Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First Time Above The CLOUDS!

Reaction score
Before you freak out, just know that I was within my limits as a pilot :) The fog was quite thick and low on this day and it might have been the very FIRST time that timing was on my side when it comes to flying the Typhoon H. Enjoy.

Have you flown in this situation before? I wish I would've bummed around up there a little longer as it makes for great "B-roll". I was just too freaked out by not being able to see exactly where I was from the ground, even though I knew I was above everything around me. Cannot wait to do it again!

Last edited:
2. Maintain visual line of sight.
This is the technical way of saying to always make sure that you can see your drone in plain sight at all times. You may not rely solely on your drone’s FPV camera or use vision-assisted aides such as binoculars or telescopes (correctional lenses, however, are okay). Also fog and clouds can impede your vision of your drone as well.o_O

I'm not going to pile on as AH-1G has already stated quite eloquently the "rules of the sky," at least for those who are actually certified UAS pilots.

I will say I wish there was a way to do this safely and within the rules, as the effect is quite cool, as witnessed by the video. Just be careful and make sure to draw within the lines. We don't need more regulations and we also want to be sure nothing "above the clouds" has to watch out for things that should not be there.

Jeff

Reactions: skwty
Thanks for the input guys. I am aware of "line of sight" and that when I said I was "within my limits", I may not have been based on that specific detail. However, going straight up and straight down, via the camera and under the 400' threshold, in a residential area I am very familiar with, I felt I was near that line.

I realize that regulations make enjoying this hobby harder and fly responsibly the other 99.9% of the time. If the fog bank would have been higher, I would have just landed and called it a day. :)

Rules state 3 statue miles viably no less than 500 get below cloud and no less than 2000 ft horizontally.

"If you can see through it for a distance of 3NM (or visually down 500 ft, or visually up 1000ft), then its not a cloud; its just some moisture."

Last edited:
About the only place I can think of where you could legally and safely fly in a cloud is in the mountains.
You can get an early morning fog that you can launch from above the cloud layer, dance around on top of it. Depending on conditions you might not even be but 20-30 above the ground. Now I almost wish I still lived in Maryland.

You may have pushed the limits a bit but still a way cool video, and a unique set of conditions to allow it. Straight up and straight down with a thin low altitude cloud layer.

I'm not going to harp on about not having VLOS. My thoughts were more about flying through all that moisture. Surely that couldn't have been good for the aircraft?

You may have pushed the limits a bit but still a way cool video, and a unique set of conditions to allow it. Straight up and straight down with a thin low altitude cloud layer.
Thanks. I felt safe doing it, or I wouldn't have tried.

I'm not going to harp on about not having VLOS. My thoughts were more about flying through all that moisture. Surely that couldn't have been good for the aircraft?
Gee thanks :) Surprisingly, the drone was only a little wet after it landed. Not even to the point that I was concerned. I was actually more concerned for the camera. A little rag to dry things up and everything was good :)

Doesn't it get windy at higher altitudes? My greatest fear is losing control. [I'm only getting used to my new Typhoon H].

Doesn't it get windy at higher altitudes? My greatest fear is losing control. [I'm only getting used to my new Typhoon H].
I couldn't tell you one way or another scientifically, but the Typhoon H handled it like a pro. Locked on GPS and since I really didn't move around up there, I didn't notice any issues.

This is not something recommended, as you can see by the replies, but because the fog ceiling was low, I had a good chance of doing it in a safe manner. I am willing to bet that the fog Gods are not going to give me this chance again anytime soon. Happy flying.

Reactions: alex_mercer

Doesn't necessarily get stronger, but there are often wind shifts. Most aviation weather apps will report winds at 3000 ft increments.

Reactions: alex_mercer
Before you freak out, just know that I was within my limits as a pilot :) The fog was quite thick and low on this day and it might have been the very FIRST time that timing was on my side when it comes to flying the Typhoon H. Enjoy.

Have you flown in this situation before? !
Nice Vid!
A little bit of a different circumstance on my end.....cool morning over a warm lake makes for some nice low lying fog.

Thanks for the input guys. I am aware of "line of sight" and that when I said I was "within my limits", I may not have been based on that specific detail. However, going straight up and straight down, via the camera and under the 400' threshold, in a residential area I am very familiar with, I felt I was near that line.

I realize that regulations make enjoying this hobby harder and fly responsibly the other 99.9% of the time. If the fog bank would have been higher, I would have just landed and called it a day. :)

Nice video. Here you said you were under 400", but on this video on YouTube, you said you were at 1,000 feet. Even in Class G, over a residential, and w/o VLOS, this is risky not knowing who else it up there.

Great video. I will eventually do something like this also.

Way too much noise about the VLOS etc etc yadda yadda yadda. Always some 'expert' waiting to pounce. (Wait and see). Its a plastic flying camera. Chill folks.

Reactions: RedBeard
And we wonder why we have to register our drones

Nice video
If you lived in Canada you would have been breaking the law, no ifs ands or buts and punishable by a $3000.00 fine ;)

Visual-line-of-sight (VLOS)
Visual-line-of-sight means keeping your device in sight at all times. This means not flying into clouds or fog, or behind trees, buildings or other (even partial) obstructions.

New rules are in the making for the USofA so expect tighter restrictions to come your way also :eek:

Nice video
If you lived in Canada you would have been breaking the law, no ifs ands or buts and punishable by a $3000.00 fine ;)

Visual-line-of-sight (VLOS)
Visual-line-of-sight means keeping your device in sight at all times. This means not flying into clouds or fog, or behind trees, buildings or other (even partial) obstructions.

New rules are in the making for the USofA so expect tighter restrictions to come your way also :eek:
Nice video indeed, and those rule are already in effect in the USA, just don't think the FAA chases them down that much yet. I read they are going to tighten down even more in Canada, is that true Agustine?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval