Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H & Mavic Pro.

So I have had my Mavic for over a week now. I have a few flights on it and I think it is great....but.
Let me step back a minute.
I remember when I was shopping for my Typhoon H that all the DJI fanboys were all over the H forums talking trash and how everything about the H was bad and how DJI does not put out junk like that. So now I have been spending some time on the Mavic thread on RC groups and some groups on Facebook and I find it funny all the people having problems with the Mavic. DJI has problems just like Yuneec.
Compass problems
Flyaways
Stick calibration making it unusable
App crashing on both android and IOS
The controller uses a magnetic sensor in place of the pots on the sticks and this can cause issues
Do not keep the controller in storage with the sticks pushed to one side
Do not wear and apple watch while flying or any thing that has magnets on it
Gimbal seams to get messed up easy in light crashes
and I'm sure there are other problems.

No I have not had any of the issues listed above and like my Mavic a lot. Will it replace my H..**** NO!!!
The camera on my mavic is very sharp, better than my H so now I want to get a better lens on my H.
The Mavic is a great small portable drone.
I now have
Typhoon H Pro with RS
Autel X-Star Premium
DJI Mavic Pro (Fly more combo)
S500 (In final flight tuning)
680UM Hex (under construction)
Tarot 680 Pro Hex (Kit still in box)
A few small FPV quadcopters
They all serve a purpose and not one of them is a do all drone.

Well said, Brandon. Very balanced observations from a member who actually owns what he discusses.
Thanks for the insight.

Honestly, that sounds like fun! By the way as an ex surfer, clearly there is VERY large surf breaking in that photo.

Edit: Wish I had known about places like this when I was single and dating my usual goddess O'the Month! Double LOL!

Yeah a storm was blowing in and surf was up, but you'll need a wetsuit. That's some cold cold water. And yeah, great place to take a date, but not very soundproof... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an H and I recently ordered the Mavic. It won't replace the H but it looks like a lot of fun and it's so **** small it can sure travel. Controller problems are now coming to light on the Mavic. None of these drones are without their own set of faults and anyone buying a drone of any kind should know that going in. I flew my H today as I do every few days and I would trust it with my life, well, maybe not my life but.....My H was one of the first ones delivered. I only did the first update way back when where we could now turn the GPS on and off. I have never done a compass calibration. I am on the original set of props. I fly the **** out of it. I flew at the beach today in SW Florida and it was windy as ****. Unless there is a storm I am not afraid to take it up in anything out there and it is always been solid as a rock. I am sure I will have a great time with the Mavic but the H is a warrior tank predictable and true.

I had not heard about the Mavic controller, oh well technology can never be perfect. I had also ordered the GoPro Karma and it appears that it is having more problems than any other drone on launch. GoPro only launched it in the US in limited quantities so far but if you go on YouTube and look for GoPro Karma Crash you'll see many many many videos of the drone losing GPS and flying away while locking the controller, or the engines just shut down in mid flight for no reason or it just flying out of control into something. Imagine if GoPro would have done a world launch and all the crashes that would have occured! The Typhoon H may have had issues, but it never just dropped out of the sky!

First video... Engines shut off in mid flight (plenty of these on YouTube). Second video, GPS cuts out and drone drifts with the wind into trees. No signal to controller.

Last edited:
Just curious, do you notice if it drifts more on any particular battery?
Maiden flight, fully charged battery had it hovering about 1.2m off ground, took it up a fraction higher to test control movement when by itself moved toward the controls(and Me) then took off at great speed till a tree stopped it.
Keep in mind this problem happened at the end of Sept and you may have noticed that there has not been many, if any fly aways in recent times I think there has been 2 firmware updates since then and I can see that the H will only get better. I do intend to take CaptainDrones advice and fly the pants off the thing when I get it back.

I am completely undecided. I do want another H as a backup and thinking of buying a second. On the other hand, the mavic size is a huge benefit to go anywhere.
Hmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!

I was sold on the Mavic from the first post i saw on this forum ironically. So....I got it this Tuesday but have only had time for several minutes of actual flight time so far. Will post again when I actually get a good feel for it. I can say that the size and portability of it are the main reason for purchasing it. Not a big fan of having to use my cell phone as a monitor though and although the st16 is quite beefy, I prefer the all in one controller. Maybe as time goes on it'll grow on me more.

I've had the Mavic Pro for about a week now. I can't really compare it to the Typhoon H as it's in a different drone class. I must admit that I do like it (it surpassed my expectations).

It has different features than the Typhoon which means it's useful in situations where you can maximize those features, which is the same for the Typhoon.

The video quality is really good for such a tiny camera. The tap to focus seems to be issue if you set it for a distance than fly closer to something (the opposite is also true) and forget to refocus. Most times, infinity focus works fine. I do find the FOV of the Typhoon and quality of video is more pleasing to the eye than the more narrow FOV of the Mavic.

The Typhoon's Achilles heel is it's portability and battery life.
The Mavic's Achilles heel is wind, especially wind gusts.

Here is a short video of the two.

Attachments

• IMG_2995.PNG
    IMG_2995.PNG
    227.7 KB · Views: 41

I think DJI 100% underestimated the demand for the MAVIC PRO and that was the reason they had it built on the smaller production line (as per all news reports). The larger production line was busy making the Phantom 4 Pro and the Inspire 2. According to DJI, the Phantom 4 Pro will be available for shipping in two weeks, which means there are a pile of them already built sitting in a warehouse. Makes sense I guess since they can use the same production line as the Phantom 4 and just interchange parts.

I think DJI 100% underestimated the demand for the MAVIC PRO and that was the reason they had it built on the smaller production line (as per all news reports). The larger production line was busy making the Phantom 4 Pro and the Inspire 2. According to DJI, the Phantom 4 Pro will be available for shipping in two weeks, which means there are a pile of them already built sitting in a warehouse. Makes sense I guess since they can use the same production line as the Phantom 4 and just interchange parts.

Do you have the breeze as well? For one who is just looking for a travel/selfie aerial UAV and not caring to fly it out 7 km away.. is the breeze in anyway comparable to the mavic? I see the Breeze is on sale.. but wonder is the mavic really worth the extra grand when you're not expecting professional grade photo quality.

A travel/selfie rig should be viewed as fairly disposable and priced accordingly. The Breeze actually fits that profile where the Mavic does not, if for no other reason than price. All these things could be viewed as "tools" and we should always select the right tool for the job. If doing simple things we really don't need high levels of sophistication. For selfie type stuff all you need is good stability, a good picture, and it has to work when you need it to. You don't need a Nikon or Canon when a cell phone will take the photo you want.

Reactions: liqrome
Do you have the breeze as well? For one who is just looking for a travel/selfie aerial UAV and not caring to fly it out 7 km away.. is the breeze in anyway comparable to the mavic? I see the Breeze is on sale.. but wonder is the mavic really worth the extra grand when you're not expecting professional grade photo quality.

With the new controller, the Breeze is a load of fun to fly, and very easy. The camera is not on a full gimbal though, so the quality of video is not as good. If you want something that you can throw in the air, take some fun footage and a few snaps, the Breeze is priced at a point where you can't really go wrong. It also works very well indoors, which opens up some interesting opportunities. The Mavic has the problem that it's priced at a point where you have to be pretty committed to buying a 'proper' drone, yet the camera is (by all reports) nothing special - the value is all in the portability. If you wanted a P3 but the size put you off, then the Mavic is the answer, but that assumes you've bought into the idea that DJI are the only game in town.

I've owned both... I now own just the Mavic.

Just about the only thing the H wins on is stability in wind. Everything else the Mavic just smokes the H.

I've owned both... I now own just the Mavic.

Just about the only thing the H wins on is stability in wind. Everything else the Mavic just smokes the H.

I think we can add losing a prop to that list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The BREEZE and the MAVIC PRO are in two different categories. The BREEZE is a selfie style drone designed with mostly taking snapshots of yourself & others, as well as scenery, from a higher aspect. The MAVIC PRO is a slimmed down PHANTOM 4 with a few extra capabilities tossed in. If you are someone who never takes the pictures off their phone, or does not create videos for family or YouTube or doesn't use photo editing software, then you're probably not going to be interested in the capabilities of the MAVIC PRO and the BREEZE would be more your speed.

Remember... DJI does not place the word "PROFESSIONAL" after any drone. It only does that if the drone has features a Professional or Hobby Professional would use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430