Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

:FLIGHT LOG UPLOADED: HELP flashing main Blue LED at startup AND when entering "system settings" on ST16

@REMedia,
Four team members participated in this review. @h-elsner, @Steve Carr, @DoomMeister, and myself. I thank the other team members for their support. This is the result of the flight review:

The event was not triggered by a motor loss. Everything that happened during the flight, and everything changed by the crash, was the result of a bad battery. The #5 motor failed at contact with the ground, not in flight. We would recommend:
1.) Dispose of the defective battery.
2.) Ensure the GPS Module (GPS/Compass/Altimeter) and the associated connector are properly mounted and properly connected.
3.) Ensure the control Pots are clean and functioning properly.
4.) WHEN the control Pots are clean, perform a new Controller Calibration. (not before pots are clean)
5.) Ensure a fresh accelerometer calibration is performed.
6.) Ensure a new Compass Calibration is performed in an open area.
7.) Remove camera for test flight.
8.) Perform some test flights.

There's no way to get information about the defective battery. I have 2 that just started to not hold power, a newer 8050. Any way to get the serial number from the data (sorry, that might be a stupid question).

Second, I keep getting mixed answers... The rapid flashing blue lights at startup, is that normal? Up until now I had never had that happen. Are the blue lights an indication of an error?

It is normal, especially if you power up the aircraft first. The rapid blue just means it is not bound to the controller.

The Yuneec aircraft do not use smart batteries so there is no identification in the telemetry. Most of us use some type of ID system to keep track of our batteries.

Do you use the OEM charger that came with the TH or do you use a third party charger that allows you to measure IR of the battery cells, and put the batteries at storage voltage when not being used?

Second, I keep getting mixed answers... The rapid flashing blue lights at startup, is that normal? Up until now I had never had that happen. Are the blue lights an indication of an error?

"Second, I keep getting mixed answers... "
There are no mixed answers. Normal has been described for a couple different scenarios, but everyone is telling you the same thing. The pattern you are describing is normal.

"The rapid flashing blue lights at startup, is that normal?"
Yes. It is normal.

"Up until now I had never had that happen"
If at any time you saw a different pattern, then THAT was not normal.
Any time the drone is powered on and not bound, the blue light will be flashing unless overridden by another pattern of higher priority (such as the brief battery indicator in the early power up.)
Any time the drone and controller is bound, but the controller quits transmitting, (or the drone quits receiving), the blue flashing will resume until the connection is reestablished. There is a short time delay in this to accommodate occasional short losses of connection that happen when in flight. An example of this is when you exit the flightmode screen. The controller quits sending control signal to the drone. You will see the short delay, and then the blue flashing will begin. It will continue until you return to the flightmode screen and the controller automatically reestablishes the connection. This is normal.

"Are the blue lights an indication of an error?"
No. And this is the heart of the problem. It is NOT an indication of an error. We must somehow find a way to get your focus away from the blue flashing light. And we are running out of ways to repeat this same thing. The blue flashing lights you see are normal.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Anyone notice, in the compass calibration video, the ST16 is hanging from the OP’s neck during the calibration?

Everything I’ve ever read here, as well as practiced, has the controller at least 10 - 20 feet away during the calibration.

Yes, @REMedia... there is time to press the calibration start button and get to the aircraft.

Perhaps give this a try, if nothing else than to rule out calibration interference.

Good luck!

Jeff

Reactions: DoomMeister
Anyone notice, in the compass calibration video, the ST16 is hanging from the OP’s neck during the calibration?

Everything I’ve ever read here, as well as practiced, has the controller at least 10 - 20 feet away during the calibration.

Yes, @REMedia... there is time to press the calibration start button and get to the aircraft.

Perhaps give this a try, if nothing else than to rule out calibration interference.

Good luck!

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

Thanks... and yes... that is my standard practice, including leaving my phone 10 to 20 feet away. I was caught up in trying to film any lights or audibles on the H as well as any errors on the ST16, that it wasn't on top of mind at the time. I did do multiple calibrations not filmed with ST16 further away.

Thanks again

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
It is normal, especially if you power up the aircraft first. The rapid blue just means it is not bound to the controller.

I'm not sure where I read it from, but I was always told to power up ST16 first... at least wait for some type of Yuneec logo to appear and then turn on aircraft. However I think I have found the reason for the blue lights not being noticed in the past (see next post)

The Yuneec aircraft do not use smart batteries so there is no identification in the telemetry. Most of us use some type of ID system to keep track of our batteries.

Do you use the OEM charger that came with the TH or do you use a third party charger that allows you to measure IR of the battery cells, and put the batteries at storage voltage when not being used?

BATTERY QUESTIONS

Yes, I use two OEM chargers. What I have noticed, was up until about a month ago I would see the chargers flash between blue and green (balancing?) when charging. The past month, I have not seen one blue light come up and they charge quicker (in the OEM charger where it's not balancing).

1) The batteries are not that old and show no signs of bulging but do not hold a charge nearly like they did before (not even half). If the battery were to be balanced and charged correctly, would it "gain life"

2) What charger do you suggest ? Is there such thing as a "rapid charger".

3) What batteries do you suggest ?
Due to the COVID19 shutdown, realtors are shutdown in PA, my business has picked up 6x as they need some visual video footage of exterior of new listings to put on social media to catch everyones eyes and I don't have enough juice to get me through have the day sometimes. The only battery I keep finding is the 8050maha GiFi . I purchased one and it's great.... but expensive.

Once again, still learning and your knowledge is so greatly appreciated!!!

current battery setup is 2 older (less than a year) UltraX 6200mAh , just recently started losing power and I think one was in the H when it lost power. 1 brand new 8050mAh GiFi

@h-elsner, @Steve Carr, @DoomMeister, @WTFDproject

STARTING TO MAKE SENSE ?

I now remember why I went out to "practice" with the H, 6 months earlier I purchased a parts drone (for arms, clips, landing gears, etc) and it came with an ST16 + (?) , the version with two longer antennas with the short one in the middle. I had currently been using the original ST16 that I had used since I got the drone. I finally got around to upgrading the firmware in that newer ST16 and binding it to the H the evening before, so I took it out to see how it would go. This was my first time noticing the blue lights which I understand are normal now. I think my older ST16 was giving a long green battery indicator, then an audible for binding, and then straight to the purple lights. I was on a completely new controller.

I have uploaded my Teletrometry set from ST16 I had been using up until that day!

IN YOUR REVIEW =

1) There were multiple comments about "pots" that needed cleaned and items needing calibrated on the ST16. Does the ST16 in this NEW data set seem to show better movement in the sticks, etc?

2) Are you seeing many compass errors in this data set (like the original on)?

once again, you guys are awesome -- Jared

Attachments

• PreviousFlightLogREMedia.zip
    22.4 MB · Views: 5
I have uploaded my Teletrometry set from ST16 I had been using up until that day!
1) There were multiple comments about "pots" that needed cleaned and items needing calibrated on the ST16. Does the ST16 in this NEW data set seem to show better movement in the sticks, etc?

2) Are you seeing many compass errors in this data set (like the original on)?

There were multiple comments about "pots" that needed cleaned and items needing calibrated on the ST16. Does the ST16 in this NEW data set seem to show better movement in the sticks, etc?
Yes, it does look much better. But let me expand a little on that:
Controller in the first data set: This one has had a problem with throttle channel since at least November of 2016. However, the original problem seems to have been a calibration issue, not so much an actual pot issue. It went into storage about April of 2017, in Columbus, Ohio. It's next use was three years later, at your location. By this time, both Throttle and Yaw were showing significant problems that appear related to the actual pots. Since this newer issue appears to be lack of use, it is possible that a short period of vigorous "Stirring" of the left stick might clear at least the Yaw issue, and possibly both. If you can get the sticks to where they look smooth and consistent in Hardware Monitor, you can then use the "Secret Menu" to correct the calibration issue.
Controller in the second data set: Good as is.

Are you seeing many compass errors in this data set (like the original on)?
First, you have to understand the compass errors are in the drone itself. The controller is only recording them. It does not matter which controller is in use. There have always been some compass errors. They were previously pretty insignificant, and some indication exists they may be related to the flying environment of the particular flights. The big change came with the recent crash. You won't really know if it's improved until you get additional flights.

If the battery were to be balanced and charged correctly, would it "gain life"
No. Sorry. But that one is toast.

I'm pretty sure the calibration failed due to no blinking LED's on the arms? (back in Post #18)
When I saw this comment, my thought was "Why does he think the LEDs should blink?" So I checked the manual. To my surprise, the manual says they blink. Both versions of the manual say it. But they don't. I did a compass cal on mine, and my LEDs do not blink. I asked a couple other members if their TH LEDs blink to indicate a successful compass cal. Nope. Theirs don't blink either.
The video you posted looks like a successful Compass Cal.

There were multiple comments about "pots" that needed cleaned and items needing calibrated on the ST16. Does the ST16 in this NEW data set seem to show better movement in the sticks, etc?
Yes, it does look much better. But let me expand a little on that:
Controller in the first data set: This one has had a problem with throttle channel since at least November of 2016. However, the original problem seems to have been a calibration issue, not so much an actual pot issue. It went into storage about April of 2017, in Columbus, Ohio. It's next use was three years later, at your location. By this time, both Throttle and Yaw were showing significant problems that appear related to the actual pots. Since this newer issue appears to be lack of use, it is possible that a short period of vigorous "Stirring" of the left stick might clear at least the Yaw issue, and possibly both. If you can get the sticks to where they look smooth and consistent in Hardware Monitor, you can then use the "Secret Menu" to correct the calibration issue.
Controller in the second data set: Good as is.

Are you seeing many compass errors in this data set (like the original on)?
First, you have to understand the compass errors are in the drone itself. The controller is only recording them. It does not matter which controller is in use. There have always been some compass errors. They were previously pretty insignificant, and some indication exists they may be related to the flying environment of the particular flights. The big change came with the recent crash. You won't really know if it's improved until you get additional flights.

If the battery were to be balanced and charged correctly, would it "gain life"
No. Sorry. But that one is toast.

I'm pretty sure the calibration failed due to no blinking LED's on the arms? (back in Post #18)
When I saw this comment, my thought was "Why does he think the LEDs should blink?" So I checked manual.
To my surprise, the manual says they blink. Both versions of the manual say it. But they don't. I did a compass cal on mine, and my LEDs do not blink. I asked a couple other members if their TH LEDs blink to indicate a successful compass cal. Nope. Theirs don't blink either.
The video you posted looks like a successful Compass Cal.
HI WTFDproject,
You and the team do a fantastic job, we are lucky to have all of you for guidance and tuition. Everybody seems to think that they can take the H out after 4 or 6 months locked away and it will continue as previous flight. There are MAINTAINANCE ISSUES and MANUAL that all should go through. That may help with all of these issues. WE ARE VERY LUCKY ON THIS FORUM HAVING SUCH KNOWLEDGEABLE MEMBERS AND THAT GIVE FREELY OF THEIR TIME AND ADVICE.
Thank ALL of YOU, John Hennessy.

The original question was about the erratic behaviour after repair. However, here my thoughts about the crash flight:

Would you take a look at the telemetry when low voltage 2 is triggered and the AC starts climbing. The Remote shows Ch0 throttle being in throttle down position but the aircraft continues to climb. Curious what your take is on that.
- The unexpected climbing starts at the same time as the compass calibration errors starts to appear. But may be a coincidence. I prefer your theorie that the aircraft raises RTH due to low battery.
- I do not believe that the battery was changed for the second (short) flight in the 00042 flight log. The voltage fell down fast to the previous value. For this flight battery problems are not unusual.
- I'm pretty sure that Motor error (Motor 5) and Emergency flight mode occur after the aircraft hits the the ground.
- If there was a lost prop, this may happen at 16:18:25 when the voltage drops. Reason is more power needed after this incident and the battery was already low before. Then all comes together, compass error, RTH, extremly low batt and the aircrafts decline with ~7m/s wich is pretty fast (should be limited to 3m/s). No more power to work against that available.
- I saw in many other flight logs that during extremly low battery often many Compass Calibration Flags are set. Maybe this is caused by under-voltage. Same here in this case.

-------------------------------------------

Now to the behaviour after repair. I think the first test flight is number 00045.

- A lot of compass errors at this place. This may result in erratic flight behaviour but there is not much visible in roll/pitch/yaw according that.
- Roll is at -3% all the time. This leads to a mild side drift which is seen in roll.
- Altidude follows throttle stick, All other sticks have no significant movements.
- Flight duration is less than 1min but voltage goes down to ~60%. I don't like this battery.
- GPS is good.
- Altitude measurement is strange (hpefully it will be better when acc cali was done).

What I would do now in this case before fiddle around with the HW:
- Clean and calibrate stick potis at ST16. Check if all at zero value in middle position.
- Repeat a proper compass calibration. Start it with aircraft directed to north.
- Connect the aircraft to the GUI and make a accelerometer calibration. This is easy.
- Check in GUI if the icon points to north whet the aircraft is directed to north. If not (more than 20° difference), there is still a compass problem.
- Do another test with speed slider on rabbit (fast) without camera.
- If OK do tests with camera.
- Grab flightlog from this tests, remember when it was so that you/we can assign the tests to the log files.

br HE

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval