Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First Test Flight

Not recognizing the need for compass calibration demonstrates someone lacks comprehension of advanced flight controller logic and the purpose of the compass.
I switched from VFR to IFR......lol.A compass heading not only would help in navigation but might help in troubleshooting as well.

Good luck with thinking the factory satisfactorily calibrated everything. You realize that calibrating the compass in China is worthless.

Not to mention, hundreds of miles away. Do compass calibration, what’s the issue. You wanna take chance of it not coming home if you get into trouble?

Not to mention, hundreds of miles away. Do compass calibration, what’s the issue. You wanna take chance of it not coming home if you get into trouble?
Just so there is no continued misunderstanding , I am well aware of the significance of a properly calibrated System. I insist on proper calibration whether it's my O Scopes or other test equipment. In this instance I wanted to make sure that this drone was a keeper and the basic functions will work before I get engaged in complete calibrations. Which of course I will. And as of now it seems this drone is a keeper

I wonder if the Compass Calibration is to adjust for the misalignment of True North with Magnetic North?[emoji57]

Magnetic as the compass in the flight controller is not calibrated to allow for declination, nor does it have an allowance to input local values. It functions the same as a whiskey compass.

Magnetic as the compass in the flight controller is not calibrated to allow for declination, nor does it have an allowance to input local values. It functions the same as a whiskey compass.
That answered an earlier question i had..

Interesting thing about Yuneec instruction manuals but you have to spend a lot of time to figure it out. If you delve into all their product manuals in combination you find much of the info that’s missing from individual product manuals. Things like aircraft orientation prior to starting a compass cal,the direction it should be rotated, stopping a video before shutting down the aircraft, correct battery storage voltage, using camera settings, etc.

I don’t understand why they haven’t put everything specific to a particular product into a single document. Those that have owned a few different Yuneec aircraft have likely noticed that Yuneec systems share a lot of commonality. What is applicable for one is often applicable to all the others. Someone reading the Typhoon 4k, Typhoon H, and 920 manuals would find a lot of questions answered.

Last edited:
^^^^This. When I was researching which Multi rotor I was going to get last year, I spent a few months lurking this forum (before even joining) and reading up on both the Q500 4K and the Typhoon H and quickly began to see this very thing PatR mentions. The difference in compass calibration was just one of the first I noticed but thanks to this forum all of the information regarding pointing North, no metal, removing cell phones and even the controller itself, re-calibrating after distance traveled or when new. The wealth of information here has paid off. Also if anyone does go back and read through the topics going back a year or more you will also see that the information and some procedures have changed, due to either firmware updates or just a better understanding of the equipment.

Second hand knowledge is good but first hand knowledge is always the best. If it’s in a book it’s second hand, and was put there by someone hopefully having first hand.

I did follow directions, I read the manuals and watched videos. Nowhere does it say you have to calibrate before first flight and also no specifics about the controller being 11 feet away. Please do not pull this "Forum Nazi" tactic with me, I am on many, many forums and there is always someone who acts like this. It does no good for the benefit of all the Forum members.

There are also always dudes on forums that act as you do.

Tiresome really.

Happy flights!

Victory Pete.
You will do well to properly consider the advice that you have been given by the experienced pilots in this forum...a few of which can boast more 'In The Field' knowledge of the H480 system than the actual manufacturer.

The manufacturer's manual sucks...get over it and move on. Do your calibrations before your first flight or stand an increased risk of it crashing. The H480 is not a beginners mutilator and can easily bite the unwary, but at the same time if used properly can give outstanding service.

just my tuppence worth.

Victory Pete.
You will do well to properly consider the advice that you have been given by the experienced pilots in this forum...a few of which can boast more 'In The Field' knowledge of the H480 system than the actual manufacturer.

The manufacturer's manual sucks...get over it and move on. Do your calibrations before your first flight or stand an increased risk of it crashing. The H480 is not a beginners mutilator and can easily bite the unwary, but at the same time if used properly can give outstanding service.

just my tuppence worth.

I am not a beginner.

In another forum he’d already be on lock down. If I hadn’t done it at least two others would have.

Reactions: AH-1G

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Polenutrition