Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First Test Flight

Center in which direction, vertical or horizontal? If your problem is the vertical, check the gimbal switch on the left, put it in the upper position. After that rotate the left slider to the upper position. All that is sorta in the factory manual but better explained in the sire developed manual.

BTW, I’m not a forum “nazi”, just someone that likes to help people learn to help themselves. In a previous life I taught people how to fly RC, from beginner to giant scale 3D, later much larger UAV’s, and starting 3 years ago multirotors. My students found paying attention to their instructor moved them forward, complaining about bad manuals from China did nothing. Take the initiative, read the site document and dive in.

Reactions: rdonson
I am reading the Stickied Modified Manual. I am trying to copy the text to no avail concerning Compass Calibration.
In a nutshell it does not say to do Compass Calibration before first flight. Really it is funny how people act on a forum, it is all too familiar. I deal with the truth and facts, and I always need proof.

Sorry I couldn't make you happy. You're on your own from my side. Perhaps others will want to help you.

I am reading the Stickied Modified Manual. I am trying to copy the text to no avail concerning Compass Calibration.
In a nutshell it does not say to do Compass Calibration before first flight. Really it is funny how people act on a forum, it is all too familiar. I deal with the truth and facts, and I always need proof.

Do as you wish. The comments you've received are done in a spirit of helping you get started. The advice is based on experience and facts. You may choose to ignore them or think that somehow the members of this forum are acting against your interests. Your choice. Nobody here is ill intentioned or malicious.

I appreciate any useful help, but I need consistency and facts, so far there have been many statements that could not be backed up with facts, so naturally I have to do what I feel is best for me, my drone and the neighbors.

You sound like an engineer, who wants all the facts, and if isn't in front of you or spoken to you, you want more. You are over engineering this whole process. My dad was an Eng., I lived with it, it's not fun. Let go of your expectations you will have more fun in life. I don't make any apologies being blunt, but some folks need to slapped back to earth!

I appreciate any useful help, but I need consistency and facts, so far there have been many statements that could not be backed up with facts, so naturally I have to do what I feel is best for me, my drone and the neighbors.

"but I need consistency and facts," KEEP IT SIMPLE!:rolleyes: "so naturally I have to do what I feel is best for me" How do you know what is best for you if you don't listen to the experts, and you have no idea what your doing?!
Not worth my time with stubbornness.

What would you consider a “fact” that you need? What constitutes a “fact” for you? Do “facts” only come from Yuneec manuals?

I spent 20 years in manufacturing engineering and then 20 years in IT. I’m well versed in science, the scientific method and experimentation.

Reactions: AH-1G
"but I need consistency and facts," KEEP IT SIMPLE!:rolleyes: "so naturally I have to do what I feel is best for me" How do you know what is best for you if you don't listen to the experts, and you have no idea what your doing?!
Not worth my time with stubbornness.

What would you consider a “fact” that you need? What constitutes a “fact” for you? Do “facts” only come from Yuneec manuals?

I spent 20 years in manufacturing engineering and then 20 years in IT. I’m well versed in science, the scientific method and experimentation.

Are you guys serious? I know what is best for me, and that is using my own judgment and following manufacturers instructions. I do have in fact an idea what I am doing. I have been flying RC for almost 10 years and have never lost or crashed an aircraft. It is funny the reactions you get on a Forum, any Forum, and it is always the same thing that happens with the members who think they are in charge. BTW I have a degree in Electronics and operate my own Electric company, just sayin!

Reactions: klattu
Give Yueec a call then. They can give you the facts. Compass calibration is a necessary procedure to keep your H GPS system accurate. It’s clearly stated as the only thing you need to do pre first take off. Since discovery is not apparently factual then no one here can satisfy you since most of us are relaying anecdotal experiences with the hope others find what we say helpful.

To that end, members here have even rewritten the manual with better information on many of the autonomous features of Typhoon H. The I’ve flown RC line means little as most everyone here has as well. The question is how many hours do you have on the Typhoon H 480?

What you learn is It is very much it’s own machine that requires a lot of operator experience to use confidently for great videos and photos. I’m breaking in my fourth one with real sense and it’s “learning” my areas and I know from experience that routine compass calibration repeated over many days will yield a reliable and steady hover that makes for great videos. You don’t have to edit around jello and shake and wild white balance swings once you really master the camera settings and controls. Captain Drone actually provided the best tutorial video on the last camera update and it’s more factual then anything Yuneec has ever provided. Tuna knows more about the workings of the whole flight system then Yuneec does as well and his advice on this forum has helped many of us out.

So, If we don’t know what we are talking about then document how much your approach works better and share that with everyone here interested. We all know how to flip the bird around and some do it sloppy like Yuneec shows with the camera on and gimbal working overtime during flips and some like me, have a ritual that has always worked based on calibrating Yuneec multirotors since the Blade 350. Personally, I always face North because originally that’s what that compass board wanted on the 350. While the 480 has a more sophisticated IMU, it’s still the same compass board surface mounted onto the GPS module so while it’s not a stated fact, experience backs up doing the same procedure.

The point is all of us have our own method of when and how to calibrate but we know it’s a must on any new purchase, firmware update, GPS replacement, or post crash and repairs. You of course are entitled to do what you want but discounting this forum because it’s not factual enough is discouraging help and sowing more confusion especially here at Christmas time when today is crash day worldwide. Merry Christmas and good luck with your flying.

Last edited:
I have already called Yuneec many times, even before I bought either of them. I am going to call them tomorrow anyway to see when my newest one will be shipped. I don't know why everyone is having a hissy fit over all this, but I am not surpassed having been on many Forums over the last 10 years.

These are all great videos and helped me out tremendously. The yuneec manual is crap, the one on here is light years better but also a work in progress. Perhaps since this drone is a little more advanced than others, it was assumed by Yuneec that some fundimentals should go without saying. Therefore the manual seems lacking....who knows. However i have been here less than a week....or just at it and the advice here has been reliable. Regardless of the manual.

Not recognizing the need for compass calibration demonstrates someone lacks comprehension of advanced flight controller logic and the purpose of the compass.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smyers