Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H920 replacement battery

Don’t feel bad, I run into problems uploading photos when more than one is being posted. Even if you have the cursor correctly placed the software here screws with the sequencing and often posts a single photo twice instead if two different ones. We won’t get into full size or thumb nail images right now. It can be very frustrating.

I misunderstood one of your earlier posts. I did not buy adapters, I made them.

I read back through entire. Post and. Figured out that's what you meant .I don't mind. Using. The ec3 as primary since the 920+ is the only thing they will be used on but a standard soldering iron like I have is not really what's needed to be consistent.

Reactions: thoneter
Well I did get to inbox it and turn it on basically everything comes on and does what it's supposed to it heats up quick. And heat gun auto cool down and shut off. After that crank up test my day got crazy but I'm going to use the solder gun tomorrow and post results. Its built pretty well. And the pen solder sucker and a lot of extra types of tips come with it

Heat up time to set temp less than 2 mins
Ok soldering station seems to do well .it's a lot better than a straight wattage iron.I even used the rework hot air iron and soldered a connector with it.great for the money

That’s great!

There’s only one thing that bothers me about converting the battery plug to an EC3 but as we can only fit two Zippy’s in the well it probably doesn’t matter. An EC3 has a max current rating of 30 amps and I’ve measured take off current loading over 76 amps. Two EC3’s can consistently handle 60 amps but I don’t know how long they will hold up carrying more.

As we end up with a pair of EC3’s when using adapters the end result is the same as converting the battery plug.

Keep up the good work! Flying two sets of stock batteries today in no wind conditions the best I could get out of them was about 12 minutes of constant slow maneuvering and recording before getting hounded by the first battery warning. Worse, just after that the system would not permit any more video recording. The Zippy’s did much, much better. The possibility of an additional 5-8 minutes of “Zippy time” before the first warning would be outstanding.

The reason I’m so obsessed with the first battery warning is because it’s extremely annoying due to multiple pop up windows and causes a lot of distractions clearing the repeated pop ups. Much to interruptive of what you are working on.

Hi Pat. Do you remember me? Unhappy with having bought a Tornado H920 Plus, I opened a discussion with the title: "Are you convinced you have made a good deal by buying a Tornado H920 Plus?" You intervened saying to be happy even if the flight times were much lower than those advertised by the company of "Chinese mardi" for whom I asked for a class action.
Yuneec with its products put on the market with hidden problems, rather than solve them, with the nefarious trade policy, has created new models, abandoning their previous models to their fate, damaging all consumers. The most obvious case: the Tornado H920 replaced by the H920 Plus and the latter, with serious problems of autonomy, definitively abandoned. As a result the H920 Plus purchased a year ago at 4,500 euros, is now sold at 2,500 euros and will be on the market at Christmas for less than 2,000 euros. I will no longer buy yuneec products. And you?

I remember well. I completely agree Yuneec screwed the 920 customer base when they tricked them into converting them to a 920 Plus by calling it an upgrade. I’m a little disappointed in the 920 owners as well for failing to look into what the conversion would do before sending one in for the “upgrade”. Had they done so they might not have allowed Yuneec to screw them.

Where reduced flight time is concerned, I’m not sure why the conversion altered max flight time but we now recognize that Yuneec batteries were aging, even those sold new by Yuneec. Buying new batteries from Yuneec brought us batteries with elevated internal resistance that held no hope of performing as well as a “new” battery should so buying Yuneec batteries only perpetuated the problem. In this I fault both Yuneec for failing to order more batteries from suppliers to assure “fresh” inventory, and the dealers for failing to pressure Yuneec on battery aging and for failing to advise 920 owners of likely decreased battery performance because of old age. The dealers had to know as only those lacking experience with lipo batteries would be unaware of problems associated with old batteries. Yet they remained silent. As you know, an independent solution for the flight time issue was found and published, at a cost far lower than what buying Yuneec batteries could possibly resolve. Note that dealers attempting to mimic that solution priced their new batteries at a much higher price than individual customers could obtain independently. From that alone we might assume that dealers are not our friends, just business people.

As for my purchase of a 920 Plus, by the time I did so the Plus had been in play for enough time that performance info from owners was available on the web. Although that info was difficult to collate because 920 owners often did little to post info related to the 920, the 920 Plus, the cameras, and videos demonstrating camera capabilities, there was enough info spread across various venues to make a qualified decision. I knew pretty much exactly how the Plus would perform while understanding it was “end of the line” where factory support is concerned. Because of this I bought with my “eyes wide open”, with the full understanding that what I bought was all I would ever get. Like you I paid much more for it than people would only a week later. That was very irritating, and still is but that’s business. Manufacturers and retailers are in business to make money, as much money as they can, and few remain in business very long if they tell potential customers to hold off buying because prices will be reduced in a week or a month. I have yet to see a hobby business that participates in “price matching” programs.

It may come across as egotistical but it’s quite possible those price reductions were indirectly my fault. At least the timing of them because until I started posting of my desire to buy a 920 and experiences with it there was virtually no 920 activity in the various forums. 920 Plus sales suddenly increased and that increase may have been the driver that caused Yuneec and dealers to decide that moment in time would be good to assist clearing the shelves of old inventory that had been gathering dust. Reducing prices when product interest is apparent is a great way to move more product, especially if the desire to reduce inventory to zero is present.

In closing, I received an aircraft that delivered exactly the general flight performance I expected. The batteries were an unwelcome surprise but thanks to those discussing flight time on the web I got a head start on finding an inexpensive solution. That others could have made the same discovery a year or more earlier and saved themselves and others a lot of money is a tale for another day. My 920 Plus performs as advertised, while the camera and gimbal are in my opinion as good or better than anything Yuneec sells in their current line up. In some aspects I know it to be better. So I am quite happy with my 920 Plus.

As I’ve said before, those that bought an original 920 and submitted them for conversion to a Plus are well justified in being angry and feeling betrayed. That in itself provides them cause to avoid buying further Yuneec products. For others Yuneec has generated other reasons to defer or avoid purchasing more from them, a category I fall into.

Nobody should buy any multirotor, especially an expensive one, until they know it will work as advertised, that firmware is safe and bug free, that the product will suit their mission requirements, and they know it will be reliable. The onus of establishing flight and firmware performance is on the manufacturers. Determining that features and functions are suitable for the buyer is a buyer responsibility. We should know what we are getting before we make a purchase decision. Only the individual buyers can make such decisions and hopefully they are mature enough to perform their due diligence before making a purchase. If they lack the ability to perform due diligence they are not qualified to make important decisions. To blindly believe manufacturer advertising and manufacturer rep statements to qualify a purchase decision is very, very foolish.

Last edited:
I remember well. I completely agree Yuneec screwed the 920 customer base when they tricked them into converting them to a 920 Plus by calling it an upgrade. I’m a little disappointed in the 920 owners as well for failing to look into what the conversion would do before sending one in for the “upgrade”. Had they done so they might not have allowed Yuneec to screw them.

Where reduced flight time is concerned, I’m not sure why the conversion altered max flight time but we now recognize that Yuneec batteries were aging, even those sold new by Yuneec. Buying new batteries from Yuneec brought us batteries with elevated internal resistance that held no hope of performing as well as a “new” battery should so buying Yuneec batteries only perpetuated the problem. In this I fault both Yuneec for failing to order more batteries from suppliers to assure “fresh” inventory, and the dealers for failing to pressure Yuneec on battery aging and for failing to advise 920 owners of likely decreased battery performance because of old age. The dealers had to know as only those lacking experience with lipo batteries would be unaware of problems associated with old batteries. Yet they remained silent. As you know, an independent solution for the flight time issue was found and published, at a cost far lower than what buying Yuneec batteries could possibly resolve. Note that dealers attempting to mimic that solution priced their new batteries at a much higher price than individual customers could obtain independently. From that alone we might assume that dealers are not our friends, just business people.

As for my purchase of a 920 Plus, by the time I did so the Plus had been in play for enough time that performance info from owners was available on the web. Although that info was difficult to collate because 920 owners often did little to post info related to the 920, the 920 Plus, the cameras, and videos demonstrating camera capabilities, there was enough info spread across various venues to make a qualified decision. I knew pretty much exactly how the Plus would perform while understanding it was “end of the line” where factory support is concerned. Because of this I bought with my “eyes wide open”, with the full understanding that what I bought was all I would ever get. Like you I paid much more for it than people would only a week later. That was very irritating, and still is but that’s business. Manufacturers and retailers are in business to make money, as much money as they can, and few remain in business very long if they tell potential customers to hold off buying because prices will be reduced in a week or a month. I have yet to see a hobby business that participates in “price matching” programs.

It may come across as egotistical but it’s quite possible those price reductions were indirectly my fault. At least the timing of them because until I started posting of my desire to buy a 920 and experiences with it there was virtually no 920 activity in the various forums. 920 Plus sales suddenly increased and that increase may have been the driver that caused Yuneec and dealers to decide that moment in time would be good to assist clearing the shelves of old inventory that had been gathering dust. Reducing prices when product interest is apparent is a great way to move more product, especially if the desire to reduce inventory to zero s present.

In closing, I received an aircraft that delivered exactly the general flight performance I expected. The batteries were an unwelcome surprise but thanks to those discussing flight time on the web I got a head start on finding an inexpensive solution. That others could have made the same discovery a year or more earlier and saved themselves and others a lot of money is a tale for another day. My 920 Plus performs as advertised, while the camera and gimbal are in my opinion as good or better than anything Yuneec sells in their current line up. In some aspects I know it to be better. So I am quite happy with my 920 Plus.

As I’ve said before, those that bought an original 920 and submitted them for conversion to a Plus are well justified in being angry and feeling betrayed. That in itself provides them cause to avoid buying further Yuneec products. For others Yuneec has generated other reasons to defer or avoid purchasing more from them, a category I fall into.

Nobody should buy any multirotor, especially an expensive one, until they know it will work as advertised, that firmware is safe and bug free, that the product will suit their mission requirements, and they know it will be reliable. The onus of establishing flight and firmware performance is on the manufacturers. Determining that features and functions are suitable for the buyer is a buyer responsibility. We should know what we are getting before we make a purchase decision. Only the individual buyers can make such decisions and hopefully they are mature enough to perform their due diligence before making a purchase. If they lack the ability to perform due diligence they are not qualified to make important decisions. To blindly believe manufacturer advertising and manufacturer rep statements to qualify a purchase decision is very, very foolish.
If one waited till the firmware was safe, bug free, suited their mission requirements and was reliable they'd only be flying kites!

Reactions: biltno
Some good news here but I don’t know how far it will go. I’m in conversation with a battery maker about making something for the 920. In addition, there are other single batteries that will fit inside the 920 battery compartment but there is a need to create a multi connector adapter to use them. You don’t want all the current running through a single EC-3 aircraft connection.

Where the 920 fits an existing need it’s a great system. It could stand some minor improvements, standardizing all the firmware, and ST-16 software fixes, which would require a minimum of attention on Yuneec’s part. Even if left unresolved those things are not all that much of an impact on the users.

I completely agree with users making a joint request for system attention to Yuneec. Publish it in their corporate Facebook page and all the most widely read multirotor forums for public visibility.
Pat did you mean you are trying to avoid using the yuneec battery or you can get one through yuneec USA?
Maybe their site is wrong but it is showing them For 279.99

Theoneter,

I don’t believe that to be true as those flying earlier 3DR APM and original Pixhawk systems had few problems of critical significance. They still don’t. Those flying later Pixhawk systems that take the time to learn and understand them don’t either, as at least Boeing offshoots and the U.S. Navy have found out, along with Intel and other producers of highly capable commercial drones. We can’t do anything about 3DR not only failing their customers but also themselves with extremely poor decisions but we could if desired force other manufacturers to deliver better systems if we would not buy them until they did. We won’t ever obtain the best that can be had if we feel they have to originate in the land of “best plice and fried lice”. We can buy on impulse or after performing deep research and doing a little simple math. If price and convenience are the prime motivators we will always have less than we could have.

That won’t happen as people have been conditioned into believing they need to repeatedly buy new product releases to obtain the performance they hope for. They fail to understand that most all they would want or need has been available for a long time, but they cost a lot more up front than a less capable, less expensive machine. It comes down to single purchase affordability. It appears on the surface cheaper to buy a series of less capable systems than one very expensive system. I don’t believe that process is true. How can we expect to obtain a stellar drone system for less than the cost of a high end, full frame DSLR and obtain similar imagery? Ain’t gonna happen.

For those that have participated in this folly, if they were to add up the combined purchase prices of their smaller systems chasing minor performance upgrades they might find that total to be quite a lot of money. DJI released a slew of different models, depending on people to buy more and more in sequence to obtain satisfaction. Yuneec has released fewer and used firmware upgrades to increase performance, but never expanding performance as much as they could, which in turn kept people buying their products with hopes they would eventually become more over time. Pure marketing strategy from both manufacturers but taking different paths.

I fell into that trap as well. Looking at what I have on the shelves and adding up total expenditures I would have kept money in the bank had I bought one really good system with full expansion capability after developing the necessary operational skills. Just about all of the expensive, more capable and expandable systems maintain full functionality for years. All that’s needed is to purchase more batteries as needed, batteries of standard case and connector design much less expensive but as good or better than proprietary stuff. As new firmware code is developed it’s downloaded from the web for upgrading. Different payloads can be swapped in and out at will and as new payloads are developed. Buying a new payload is a lot more efficient than buying a complete new system. The true beneficiaries of those sequential platform marketing strategies are the manufacturers, not us.

But we are who we are and most are topically cost conscious, seeing only the immediate cost instead of taking a longer view. Advertising and marketing are fully cognizant of our psychology and financial perspectives. We doom ourselves and commit the same error over and over again. That makes manufacturers very happy.

Consumers fail to realize they are the ones that control a consumer market. They only need to exercise their power and refuse to make a purchase until a product delivers what they want and need. when manufacturers don’t sell product they look for the reasons why and eventually provide what customers want and will buy. If they don’t they go bankrupt.

Last edited:
I bought my 920+ after hearing about the batteries .I love mine I just did what PatR said fly zippy batteries they do great I'm getting between 25 and 27 mins with cgo4 on it depends on wind conditions I haven tried using the cgo3+ on it but I would guess 32 to 35 mins

Reactions: PatR
Pat did you mean you are trying to avoid using the yuneec battery or you can get one through yuneec USA?
Maybe their site is wrong but it is showing them For 279.99

I will not ever buy another Yuneec battery for a 920. They are certainly available but you are getting screwed, and screwing your self, at multiple levels if you do. They are tremendously over priced, they are old, have very high IR, and provide less flight time with each use. Because of the elevated IR they have the potential to fail at any time with catastrophic consequences.

Better to buy after market lipos of useful capacity and dimensions with higher quality and adapt them for use in a 920.

Reactions: Steve Carr
I seen that price... ridiculous. If I see anything in aftermarket I will post it

When we can buy 2 Zippy’s or equivalent and adapt the connectors to obtain equal or better flight time over a pair or even 3 Yuneec batteries for well under half the cost of 2 Yuneec batteries we would have to be pretty dumb to buy Yuneec 920 batteries.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy