearing on the ST16 screen. I landed immediately without incident and had enough.

I called Yuneec to discuss the issue. They had no fix for this over the phone and said I couldn't roll the firmware back to what it came with. They issued a return authorization and emailed a shipping label.

I'm happy Yuneec is offering to fix the problem and make things right. It's just really disappointing the firmware update has done more harm then good. She is all boxed up and will be shipped back to Yuneec on Monday. Hopefully I will get it back soon and be back up and running.

I'll make another post here when I get the H back and share whatever info Yuneec provides as to what the problem was and what they did to resolve it.

Jay
I just did the latest update and so far have not seen any problems but only one flight and it was in the freezing cold

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I got my H yesterday. I updated firmware before first flight. Had 3 flights today, no problems so far except Ice on propellers and camera (-4 celsius and fog). Flightlog-data is showing compass error 32 every time I put rectracts down, nothing on ST16. I was very skeptical reading about failures in this forum but H has worked nice so far.

I got my H yesterday. I updated firmware before first flight. Had 3 flights today, no problems so far except Ice on propellers and camera (-4 celsius and fog). Flightlog-data is showing compass error 32 every time I put rectracts down, nothing on ST16. I was very skeptical reading about failures in this forum but H has worked nice so far.

Yikes! Take care, or you may be flying on borrowed time.:D Does the Green Arrow point toward you fairly well at a distance? Calibrating the compass can be a bugger...

Yikes! Take care, or you may be flying on borrowed time.:D Does the Green Arrow point toward you fairly well at a distance? Calibrating the compass can be a bugger...
To be honest I do not remember seeing the green arrow at all. Maybe it was not there at all or I was too busy waiting for something to go wrong. Will check on next flight. Did the compass calibration 2 times successfully. Flying this thing is rewarding and same time scary waiting for disaster. Nothing like my Q500 which had over 120 flights, rocksolid every time.

To be honest I do not remember seeing the green arrow at all. Maybe it was not there at all or I was too busy waiting for something to go wrong. Will check on next flight. Did the compass calibration 2 times successfully. Flying this thing is rewarding and same time scary waiting for disaster. Nothing like my Q500 which had over 120 flights, rocksolid every time.

It's not that scary. Every post here leads you to believe it's problematic but the people who understand the H don't post success stories. It's not your slow safe Q which I also defer too for low impact work still. The compass stuff is full of misinformation and it is very touchy for sure but it's manageable and I've got it 100% down now where I'm stable on every flight. I stick to a rigorous pre flight set up now and have had zero issues that were caused by the machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tell us more about this preflight setup of yours please

I actually got the list from a previous thread on this forum. There is a list I printed and laminated and put in my case. The main prep I'm back to doing and got lazy on is making sure I've prepped a level pad and will not initialize the H unless it's sitting level. I've gotten into the habit of removing camera post flight so it's not hanging all the time in storage and easier to pop SD card out to load into editor.
I'm currently shooting winter sunrises and going for hover shots where you can watch the mountains light up and clouds change hue. It requires starting in blue dawn through golden hour and can be over 30 mins of shooting to get the perfect minute. Before I commit to the camera, I pop the H up about 8' and raise the gear and watch for drift. If I see some, I'll land and calibrate the compass using facing north on my prepped level pad as my starting point.
The other day I got a shot from my own backyard but had a left yaw drift. I checked the hardware monitor and sure enough left stick is acting funny. It took three ST calibrations but I got the stick back to proper ballistics.
My point has been on this forum since I joined is that this machine is very complicated and overly smart to the point of lulling you into some assumptions that can be crash causing. You cannot cut corners on getting the starting information correctly into the IMU and compass and it's overly sensitive to outside factors. Unfortunately, there are some gaps in the suggested procedure and starting level is one of them.

I'm fully aware some may want to dispute my conclusions so here is some proof of the H behaving the way I want it to.

I actually got the list from a previous thread on this forum. There is a list I printed and laminated and put in my case. The main prep I'm back to doing and got lazy on is making sure I've prepped a level pad and will not initialize the H unless it's sitting level. I've gotten into the habit of removing camera post flight so it's not hanging all the time in storage and easier to pop SD card out to load into editor.
I'm currently shooting winter sunrises and going for hover shots where you can watch the mountains light up and clouds change hue. It requires starting in blue dawn through golden hour and can be over 30 mins of shooting to get the perfect minute. Before I commit to the camera, I pop the H up about 8' and raise the gear and watch for drift. If I see some, I'll land and calibrate the compass using facing north on my prepped level pad as my starting point.
The other day I got a shot from my own backyard but had a left yaw drift. I checked the hardware monitor and sure enough left stick is acting funny. It took three ST calibrations but I got the stick back to proper ballistics.
My point has been on this forum since I joined is that this machine is very complicated and overly smart to the point of lulling you into some assumptions that can be crash causing. You cannot cut corners on getting the starting information correctly into the IMU and compass and it's overly sensitive to outside factors. Unfortunately, there are some gaps in the suggested procedure and starting level is one of them.

I'm fully aware some may want to dispute my conclusions so here is some proof of the H behaving the way I want it to.

I understand that it is probably good to start from lever surface but it is very hard to start flying from the level surface outside. I can't take level tool everytime I want to fly.

I understand that it is probably good to start from lever surface but it is very hard to start flying from the level surface outside. I can't take level tool everytime I want to fly.

I keep a torpedo level in my kit. Fits in your pocket. I'm not saying you have to do it but I can say without a doubt it's worth the trouble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I keep a torpedo level in my kit. Fits in your pocket. I'm not saying you have to do it but I can say without a doubt it's worth the trouble.
You are not only pilot, you are handyman as well :)
This torpedo level is ok but I am not sure how you level with this pocket tool. It is too small.
Anyway, this kind of tool usually has integrated magnet, this can't be good.

Jay
Same exact issue here...sent it back and awaiting the return now.

You are not only pilot, you are handyman as well :)
This torpedo level is ok but I am not sure how you level with this pocket tool. It is too small.
Anyway, this kind of tool usually has integrated magnet, this can't be good.

I'll post a picture of set up. You can pop the magnet out easily from the cheap harbor freight ones.

Hey Guys,

I made a firmware update video that could help those who are having issues updating!

Why are you not clearing flight data like yuneek specifies to do after st16 controller update mine went well with updates just came with video loss FlyAway's and trying to take back off after landing .I love my typhoon h but got to get it straightened out before I fly it again it flew fine with all updates till the last 3.01 firmware

Last edited:
Why are you not clearing flight data like yuneek specifies to do after st16 controller update mine went well with updates just came with video loss FlyAway's and trying to take back off after landing .I love my typhoon h but got to get it straightened out before I fly it again it flew fine with all updates till the last 3.01 firmware

I would like to start by saying that with the controller in the video, I am starting from scratch - a brand new controller with no flight log. Its straight out of the color box.

Now for my own controller-
I haven't found any issues resulting from not clearing the data. I have updated countless controllers for new units, customers, and my own.

Now I am not saying you don't have to, but I am saying that I haven't.

Up to you for whether or not you would like to for your own machine. I suppose it wouldn't hurt.

Hope this was helpful!

Maybe that's where our trouble is coming from yuneec saying clear flight data.mine was rock solid before this last update

Reactions: THoff
Maybe that's where our trouble is coming from yuneec saying clear flight data.mine was rock solid before this last update

A new unit is full of test data flights from China. The addition of clearing flight data popped up with this firmware update and now seems to be SOP with their update procedure. See what happens on next update.

Reactions: THoff
Just got an email from support. My H is on the way back with a new GPS circuit board. I would encourage anyone having GPS issues after an update to contact Yuneec support for this remedy. They are aware of the issue and will attempt to fix it. I will know for sure when I get it back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis