Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Yuneec's Typhoon H support is dead

A major US distributor went bust in 2017, owing Yuneec USA a very large sum (tens of millions), which put a lot of pressure on the company. So far it appears that they have weathered the storm and are starting 2018 with a solid line up of products.
Was that a real thing? I saw a single, very badly written article on this in an obscure place which looked for all the world as though it had been invented by a competitor. Also, it would be surprising not to have credit insurance in place.

[I have a drawer full of MAD books from the 50s and 60s which still make me smile. Maybe they'll be worth a fortune one day.]

The bankruptcy filing of a New York distribution center is factual and was reported in depth in several financial periodicals. The amount of unpaid for product left on the shelves to await reorganization was not mentioned but $10.3 million was the amount stated to be owed Yuneec. DJI is owed a few $millions more. The dollar amounts were obtained from a copy of the bankruptcy filing, which was made public.

Reactions: rdonson
Not sure about Pat's or Tuna's references but a distributor WYNIT with a few warehouses in the country including Minnesota and North Carolina stiffed Yuneec for over 7.1 million dollars along with many other companies like Canon (6 million) and Fitbit (31 million). Below is link to article from Sept. 2017. Tuna reports "tens of millions of dollars" I was not able to locate any information regarding losses of that amount. Perhaps you lads could be kind enough to post sources for your information if you have the time. Mine is from the local paper in NC which reported how the local WyNIT warehouse was closing due to chapter 11 filings it lists the companies involved who did business with WYNIT and their dollar losses. Perhaps this has something to do with Yuneec's US head announcing his abrupt resignation ....pure speculation but date of his departure was around this time.
WYNIT files Ch. 11 bankruptcy, owes at least $106 million

Last edited:
Thanks. $7m isn't loose change but it's a lot less than the $50m I saw touted in some online rag. And if the Chapter 11 is ongoing, presumably Yuneec will get some, or all, of that back over time. Or maybe, if they had credit insurance, they're not too bothered. It looks like slow sales of Fitbit kit was the main cause of the problem; but fast-evolving tech gear must always be risky hence I guess smart distributors will keep stocks down - perhaps explaining some of the delivery delays mentioned in this forum.

Thanks. $7m isn't loose change but it's a lot less than the $50m I saw touted in some online rag. And if the Chapter 11 is ongoing, presumably Yuneec will get some, or all, of that back over time. Or maybe, if they had credit insurance, they're not too bothered. It looks like slow sales of Fitbit kit was the main cause of the problem; but fast-evolving tech gear must always be risky hence I guess smart distributors will keep stocks down - perhaps explaining some of the delivery delays mentioned in this forum.
Yes the article mentioned WYNIT dealt with high tech items which necessitates fast rollover before new technology replaces it...

Like you I came to computing a long time ago. My first experiences being with an analog computer. IBM mainframes in college in the late 60's, etc. etc. etc. Homebrew computers until the first IBM PC then a lot of Windows machines from various manufacturers. These days I'm on a late 2017 Mac on the desktop with a quad core i7 processor, 40 GB RAM, SSD, a powerful video card with 8GB VRAM and a redundant storage array that can hold up to 64TB of data.

We don't program in the old school programming ways because it would take too long to create software like Final Cut Pro X, DaVinci Resolve, Adobe Premiere Pro, etc. and it would be more fragile code that would be a nightmare to update and maintain. Yes, I used to program to the "metal" in machine code, assembler then a whole series of now dead languages. It was more efficient use of RAM and processors but that came at a steep price. I remember looking at a mainframe app with a million lines of code and it was spaghetti unless the programmer meticulously commented in their code.

Today's layers of abstraction and modern programming languages enable a much faster development cycle and a more managed software development environment, IMHO. Incredibly powerful multicore, multithreaded processors and RAM are now affordable to most people.

I have no desire to go back to the "good old days".

Ron
I just loved some of the analog memory I saw in the oil fields.
Several large circuit boards with tantalum capacitors served as memory while the Analog to Digital circuits did the conversion to digital information. Not A to D chips, circuit boards.

I just loved some of the analog memory I saw in the oil fields.
Several large circuit boards with tantalum capacitors served as memory while the Analog to Digital circuits did the conversion to digital information. Not A to D chips, circuit boards.

If you like old gear you my appreciate this from my early career. Can you identify the circuit card on the left? What do you think of the card on the right? :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cwkIwXfsIZxieZkR2

If you like old gear you my appreciate this from my early career. Can you identify the circuit card on the left? What do you think of the card on the right? :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cwkIwXfsIZxieZkR2

Hey RD.... I’ll byte...

That’s looks like what we called “core” memory on the left. Could take the card out of one machine, put it into a different computer, and run the code stored in it.

A bit different in physical size and capacity of the “thumb drives” we have today.

Jeff

P.s. you got me for the image on the right.

Hey RD.... I’ll byte...

That’s looks like what we called “core” memory on the left. Could take the card out of one machine, put it into a different computer, and run the code stored in it.

A bit different in physical size and capacity of the “thumb drives” we have today.

Jeff

That old line seems appropriate: “There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who do not.”

Hey RD.... I’ll byte...

Jeff

Jeff, you win the prize on the core memory card!!!! Give the man a kewpie doll!!!! Actually that was a small buffer card from an old IBM machine. 32 bytes if memory serves me (pun intended).

The card on the right is an old plugin discrete component analog card. Circuits and gold connection tabs on the back side. It managed some voltages for something in a machine. A few transistors with one having a heat sink. A few diodes, capacitors, resistors and a small potentiometer for setting the precise voltage.

Ron

P.S. I speak binary, octal and hexadecimal. :)

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
Not sure about Pat's or Tuna's references but a distributor WYNIT with a few warehouses in the country including Minnesota and North Carolina stiffed Yuneec for over 7.1 million dollars along with many other companies like Canon (6 million) and Fitbit (31 million). Below is link to article from Sept. 2017. Tuna reports "tens of millions of dollars" I was not able to locate any information regarding losses of that amount. Perhaps you lads could be kind enough to post sources for your information if you have the time. Mine is from the local paper in NC which reported how the local WyNIT warehouse was closing due to chapter 11 filings it lists the companies involved who did business with WYNIT and their dollar losses. Perhaps this has something to do with Yuneec's US head announcing his abrupt resignation ....pure speculation but date of his departure was around this time.
WYNIT files Ch. 11 bankruptcy, owes at least $106 million

Would have swore I saw 10.3 in the documents I looked at way back then but the current certainly show Yuneec at 7.1 and DJI at 9.9 mil. The really bad part is those are both unsecured claims.

Like many of you, I came to Yuneec by way of DJI, as I owned a Phantom 3 Pro. When Yuneec initially announced the Typhoon H, I was quite impressed. After watching the videos from the 2016 CES, those impressions grew. Finally, after reading more than a few pre-release reviews, I was hooked, and made plans to purchase the Typhoon H…once I could sell my Phantom 3 Pro. Unfortunately, once received, those impressions sadly sank, as I immediately began to experience several problems. Thankfully, most problems were quickly resolved through the first several software & firmware updates. Unfortunately, two of the biggest problems – sub-par video resolution quality, and poor image quality due to a lens that was never properly focused. The supposed 4K camera couldn’t even produce 1080p level resolution…it was closer to 720p, if that. As for focus, many have turned to 3rd-party businesses, such as Carolina Dronz, to correctly focus our CGO3+ lenses. However, the lack of support these past six months…and now information that Yuneec is dropping support for the Typhoon H…is the last straw.

My fellow Typhoon H owners, we deserve better than how Yuneec has treated us. First, they announced a product that, in reality, never lived up to the promises they made. Next, there were constant delays in getting the product into the hands of consumers. Moving forward, few of the modules/upgrades they said would be available ever made it into production. And, finally, they are releasing the “sequel” to the Typhoon H, and have dropped support on a product that has been out less than two years (and should have at least a few more years of life).

That being said, I’ve sent a very “interesting” email to Yuneec, in hopes that they might be willing to offer some sort of resolution to owners of the pre-Typhoon H Plus (especially those of us who own the 1st-gen unit, with the original 2-antenna ST16). Due to the email’s length, I will refrain from posting it here. However, I wanted those reading this to not only know they are not alone in their frustrations against Yuneec, but that there are those who are willing to take some sort of stand against Yuneec. When (or if) they reply, I will post (possibly a shortened version, depending on its length) it here. Until then, keep flying.

That being said, I’ve sent a very “interesting” email to Yuneec, in hopes that they might be willing to offer some sort of resolution to owners of the pre-Typhoon H Plus (especially those of us who own the 1st-gen unit, with the original 2-antenna ST16). Due to the email’s length, I will refrain from posting it here. However, I wanted those reading this to not only know they are not alone in their frustrations against Yuneec, but that there are those who are willing to take some sort of stand against Yuneec. When (or if) they reply, I will post (possibly a shortened version, depending on its length) it here. Until then, keep flying.

I suppose you have sent your email to whom it concerns.... Yuneec in China?

:confused:

Besides... there is nothing wrong with my H 480 pro RS with stock CGO3+ (@ 4K).
I am quite content, never had any issue nor frustration.

:)

Like many of you, I came to Yuneec by way of DJI, as I owned a Phantom 3 Pro. When Yuneec initially announced the Typhoon H, I was quite impressed. After watching the videos from the 2016 CES, those impressions grew. Finally, after reading more than a few pre-release reviews, I was hooked, and made plans to purchase the Typhoon H…once I could sell my Phantom 3 Pro. Unfortunately, once received, those impressions sadly sank, as I immediately began to experience several problems. Thankfully, most problems were quickly resolved through the first several software & firmware updates. Unfortunately, two of the biggest problems – sub-par video resolution quality, and poor image quality due to a lens that was never properly focused. The supposed 4K camera couldn’t even produce 1080p level resolution…it was closer to 720p, if that. As for focus, many have turned to 3rd-party businesses, such as Carolina Dronz, to correctly focus our CGO3+ lenses. However, the lack of support these past six months…and now information that Yuneec is dropping support for the Typhoon H…is the last straw.

My fellow Typhoon H owners, we deserve better than how Yuneec has treated us. First, they announced a product that, in reality, never lived up to the promises they made. Next, there were constant delays in getting the product into the hands of consumers. Moving forward, few of the modules/upgrades they said would be available ever made it into production. And, finally, they are releasing the “sequel” to the Typhoon H, and have dropped support on a product that has been out less than two years (and should have at least a few more years of life).

Hmmm. Seems like you've been unlucky with your unit. Mine is also a first generation unit and I have to say that i'm fairly satisfied. Yes, the camera could have been better, but I find that mine is good enough for most purposes.

Yuneec are not dropping support for the H480 and, indeed, have recently announced a new camera to go on it, and is expected to be available in the summer.

Panther,

Please share your confirmed source(s) stating "Yuneec is dropping support for the Typhoon H."

If the only sources are forums such as this, with headlines as this current thread, it pays to read the whole thread before believing the headline. Many of these are simply rants or pressure relief valves opening.

While I, too, understand frustrations with individual units, piling on the manufacturer with unsubstantiated claims helps no one. Also, "...take a stand against Yuneec..."? I'd rather band together in support of Yuneec, letting them know we are still committed to their line, and wish them the best to continue support of existing product, and development of new capabilities, options, and product lines.

Flush and others have already refuted the OP's claim. Let's try to stick to facts versus conjecture. The latter is good fun when relating to "what do you think will be in the latest gizmo?" but not so much when all it does is stir up hostilities.

Not saying people are not deserving to express their opinions, but rather think first whether something stated will help or harm "the cause".

Jeff

---Just my humble opinion, of course!

Those of you who are unhappy with Yuneec and depending on what day it is sometimes I'm in that camp...should wander over to the Inspire 2 boards. It turns out the motors on those units are only held on by glue and motors have been dropping off. There are discussions about using tape to hold the frame together and about a clamping kit from New Zealand which you can buy for a couple hundred dollars to hold the motors / frames intact...sprinkled with comments about DJI's periodic quiz which comes on your controller which asks you questions before you launch to see if you know what you're doing and their now infamous NFZ implementation which takes control of your drone which you have to contact DJI to unlock so you can fly....the long and the short of this parable is that things could be worse and I'm glad there is someone out there like Yuneec besides DJI. I had to do a job 1.5 miles from a class C airport..it was a story about a community garden project where I would be flying below tree level about 30 ft. in the air. I brought both DJI and Yuneec I will leave it up to you which one would launch and which one would not. I enjoy sharing what I know and what I've learned from fellow Yuneec flyers here.

I like the fact when I bought my H, I owned it. I have seen too many DJI videos where the pilot was in clear violation of the FCC Line of Sight. One I saw the knuckle head flew above the clouds and was at least two miles from the operator. Predictably he ran out of power and crashed. He did not find it until a week later.
I will not fly beyond LOS.

Yet there are posts from new users at this very minute telling a different story. From another thread on this forum today where a H user needed help with completing a calibration - he said the following in his second post;

"I had also contacted Yuneec and the customer service rep informed me that I have to complete the process in 30 seconds. This is where I went wrong. I was being slow and meticulous of course. I'm pretty sure that with all of this new information, I can get it calibrated. Or at least keep myself busy, off the streets, and out of trouble. Thanks again for the help!"

The original post was made at 12:05 this afternoon and his second post was at 1:26 - just 1 hour and 21 minutes later. I dunno - that sounds like pretty good CS to me.

Here is the thread - Yuneec Customer Support Worked
Always good to see someone had gotten good CS. I have spent 20 hrs on the phone, 4 trips and 4.5 months without my unit that I use for my business. Crashed H 3 times and no fault of my own. Finally got a new unit, Awesome. I thought Yuneec was stepping up. Camera gimbal doesn't work, because green wire is broken. So you can say CS is doing a good job. I can say they are not. and It is too bad, I was really wanting my H to perform. It has cost me a few thousand just from lost gigs. As far as them owing money to suppliers, well I found that out on wikipedia. Safe flying.

I suppose it's necessary to define what someone means when they state "H support is dead". Does that mean you can't obtain service or parts for the H or that new firmware won't be developed and distributed, or all of that? Even if new firmware developments have terminated, which is totally understandable where marketing and profitability are concerned, there's no reason to believe customer support has ended, or will anytime soon. Yuneec's history has established they maintain customer service support for their products long after their products cease active production. Parts support has also been maintained.

It's absolutely naive' to think or hope any consumer drone company will maintain model production and product improvements for any given platform forever. Technology moves too fast and companies cannot remain in business giving away free software. They make the money necessary to pay their bills and themselves by selling product, and those products have to be able to compete against the products being released on a semi annual or faster basis from other companies. Those that believe platforms should last and be supported forever are only thinking selfishly, hoping the money they spent for a platform would be a once in a lifetime expense. The H, and the 520, are both limited. No matter what firmware or new products anyone comes up with they are extremely limited in "useful load", so larger and/or stronger units will be replacing them over time as new payloads are developed.

For the most part the H has been "done" for awhile now, only lacking programming necessary for simple waypoint operations. As the 520 was developed using waypoint navigation as a prime feature they receive no financial benefit by pushing that to the H. If they start adding improved but larger and heavier cameras the H flight time will be reduced, with a massive increase in complaints over reduced flight time. Right after that people would start complaining about how their SD cards won't handle the increased data stream from a higher resolution camera, and how better cards cost more. It would be a no win situation for the manufacturer.

I don't see product support being dead at all, but I can easily understand why model type expansion may have reached an end.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop