Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

A situation developed after repairs were rendered on a Tyhoon H, by me.

Couple more things that might provide a clue:
1.) Did anything change between the last time the GPS acquired quickly, and the first time you had to wait.
2.) Have you tried, (or can you try) a different controller?
3.) Can you upload the flightlogs from the ST16 for review?
4.) Can you upload a screenshot of the ST16 after it has been "acquiring" for a few minutes?
1. At the same time that I changed out the GPD module I also switched to a refurbished ST16 with the three antennas. I was thinking of doing the third antenna upgrade myself and then I found this refurbished one for a good price. What all do I have to do if I swap out ST16 controllers? I do know that this wasn't just an open box because there are some photos, and flight data on it form I'm guessing the previous owner. The data is from 1,200 miles away if that matters. If I go back and use my original ST16 is there a step by step procedure for this? I would just go thru the binding procedure.
2. Yes, as noted above I've tried another controller, but only the one other controller.
3. I will try and upload the flightlogs. I will do it and you let me know if its the right ones or done the correct way please.
4. I will take a screen shot of the controller while acquiring.
I am working so I will get you the information as soon as I can. If the weather is good I will try and fly after work and upload your requested information at the latest. Thanks all for the help.

Did you tested with or without camera? I would like to see if behaviour changed if cam was removed. Just a try into the blue.
Was to drone pointed to north when you took screenshot? Yaw is different.
GPS signal strength is very good. Looks perfect as WTFDproject already said.

... that's the point.
GPS module changed but the problem persists when I understand right. So, the probability that the root cause was the GPS module is very low.
I would focus now on the mainboard. Never tried, but is ist possible to flash the same drone firmware again? I would try this.

br HE
I can try without the camera. Wont the controller keep searching for it?
Drone was pointed North on the GUI screen shots.
The previous GPS module wasn't working so well. I waited probably 30 minutes to get the first flight. I put a second battery in and never could get a GPS lock again so I quit. I thought that I read flashing the firmware could result in a bad outcome, I don't know. Thanks

You had already mentioned a lot of trees in your area. Things like power lines, metal buildings, etc. can also create GPS issues. Do you have the same problems when trying to fly in other locations?

You had already mentioned a lot of trees in your area. Things like power lines, metal buildings, etc. can also create GPS issues. Do you have the same problems when trying to fly in other locations?
When I tried flying I went to my flying field the first time. See map Red Star. No power line or trees involved. That park has been closed due to virus so last time I went to a local park (see map Purple Star) in the middle of a corn field. I looked at an aviation map and I fall within some of the rings of Philadelphia airport and near a local airport.

Attachments

• 3-2020_TH.jpg
    3-2020_TH.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: WTFDproject
In general, what we know so far is pointing to an issue with the flight controller. But it would be good to eliminate easier possibilities first.

You noted above you had tried the other controller. If you have tried BOTH controllers on the new GPS unit, that would already eliminate the controller as the issue.

If you have NOT tried both controllers on the new GPS, I think the next step should be to try the other one.
And yes, swapping back to the other ST16 is only a matter of binding the drone to the controller again.

Screen shots from BOTH controllers would be good.

Couple more things that might provide a clue:
1.) Did anything change between the last time the GPS acquired quickly, and the first time you had to wait.
2.) Have you tried, (or can you try) a different controller?
3.) Can you upload the flightlogs from the ST16 for review?
4.) Can you upload a screenshot of the ST16 after it has been "acquiring" for a few minutes?
Attached are the flightlogs for 3-22 and 23.
Thanks.
Rick

PS What program do you use to evaluate these, what are you looking for, please

Attachments

• FlightLogs_3-22_23-2020.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 9
PS What program do you use to evaluate these, what are you looking for, please
"Q500Log2KML" written by an outstanding member, @h-elsner. This link will lead to the download site. The download includes a large instruction manual, but we will probably need to assist your learning curve. We can do that in PM better than here.
"Need Help... H Plus flight Log Data"

We are basically looking for any anomaly that might be a clue, of course. But the first thought is to try to track the GPS signal through your system. The GUI tells us what is happening inside the drone. The flight logs can tell us what is actually being reported to the controller via the "Telemetry" section, and may have clues in the "Remote" section of what the controller is doing (or not doing) with whatever it is receiving. There are other possibilities that can also be reviewed via the flight logs. The credibility of the downlink can be checked, for instance.
You didn't download the entire flight log, but if we had that, we could go back in time looking for specific parameters that changed, either abruptly, or gradually. We may need to go that route later. For now we can start with what you sent.

When I tried flying I went to my flying field the first time. See map Red Star. No power line or trees involved. That park has been closed due to virus so last time I went to a local park (see map Purple Star) in the middle of a corn field. I looked at an aviation map and I fall within some of the rings of Philadelphia airport and near a local airport.
Both locations are in Class G airspace with overlying Class C from 3500 feet to 7000 feet. So ok to fly as long as there are no TFR’s in place.

From the flight logs:
#00021 and #00022 have no sats, no coordinates and also ST16 has no GPS values. GPS flag is set all the time = gps_status=1. However, those we can ignore.

#00019: GPS flag in IMU_status and pressure_compass_status is set all the time = gps_status=1, means GPS is on (I think this is the same as GUI shows sensor green). After a short intervall coordinates will be recorded and gps_AccH is plausible. 14-20 sats. Here we should have a GPS ready indicated by gps_used=true. There are only 3 short intervalls where we got it and at this time the Controller GPS flag is set in IMU status (=225).
The big question is, why the drone did not get the GPS-OK from the controller. RemoteGPS shows that there are coordinates and the accuracy is not bad.

#00020: GPS flag in IMU_status and pressure_compass_status is set all the time = gps_status=1. Coordinates are immediately available and gps_AccH is plausible. 16-18 sats. Here we should have a GPS ready indicated by gps_used=true. But again there is no controller GPS (C-GPS) flag at all and we get never GPS ready (gps_used = true).
RemoteGPS shows that there are coordinates and the accuracy is pretty good.

C-GPS is neccessary for the Smart mode.

br HE

@PSUTEX,
The flight logs you provided have a total of 4 "flights". 2 on 03/22 and 2 on/032. The first two were in a cornfield, the second two just outside your house. Were all four with the same GPS installed and all four using the replacement controller?

"Q500Log2KML" written by an outstanding member, @h-elsner. This link will lead to the download site. The download includes a large instruction manual, but we will probably need to assist your learning curve. We can do that in PM better than here.
"Need Help... H Plus flight Log Data"

We are basically looking for any anomaly that might be a clue, of course. But the first thought is to try to track the GPS signal through your system. The GUI tells us what is happening inside the drone. The flight logs can tell us what is actually being reported to the controller via the "Telemetry" section, and may have clues in the "Remote" section of what the controller is doing (or not doing) with whatever it is receiving. There are other possibilities that can also be reviewed via the flight logs. The credibility of the downlink can be checked, for instance.
You didn't download the entire flight log, but if we had that, we could go back in time looking for specific parameters that changed, either abruptly, or gradually. We may need to go that route later. For now we can start with what you sent.
By not the entire flight log do you mean more types of files or longer duration of files? I didn't get it to fly.
Thanks

Yeah. The term "flight" is used loosely to mean anything that recorded data.
A full set of flight logs can be obtained using these directions. To have the full history, we would need them from both controllers.

Attachments

• Typhoon H Flight Log Retrieval.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
@PSUTEX,
The flight logs you provided have a total of 4 "flights". 2 on 03/22 and 2 on/032. The first two were in a cornfield, the second two just outside your house. Were all four with the same GPS installed and all four using the replacement controller?
I will read the pdf you sent and send new flight logs. I now realize the other flight log of actual flight is on the other controller. I will also send from there. Thanks again.
Rick

What day and about what time did you swap the GPS?
I believe it was Saturday in the afternoon.
Thanks you for that pdf on how to upload Flight logs it was great.
Do you happen to have a similar document on the program you use and how to evaluate the Flight Logs?
Thanks.

I believe it was Saturday in the afternoon.
Thanks you for that pdf on how to upload Flight logs it was great.
Do you happen to have a similar document on the program you use and how to evaluate the Flight Logs?
Thanks.
The download of the Q500log2kml program has an extensive manual in pdf format.

The program is self contained and does not rely on outside libraries like C+ or Java. In Windows you have to give permission for the program to run. I have been using this program for 2 years and it is my #1 tool for analyzing most Yuneec models‘ telemetry.

@PSUTEX,
I've attached a "summary" of the things I see in the Flightlog data. The summary itself is something of a bear to digest. From what I see, here is what I suggest:

1.) Remove the top shell and clean the contacts on the FC Board. It just unplugs, but be sure to align the pins carefully when re-installing. It will plug in one pin off, but it will not work that way, of course.
2.) Take it to the cornfield. I don't think you will get GPS at home.
3.) Try it with the NEW controller first.
4.) Try it with the OLD controller.
5.) If either controller works at the cornfield, then try it at the house.

If nothing works, it becomes an Easter Egg hunt. I would suggest:
a.) New FC board.
b.) New RF module in the drone.
c.) Maybe at least find someone with a known good ST16 to try.

The recommendation for the cornfield is because the data never clearly shows success at the house. If it has happened, that would be good to know.

The recommendation to try another ST16 is because the "NEW" ST16 has some ambiguous performance indicators in its history.

The recommendation to try the "OLD" ST16 comes from the first attempt you made after replacing the GPS module. You were using the "OLD" ST16. You let it have about an hour to acquire, but it never did. What you could not see was the readings were getting steadily better during that hour, and were still improving. This is not uncommon for a new GPS unit, or a KIT that has been in storage. It is POSSIBLE, (not certain) that had you shut down and immediately tried again, you may have achieved GPS acquisition.

Another observation was that the troubles began at the end of a flight on September 06, 2019 at about 4:30 in the evening. I can't tell what happened yet. That will take more study. If you recall anything about that flight, it would be helpful.

Attachments

• PSUTEX.zip
    9.7 KB · Views: 3
@PSUTEX,
I've attached a "summary" of the things I see in the Flightlog data. The summary itself is something of a bear to digest. From what I see, here is what I suggest:

1.) Remove the top shell and clean the contacts on the FC Board. It just unplugs, but be sure to align the pins carefully when re-installing. It will plug in one pin off, but it will not work that way, of course.
2.) Take it to the cornfield. I don't think you will get GPS at home.
3.) Try it with the NEW controller first.
4.) Try it with the OLD controller.
5.) If either controller works at the cornfield, then try it at the house.

If nothing works, it becomes an Easter Egg hunt. I would suggest:
a.) New FC board.
b.) New RF module in the drone.
c.) Maybe at least find someone with a known good ST16 to try.

The recommendation for the cornfield is because the data never clearly shows success at the house. If it has happened, that would be good to know.

The recommendation to try another ST16 is because the "NEW" ST16 has some ambiguous performance indicators in its history.

The recommendation to try the "OLD" ST16 comes from the first attempt you made after replacing the GPS module. You were using the "OLD" ST16. You let it have about an hour to acquire, but it never did. What you could not see was the readings were getting steadily better during that hour, and were still improving. This is not uncommon for a new GPS unit, or a KIT that has been in storage. It is POSSIBLE, (not certain) that had you shut down and immediately tried again, you may have achieved GPS acquisition.

Another observation was that the troubles began at the end of a flight on September 06, 2019 at about 4:30 in the evening. I can't tell what happened yet. That will take more study. If you recall anything about that flight, it would be helpful.
Wow, Thank you for all of this. I will try what you suggested later today.
Best way to clean since I'm assuming they are really tiny? Wipe with alcohol que tip?
I have a question on the way I downloaded and sent you the Flight log. I'm assuming it sends all flight data on the ST16, not just for a specific flight. So I'm guessing there is a lot of information?
What software do you use to look at the Flight Log?
Thanks
Rick

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval