Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H920 replacement battery

It would be nice to see them devote some attention to the 920. Batteries would be a start but they would need to revise their pricing structure for them. They only way they might justify the current battery pricing would be if a new battery set provided 2 continuous hours of flight time.
I don't disagree with that and I can tell you that the batteries will be priced at around £100 Sterling. So 2 hours flight time here we come ;)

I have to compare the cost of three Yuneec batteries and the time they provide against the cost of a couple Zippy's or a Graphene and the time they provide. The cost versus benefit is just so lopsided towards the after market batteries there's no reasonable justification for buying factory batteries. Toss in reductions for battery maintenance, reducing the number of chargers needed to charge two full sets at a time, and battery log tracking and the imbalance grows even further in favor of after market products.

Not looking a "gift horse" in the mouth but their customers would obtain considerably more benefit from some software improvements than contracting with a new battery vendor. OTOH, they would not make any money on software improvements.

I have to compare the cost of three Yuneec batteries and the time they provide against the cost of a couple Zippy's or a Graphene and the time they provide. The cost versus benefit is just so lopsided towards the after market batteries there's no reasonable justification for buying factory batteries. Toss in reductions for battery maintenance, reducing the number of chargers needed to charge two full sets at a time, and battery log tracking and the imbalance grows even further in favor of after market products.

Not looking a "gift horse" in the mouth but their customers would obtain considerably more benefit from some software improvements than contracting with a new battery vendor. OTOH, they would not make any money on software improvements.
Well, seeing as the H920 is still being marketed they have to supply it with batteries, that in fact is why i asked them , because the Tattu is no longer available and they obviously cant supply a new UAV with 2 Zippy's. I am with you on the other stuff though.
The H920 battery bay being rather limiting I am surprised nobody has developed a bracket to take larger batteries or longer ones maybe.

Appears the price has increased for the the Zippy 5000 mAh batteries. Now $63.20.

Noticed that the other day. Battery prices see saw wildly with that distributor. Wonder if it’s tied to a daily exchange rate? Could also be a retaliatory effect of trade tariff implementation.

Batteries arrived and the 75W soldering iron recently ordered had 2 versions... 1 included 1 needle tip and the other an array of tips including a nice broad tip that would pass the wattage this iron produces. Hmmm, hmmm... care to guess which purchased. :( Ordered tip set, arrived tonight... as previously noted by a knowledgable one above... fitting this gauge into EC30 tips and getting into housing isn't a "slip it in" task. After tinning the tip, allowed filing a nice plug that fit the tip snug. Overall, came out pretty good and every tip gave a nice solid "pop" when fully seated. So 3 down and 3 to go... another night. View attachment 9088
Hey Doug, can you put up a pic of your hair curler I mean soldering iron? I ordered 4 more zippy batteries and they already showed up in just a few days. Must be that MN clout! Hobbyking has the EC3 connectors for 6 bucks. EC3 Plugs (10pairs/set) Shipping is under 4 and I'm assuming if one bought another zippy the shipping might be free. Suppose to be a new record low tomorrow so I don't think I'll be checking out the 920 tomorrow.

Hey Doug, can you put up a pic of your hair curler I mean soldering iron? I ordered 4 more zippy batteries and they already showed up in just a few days. Must be that MN clout! Hobbyking has the EC3 connectors for 6 bucks. EC3 Plugs (10pairs/set) Shipping is under 4 and I'm assuming if one bought another zippy the shipping might be free. Suppose to be a new record low tomorrow so I don't think I'll be checking out the 920 tomorrow.
Sure can... I gave the Amazon link in previous post... I can look it up again and give the one with the bigger tips to handle this gauge.

Will be back home later today... :)
As you.... we're having another snow and cold temps today.

Sure can... I gave the Amazon link in previous post... I can look it up again and give the one with the bigger tips to handle this gauge.

Will be back home later today... :)
As you.... we're having another snow and cold temps today.
Getting 5 to 8 inches of the frozy h2o stuff today.
9221-d5c5cfc585d6882acb0cc152ef169cf9.jpg

I relooked at the Amazon site... the one with the extra tips didn't have many wide tips... This is the same unit I purchased with 1 small tip.
https://www.amazon.com/X-Tronic-302...3885&sr=1-1&keywords=X-Tronic+Model+#3020-XTS

This is the TIP Set that I purchased...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077V1VND5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the EC3 10pr set... your find may be better...
My 1-stop at Amazon had these for EC3's.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XC7QKF2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NOTE: to solder this gauge for a EC3 terminal. I found that doing a full "tinning", then use a file to make a tinned-plug that fits the tip's socket snuggly. Stays on while you complete the soldering. Otherwise you'll struggle getting the loose wire braids into socket.

I've completed the 6 batteries, look great but my 1st wire lead was a learning experience. Pretty big gauge for EC3.

Reactions: thoneter
I relooked at the Amazon site... the one with the extra tips didn't have many wide tips... This is the same unit I purchased with 1 small tip.
https://www.amazon.com/X-Tronic-3020-XTS-Digital-Display-Soldering/dp/B01DGZFSNE/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1523293885&sr=1-1&keywords=X-Tronic+Model+#3020-XTS

This is the TIP Set that I purchased...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077V1VND5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the EC3 10pr set... your find may be better...
My 1-stop at Amazon had these for EC3's.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XC7QKF2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NOTE: to solder this gauge for a EC3 terminal. I found that doing a full "tinning", then use a file to make a tinned-plug that fits the tip's socket snuggly. Stays on while you complete the soldering. Otherwise you'll struggle getting the loose wire braids into socket.

I've completed the 6 batteries, look great but my 1st wire lead was a learning experience. Pretty big gauge for EC3.
I may need to get this to get my batteries done. I hate having to buy all this crap to keep up with the failing tech.

I beg to differ. From my perspective “failing tech” was the introduction of “proprietary” batteries that forced users to become reliant on a single parts source. Systems that use standardized batteries and connectors don’t experience these issues, they just obtain batteries from a diverse group of sources. They maintain an independence those that are reliant on specific manufacturers for parts won’t and can’t have.

The ability to adapt after market batteries returns some of that independence while providing superior product.

We only have to look at the P1, P2, Chroma, and Q-500 to see how manufacturers have forced owners to buy new systems as batteries for their systems were phased out of production.

I may need to get this to get my batteries done. I hate having to buy all this crap to keep up with the failing tech.
On the batteries... I've been pondering a saddle tank methodology.
On the Inspire series, there's been ample ventures playing with different saddle batteries. I personally got a small 3D printed saddle plate and setup a pair of LiPo High Voltage 3S 5400 10C (25 burst) connected in series, connected in parallel connection with Main LiPo HV 6S 5400 10C, the key was maintaining equal current rates to not disturb the battery's built in "smart" circuity. The 3S provide the split balance needed on the Inspire... overall, gave a good result of about 50-60% bump to the solo main battery. The 10C 3S are pretty light, weighed less than a single 6S 5400 10-20C battery of same brand.

But the point is... aux battery instead of working to exhaustion on the limited space within the H920. Granted, keep in mind the diminishing return of weight vs energy... what that actually is on the H920 hasn't been determined since it's a heavy lifter.

If a 3D printer could make a plate that fit the top curvature of the H920 that could strap 1-2 Aux 6S batteries. If it worked, you could make a nice streamlined, visually appealing top mount to piggy back. Bore a small hole in battery door to pass connector for simplistic look or for a more pretty, weather type connection... route it under the top lid or maybe have a pigtail extension within a grommet that remains for quick connections.

Just pondering ideas... the H920 has the spare payload unlike most smaller birds.

On the weather note... Saturday prior to snow moving in Saturday night. I flew the H920 with 3 Pak OEM and 2 Pak Zippy. Hadn't had any airtime with the 920 for a bit. This was a exercise to see how the zippy's performed and to pleasure flight to feel the 920 a bit better. Was a driveway LZ in my neighborhood... so I kept it in my yard and street area... I didn't want the size of it bothering neighbors. Zippy's performed great... not an accurate time because I was practicing landing and had several off/on cycles. But I'd say easily double the OEM 3-Pak... estimate 22-24 minutes. The low battery indicator came on around 21.7. In a small yard, she is a big Hex!

That she is.

A side discovery today doing some ground camera tests while using the Turnigy 8k graphene battery as the power source.

As the tests did not require arming the motors I elected to use only one power input on the 920. Every time I tried to capture video a screen warning of “please do not operate in this mode” appeared and video would not run. The warning was applicable to every video mode attempted.

Plugging the second adapter connector into the 920, providing power to two input ports, eliminated the warning and allowed video to run.

It appears at least two battery ports must be used simultaneously for the system to function.

That she is.

A side discovery today doing some ground camera tests while using the Turnigy 8k graphene battery as the power source.

As the tests did not require arming the motors I elected to use only one power input on the 920. Every time I tried to capture video a screen warning of “please do not operate in this mode” appeared and video would not run. The warning was applicable to every video mode attempted.

Plugging the second adapter connector into the 920, providing power to two input ports, eliminated the warning and allowed video to run.

It appears at least two battery ports must be used simultaneously for the system to function.

Not to chat about other bird, but in conceptual design... Playing with saddle batteries for the Inspire, as indicated above I was pondering the same type of setup with the H920 using the open 3rd EC3 port.

This Inspire config uses the LiHV to match the Main battery, using 2x 3S 5200mAh in series and parallel with main 6S 5700mAh; both LiHV. Another small benefit besides just spreading the weight for balance of the 2x 3S in Series : Parallel to 6S is possibly the weight. As an informal comparison due to lack of multiple models in the house. The 3S @ 5200mAh 10C/25 weigh 647g (pair), the 6S Zippy Compact @ 5000mAh weigh 668g and they are one of the lighter 5000mah LiPo.

A 3D printed mount would provide the 920's topside payload mount point.
Could be 2 large 3S <S> or 2 good sized S6 <P>.

SadBag1.jpg SadBag2.jpg SadBag3.jpg

So is the goal to have these mounted outside the battery bay to use the 3rd battery port? If so is this option good because of balance and a reduction in weight? That's the best I can do to wrap my little grey matter around this!

So is the goal to have these mounted outside the battery bay to use the 3rd battery port? If so is this option good because of balance and a reduction in weight? That's the best I can do to wrap my little grey matter around this!
Limitation is the battery bay, the H920 itself has a pretty hefty payload limit beyond the CGO4. If could carry additional batteries, up the point of weight vs energy ratio become zero. As you add batteries, you won't receive the same "per cell time" due to adding weight the payload, but you should gain minutes.

Yep, make a 3D Plate that fits the curvature of the top housing placing 2 cells on each side of the lids curvature or 1 down the center. As an experiment, HD velcro tape could be use to experiment the extended Time of mAh to weight.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss